True Online Upload Speed Problems

JPDiaz85

Hi, I run a server from home and recently upgraded to True's 300/100 Mbps fiber obtic package for faster upload speeds. Everything was working fine for about a week or so but then the internet stopped working for a few hours on Saturday. When it finally started working again I noticed that when I test the upload speed from a server within Thailand the upload speed tests perfectly fine at around 95 Mbps but when I test the speed with a server outside of Thailand (Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Malaysia, Singapore) it's dramatically reduced to around 10 Mbps. I've called True and they claim they are not sure what the problem is so they are sending out a tech. Anyone know what the issue might be?

They don't know.

I would bet that is true.  

Ha. 

But they SHOULD KNOW. 

Their response is always same.  Send a tech out.  Sometimes they find something sometimes they don't. They have a near monopoly and are about as efficient as you can expect from a monopoly

Yes I had a True tech not turn up and then lie about it!

I too am having speed issues with True to international servers, seems worse at weekends.

Can't figure out if they are blocking some streaming or it is a network/gateway issue either. Sometimes switching in a VPN helps but not always.

Believe me....it's just True's slow "international" gateway since your in-Thailand upload speed is fine.  

Using Speedtest.net with my AIS Fibre 200/50 plan which really gives a 60Mb upload speed I tested to Singapore, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar, and Malaysia...that is, all the countries around Thailand like the OP tested to plus I threw in Myanmar (Burma).  I got a little of 60Mb upload  speed to each of those countries around Thailand.

Now the OP didn't specify how he did the upload tests....which speed tester he was using as that can make a big difference in download/upload results in many cases....or whether he wasn't using a speed tester at all but just doing an upload and monitoring its upload speed.

Im on a 300/70 Mbps package not a 300/100 Mbps as I mentioned earlier and the upload speed from the local server (using Speedtest) shows around 85 Mbps but when I start testing servers farther away (within Thailand) the upload speed starts showing lower results (20-50 Mbps) . When I test the speed with servers outside of Thailand (Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Malaysia) they give even lower results (5-8 Mbps). They said there's nothing there local tech's can do since its not a local issue. Another "tech team" has to check out the problem and they said they would call me back within 24 hours. It's already been 22 hours. I don't expect I'll be getting a call. Hopefully this is enough to get me out of the damn contract so I can change isp. It's almost been a week with no results.

Does anyone here use 3BB? Is there international upload speed reliable? Do they charge extra for static IP and disabling NAT? Thanks in advanced!

1 hour ago, JPDiaz85 said:

Im on a 300/70 Mbps package not a 300/100 Mbps as I mentioned earlier and the upload speed from the local server (using Speedtest) shows around 85 Mbps but when I start testing servers farther away (within Thailand) the upload speed starts showing lower results (20-50 Mbps) . When I test the speed with servers outside of Thailand (Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Malaysia) they give even lower results (5-8 Mbps). They said there's nothing there local tech's can do since its not a local issue. Another "tech team" has to check out the problem and they said they would call me back within 24 hours. It's already been 22 hours. I don't expect I'll be getting a call. Hopefully this is enough to get me out of the damn contract so I can change isp. It's almost been a week with no results.

Does anyone here use 3BB? Is there international upload speed reliable? Do they charge extra for static IP and disabling NAT? Thanks in advanced!

In this post you added one additional piece of info (which I bolded) where the upload speed also decreases when testing within Thailand to some servers.   Your opening post implied it only occurred when testing to "outside" of Thailand which would have been most likely a True "international gateway server" issue....that is, True not buying enough international bandwidth.

But since you now say it happens to some servers "within Thailand" also that routing would not be going through True international gateway; it would be staying on their "domestic gateway" so their international gateway would not be a player.  Something else is going on with your connection....my guess would be it's not a local issue but a issue with your account/how they have your connection setup on True's certain servers probably in Bangkok.   Also, there's an outside chance it could be your router but an upload speed problem should appear regardless of the server you are connecting to...even a server across the soi.

Also, keep in mind all Speedtest.net servers, or any speed tester test servers around the world, are created equal.  That is, say Speedtest has multiple test servers at one city....like how Los Angeles using has 5 different severs to select. Although these severs are located in the same city you can get widely varying download and upload speeds when testing to all five...or at least I have experience that when testing to all of them over just a few minutes timespan.  Obviously each sever does not have the same bandwidth capacity and/or the final few kilometers connection has varying bandwidth.

Anyway, I just tested to probably every Speedtest.net server in Thailand and a lot of the Thailand locations/cities only have one server to select from so it didn't take long.   I got full upload speed to each location except one which gave me 45Mb upload  speed.  

But when testing to the Khon Kaen location where they had two severs, while I didn't get decreased upload speed on my AIS 200/50 plan (it actually give me 60Mb upload speed), I noticed the Khon Kaen University server gave really low download speed (I repeated the test several times with similar results), but the AIS server at Khon Kaen gave me full speed.   Appears the Khon Kaen University server is having a bandwidth issue right now on the download side.

Khon Kaen: AIS server

6642506403.png

Khon Kaen:  Khon Kaen University server

6642509815.png

Thanks for the info @Pib. Now that I think about it, it could very well have something to do with how my account is set up. After I upgraded to my latest package and everything was installed I was told I had to go return the old modem and close the old account which was around a week before I started having issues. They said it would take several days before the account would be closed. Then, last Saturday the internet went down for a few hours and when it came back I started noticing the upload speed issues. I'll see if they can do something with my account to try and fix the issue. Thanks again!

Good luck.  Your upload speed problem is a strange one.   I guess it could be bandwidth issues in your local area where ever you are in Thailand.  You never did say where you were at in Thailand....Bangkok, Pattaya, Chiang Mai, some little town in the sticks, etc.   But it's True problem to solve....keep on them.

Years back when I was on a True DOCSIS (cable) 20/2 plan right after True did a unannounced system-wide upgrade my upload speed went way down...could no longer get 2Mb...lucky to get 1Mb to a test server even across the soi.   It took True techs around 5 days to figure out my problem as they came out with several new routers, checked my line, checked the trunk  line in my moobaan, and simply could not figure out/fix my upload speed problem.   On one day the had three crews around my house checking the trunk line/equipment on the line, replaced my line, etc.  Nothing helped.  

Then, after more and more people called in with the same problem over the next few days True narrowed it down to certain models of Cisco routers....and the new routers they initially tried to fix my problem was Cisco routers.  Anyway,  the techs came again to the house on about the 5th day and said we have a fix...they brought router from a different manufacture (can't remember the name now....maybe it was a Huawei)...it fixed my upload speed problem.   

They said their engineers had finally figured out the system-wide upgrade they did to their DOCSIS (cable) system simply did not agree with the firmware with some of the Cisco router models many customers had (and I had one of the affected models).  So, they had to swap out certain Cisco router models with a different manufacturers router.    But it took their engineers days to figure that out and apparently due to the high number complaints from customers with the Cisco routers....the engineers finally put 2 and 2 together to find the problem.

Finally got my upload speed fixed!

Turns out there was a fire and some of cables that led to my area were burnt down. They replaced them but ever since the upload wasn't working. After about a week of tech's coming in and out they finally decided to change the modem (something I told them to do like 5 days ago) and that fixed the issue.

I'm curious to know how a fire on one of the cable lines can cause the router the malfunction.

Anyway, thanks for all the help guys!

Since the router must "generate" the upload signal maybe the burnt cables upstream forced the router transmit/upload circuit to damage itself....like needing to put out a higher power level in trying to maintain a good upload stream....kinda like overheating/damaging itself.

Or maybe, True just did a system-wide internet system update that didn't agree with the firmware in your router....like what happened to me one time as described in my post above.