Siam declares war!

webfact

9 hours ago, otherstuff1957 said:

So, I went to Wikipedia to see what the troops actually did in Europe, and didn't find that info....

BUT, I did find that about 90% of the article in the op was copy/pasted from Wikipedia! :shock1: 

Normal, standard thesis writing technique. 

Interesting, Thailand declared war about three months after the Americans declared and six before the Russians pulled out.

I'd love to know what they did?

BTW, there was a flu epidemic in 1918 which killed 40% of the US troops, so maybe that was what killed the Thai lads.

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

15 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

"so called Treaty of Versailles" - no, it is actually called that.

"so called Allies" no the side which Thailand supported and served with was called "the Allies". Their opponents were called "the Axis", fyi.

And every man, woman, and often child, that served in that horrendous carnage deserves to be remembered. 100 years ago the third battle of Ypres was raging. Casualties were dreadful. More chance and luck as to who survives or get's injured. Many died from disease while well away from the front. 

Mmmm - no, 'don't think so.  The German, Austro-Hungarian, Italian alliance was known as the Triple Alliance (von Bismarck's brainchild) until 1915 (when, if memory serves, Italy kind of changed sides and declared war on Austria-Hungary).  The alliance of Britain, France and Russia was known as the "Triple Entente".  I've only ever heard or seen the term "Axis" used in reference to the German-Italian alliance in WWII.

I've never seen any reference whatsoever - outside of the Wiki article which is vague - to any significant or even mentionable contribution by the small Thai contingent to the war effort.  I think the greater significance had to do with territorial cessions prior to the war which Siam hoped to reverse at least in part by joining France in the conflict. 

Two soldiers died before their departure to France, and the remainder perished from accidents or disease. The front line was reached but they were labor rather than fighters. The airmen were considered but not accepted for high altitude flight without retraining. Still, good that Siamese could join the parade that marked the end.

Edited by Purdey