Daikon a/c units - good or bad?

7 hours ago, THAIJAMES said:

Yes, not the ducted system in the west going through the whole house. 

With this system, each room has its own unit hidden in the ceiling with the ducts for intake and output in the same room.  Separated enough to get good air circulation.  I love them because they are out of sight, just grills on the ceiling.  Plus instead of having to cool the whole house you can cool room by room same as wall mounted.

I'm quite interested in that arrangement. Which manufacturer is it and did they work out much more expensive than the wall mounted exposed units.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Tofer said:

I'm quite interested in that arrangement. Which manufacturer is it and did they work out much more expensive than the wall mounted exposed units.

Have to be installed before placing the ceiling, and would have to have at least 25cm space between ceiling and concrete soffit.

Pretty much all the major brands have the duct units. The price of the actual units are slightly more expensive ( but not onerously so) but the ducting and piping is very expensive. Earlier this year I put in 7 daikin units in my house the units cost around 400k in total and the installation and ducting was another 300k

2 hours ago, trogers said:

Have to be installed before placing the ceiling, and would have to have at least 25cm space between ceiling and concrete soffit.

I designed in stepped ceiling areas to allow for concealed piping because I hate to see those chunky trunkings on the external walls. The ground floor apartment has a concrete floor above but the beams are 400 deep below the plank slab, so would be no problem. Thanks for the detail.

It would be easier for us to suspend concealed / ducted units from the soffit / roof steel framing rather than trying to establish fixing points for wall hung units on our ceiling bulkheads which would need some heavier steel support than the C-line channels I would imagine. I've tried to find fixing details on-line at Daikin but to no avail, but will call their office to get what I need if necessary.

1 hour ago, AJBangkok said:

Pretty much all the major brands have the duct units. The price of the actual units are slightly more expensive ( but not onerously so) but the ducting and piping is very expensive. Earlier this year I put in 7 daikin units in my house the units cost around 400k in total and the installation and ducting was another 300k

Thanks, that gives me a good guide on prices. 

16 hours ago, AJBangkok said:

The cost for the 7 Daikins was 350K 10 years ago, so the price has not gone up much considering.  But I don't remember paying so much for the ducting and installation.

Archived