Daikon a/c units - good or bad?

1 minute ago, Tofer said:

I usually rely on auto, but find the fan (in car) and compressor (in house) kick up a gear if the temp is turned down for a spell. Maybe it's the crappy Panasonic unit in our rented house, I know for sure it's not the most efficient.

if it's a conventional unit the compressor runs or it doesn't. there's no such thing like "kick up a gear" no matter what you set with your remote! :smile:

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Naam said:

if it's a conventional unit the compressor runs or it doesn't. there's no such thing like "kick up a gear" no matter what you set with your remote! :smile:

I get what you're saying, it's more a case of we feel a need for it to cool the room down more when we first enter, once in bed we invariably turn it down a notch.

Why do some machines in hotel rooms have a boost mode if the auto mode is meant to do the job?

No problems at all with our one year old Daikin Inverters, quiet and economical and the temperature control is excellent.

The only issue for me, the instructions are in Thai only, which I do not read, eventually found an English version on the Daikin Australia website.

In the business, we have a mixture of Mitsubishi and Haier "normal" units, both have been very reliable but the Mitsu compressors are noisier when cutting in and out.

11 hours ago, Tofer said:

I get what you're saying, it's more a case of we feel a need for it to cool the room down more when we first enter, once in bed we invariably turn it down a notch.

Why do some machines in hotel rooms have a boost mode if the auto mode is meant to do the job?

nearly all of our Daikins (except the big ceiling units) have a boost mode (Daikin calls it "powerful"). it's a convenient setting guided by a timer which let's the unit run full blast irrespective of the fan and thermostat settings. the latter come into effect again after 20 minutes.

11 hours ago, sandrabbit said:

I'm sorry but you sound like my wife, I set the AC in both house and car to run in automatic ie to control to the temperature I want but manual setting isn't as energy efficient as letting the unit do it itself and my bugbear is setting the temperature setpoint as low as possible as the unit can't work any harder than it already is.

Well, it appears, aside from me and your wife, that Daikin and a few other brands agree there is a need to override the auto setting to boost the cooling effect :)

I don't use auto in the house because the fan at low setting is not good enough for air flow comfort, so we set it at medium flow which overrides auto (fan setting) on our crappy Panasonic unit.

Our Mitsubishi Pajero a/c is generally very good but doesn't boost cooling (high fan) sufficiently on auto at our usual 25* ish setting when you first get in on a hot day, or as I said before maybe we just feel the need to get the temp down lower initially when we are boiling over from the outside heat / sun.

I will concede I am not the most technically minded when it comes to mechanical issues, but our comfort is more important than energy efficiency / cost.

Apologise to the carbon footprint greenies...:wai:

17 minutes ago, amvet said:

You can control your ac from a smart phone so it starts when you get near home. 

smart ac.jpeg

Whooosh....

Only joking, I do actually have a smart phone, but only because my wife insisted I gave up the old keypad device!

I came to Thailand to live in the beach version of the bush to get away from rampaging technology and overbearing bureaucracy, so I won't be installing that app, but thanks for the information all the same.

Maybe when this building project is finished, now I'm sort of retired, I might find time to drag myself into the 21st century.

8 hours ago, Tofer said:

Well, it appears, aside from me and your wife, that Daikin and a few other brands agree there is a need to override the auto setting to boost the cooling effect :)

I don't use auto in the house because the fan at low setting is not good enough for air flow comfort, so we set it at medium flow which overrides auto (fan setting) on our crappy Panasonic unit.

Our Mitsubishi Pajero a/c is generally very good but doesn't boost cooling (high fan) sufficiently on auto at our usual 25* ish setting when you first get in on a hot day, or as I said before maybe we just feel the need to get the temp down lower initially when we are boiling over from the outside heat / sun.

I will concede I am not the most technically minded when it comes to mechanical issues, but our comfort is more important than energy efficiency / cost.

Apologise to the carbon footprint greenies...:wai:

I was ill recently and had the heating on in the car on cool days and will do the same in December and January when the temperature drops, we live in Rayong and I've become a lizard now preferring the heat to the cool. I'm not northern European anymore plus my wife likes the AC setpoint at about 24c when I would set it to 27c. Also my advice was aimed at saving you money ........

I believe the 'boost' mode is meant to be used on machine start up inna hot room to quickly lower the air temp. with increased evaporator air flow and associated compressor activity to quickly reach the temp control set point...this is a control option as the design performance/efficiency is temporarily compromised for this purpose...

we got that feature on our inverter but not on our conventional units...seems like it should be the other way around as the inverter operation should auto adjust to handle a hot transient interior air temp whereas the conventional units would simply plod along until the temperature set point was reached, shut off and etc, thus requiring a control 'kick up the backside' feature to improve comfort...

('whew!...the ice in my vodka is already melted, someone turn on the AC...' 'it's been on fer 20mins already, ye eedjit...')

3 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

I was ill recently and had the heating on in the car on cool days and will do the same in December and January when the temperature drops, we live in Rayong and I've become a lizard now preferring the heat to the cool. I'm not northern European anymore plus my wife likes the AC setpoint at about 24c when I would set it to 27c. Also my advice was aimed at saving you money ........

Sorry to hear of your ailment, but heating really....  You must have been here a very long time to get so acclimatised. Having said that I love the heat, not the direct sun, but the humidity is a pain. We've had heavy monsoon rains today in Koh Lanta and it's quite cool, but I'm still sat in shorts and t-shirt on the balcony eating dinner with the house wide open to cool breezes.

I really appreciate your advice and concern about our expenditure but, hopefully without sounding arrogant, the day I worry about an electricity bill is the day I nail the lid down.

I ran an office in Oman some years ago and used to send the secretary out to start the car for me 10 mins before I needed it, forget any thought of it getting stolen there was no way I was getting into a steaming hot car until the a/c had got up to speed. I know I know, pitiful, but there were days when dashing between sites and meetings I would end up having as many as 5 showers, and I didn't have the time as I was already working 16 hrs a day 6.5 days a week to keep on top of the work load. 

Hope you are back in rude health now.

13 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

I believe the 'boost' mode is meant to be used on machine start up inna hot room to quickly lower the air temp. with increased evaporator air flow and associated compressor activity to quickly reach the temp control set point...this is a control option as the design performance/efficiency is temporarily compromised for this purpose...

we got that feature on our inverter but not on our conventional units...seems like it should be the other way around as the inverter operation should auto adjust to handle a hot transient interior air temp whereas the conventional units would simply plod along until the temperature set point was reached, shut off and etc, thus requiring a control 'kick up the backside' feature to improve comfort...

('whew!...the ice in my vodka is already melted, someone turn on the AC...' 'it's been on fer 20mins now, ye eedjit...')

That's exactly what I meant by my earlier comment 'kick up a gear', as I'm too impatient to wait for it to plod along. Seems I am doing the right thing after all.

No a/c for us tonight, and my dinner wine stayed at a pleasant temperature throughout dinner. The frogs chant was a bit intrusive though.

If you're on Koh Lanta go visit some very good friends at Harry's Steakhouse & Sportsbar, say to Chantana that Butterball recommended you (my wife and she  used to work for her). Luckily we live in the driest part of Thailand just onshore from Koh Samet (not going to enter pissing games with anyone over this) and we've heard it's a short season down there. After living in India for 4 yrs the Indian Ocean monsoon is way worse than being on the gulf but more picturesque I presume. There is another point to auto settings in that they are generally more gentle on the units than compressor and fan(s) running constantly at full tilt thus giving a longer lifespan and less breakdowns. If there's not enough airflow have a floor fan running as it will be cheaper to replace that than the AC evaporator fan in the unit. 

Boost is as Naam said, the unit running at 100% fan speed and the compressor running constantly on a timer.

10 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

If you're on Koh Lanta go visit some very good friends at Harry's Steakhouse & Sportsbar, say to Chantana that Butterball recommended you (my wife and she  used to work for her). Luckily we live in the driest part of Thailand just onshore from Koh Samet (not going to enter pissing games with anyone over this) and we've heard it's a short season down there. After living in India for 4 yrs the Indian Ocean monsoon is way worse than being on the gulf but more picturesque I presume. There is another point to auto settings in that they are generally more gentle on the units than compressor and fan(s) running constantly at full tilt thus giving a longer lifespan and less breakdowns. If there's not enough airflow have a floor fan running as it will be cheaper to replace that than the AC evaporator fan in the unit. 

Boost is as Naam said, the unit running at 100% fan speed and the compressor running constantly on a timer.

You're quite right a stand fan would be more economic but our rented property has a bedroom that you can barely walk around the bed, certainly no room for a fan.

We're only in it because it's reasonably well appointed and is near to our site. Not much choice in this delightful backwater. Yes the season is very short, but that's not altogether a bad thing on a tourist island when you want peace and tranquility, hence our East coast location away from the tourist beaches on the sunset coast.

Our house will have ceiling fans and insect mesh at the windows so we can enjoy the fresh air, hopefully with little need for a/c.

Where is Harry's, not sure I've seen it?

2 hours ago, Tofer said:

This forum is a godsend wherein you can access knowledge and expert / user opinion, and I thank you all for your contributions and good natured banter.

if you think this comment will make us demand less beer when visiting you then....

you are very wrong! :angry:

2 hours ago, sandrabbit said:

worthwhile to mention: on "powerful" (boost) the fan speed of my wall-mounted Daikin units is higher than the regular maximum speed (6).

20 hours ago, Naam said:

if you think this comment will make us demand less beer when visiting you then....

you are very wrong! :angry:

Drat, I've been rumbled!

I think I can stretch to a beer or two even, and you would be most welcome to drop in and visit if you're in the area. Just don't forget your tool kit, as you seem to be fairly handy.....

Pm if you ever want to call in, I can't promise the ritz, like what you appear to be used to, but the location and views are to die for.

On 21/09/2017 at 8:45 PM, Tofer said:

Where is Harry's, not sure I've seen it?

never been there and shut down for most of the year but on your hated west coast lol. 

http://www.inspirephuketkrabi.com/phuket-krabi/grand-opening-party-harrys-steakhouse-sportsbar-koh-lanta-saturday-2nd-september-2017/

we were invited to fly down from Rayong but couldn't because of resort business, if you meet Chan you will see why she fronts a business well. 

21 hours ago, sandrabbit said:

never been there and shut down for most of the year but on your hated west coast lol. 

http://www.inspirephuketkrabi.com/phuket-krabi/grand-opening-party-harrys-steakhouse-sportsbar-koh-lanta-saturday-2nd-september-2017/

we were invited to fly down from Rayong but couldn't because of resort business, if you meet Chan you will see why she fronts a business well. 

Got it, thanks. I know now exactly where, in fact we were at the bank there the other week and I commented a bar had opened. We will call in one day and mention Butterball.

I only dislike the West coast North from Klong Kong as it's a bit ramshackle and commercial, South of there is very beautiful, great beaches and sparsely / sympathetically developed.

We have friends in Mae Ram Peung, so when we visit again we might look you up.

I have 7 Duct Connected Type (hidden above ceiling) Daikin air conditioners which are 10 years old and have never given me a problem. 

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on how they should be serviced?  since the units are above ceiling and covered by ducts, how do you service them besides checking the compressor?  The only items that are accessible are in the intake and output grills which are flush with the ceiling.

Thanks in advance.

Just now, sandrabbit said:

I use google UK for all my searches

Never thought that would make a difference.  Wondering what else am I missing out on in search land.

Regarding the air conditioners.  I don't have any filters and the grills don't seem like they are dirty.  (that must not be good as dust must be getting into the coils)   Would the answer be to get in there and vacuum as much as possible and install filters in the intake vents?

1 minute ago, THAIJAMES said:

Never thought that would make a difference.  Wondering what else am I missing out on in search land.

Regarding the air conditioners.  I don't have any filters and the grills don't seem like they are dirty.  (that must not be good as dust must be getting into the coils)   Would the answer be to get in there and vacuum as much as possible and install filters in the intake vents?

not being experienced in ducted air for private use, apart from heating in the UK, you will have ducts for incoming air & exhaust ducts so unless you have a main filter on the intake which would be blocked almost solid after 10 yrs I would expect your intakes in the ceiling to have a filter. Maybe there are no filters because as I said after 10yrs they should be blocked solid and the previous owner just removed them. if it's safe have a look at your main air intake (outside) and see if it has a filter or at least a filter housing with the filter removed then go from there about servicing. maybe ask advice on the forum about your district to recommend a good company.

2 hours ago, THAIJAMES said:

I have 7 Duct Connected Type (hidden above ceiling) Daikin air conditioners which are 10 years old and have never given me a problem. 

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on how they should be serviced?  since the units are above ceiling and covered by ducts, how do you service them besides checking the compressor?  The only items that are accessible are in the intake and output grills which are flush with the ceiling.

Thanks in advance.

usually filter, fan and evaporator are accessible for cleaning by removing the intake grill. were the filters never cleaned? :shock1:

sorry! just now i read that there are no filters. do you live in the Pattaya area? i might be able to recommend a reliable company which is doing my a/c service since years and which i know has installed quite a number of units called "ducted" in Thailand although that expression is misleading.

1 hour ago, Naam said:

usually filter, fan and evaporator are accessible for cleaning by removing the intake grill. were the filters never cleaned? :shock1:

sorry! just now i read that there are no filters. do you live in the Pattaya area? i might be able to recommend a reliable company which is doing my a/c service since years and which i know has installed quite a number of units called "ducted" in Thailand although that expression is misleading.

Thanks for the offer,  I live in Chiang Mai.  Actually I rarely use the AC as my house is double wall insulated with foamed air gaps :)   

I would estimate less than 6 months of use in 10 years for my two main ones.  The other ones almost no use. So I am not so concerned about dust build up in the intakes.  (I also use hepa filters in the room when aircon is on)

But if someone does know a company that could be trusted to service such a system in Chiang Mai,  I would appreciate it.

2 hours ago, sandrabbit said:

not being experienced in ducted air for private use, apart from heating in the UK, you will have ducts for incoming air & exhaust ducts so unless you have a main filter on the intake which would be blocked almost solid after 10 yrs I would expect your intakes in the ceiling to have a filter. Maybe there are no filters because as I said after 10yrs they should be blocked solid and the previous owner just removed them. if it's safe have a look at your main air intake (outside) and see if it has a filter or at least a filter housing with the filter removed then go from there about servicing. maybe ask advice on the forum about your district to recommend a good company.

Its my fault, I build the house new to my design, since the air system was designed with custom air ducts, I was supposed to get custom filters created for the intakes.  I forgot :(     555555

I am not too worried because the air conditioners have only had light use.  Plus I use standalone hepa filters, whenever there is dust in the air like burning season. 

If someone in Chiang Mai is using a similar system, I would appreciate if you could PM me a reliable company to service them.

1 hour ago, Naam said:

called "ducted" in Thailand although that expression is misleading.

Yes, not the ducted system in the west going through the whole house. 

With this system, each room has its own unit hidden in the ceiling with the ducts for intake and output in the same room.  Separated enough to get good air circulation.  I love them because they are out of sight, just grills on the ceiling.  Plus instead of having to cool the whole house you can cool room by room same as wall mounted.

Archived