Best and Affordable Whisky in Thailand, you favorite.

Rhys

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the only good whisky is a malt and ye don't see them much around here...Bells and Grouse taste OK when in a bar in Glasgow with a half of heavy but otherwise...

I pretty much stick to the local Gilbeys vodka with soda and lime juice...at least I know that I can get all the fixins within walkin' distance of where I live...

“the only good whisky is a malt”

Not entirely true.

The best whiskys are certainly malts…………… but there are perfectly good blends around of which Bell’s is a very good example.

And at 349 Bht a bottle it’s very hard to beat.

6 hours ago, naboo said:

Can someone please confirm Bell's in Thailand is not the same as Bell's in the UK?

Its not a great whisky, but I bought it expecting it to be better than 100 Piper's. I thought it was arguably worse.

yeah, I queried this in another thread...I thought: 'Bells in Thailand? too good to be true...'

and with a union jack splayed across the label, no less...the alarums started ringing...

I pick-up a bottle of Johnny Walker "The Spice Road" from the explorers editions duty free most times I come back from where ever. A lot more complex, fruity, and robust than the regulars and for only about 2k Baht. Being a blend, I don't fly off the handle when someone adds soda to it too (although coke would be pushing the boundaries of good taste).

Johhny Red works well with Soda. Interested if anyone has more feedback on Bell's.

On 9/18/2017 at 9:01 PM, naboo said:

Can someone please confirm Bell's in Thailand is not the same as Bell's in the UK?

Its not a great whisky, but I bought it expecting it to be better than 100 Piper's. I thought it was arguably worse.

I bought some of the Bell's here.

I'm glad you posted your comments. I thought the taste distinctly different from Bell's in the UK.

OK long with ice and soda but not a sipping whiskey.

Wishbeer on-line ordering has a good selection of single malts, blends from various countries. The supermarkets at Central Eastville, Crystal Park and the Promenade usually have good selections too.

For sipping I usually for a single malt or JW Black Label.

For mixers, JW Red Label, I00 Pipers, and now Bell's.

Our local Big C has started carrying a bigger selection. Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, Jamesons and sometimes a low cost single malt.

Sipping whiskey to me can be drunk straight.  If you are going to pour it over ice, you can use most any whiskey and it'll eventually get watered down enough to be "drinkable."  With that in mind, I have no idea what you can afford, so I'll ignore the "affordable" piece and recommend Woodford Reserve bourbon, which you might find a bit pricey at 2400 baht per bottle.  If that's too rich for your blood, you can downshift to Gentleman Jack at 1500/bottle.  Both available at a Villa Market near you.  If you go cheaper, I don't even consider it drinkable.  

One above the Bells and 100 Pipers is Jameson Irish Whisky. It is very smooth and not smokey at all. In our local booze shop it is about 1000 / bottle.

In the same shop I am lucky enough to have McCallen 12 and 18 year old... but even the 12 year stuff is 3,750 a go, so only for special occasions :)

The 12-year old single malt Glenfiddich whisky I buy for about $24 a fifth in Cambodia.  Majesty single malt is also good and a couple of dollars cheaper but I prefer Glenfiddich.

It is so good I only sip less than an ounce at a time and not every night so a bottle lasts several months.

Between the savings on medications and booze vs Thailand I pay for my land transportation and visa.  Being retired my time traveling by land is free and I get to see more than from an airplane.  Win Win

I drink my every day whisky with ice, soda and a splash of ginger ale - unless I'm having something decent like a peaty single malt

My everyday favourites are Benmore, and now Bells as its a better price than the Benmore (I'm not terribly fussy for the mixer whisky)

"Whisky" comes from Scotland. "Whiskey" comes from elsewhere.

My normal drinking whisky in Scotland was 100 Pipers. Here, it is the same stuff, but cheaper!

I find the complete ignorance of the nature of whisky amongst my non-Scottish friends, and some of the not-non, astounding!

A "single malt" whisky is the product of a single distillery, or even a single part of a single distillery. Whilst every effort is made to ensure the same taste and quality, as with fine wines variations occur by year and season. By definition, a "scotch whisky" must be matured in an oak cask for a minimum of three years before sale. Many single malts are on the market, the range of tastes is amazing. They are classified by the area from which they originate, and the taste largely depends on the water source used in the brewing stage. Islay malts such as Laphroig have a very strong peaty taste, which some love, others hate. Lowland malts tend to be less strongly flavoured and sweeter. 

"Blended" whisky is an industrial product - but not necessarily of poor taste or quality. Expert blenders work to mix together single malts and grain whiskys (but never whiskies!) to achieve consistency of taste year by year. Many single malts are distilled and sold purely for the blending industry and cannot be bought retail. (Others, such as "House of Lords" are made for limited markets, or for export only)

The point being, whisky tastes are so diverse that one mans' treat is anothers' poison! So I like 100 Pipers, and don't like Johny Walker Red, but Black is OK. Chivas Regal is good but not worth the money. Single Malt? If you like Laphroig, you won't like my favourite (which changes with time, but for now), An Cnoc. You are very unlikely to find it here, and certainly not cheaply! It's about £15 a bottle in blighty.

How to drink it? Well certainly not the Thai way, drowned with water and by the bottle! A few cubes of ice, in deference to the climate, and a splash of water to cut the taste. Neat whiskys are generally too strong, a little water brings out the flavour. Too much ruins it. Use good quality water, but no need to go mad with fancy brand names. Soda is ok if you like but do compare with plain water, the difference is remarkable. Lemonade? Yes, ok if it's poor quality whisky, but not if the lemonade is modern chemical crap like Sprite! Ginger Ale? Same applies. Coke? Never - go straight to Hell, do not pass Go, do not collect 200!

A closing story. Many years ago, Mrs G and I went to California, and visited with her old school friend, who was recently divorced. In the car from LAX, she explained that her ex was spending $2000 a month on whiskey and coke. Naive as I then was, I thought "what a disgusting mixture, and how much whiskey must he be drinking to cost so much!" 

Mrs G later explained it was Cocaine, not Coca Cola.

12 hours ago, dick turpin said:

Not for the purests no doubt, but its Drambuie for me, but have yet to find it in Thailand, so its a duty free import job.

I'm pretty sure that I have seen Drambuie at 'La Villa at Ari'. They have a pretty good selection of whisky i.e. Ardbeg, Glenlivet etc. [My favorite is Laphroaig; sometimes they have it, sometimes not].

FYI You should also check out the alcohol shop on the basement floor of Emquartier. They have pretty much everything, and I'd be very surprised if you can't find Drambuie there.

On 18/09/2017 at 8:36 PM, Pdaz said:

Johnny Walker Double Black for me.  Mellow and smokey. Less than 2k a bottle from 7

Yes.  It's streets different from ordinary JW Black.  I also like J&B (Justerini & Brooks - yellow and red label.)  Also note that  Hong Thong. and Blend 285 are nowhere near as rough as some cheap Scotches with well known names.  To my taste anyway.

9 hours ago, dairy queen said:

I'm pretty sure that I have seen Drambuie at 'La Villa at Ari'. They have a pretty good selection of whisky i.e. Ardbeg, Glenlivet etc. [My favorite is Laphroaig; sometimes they have it, sometimes not].

FYI You should also check out the alcohol shop on the basement floor of Emquartier. They have pretty much everything, and I'd be very surprised if you can't find Drambuie there.

Oh Laphroaig.  Oily peaty smoky.  Delicious but expensive..

Archived