Water damaged passport

I have a newish passport that was put in the washing machine and has been damaged, but not destroyed. Can I still use it for traveling?

Long story short, my passport main page is completely clear, however it's lost all its color.  

All of my visa stamps are from Thailand, Cambodia, and Malaysia. Some of the stamps are inlegible, and some are fine.

I went to my embassy and the lady said, it's up to me if I want to replace it. She said that it's up to the immigration police discretion, which makes sense. I want to travel to Cambodia next month and Maldives in December. 

Has anyone used or currently using a damaged passport? I'm a bit concerned because I don't want to leave Thailand and then get denied entering Cambodia or be denied when I come back to Thailand.

The obvious solution is to just make a new passport. However, since my drivers license has already expired from my home country, I don't meet the requirements to make a new passport. I'd need to make a Thai driver's license first. 

Just looking for your experiences with using a damaged passport. Thank you in advance.

10 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

What country denies a replacement passport if the applicants DL is expired?

Canada. But to add more to that. It's because it's the only photo ID that I have, apart from my passport of course.

Edited by lust

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

What country denies a replacement passport if the applicants DL is expired?

1 hour ago, lust said:

Canada. But to add more to that. It's because it's the only photo ID that I have, apart from my passport of course.

To be clear Canada doesnt deny issuing of passport because a driving licence is expired.

A valid driving licence can be used for the ID verification of the passport application

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rockingrobin said:

To be clear Canada doesnt deny issuing of passport because a driving licence is expired.

A valid driving licence can be used for the ID verification of the passport application

So if someone gets both their passport and DL lost or stolen at the same time, they can't renew either of them?

Pretty sure there's some other criteria available, albeit probably requiring a more extensive paper trail, for one to prove who they are. Admittedly, living overseas for any length of time and possibly forsaking home banking, billing addresses and (possibly) not paying taxes can have a downside when ones passport gets lost or damaged.

Back to the OP, is the picture in his passport still recognizable?

14 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

So if someone gets both their passport and DL lost or stolen at the same time, they can't renew either of them?

Pretty sure there's some other criteria available, albeit probably requiring a more extensive paper trail, for one to prove who they are. Admittedly, living overseas for any length of time and possibly forsaking home banking, billing addresses and (possibly) not paying taxes can have a downside when ones passport gets lost or damaged.

Back to the OP, is the picture in his passport still recognizable?

Apologies, maybe a bit of misunderstanding

A valid driving licence can be used as a means of ID verification. Other forms of id  are acceptable.

The passport being classed as damaged cannot be used for id purposes. 

Edited by rockingrobin

5 hours ago, rockingrobin said:

Maybe it's how I'm reading this, but these seem like contradicting statements. If a license is expired, it's no longer valid. 

I went to my embassy and they said I need a valid photo ID because I don't know 2 Canadians living here who can vouch for me as references. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lust said:

Maybe it's how I'm reading this, but these seem like contradicting statements. If a license is expired, it's no longer valid. 

I went to my embassy and they said I need a valid photo ID because I don't know 2 Canadians living here who can vouch for me as references. 

The invalid driving licence does  itself prevent the issuing of a new passport , the driving licence cannot be used as ID , thus other forms of ID are required.

It is my understanding that if the passport is regarded as damaged , 2 guarantors are required to sign all documents

Edited by rockingrobin

22 minutes ago, lust said:

My photo is clear, but all the color is washed out. It's like a black and white photo.

Here's an example of the stamps.

IMG_8050.JPG

if the photo as been altered in any way   the passport will not be recognised as a valid document, due to not matching the sample held on the ICAO database (as per Paris agreement)

32 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

The invalid driving licence does  itself prevent the issuing of a new passport , the driving licence cannot be used as ID , thus other forms of ID are required.

It is my understanding that if the passport is regarded as damaged , 2 guarantors are required to sign all documents

The OP needs to go back to Canada in order to obtain two signatories and get a new passport. The current, damaged passport will be accepted by Canadian immigration but will probably cause grief if used elsewhere. Imagine being stamped out of Thailand but subsequently refused entry to Cambodia. Then the Thai immigration that just stamped you out won't let you back in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, lust said:

I don't understand. I got my passport back in Canada in 2015 even though my drivers license expired.

I can almost guarantee you will be denied entry. You need a new passport.

Edited by theguyfromanotherforum
  • Like 2

Are you actually speaking to someone at CDN Embassy?  When applying for a passport, you need to provide at least one document to prove your identity. Your current passport is your picture ID and that's required for a replacement. The girls at embassy are very helpful but do not give them a hard time, be polite with them and dress sharp.

If you haven’t known an eligible guarantor for at least two years, complete form PPTC 132 (Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor).  I did this one time and was $75 if I remember.

Here's the information you need for lost, stolen, inaccessible, damaged or found passports:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/security/lost-stolen.asp

Edited by RBOP
  • Like 1

On 9/18/2017 at 10:31 PM, lust said:

Has anyone used or currently using a damaged passport

Yes, a couple of years back, I took the slow train to Hua-Hin, I had my relatively new passport in my backpack. A couple of German girls, got on the train along the way, I noted that one put her bag on top of mine. Somewhere along the way, they exited. I got off at Hua-Hin and found that my bag was soaked. It damaged the entry stamps although it didn't look bad, I was warned at a couple of immigration points that I needed to get a new passport. I did, but they still placed a warning in my new passport that I had a damaged passport.

Anymore, I always put my passport in one of those heavy duty pink anti-static ziplock bags that you get from electronic gear, to make sure that no damage occurs.

20170921_081042a.jpg

On 9/19/2017 at 5:31 PM, lust said:

I have a newish passport that was put in the washing machine and has been damaged, but not destroyed. Can I still use it for traveling?

Long story short, my passport main page is completely clear, however it's lost all its color.  

All of my visa stamps are from Thailand, Cambodia, and Malaysia. Some of the stamps are inlegible, and some are fine.

I went to my embassy and the lady said, it's up to me if I want to replace it. She said that it's up to the immigration police discretion, which makes sense. I want to travel to Cambodia next month and Maldives in December. 

Has anyone used or currently using a damaged passport? I'm a bit concerned because I don't want to leave Thailand and then get denied entering Cambodia or be denied when I come back to Thailand.

The obvious solution is to just make a new passport. However, since my drivers license has already expired from my home country, I don't meet the requirements to make a new passport. I'd need to make a Thai driver's license first. 

Just looking for your experiences with using a damaged passport. Thank you in advance.

I have been in your situation - a few years ago a young lady I was dating was so distraught that I was actually going home, that she threw my passport in a bucket of water right in front of me in an attempt to keep me here.

I dried the pages, by placing cloth between each page to minimise damage.

My photo was not damaged, nor was the most recent Thai visa on arrival stamp - two of the corners had split 3-4cm deep into the back page and blurring of historical immigration stamps.

I made an appointment with my Embassy (New Zealand) and took my passport and another form of identification.

A note was made in the NZ immigration system to record the damaged document, and I was told that NZ immigration would accept the document. The embassy cannot force Thai immigration to accept this. Though they can issue a document which states that they have observed the document and that it is an original travel document which will be accepted on arrival into your home country - this is all that Thai immigration cares about, their biggest fear is that you will be sent back without money.

On arrival, I spoke with the immigration officer who observed the note on file in the computers, and advised me the document would not be valid as a form of ID or further travel outside of the home country.

Hope this helps.

I should also note, the above is my personal experience in effort to avoid paying astronomical fees for a new passport.

You will be charged not only the cost of a foreign passport issued abroad, but for express courier from Canada for your passport. In my case, we were looking at 4-6x the cost of a standard passport issued at home. If you want to avoid this cost, I would recommend at least giving the above a go. It cost me nothing more than a half afternoon waiting in a few waiting rooms, and of course some patience with a smile.

Washed my passport in Australia. Passed 7 international airports afterwards but after getting a lecture at most of them was let through. What are they going to do? Not let you leave their country? Just go for it. >99% chance they'll look a bit grumpy (as usual), have a quick chat and let you go eventually. Just explain and be polite.

To all the people worrying about being refused entry to Cambodia: This is like the most corrupt country in all of SE Asia. The immigration department (!) at their international (!) airport in the capital (!) city tries to scam nearly ALL passengers who pay with anything bigger than 20 notes by shortchanging them on their visa fee. Don't even get me started on places like Poi Pet or Koh Kong. In the worst case, 5-10$ will smooth over a washed passport for sure.

Your biggest worry should be airlines who can be a bit of a pain when it comes to passengers and their visas, travel documents etc.

Leaving a country and returning are two different things, one may be able to leave Thailand with that passport, but may well be refused entry with it.

1. If one is flying the airline may refuse to accept it as they would have to bare the cost of returning said passenger, and may well be fined.

2. There is a risk of being trapped in no mans land.

As pointed out there are unread stamps in his passport that can not be read, better getting the passport sorted ASAP.

On 22/09/2017 at 3:27 AM, hawker9000 said:

Note to self:   Keep passport out of washing machine (AND out of pants pockets...)

Yes, I spent a week working in Gibraltar and was billeted in Spain crossing the border every day, my passport lived in my back pocket for a week and got badly creased, luckily not washed.

I washed my passport a few months ago. Luckily my current visa and entry stamp were ok but almost all the others were illegible. Immigration didnt look impressed when i left but said nothing. Got as new one in the UK. I think i would not have got back into Thailand with it judging by the way the immigration look at the visa in it every time i return.

• 1 year later...
On 9/19/2017 at 9:36 PM, NanLaew said:

The OP needs to go back to Canada in order to obtain two signatories and get a new passport. The current, damaged passport will be accepted by Canadian immigration but will probably cause grief if used elsewhere. Imagine being stamped out of Thailand but subsequently refused entry to Cambodia. Then the Thai immigration that just stamped you out won't let you back in.

Agree, many countries today are much more vigillant about fake and stolen passports etc., and it wouldn't be surprising if any country said 'maybe the damaged passport is some part of an organized scam...'