Thailand draws 3.1 million tourists in August, a record for the month

webfact

The amount of coaches  now around pattaya  compared to what there used to be.   They are a every where.

Someone must be riding in them, its just that we don't always see where they go.

Also the number of people following flags in walking street is high.  They just walk up and down the street, they may only do this once per trip so I would tend to say the numbers "could" be higher.

Its that they don't eat and drink in the local businesses that we tend to use.  They most likely get fed in the Hotel they are staying that is booked out by the tour.  Get on there bus and go some where.  

If they eat out, how many local business can cater for a bus load of people?   not many.   They go to per arranged locations that are set up to cater for a coaches  load of people and a place to park the coaches.

From the Pier to Jomtiem  coaches parked all down the road.

Try going Naklua to beach road early evening and it is rammed with coaches trying to U turn

Between soi 7 and 6 there is a coach/Car park, opposite Centric Sea. Full of Coaches

Going down some of the small soi's, You will hit a coach coming the other way that can barley fit as there is an out of the main drag hotel that is used by coach tours 

Look out to sea in the morning at the number of people doing Paragliding 

The new "Quality" tourists "could" be in Pattaya, i If you look.  You will see all there faces pressed up against a coach window looking at the few people still in left in the bars.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quality not quantity. I sat in a very good Melbourne restaurant last night in between flights back to Thailand (where I am now) and there were 4 Chinese students per table sharing 1 pizza. I saw at least 3 tables doing this and it seemed to upset the staff. The waiter said 'we are booked out but let me try something." He moved the Chinese out and gave us the table.

8 hours ago, JayBird said:

I read this as 400,000 tourists in august. The Chinese do not spend money here and stay in very isolated venues. The other asians are not here for tourist purposes.

Of the 400k I wonder how many are expats, or possibly workers who are flagged as tourists.

Hey they do in the UK saw it yesterday in Bicester village all running around with loads of designer bags on their arms splashing the cash like its going out of fashion, locals say its like this every day and there are coach tours but no kickbacks

Looks like the crap go to one place cheap, nasty and full of fakes, the others who are quality go to the quality places where they buy non fake goods by the shed load. Tat can keep wishing then.

We are talking about the Chinese that goes everywhere together by bus and eats at appointed Chinese restaurants. Sleeping 4 in each room at my condominium.

The India guys that stands in crowd at beachroad and try to share 1 girl for 100thb. Then they go to Indian restaurants owned by Indian owners ofc.

The Arabs that are muslims and dont eat pig etc, but are ok to <deleted> around and drink alcohol( have to love those) Neither they eat nor go to Thaibars. Its all arab restaurants becauase its all haram.

And lets not talk about the Russians lol. Allergic to Thaifood and they really dont shop anywhere.

The only people ive actually seen eating Thaifood and stay at medium to better hotels. Go shop and sit at bars and actually benefits the Thaisociety are European and Americans.

But i have noticed more Koreans that go out party and they actually like to shop etc. Ive seen them eat Thaifood. Go alone. better economy there?

I dont need TaT to tell me how many visitors Thailand has because my former landlord called me and told me i can rent any of his new condos for 7000Thb. Those were 9000Thb last year. I have never seen so many empty and closed bars as now. So many new condominiums i pass by that are just empty. But as Wakeupplease stated..... we also need to find that secret place in Lalaland.

I'm a frequent flyer. Many times a year i fly bkk - europe. If the aircraft is full or overbooked I get as a single traveler with a gold card mostly an upgrade. Since 2015 I have rarely got an upgrade. Why? Because the planes from and to bkk are simply not full!

On 9/20/2017 at 5:02 PM, wakeupplease said:

Hey they do in the UK saw it yesterday in Bicester village all running around with loads of designer bags on their arms splashing the cash like its going out of fashion, locals say its like this every day and there are coach tours but no kickbacks

Saw a long queue of Chinese tourists outside a Starbucks, near Erawan Shrine, in Bangkok yesterday. No wonder with astronomical coffee prices in China, they probably wanted to try the "cheap" coffee in Bangkok, to tell people at home: "Hey, I've been to Starbucks; I'm hi-so now...:partytime2:

1 hour ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Saw a long queue of Chinese tourists outside a Starbucks, near Erawan Shrine, in Bangkok yesterday. No wonder with astronomical coffee prices in China, they probably wanted to try the "cheap" coffee in Bangkok, to tell people at home: "Hey, I've been to Starbucks; I'm hi-so now...:partytime2:

The Chinese do flock around Starbucks and McDonalds at Amarin Plaza, but there is also a different demographic of Chinese that stay at Intercontinental, Anantara, etc. They have deep pockets and spend above average Joe tourist.

I would be the first normally to call BS but having just spent some time in Pattaya/Jomtien and expecting it to be dead I was totally surprised. 

Definitely up in numbers. The number of Chinese every day at Bali Hi and the number of coaches of an evening are unreal. 

Maybe they are not spending in bars and stuff but walking street was busy for sure and every restaurant I are in had a fair number of Chinese/ Koreans also. 

Also certain quality condos are being bought up off plan at a rapid rate by the Chinese. There is certainly a boom coming if not already arrived.