Dog repeller devices. Do they work?

The manic

I am plagued by aggressive dogs in Soi Cosy Beach but have had problems when cycling in other places such as Nong Khai. So I was thinking of getting a dog repeller device. It is supposed to emit a sub sonic noise that causes the dog to run away. Does anyone know if they actually work? Can we buy them in Thailand? Thanks in advance for sensible, relevant answers.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, The manic said:

Thanks. I'm gonna get one. It will improve the quality of my life.

This one is neat in that it has an audible mode also which lets out a squelch that pretty much puts them on notice of they surprise you (like walking around a corner and dog !)...I used that once and he stepped back immediately and then I hit him with the ultrasound and he ran across the road. I'm pretty sure the  squelch would also work on a pesky Thai ex but I have not verified that yet....

1 hour ago, tonray said:

This one is neat in that it has an audible mode also which lets out a squelch that pretty much puts them on notice of they surprise you (like walking around a corner and dog !)...I used that once and he stepped back immediately and then I hit him with the ultrasound and he ran across the road. I'm pretty sure the  squelch would also work on a pesky Thai ex but I have not verified that yet....

Sounds better and better. Now we need a device to train the vile owners of vile dogs.

5 hours ago, The manic said:

Thanks. I'm gonna get one. It will improve the quality of my life.

Until you get one, attach a squirt gun to your bike full of ammonium.  

It won't harm the dogs, but they hate the smell and will avoid you. You only have to squirt them once ... they remember!

Edited by Watchful

I notice that no one reports any actual experience using these devices successfully, just unsubstantiated opinion.  Well, they don't work.  The batteries in these devices are far too small to be able to produce a blast of sound loud enough to intimidate a dog, particularly an angry dog.  Years ago I tested one while running.  I would get up as close as possible behind some unsuspecting mutt and let him have.  With one exception, there was never any reaction.  The dogs weren't startled, much less frightened.  There was one small terrier who, after getting "blasted" by my sonic device, did kind of look around with a worried expression.  If he had been intent on ripping my throat out, I doubt that it would have given him pause.

13 minutes ago, elgenon said:

Would this quiet a barking dog inside the neighbor's house?

Like me, you probably dream of a device that activates when the neighbour's dog barks and sends it running and howling with blood coming from its ears.

(Dog lovers please accept the concept of humour)

9 hours ago, LaserGriffin said:

Thanks for this gonna try to order one of this.

Ask them to throw in one for phone addicts while you're at it.....so can use in shops, shopping malls, while driving etc.,......I'll give you a decent "mark up" on it.

1 hour ago, mikebike said:

Ultrasonic chasers do work. Not on all dogs in all situations but in using them for about six years I would say the success rate for me has been 80%.

Purchase online in Thailand. COD.

http://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=Ultrasonic dog

You have failed to provide any evidence at all.  Were you ever under attack or threatened by a dog and then drove him off by pressing the little button? 

13 hours ago, The manic said:

I am plagued by aggressive dogs in Soi Cosy Beach but have had problems when cycling in other places such as Nong Khai. So I was thinking of getting a dog repeller device. It is supposed to emit a sub sonic noise that causes the dog to run away. Does anyone know if they actually work? Can we buy them in Thailand? Thanks in advance for sensible, relevant answers.

Can buy on Lazada from as little as 282 THB, but doesn't say what distance it's good for.   

26 minutes ago, CaptHaddock said:

You have failed to provide any evidence at all.  Were you ever under attack or threatened by a dog and then drove him off by pressing the little button? 

Same evidence you supplied that it does not work.

The answer to your question is yes, many times.

I tried one back in Canada on my neighbors Basset hound which went crazy as soon as I stepped outside.

Bought it at PetSmart for about 100 dollars and absolutely useless, they were kind enough to refund me

They did tell me at the store they don't work very well

Maybe they've gotten better