I want/need to stop smoking.

LoZth

Hello folks,

I've posted this in the appropriate forum but the last post on there was in 2016 so I thought I'd try on this forum.

I want/need to stop smoking, I've checked all the pharmacists I've come across  in my area, Bangsaen, for patches gum etc but they don't seem to stock them.

I wonder if you guys in Pattaya could help me out, have any of you found patches etc in Pattaya?

Thanks in anticipation,

Lozth

Stopped 5 years ago after a packet a day for nearly 50 years. I tried patches, gum, cutting back etc, but there was only one successful way for me and that's cold turkey. Just made up my mind to quit and never had another smoke.

Thanks a lot for the info and advice guys, I'll have a ride over to Pattaya in the next few days, I can kill two birds with one stone, as the saying goes, I can try Boots for the patches and also get something to eat that's not rice or noodle based.

:smile:

Cheers, Lozth.

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

Stopped 5 years ago after a packet a day for nearly 50 years. I tried patches, gum, cutting back etc, but there was only one successful way for me and that's cold turkey. Just made up my mind to quit and never had another smoke.

Very true. Patches are psychological. It's all in the head. You have a switch that can be set "smoker" and "non-smoker". You just have to find the switch.

Sounds sort of cliché, but it really is a ‘one-day-at-a-time’ thing. And like other big goals, it's helpful to break it down into component parts.

So, keep in mind that the first day (or hour) is the hardest but every subsequent day (or hour) becomes just a…little…bit easier. Getting through today is proof that you can get through tomorrow.

Think of it as moving downhill as opposed to uphill; you pick up positive momentum as you go along. One step at a time.

Edited by Hayduke

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

That's what my dad did.  We kids gave him a hard time about it, and he listened, saw the hypocrisy in telling us kids not to smoke while doing it himself,  & one day just quit.  'Never smoked again as long as he lived.  He was old school, and a man of formidable determination, but after he quit I never saw any hint that he was even tempted.  He could even be around other smokers, no problem.   I think that's the simple answer for many.  

However I'm convinced the addiction to tobacco just isn't the same for everybody.   Some can quit with hardly a second thought; for others, once they acquire the habit, it's a lifetime struggle to give it up.   I've never talked to anyone for whom patches, gum or any other whizbang stuff was a permanent answer.  I've known some who THOUGHT so, but ended up going back.   The very BEST answer of course is to never start.  That being the case, parents have NO business smoking around their kids.  It's called responsible parenting.   And governments have every right to be turning somersaults keeping tobacco out of the hands of minors, meting out punishment to adults who are supplying, and disincentivizing use.

Edited by hawker9000

1 minute ago, hawker9000 said:

However I'm convinced the addiction to tobacco just isn't the same for everybody.   Some can quit with hardly a second thought; for others, once they acquire the habit, it's a lifetime struggle to give it up.   I've never talked to anyone for whom patches, gum or any other whizbang stuff was a permanent answer.  I've known some who THOUGHT so, but ended up going back.   The very BEST answer of course is to never start. 

Believe me, I tried many, many times to quit, but always sneaking the odd one or two, still pretending I was quitting, but ending up back on them again. Eventually I was 100% committed, and once I had really made up my mind it wasn't so bad. Never been tempted to have the "just one" in 5 years.

I "quit" in February, I had too, my chest used to bubble when I breathed, I had a really heavy cold and just thought 'sod this' I used the patches, they also sell in Farscino as well as boots, I had a week on the strongest available then a week on the middling ones then finally two weeks on the weakest strength, I had 1 piece of gum and have not had a ciggie since.

Will power is what is really needed, the patches help with the craving but really must wantto stop, and, unfortunately once a smoker always a smoker, I stopped before for 3 years but went back to it one night when out with some friends here. 

Well I can happily say I was never in the valley of the Patch People No  I had to do it the hard way . About 18 years ago I had a stroke attributed to smoking

After the stroke the doctor came in and told me that if I keep smoking I will die

Well needless to say that cured me of smoking Have not picked up another cigarette Kicked it cold turkey But you know I don't remember any withdrawal I guess I was too sick to remember

Luck had it that I made a full recovery from the stroke No lasting problems

So if you are still having trouble kicking the habit Just remember it really can kill you 

The first thing is to WANT to stop.

The second is DO it.

Tell yourself it is your health suffering.

And also the cost.

Smoking is just a HABIT.

I smoked most of my life.

One day i had a check up and the Doctor asked me if i was a smoker.

My God i thought, this is going to be BAD news.

I said yes, and he said well you DO NOT have any shadows on your lungs.

Walked out of his surgery and said to myself.

How lucky i have been, NO LUNG CANCER.

Stopped smoking the same day.

15 years ago, no more bad breathe and headaches in the morning.

AND NO HEALTH ISSUES.

Not saying it is easy.

But you can do it if you want to.

I'm living in Thailand where ciggies are cheap. Before moving here from the UK I stopped smoking on and off for 10yrs, but never could totally kick the habit. What convinced me to finally quit was the graphic images shown on the cigarette packs eg, blackened teeth, tumours etc. I thought I should have more respect for my body and life, and went 'cold turkey'. This was very difficult, because I was living with my g/f behind her shop which sold alcohol, cigarettes and petrol (by hand pump).  Needless to say, the thought of becoming a human torch also frightened me! 

You are the master of your mind and body. Do as I did, pick a date to stop, wake up, throw away yr cigarettes and stop ! You will need long walks, swims and keeping yourself busy. Coconut water helps, patches and gradual withdrawals don't. Don't fool yourself, just knock it off, its not that difficult. Goodluck.

You might want to try isolation. I gave up smoking in 1983. I took one pack on a hunting trip to the backblocks of New South Wales. When I ran out of smokes, I had a choice - give up, or drive 100 km to the nearest shop. Too bloody ridiculous.

You will be constantly thirsty, that is your body purging itself of all the toxins. If you can stick it out for a month, the craving will disappear. Food will taste much better. After 6 - 12 months, your lung function will restore itself. Mine went from 3.5 litres to 6 litres.

Reducing the number of cigarettes you smoke daily doesn't work. It has to be done cold turkey. Focus on the benefits to your health and wallet. Exercise as much as possible. Avoid stress, that tempts you to light up. Bear in mind if you are a smoker, you are 20 times more likely to die of lung cancer than a non-smoker. If you can give up, in 5 - 10 years your risk level for lung cancer will reduce back to that of a non-smoker.

Good luck.

There's another recent thread on the same subject that includes a link to get a free pdf copy of the book mentioned above.

I read Allen Carr's "Easyway to stop smoking".

I really works if you trust yourself to understand and pick up the ideas in the book, and also are truly willing to quit smoking.

The best part is that you don't need to buy or borrow the book, it is now also a free download: http://prdupl02.ynet.co.il/ForumFiles_2/15119301.pdf

5 hours ago, giddyup said:

The jock is "I dont know why people say it is difficult to quit smoking, I quit every other day":laugh:

IMO only one way, when you really are ready you will do it.

Same here, stopped cold turkey 35 years ago and have not smoked one cigaret. since.

I am a very competitive person and I love a challenge. so when I quit I set up a challenge  and made it against another person.

I envisioned a cigarette company executive getting rich on my expense, knowing damn well that it's killing me, and laughing at me . Every time I wanted a cig. I envisioned the little bastard laughing at me.

It was a strategy that worked for me.

12 hours ago, mamypoko said:

Check out Champix/Chantix...I stopped after three days.

Pure magic (for me).

Good luck!

Same. Quit with Champix pills 5 years ago.  Started taking pills like prescribed,  and kept smoking like Champix method advises, and cigarettes lost all taste, zero satisfaction while smoking a cigarette,  it was really bizarre feeling.

Because you feel nothing while smoking, you will smoke less, and within 2 weeks you should stop smoking. I did.

The only side effect of Champix pills were nightmares.. I had terrible, vivid dreams. It's impossible to describe how dreams can be so real, but they were, I felt like I woke up from bad dream, but the dream went on, it was dream within a dream. 

If I had to do it again, I'd switch to electronic cigs.

I read the book Allen Carrs Easy Way to Stop Smoking. Had tried several times before but never worked. Smoked pack a day for over 30 years and after reading this book had no problem quitting. Haven't touched single smoke after reading it 8 years ago. I will try attach a free copy with a link from Penguin books

http://prdupl02.ynet.co.il/ForumFiles_2/15119301.pdf

I smoked for 30 years, and have quit 20 years ago. I had tried the patch, the gum, the patch and the gum together, cold turkey, and hypnotism (total BS).
I was having some acupuncture done on my back in the US, and my doctor mentioned he did a smoking cessation clinic as well.

I went on neurontin slow release for two weeks to help with the urges. I made an effort to slow down at least. I was a pack a day since I was 14. After two weeks, I had gone to 15 butts a day.

The doctor then put 3 very small patches in one ear. Each patch had a small pin. I was to press on the patch whenever I felt the urge to smoke. When I walked out of the office, I knew then I would never smoke again. I continued with the patches in my ears for another 4 weeks, as well as the neurontin. I also changed my habits of when I smoked. After a meal, I would take a walk instead of sitting and smoking. Change all your routines of when you smoke. 

I stopped the patch and the meds after 4 weeks, and never looked back. The cravings were gone after a year or so.

I highly recommend the combined meds plus acupuncture. It made it easy, really. Good luck!

Edited by PeterA
more info.