Test drive a Honda City

riclag

Is this the norm in Thailand? I went into the Honda dealership in Sakon Nakhon and said I was interested in a new 1.5 Honda City .I asked to test drive the Honda City and they said sorry, we don't have one to test but you can test a Honda Jazz ,it is also a 1.5. I was shocked .I turned to my wife and said OMG. My wife didn't show any expression but she did say that many Thai's don't test drive and that they go to the showroom to look at the inside and specs and talk to the salesperson for discounts and then place a order.

I came across  a similar weird situation when the previous owner of the townhouse I rented sold the townhouse without the new owner doing a walk through.

Both of these circumstances are weird and frustrating .I can't imagine any of this foolishness happening in the States. 

Edited by riclag

13 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah well this ain't the states thank Buddha. 

I will consider what the Toyota sales guy said . Why you go to a motorbike shop (Honda Dealership) to buy a car? lol 

Edited by riclag

I agree that it's not great that they don't have a City available to test drive, but in fairness the Jazz and the City will be mechanically  identical so the driving experience shouldn't be a whole lot different.

7 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

I agree that it's not great that they don't have a City available to test drive, but in fairness the Jazz and the City will be mechanically  identical so the driving experience shouldn't be a whole lot different.

Sorry but they don,t compare regards actually driving them...totally different,try another Honda dealership or contact Honda direct and ask them where is the nearest dealership that provides a City to test drive :thumbsup:

If no success get yourself a Nissan Almera,I,ve had two,excellent car,bigger,cheaper and more economical and you don,t need to test drive as I have recommended it :stoner:

1 hour ago, Dmaxdan said:

They are different been in both just for the fact the city is a bigger car IMO.

My daughter City is a comfortable car for the money and was well worth the buy.

You can test drive the City if your near Sukhothai. :biggrin:

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

They are different been in both just for the fact the city is a bigger car IMO.

My daughter City is a comfortable car for the money and was well worth the buy.

You can test drive the City if your near Sukhothai. :biggrin:

Or anywhere else, it you realy want to, Honda n Toyo dealers are like 7/11 Shops here.

7 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

Or anywhere else, it you realy want to, Honda n Toyo dealers are like 7/11 Shops here.

Did you read my post? It said they couldn't accommodate me. Why would I go to Sukho. I live on the other side of the country... Problem solved I'm going with a Toy.

I usually always buy my cars ..(only 3..) in BKK where, although you get a much better deal- test driving them is more like sitting in a car park. So If I am changing models, or just not certain, I would rent for a day. Most of the better rental firms have the model you want....500-800 baht for the day.

On 9/21/2017 at 9:52 AM, Dmaxdan said:

I think they are drastically different cars.  I finally found a place that would let me drive both around their very big lot.  Got both cars up to almost 30kph! LOL  But nothing like taking them out for a true test ride.

I've had dealerships only offer a test drive in the car park, but I've also had them allow me on the road around the block. It depends on the dealership and how much they want your money. I think they are mostly concerned about keeping the tyres as fresh as possible.

I don't know Sakon Nakhon but like others have suggested you'd have to find out if there is another local dealership that has the car available to test drive. Then you have the joy of trying to find the car in your favoured colour.

I had a similar experience when I first arrived.  I knew I wanted a compact car, but i wasnt sure which one.  I went to Toyota, Honda, and Suzuki dealerships and was turned down for a test drive on their compact cars.  How am I supposed to decide which vehicle I like better if I cant test-drive them?  I went the rental route, but it was a much bigger PIA than it needed to be.   

2 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I never felt the need or the urge to test drive a new car.....if it'snew I assume all is in order, if not, I bring it back.

How do you compare the various brands for their good and bad features? I don't buy new, that's for suckers. However, I will test drive a variety of brands to determine which suits me best.

3 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

How do you compare the various brands for their good and bad features? I don't buy new, that's for suckers. However, I will test drive a variety of brands to determine which suits me best.

If you've got the cash, there's nothing like a brand new car.  The latest technology and features, etc.  Sadly, I don't always have the cash for such luxuries.

Just now, craigt3365 said:

If you've got the cash, there's nothing like a brand new car.  The latest technology and features, etc.  Sadly, I don't always have the cash for such luxuries.

I used to buy new cars. Then I woke up to two facts. The first is  buying a car in the range of 30K to 80K on the odometer makes much better sense financially, because the depreciation that occurred as soon as I drove it out of the dealership is no longer there. The second is try as they might, vehicle manufacturers will produce the occasional lemon, in style, comfort or mechanics. Better to go with something that has a proven track record in terms of appeal and reliability. That's why a Toyota Vios is possibly the best used car buy in Thailand.

Not disagreeing with you, just giving a different perspective.

1 minute ago, bazza73 said:

I used to buy new cars. Then I woke up to two facts. The first is  buying a car in the range of 30K to 80K on the odometer makes much better sense financially, because the depreciation that occurred as soon as I drove it out of the dealership is no longer there. The second is try as they might, vehicle manufacturers will produce the occasional lemon, in style, comfort or mechanics. Better to go with something that has a proven track record in terms of appeal and reliability. That's why a Toyota Vios is possibly the best used car buy in Thailand.

100% agree!  One of the best purchases I've ever made was a 3 year old Infinity Q45.  Immaculate condition.  Less than 1/2 of a new car.  An absolutely amazing car.

If I had the cash, I'd only buy new.  But I don't have the cash! LOL.  My Honda City is almost 7 years old now and never had a problem.  Great car for around the "city". LOL

10 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

That may apply to a lot of countries, but not so much Thailand. Don't know of any brands that will suffer major depreciation after 30K.

Just now, giddyup said:

That may apply to a lot of countries, but not so much Thailand. Don't know of any brands that will suffer major depreciation after 30K.

Agree, the market is manipulated here. However, there are good buys to be found if you are patient enough.

4 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I never felt the need or the urge to test drive a new car.....if it'snew I assume all is in order, if not, I bring it back.

Taking anything back for exchange or whatever in Thailand is usually not a great experience.

If I can't test drive a new car there's no way I would buy it.

1 hour ago, bazza73 said:

Agree, the market is manipulated here. However, there are good buys to be found if you are patient enough.

No, the market isn't manipulated, it's much more about cheap labor coasts. In my home country i only bought 2nd or even 3rd hand cars, they had been very cheap. I bought my first new car here in Thailand because it keeps its value, 2nd hand cars are quiet expensive. Buying an old car without a test drive is stupid, but nowadays with the internet, all the youtube videos and other stuff it's not really mandatory anymore.