Shooting and kicking at gas station: mum tries to buy off parent with 10,000 baht

webfact

34 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

The two attendants were kicked to the point of unconsciousness, apparently shots were fired & the police say

arrest warrants are pending !!!!

What the hell are they waiting for, giving them time to flee somewhere !!!

Jeez just what does it take to get the police off their collective <deleted> & go round up these thugs & put them away where they cannot do any more harm.

I have asked this question before and it seems that unless the police actually witness the crime or have a certain level of prove they have to obtain an arrest warrant from the courts.

I seem to recall that this also occurs in other countries even Australia and the U.K. under certain circumstances but would defer to others on that point.

29 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

I have asked this question before and it seems that unless the police actually witness the crime or have a certain level of prove they have to obtain an arrest warrant from the courts.

I seem to recall that this also occurs in other countries even Australia and the U.K. under certain circumstances but would defer to others on that point.

Plenty of witnesses, video and photographic evidence I thought? Maybe there is a 'neutral period' to allow monetary compensation to take place (sometimes thru a third party who gets a fee?) before further justice (and I use that word lightly) takes its course? Checking out of powerful connections as well?

Yup, I can be sceptic.

4 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

But you are also. NOT the Thai parent of a spoiled "little emperor"!!!! The problems are always at least one if not more generations up from the offending individual.  It is only because of CCTV and Facebook we are seeing these things.  And people wonder about the power of social media.......

I have to agree with you Deerhunter, that's why we have a very strict upbringing with out kids, and my Thai wife more so than me. Our two 13 year old twin boys do not leave the house after school, they have homework to complete, followed by daily chores in and around the house until they go to bed, and if and only if, they have done their chores and behaved during the week, she will allow them to walk down to the local school in the village to shoot basketball for a couple of hours on the weekend. 

This all started from a couple of years ago when they were supposed to be shooting basketball at the local school in the village, but were seen as pillion passengers on speeding motorbikes, i.e. they broke the 1st rule, i.e. not to go on any motorbikes or leave the school unless coming home.

Their punishment the 1st time was a public beating in front of our house, neighbours and anyone who walked past our front yard at that time watched the beating from my wife, her beating the two of them would make most of us guys cringe, the 2nd time they did it, the beating was even more sever, this was once she let them out a month later after grounding them the 1st time, with me having to step into stop her after she drew blood from both of them with the previous wounds having just healed, now open again after the bamboo caning, one could say, they have learnt from their mistakes, or out of fear of being beaten again by their mother, and the gang will not entertain her, because she has said to all of them, right in their faces, that if they come near our sons again she will do exactly the same to them, with one of them saying some smart remark which was met with an o mighty back hand which sent him to the ground, there was total silence and the so called gang don't go near the boys when she lets them go to the school to shoot basketball, she even went as far as driving to the mothers house of the boy who opened his mouth and told her what she did, with the kids mother more or less accepting what she did because she feared her own son.

Lies are also not tolerated in our house, man up, or be shamed and suffer the consequences.

Don't get me wrong they are good boys, took a wrong turn, and been beaten back onto the straight and narrow, personally I am not one for physical punishment, but remember been given a few serves from my old man back in the day, right or wrong, it had its impact on me, as for the Mrs, what her old man did to her when she was a kid would warrant jail time, but hey, this is Thailand and no agencies to dictate to you what you can and can't do to your kids, discipline is hard, but in the end, as long as they learn from it for the good, then it pays off for society in the long run, too bad other parents lack discipline themselves.

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

Well said, my belief is that lack of parental guidance; teaching what is right and what is wrong, what is acceptable behavior etc., is often a part of the cause of these situation.

There's two late teens (1F, 1M) in part of my extended family, their parents have been absent most of their lives and the kids from toddlers have lived with numerous other relatives and strangers. They have very poor education and no resources whatever. They see their parents rarely and they are strangers, and the two teenagers show their anger at their parents readily. The parents just don't care.

Their same age friends, pretty much all from the same background are their family, they steal regularly, often with violence involved, to survive.

They basically have no future. 

and you condone this as an excuse ??

20 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Plenty of witnesses, video and photographic evidence I thought? Maybe there is a 'neutral period' to allow monetary compensation to take place (sometimes thru a third party who gets a fee?) before further justice (and I use that word lightly) takes its course? Checking out of powerful connections as well?

Yup, I can be sceptic.

Having found a book I bought called THAI LAW FOR FOREIGNERS and reading up on the role of the police it appears that provision does exist for settling certain matters by means of compensation but not the crime being discussed here.

It seems the role of the police is to investigate a crime and gather evidence etc which is then submitted to a prosecutor who makes the decision as to whether a person is charged it suggests that police cannot bring charges themselves

Of course what happens in practice probably varies as we see in immigration procedures

I cannot find anything dealing with police applying to the courts for arrest warrants but suspect that it may be a case of back covering

I think we are all probably guilty of comparing what happens in our own country to what happens here and assuming it should be the same which of course it isn't.

This is how one Thai treats another over a bit of spilled gas ? 

Is that an insult worthy of this kind of behavior ? It's just a bit of GAS on a motorbike !

I'm glad to read that Thailand has signed a nuclear non-proliferation agreement. Otherwise some "hothead" might bring Thailand to the brink of war.

I think these boys have been playing too many violent computer games

instead of going to the temple to pray for moral strength and tolerance with your fellow man.

20 hours ago, mark01 said:

There is so much wrong with Thai law.

Being able to pay your way out of a criminal offence is just one-of-many of the things wrong with the law system here.

How can a victim drop the charges? It's a criminal offence...!!!

it is not only the Law . It starts with the education and upbringing by their Families. the Parents should  teach them to respect the law and the police , but if also the parents have the feeling that the are above the law than what can one expect of there children

14 hours ago, neeray said:

I know it's a lot to expect but hopefully the media coverage that this cowardly story is receiving will teach other "gangs of 7" a lesson to mind their own business.  Get a job!

what do you mean get a job ?? that is only for looser's and really tiresome

On 21/9/2560 at 2:37 PM, rcranium said:

Who's the lady counting money and seems quite unconcerned?  An accomplice?

LOL, what could she have done else:shock1: then be quiet and discreet, back of from the scene  - otherwise she would have been kicked too.  :tongue:

On 21/9/2560 at 2:46 PM, scorecard said:

Well said, my belief is that lack of parental guidance; teaching what is right and what is wrong, what is acceptable behavior etc., is often a part of the cause of these situation.

There's two late teens (1F, 1M) in part of my extended family, their parents have been absent most of their lives and the kids from toddlers have lived with numerous other relatives and strangers. They have very poor education and no resources whatever. They see their parents rarely and they are strangers, and the two teenagers show their anger at their parents readily. The parents just don't care.

Their same age friends, pretty much all from the same background are their family, they steal regularly, often with violence involved, to survive.

They basically have no future. 

My Thai Gf nephews - her sister sons, grew up without mother and father-he never cared, after the relationship ended - she was always away working,

just old Grand mama and uncle and aunts who did not care enough -

with 14 or 15? still under Thai -juvenile justice- he was lured from a known thug  with 3 or 4 other same old youngsters to help robbing a man - who, so the criminal knew had more cash at home that day from a business deal.

My Gf nephew threatened the man at one time with the gun provided from the older criminal

and got 3 years juvenile detention for armed robbery, 

was sitting all full 3 years, others came out more early, he did not behave inside? :wink:  

- one went away free of charge, he was still more under juvenile age. 

But since then, now 23 - he is quiet :tongue:

Edited by ALFREDO

On 21/9/2560 at 7:00 PM, 4MyEgo said:

Their punishment the 1st time was a public beating in front of our house, neighbours and anyone who walked past our front yard at that time watched the beating from my wife, her beating the two of them would make most of us guys cringe,

the 2nd time they did it, the beating was even more sever, this was once she let them out a month later after grounding them the 1st time, with me having to step into stop her after she drew blood from both of them with the previous wounds having just healed, now open again after the bamboo caning, 

personally I am not one for physical punishment, but remember been given a few serves from my old man back in the day, right or wrong, it had its impact on me, 

OMG, sorry to read that :sad:

I have 6 sons from 3 - 28 years young,

from 3 different women 2 older ones in my home country, staid with all of them for many years 

and stay with the younger three, 

3 - 13 y. young together - picking up my soon 16 year old son from his boarding school over weekends,

so have often full house with 4 of my boys and a 5 year young nephew too. 

I have never had to hit one of them - that is under my dignity - 

I saw my father beating his wife as a 2,5 year old before she died in a traffic accident me on the tractor,

got adopted with 3 from a seemingly ok kinship -

but there harsh conditions and to harsh punishments for me just 6 year young, 

beatings from the -uncle 2nd degree- = new father until he died - when I was 9.

Growing up with adoptive mother alone but also influenced -

by the to a other woman married Bf - a Psychological Axxhole! 

Nightmare!

I never hit my children and I look -

that the Thai mothers of my children do not do it either! 

They have a tendency to do that, they do not know it better -

I have words and reasoning and a loud voice - if necessary - a roar is enough from my 140+ kg  lol  :tongue:

15 minutes ago, ALFREDO said:

OMG, sorry to read that :sad:

I have 6 sons from 3 - 28 years young,

from 3 different women 2 older ones in my home country, staid with all of them for many years 

and stay with the younger three, 

3 - 13 y. young together - picking up my soon 16 year old son from his boarding school over weekends,

so have often full house with 4 of my boys and a 5 year young nephew too. 

I have never had to hit one of them - that is under my dignity - 

I saw my father beating his wife as a 2,5 year old before she died in a traffic accident me on the tractor,

got adopted with 3 from a seemingly ok kinship -

but there harsh conditions and to harsh punishments for me just 6 year young, 

beatings from the -uncle 2nd degree- = new father until he died - when I was 9.

Growing up with adoptive mother alone but also influenced -

by the to a other woman married Bf - a Psychological Axxhole! 

Nightmare!

I never hit my children and I look -

that the Thai mothers of my children do not do it either! 

They have a tendency to do that, they do not know it better -

I have words and reasoning and a loud voice - if necessary - a roar is enough from my 140+ kg  lol  :tongue:

Thanks for sharing ALFREDO, and sorry to hear of your suffering.

I also never hit, although sometimes a tap on the leg, or backside for the girls, because I know first hand what a hard hit can do to a child, i.e. my father slapped me when I was about 5, he left me permanently deaf in one of my ears, and I am sure he didn't mean to hit me so hard, but "shit happens"

As for the boys, all I can say, is they have turned out to be fine young men since the beatings, love and listen to their mother and me, so in my opinion, without her stepping up and giving them the flogging or watch them potentially get killed on a motorbike, or end up in a gang, she has my full support. 

I personally know how much pain she went through to bring them in line, as opposed to her grandparents allowing them to run free to do whatever they wanted during her absence overseas and leaving the boys in their care, if you can call it that, suffice to say, they are almost yelled at daily, because they can be somewhat sly and lazy, testing her patience, although dare not talk back to her, and as you know, a household full of kids can test your patience, especially when kids choose to take the wrong turn and show the wrong example to the others, so putting them into place, sets the correct example, as for me, when I grab that stick, they all run in different directions (the girls), but the boys know, I'm a pushover, the tap on the ground is enough for the little girls, for now, as much as I would like to just crack it once across their bums....lol 

Edited by 4MyEgo

Beating children is child abuse.  Publically beating them is even more cruel.  Beating and hitting children teaches them that beating and hitting other people who annoy them, or do something wrong in their eyes, is the normal thing to do. 

I find it strange people will hit their children, yet complain and be outraged if they see someone beating their dog!  

Since it seems that child abuse and beatings are common here.. it's no surprise that we keep seeing young adult boys violently attacking other people... because they have been raised with violence and fear in their childhood, from the very people who are supposed to love and nurture them.  Then in this example, the mother offering to buy off the victims... is another message to the young men that their behaviour was acceptable, as its supported by their own mother!  

Edited by jak2002003

4 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Beating children is child abuse.  Publically beating them is even more cruel.  Beating and hitting children teaches them that beating and hitting other people who annoy them, or do something wrong in their eyes, is the normal thing to do. 

I find it strange people will hit their children, yet complain and be outraged if they see someone beating their dog!  

Every child needs to learn discipline, not saying to be beaten to death or constantly being beaten on a daily bases, and if people see it as child abuse, then they are entitled to their opinions. 

But when a child in our household chooses to be a pillion passenger on the back of a speeding motorbike with gang members, he will be beaten, and so will anybody else who dares want to step up, now as opposed to seeing his mother holding his limp dead body in her arms crying that she lost her son, if a beating or two stops him from doing it again, which it has, I would even have a go to do it, if she couldn't do it, fortunately for me she had the balls to do it.

Got to be cruel to be kind as the saying goes, but each to their own, whatever works for them, but when options run out, one has to launch into action, for the benefit of the child.

10 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Thanks for sharing ALFREDO, and sorry to hear of your suffering.

A LIKE for that - thank you -

but for the other writing - we are to far apart and I not even hit my ,any dogs in my life i had and have. :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

if people see it as child abuse, then they are entitled to their opinions. 

It's not just people 'seeing' it as child abuse.  In the eyes of the law it is child abuse and although there isn't much evidence of enforcement, parents have been taken down under the law.  Usually needs a complaint from a 3rd party and I don't know whether you realise this but your own child can make the complaint.  There is a 'childline' in Thailand and a number for any child to call and report such abuse.  It has happened, even here!

13 minutes ago, HHTel said:

It's not just people 'seeing' it as child abuse.  In the eyes of the law it is child abuse and although there isn't much evidence of enforcement, parents have been taken down under the law.  Usually needs a complaint from a 3rd party and I don't know whether you realise this but your own child can make the complaint.  There is a 'childline' in Thailand and a number for any child to call and report such abuse.  It has happened, even here!

Yes I am aware of the laws thanks, however, we have our own rules, call them laws if you like, that wasn't made up, our kids, our laws, suffice to say, if the kids want to lodge a complaint about the way they have been treated, they have the numbers, its a two way street here, they know their rights and they know our rules, its a simple judgement call for them.

Having said that, they knew they were in the wrong, they knew they lied, and they knew they could be killed, suffice to say, they knew the punishment for going against the rules/law if you like. Would they deal in drugs, NO, would they hit someone, NO, would they get on the back of a speeding motorbike again, NO

I wonder why, drugs = jail, hitting someone = assault/jail, or 500 baht fine if in Thailand, yiatta yiatta yiatta, on the back of a speeding motorbike = caning by mum, worse than jail, as long as it gets through, call it want you want, our kids won't be dealing in or doing drugs, or hitting someone, and know the difference between stepping out of line, and being in line.

All the criticism in the world expected, our kids, our fair disciplines, as harsh as they may appear at times, depending on what transpired, suffice to say, I believe that if others took to their kids with discipline, with the occasional hand, there would be less fruit loops out there and less people in jail. My opinion anyway.

Edited by 4MyEgo

36 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Would they deal in drugs, NO, would they hit someone, NO, would they get on the back of a speeding motorbike again, NO

Let us wait and see - lol :wink:

by the way - "would they hit someone, NO"

So, same Jesus says  - if somebody hits you on the left cheek, present him also your right cheek?  :tongue:

by the way - "would they get on the back of a speeding motorbike again, NO"

Why you not teach them driving in a right way and let them drive,

with gloves, jean and sport shoes, no flip flops  and helmet and only in that way -

with a normal not overpowered motorbike scooter themselves? 

To young? TIT  :thumbsup:

44 minutes ago, ALFREDO said:

To young?

As I have ridden motorcycles all of my life, on road and off road when I was a teen, let's just say one has to grow a brain first.

Thai kids in my opinion are a little slower in learning than western kids, I know that is a generalisation, but if I thought the time was right for the boys to be on the bike, I will teach them, but both mum and me have said 16 might be the right age, for now, basketball, soccer, and school work.

They have plenty of time to kill themselves later in life if they so choose 555

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

Sorry if I sounded condescending. Just laying out the facts.  I actually agree with you.  My dad ruled with an army belt and the fear of that kept me on the straight and narrow.

I'm sure your kids will make you proud.

Water of a ducks back 555

7 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Yes I am aware of the laws thanks, however, we have our own rules, call them laws if you like, that wasn't made up, our kids, our laws, suffice to say, if the kids want to lodge a complaint about the way they have been treated, they have the numbers, its a two way street here, they know their rights and they know our rules, its a simple judgement call for them.

Having said that, they knew they were in the wrong, they knew they lied, and they knew they could be killed, suffice to say, they knew the punishment for going against the rules/law if you like. Would they deal in drugs, NO, would they hit someone, NO, would they get on the back of a speeding motorbike again, NO

I wonder why, drugs = jail, hitting someone = assault/jail, or 500 baht fine if in Thailand, yiatta yiatta yiatta, on the back of a speeding motorbike = caning by mum, worse than jail, as long as it gets through, call it want you want, our kids won't be dealing in or doing drugs, or hitting someone, and know the difference between stepping out of line, and being in line.

All the criticism in the world expected, our kids, our fair disciplines, as harsh as they may appear at times, depending on what transpired, suffice to say, I believe that if others took to their kids with discipline, with the occasional hand, there would be less fruit loops out there and less people in jail. My opinion anyway.

I want to suggest very politely that maybe you should take a step back and evaluate you methods.  It seems your children are regularly being beaten and abused in public, but they are still doing very bad behaviour, otherwise why do they continue to get physically punished, and yelled at so frequently?

33 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

I want to suggest very politely that maybe you should take a step back and evaluate you methods.  It seems your children are regularly being beaten and abused in public, but they are still doing very bad behaviour, otherwise why do they continue to get physically punished, and yelled at so frequently?

Sometimes when one try's to explain things on the forum, it can be a little misleading or taken the wrong way or explained incorrectly, shoot the messenger (me) as I always rush.

The boys have only been taken to the stick twice, both times when they knew that they were not to go on motorbikes "by any means", we have a clear policy in our house, meaning "no lies" and we want our kids to be truthful as they grow as opposed to live a life of lies.

On both occasions they lied, on both occasions they got taken to with the stick, suffice to say, we live with what has transpired and are grateful that the boys are alive, as opposed to dead, like one of the gang members who took a corner too fast and was killed instantly a few months later after the boys got their beating from their mother, we are not violent parents, but do believe that a good old fashion belt that is deserved to bring the kids back in line, as it did, that and the fact that one of the gang members died on his bike, the kids watching the parents at the funeral crying, and how he left his parents to suffer for his loss of life at such a young age.

Since then, well over a year ago they have lied occasionally, its normal, we know that, but not been beaten as you might think, we encourage the kids to fess up and we will all deal with the consequences, lies are considered an evil in our house, and we want our kids to be man enough to admit to their wrongs as they grow, to take responsibility for their actions, to know right from wrong, and explain to them what lies can actually do in to them in life and in a relationship, we give them examples, but don't preach to them, they know, its better to tell the truth and show us the respect that we deserve as parents, as opposed to lie to us in our faces, which is showing disrespect. They get it.

They don't do bad behaviour, yelling, well yes, some are thicker than others, and sometimes patience will get the better of either of us parents, yes we are guilty, God forbid, my 3 year old daughter deliberately challenged me this afternoon when I told her to put her bike away before she runs someone over, she road the bike up to me and said, you want me to run over you, I said if you do that to daddy, you will hurt him, and we know you don't want to go that, and as soon as I finished that sentence, she ran over my bare foot, and then she learnt that that wasn't on, with a smack across the leg, yes she cried, but she learned you don't do that, other might use a different method, each to their own, we then had a chat and discussed why she got the smack, and she apologised, and said she wouldn't do it again, we are not morons, but like I said, others might use other methods, we do as we feel fit as parents, and we don't go dictating to others how to raise their kids, and if it sends a message to the kids that its ok to smack when they are parents, well so be it, I remember the cane at school, it taught me to shut up in class, although took a few beatings, but it worked, teacher wants to teach, its his class, who the hell am I to talk over him, get my drift.

I am not looking for peoples acceptance on our methods, it is what it is, and I know of kids out there that get far worse than our kids get, when they get it, which is not often enough, because we restrain ourselves, but when enough is enough, voices are raised, and if they talk back or challenge, then they deal with the consequences, that is if their talking back is just that, i.e. has no relevance.

On 9/21/2017 at 9:15 AM, tonray said:

Is there any question as to why these punks behave like they do ?

Based upon past incidents, I expect the next step after refusal of the money is intimidation of the victims and families. 

METH!!