Honest dustmen return 200,000 baht they found in the trash

webfact

Honest dustmen return 200,000 baht they found in the trash

4pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Two Nonthaburi dustmen have returned 200,000 baht they found after collecting trash in the Bang Krang area.

The money was in two 1,000 baht wads. Yingyot Srikaet, 41, and his mate Phairot Yaemkleep, 40, were sorting their trash back at base when they looked inside an envelope.

They thought the money was fake at first but on closer inspection realized it was real. The honest men handed it in to their supervisor who managed to call the owner who was away up country.

The owner was amazed. They said that the money must have belonged to their elder brother who died recently. They had cleared his house and possessions and had no idea he had hidden money in the envelope.

The money is now in the safe keeping of the police for the return of the owner.

Yingyot said he found a phone once and the owner called and he sent it back by post. He had no need to keep other people's property, he said.

But he helpfully warned he public to make sure they know what they throw out - you might not be so lucky as this time, he said.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-09-21

Usually get sceptics on Thai Visa at the mention of taxi drivers returning money (not saying you are one of those; just anticipating).

Not me - after my 'man bag' with several 10s of thou baht, all my credit cards, keys, phone and camera was returned by a driver in Bangkok a few years ago. Always worth phoning the number that police will give you

And the fact that we see so many stories about returned money from taxi drivers is a result of what I think is a specific media strategy by the Bangkok cab industry (to persuade their members to play the honest Joe) and I take my hat off to them for that. In my case I wasn't paraded in front of press but when I arrived at the cab office (somewhere in Klong Toei, turned out to be a major dispatch centre also running a cab-drivers radio channel) I was given some private time with the driver - thanked him etc and gave him a reward he was very happy with - and then asked if I would do an interview over the air for cabbies with him.