Meet The Thai Medical Student Suing Donald Trump

webfact

Meet The Thai Medical Student Suing Donald Trump

By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee, Staff Reporter

New-1-696x391.jpg

A photo file of New in November 2016, after the election news, at San Francisco General Hospital. Photo: Jirayut Latthivongskorn / Courtesy

BANGKOK — New was 9 when he and his family emigrated from Bangkok to California in 1999. It was two years after the Tom Yum Goong economic crisis began, and his parents’ real estate and tourism businesses were going bankrupt.

Born Jirayut Latthivongskorn in 1989 in Bangkok, the self-described “spoiled” youngest child left behind his privileged, middle-class life of private schools. In California, his parents worked long hours at Thai restaurants. By the time New reached high school, he had no legal identification needed to find employment. So he waited tables, mopped floors and washed dishes to help his parents with expenses.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2017/09/21/meet-thai-medical-student-suing-donald-trump/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-09-21

Let me see if I understand this situation. Assuming my Math is correct, this young man is now about 27 years old. At the age of 18, a person can apply for US citizenship and from the article it appears that he would have met all of the criteria. I'm guessing that a person smart enough to attend Harvard, would have known this key information.

It is always convenient to blame any government for problems, but people need to take responsibility for their own lives.

1 hour ago, missoura said:

At the age of 18, a person can apply for US citizenship and from the article it appears that he would have met all of the criteria.

Not unless he had permanent residency (aka green card) in the US which he does not have.

Honestly, using the same logic, all children of foreigners should be allowed to attend school in Thailand on expired visas, and then expect to be granted permanent residency after graduation if they dream that is what they want.  And they shouldn't be deported if they are apprehended by immigration.  They should be allowed to stay in order to sue the Prime Minister.

Worded that way it seems nonsensical.  It only seems 'callous' if it's a foreigner staying in the US illegally.  I don't see people wringing their hands over Thai's "Good guys in, Bad guys out."  Let's all play on a level playing field.  

2 hours ago, missoura said:

Let me see if I understand this situation. Assuming my Math is correct, this young man is now about 27 years old. At the age of 18, a person can apply for US citizenship and from the article it appears that he would have met all of the criteria. I'm guessing that a person smart enough to attend Harvard, would have known this key information.

It is always convenient to blame any government for problems, but people need to take responsibility for their own lives.

No, he can't. That's the point dude. Since his parents became residents illegally he has no path available to him. Duh. 

Suggest that you google DACA for the facts before commenting on DACA issues again. 

Talking about 700,000 to 800,000 mostly productive law abiding young people that are basically Americans already, but lack the documents. It would be a moral disgrace to deport them, as well as self destructive to the well being of the nation as a whole.

Edited by Jingthing

3 minutes ago, connda said:

Honestly, using the same logic, all children of foreigners should be allowed to attend school in Thailand on expired visas, and then expect to be granted permanent residency after graduation if they dream that is what they want.  And they shouldn't be deported if they are apprehended by immigration.  They should be allowed to stay in order to sue the Prime Minister.

Worded that way it seems nonsensical.  It only seems 'callous' if it's a foreigner staying in the US illegally.  I don't see people wringing their hands over Thai's "Good guys in, Bad guys out."  Let's all play on a level playing field.  

This is NOT about Thailand immigration, dude.

It's about USA immigration.

Completely different countries.

Thailand is proudly xenophobic and does not consider itself a nation of immigrants. 

The USA has a different culture. Immigrants made the USA but it's not always pretty. Ask the native Americans. 

this guy would be among the top 1 percentile of the highly desirable immigrants based upon his future contributions to society.  i would vote to at least allow him to finish his training.

he would be a great asset at pattaya general hospital as some expats could explain in graphic detail what the ladyboys did to them and he would understand.

Edited by atyclb

The funny thing about all this is that while DACA which was as most dem senators agree on very shaky legal grounds was cancelled Trump has asked for an immigration bill that puts up the wall sets new more rigid standards and does not reward people coming into the country.

The idea of giving blanket coverage to a group was tried by Regan and it did not solve the issue.  

If the Dems really want to help the Dreamers then they need to sit down with the GOP and get a bill together.  

Saying we support the dreamers and doing nothing is like going on a diet at rotten ronnies.  In theory, it is a great idea but then, in fact, it is doomed to fail.

Something that Brits might understand easier is taking your wife with you to get a massage and getting a happy ending.   

why sue trump?  trump has nothing to do with the wording

of current immigration law. he simply rescinded an unconstitutional

executive order, and is apparently going to enforce the law

as written.

maybe sue congress?  they're the mob not rewriting the laws.

can illegal immigrants sue the us congress for not changing

the laws to their liking?

18 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

why sue trump?  trump has nothing to do with the wording

of current immigration law. he simply rescinded an unconstitutional

executive order, and is apparently going to enforce the law

as written.

maybe sue congress?  they're the mob not rewriting the laws.

can illegal immigrants sue the us congress for not changing

the laws to their liking?

It has not been ruled unconstitutional. He refused to defend it in court putting about 800,000 almost Americans in personal crisis. There was no need to proceed in the way he did and yes he cynically dumped the hot potato onto congress which is already overwhelmed with other issues. Sure if the mass deportation comes to pass the clown potus is well positioned to blame congress. Should make 2018 even more interesting. 

Double about the efficacy of suing anybody about this.

That's a separate question. 

Edited by Jingthing

Go back to Thailand. Apply for a Student Visa. Come back to the USA the legal way. After school, I am sure he will have no problems getting Permanent resident card to stay. after five years of residency, he qualifies for Citizenship. Htgere is a path for him and the other DACA people, they just don't want to take it. II hate getting a Cisa every years in Thailand, and reporting to Immigration every 90 days *which I have done for many years), but it is the law and I do it.

5 minutes ago, exparte said:

Go back to Thailand. Apply for a Student Visa. Come back to the USA the legal way. After school, I am sure he will have no problems getting Permanent resident card to stay. after five years of residency, he qualifies for Citizenship. Htgere is a path for him and the other DACA people, they just don't want to take it. II hate getting a Cisa every years in Thailand, and reporting to Immigration every 90 days *which I have done for many years), but it is the law and I do it.

I doubt the USA embassy in Bangkok would give him a student visa.

So where are your ties to Thailand so we know you want overstay your visa?

I don't have them. I've been living in the USA for most of my life.

What was your legal status in the USA?
Illegal for most of the time and on provisional DACA for part of it.

rejected.jpg.5348f9d163ea4400bdc93623fde979f3.jpg

Edited by Jingthing

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

This is NOT about Thailand immigration, dude.

It's about USA immigration.

Completely different countries.

Thailand is proudly xenophobic and does not consider itself a nation of immigrants. 

The USA has a different culture. Immigrants made the USA but it's not always pretty. Ask the native Americans. 

Immigrants DID NOT made the USA ... Europeans did

he and his family are illegal - how they got the $$$ to study Harvard? From Thai restaurant?

Get some Thai treatment - people in TH legal but still no rights, even if married. Report to police 4 times a year like a criminal

Edited by JohnLick

6 minutes ago, JohnLick said:

Immigrants DID NOT made the USA ... Europeans did

Yeah, that's the white resentment / white nationalist / white supremacist / Bannon / alt-right / trumpist / neo-Nazi / KKK line. 

The only people that weren't immigrants to the USA are native Americans, and even they came in a long time ago from Siberia. 

Also, of course, African American slaves. Can't really call them immigrants. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

It has not been ruled unconstitutional. He refused to defend it in court

unless i missed something in the news, i think you may

be confusing this with his travel ban.

for daca, there was nothing for trump to defend in court.  congress

is responsible for writing legislation, president is responsible

for enforcing it.

obama's executive order unconstitutionally (re)wrote

the law.  not his peroggi.  that's responsiblity of congress.

Just now, ChouDoufu said:

unless i missed something in the news, i think you may

be confusing this with his travel ban.

for daca, there was nothing for trump to defend in court.  congress

is responsible for writing legislation, president is responsible

for enforcing it.

obama's executive order unconstitutionally (re)wrote

the law.  not his peroggi.  that's responsiblity of congress.

You missed something. Yes, they were going to need to defend it in court if it was to continue. They might have lost but trump decided not to try and kick the ball to congress. This has nothing to do with the travel ban. 

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah, that's the white resentment / white nationalist / white supremacist / Bannon / alt-right / trumpist / neo-Nazi / KKK line. 

The only people that weren't immigrants to the USA are native Americans, and even they came in a long time ago from Siberia. 

Also, of course, African American slaves. Can't really call them immigrants. 

Yes, you confirm that Europeans created what now is USA, and also Australia... we are on the same page

Just now, JohnLick said:

Yes, you confirm that Europeans created what now is USA, and also Australia... we are on the same page

Speak for yourself. Do not speak for me. I did nothing of the kind. Don't try that game again. It's bad enough there are so many white nationalists and worse gaining power in the world. I won't be sucked into that racist pit of evil. 

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I doubt the USA embassy in Bangkok would give him a student visa.

So where are your ties to Thailand so we know you want overstay your visa?

I don't have them. I've been living in the USA for most of my life.

What was your legal status in the USA?
Illegal for most of the time and on provisional DACA for part of it.

rejected.jpg.5348f9d163ea4400bdc93623fde979f3.jpg

If he is going to Harvard or Any College for that matter, i am sure he will have no problem getting a Student Visa. My ties to Thailand is that I have been living here, married to a Thai for 22 years. I own several business, and have three half Thai kids. My legal status in the USA? I am a US Citizen. I have dealt with the US Embassy in Bangkok for man years, and have helped many Thai's get their Visa to the USA (even those who have have a history of illegal overstay in the USA). Your assumptions about the granting US Visas is totally wrong as are most Thai's. Do back to Thailand and come in legally, or face deportation; or even better yet, go back to your Native Country and change it instead of trying to change the USA.

No. He would have many black marks against him applying in Bangkok because he lived totally illegally in the USA for the most of his life. Don't try to spread false propaganda about the options DACA people have. It's cruel enough they are being threatened to be deported.

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Speak for yourself. Do not speak for me. I did nothing of the kind. Don't try that game again. It's bad enough there are so many white nationalists and worse gaining power in the world. I won't be sucked into that racist pit of evil. 

I'm hardly racist... born in EU, lived in Australia - shared apartments with people from all around the world.

Now having an amazing gf (three years) from Thailand and I hang out with Asians about 90+ % of my time.

But I'm realist ... if Thai give us shit by exploiting 400% tax on wine, they should get 400% exploit back... not be a sunflower b!tch and apologize that we did stuff for hundreds of years instead of waiting for coconuts to drop down

Edited by JohnLick

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You missed something. Yes, they were going to need to defend it in court if it was to continue. They might have lost but trump decided not to try and kick the ball to congress. This has nothing to do with the travel ban. 

got it now......thing is, it never would have made it to court under trump. 

not his project, so no question of him "trying" to defend something he

believes is not lawful.

had obama still been in office, his justice department would have of

course tried to defend it.

Just now, JohnLick said:

I'm hardly racist... born in EU, lived in Australia - shared apartments with people from all around the world.

Now having an amazing gf (three years) from Thailand and I hang out with Asians about 90+ % of my time.

But I'm realist ... if Thai give us shit by exploiting 400% tax on wine, they should get 400% back... not be a sunflower b!tch and apologize that we did stuff for hundreds of years instead of waiting for coconuts to drop down

This thread has nothing to do with Thai immigration or Thai wine taxes. Don't bother me again with your weird personal stuff. You just want to rant about your own schtick that has nothing to do with DACA people. 

Just now, ChouDoufu said:

got it now......thing is, it never would have made it to court under trump. 

not his project, so no question of him "trying" to defend something he

believes is not lawful.

had obama still been in office, his justice department would have of

course tried to defend it.

Dude, trump said several times he had a "heart" for DACA people. Then he told other people (his rabid racist base) that he wants to kick out all illegals including DACA. So which is the real trump? Based on his recent actions, the cruel one. 

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

This thread has nothing to do with Thai immigration or Thai wine taxes. Don't bother me again with your weird personal stuff. You just want to rant about your own schtick that has nothing to do with DACA people. 

It has.... if he is in this position in Thailand he would be kicked out tomorrow.

And Mr. P can't be sued

Edited by JohnLick

Just now, JohnLick said:

It has.... if he is in this position in Thailand he would be kicked out tomorrow.

No, it hasn't. 

This has nothing to do with foreigners in Thailand.

Desist from your obnoxious effort to hijack this thread.

There are plenty of other threads (largely this entire forum) to talk about THAI immigration issues. This is about USA immigration issues, specifically DACA people.

Bye. 

politicians say lots of things.  people hear what they want to hear.

in the end it comes down to this:

president does not have the legal authority to

rewrite immigration law through executive orders.

if the SJW congresscritters really want to allow the

daca illegals to stay, then instead of complaining about

how mean old man trump is, they better learn to bargain

with those who want to actually enforce the law.

1 minute ago, ChouDoufu said:

politicians say lots of things.  people hear what they want to hear.

in the end it comes down to this:

president does not have the legal authority to

rewrite immigration law through executive orders.

if the SJW congresscritters really want to allow the

daca illegals to stay, then instead of complaining about

how mean old man trump is, they better learn to bargain

with those who want to actually enforce the law.

SJW?

Congresscritters?

I've lost my will to continue this discussion at such as GUTTER level.

I know trump has made that a thing. I opt out.