What happened to Uber Black?

samtam

Since sometime in June, but only in effect for a week or so, Uber now have "Uber Flash", their answer to "Just Grab", and in the original June announcement they say those who want Uber Black can still get it. But the app shows only Uber Flash, Uber X or Uber Moto are available. Today's Uber Flash was a Toyota Altis Taxi that couldn't find my Central Chidlom pick up point, so after more than 15 minutes waiting on their predicted 2-6 minutes (varied between the two on a number of occasions), I cancelled, and received my THB45 penalty, refunded as a credit.

Grab seem to have seized the business opportunity with their variety of offers. Usually quite reliable, (as in ability to find my pick up point), but the quality of car (in the Grab Car Plus category) is nothing like Uber Black.

I would venture to say that Uber appears to have lost the market here in Bangkok, sadly. 

Uber has been very slow lately in the past months, I've had to cancel countless times because drivers can't find my apartment as well or are taking way to long. I've also been using Grab more than Uber lately.

Uber seems like its losing customers fast, seems like there are less drivers as well.

Man I couldn't count how many times I lost it because the drivers can't find places that a tourist second day in BKK would find.

Or I say go left ... driver goes left and immediately takes u-turn... <deleted>? I said left

That's not much Uber vs Grab but the fact Thais don't learn at school how to read maps

5 minutes ago, JohnLick said:

Man I couldn't count how many times I lost it because the drivers can't find places that a tourist second day in BKK would find.

Or I say go left ... driver goes left and immediately takes u-turn... <deleted>? I said left

That's not much Uber vs Grab but the fact Thais don't learn at school how to read maps

Only two times I took Uber, first I had a Chinese driver then another one who said "Korea" (probably also Chinese), neither could speak a word of Thai, not sure they had been here longer than a tourist on his second day...

Yes, the "navigation thingy" is a problem with Uber. I too have cancelled many times when they go to Suan Phlu instead of my soi just off Sathorn, and despite my concierge ringing the driver and giving them detailed instructions on how to get to my place; (I became aware pretty early on that following GPS or reading a Google map was beyond their ken.) Unfortunately this is a widespread trait, so doubtless Grab will pick up on that fault, in their newly created market. In fact already had a day where I had to cancel several because they went to the wrong address or took much much longer than the predicted ETA. This will always be an issue here with any pick up driver service, given the lack of map reading skills, knowledge of the city, and the heavy traffic. Pity really, as I quite liked Uber Black when it worked in the beginning. But they don't have a local office that they advertise, so any queries about the aforementioned are fobbed off with pointless responses, and clearly no interest to rectify. Lack of training investment has produced the inevitable outcome.

The problems with Uber drivers unable to find a pick up location is worldwide. I don't know what sat nav they are using but it seems far too inaccurate. They couldn't find Centre Point Silom Hotel (right above Robinsons shopping mall) in Bangrak Bangkok, or a well known hotel at Hyde Park in London. Many other times I have had to cancel. The concept is very good, but the operation is poor.

Grab has been extremely aggressive in offering promotions, my last trips in PTY where I use them frequently (not much need for them in BKK as I rarely have trouble finding a cab there that does not try to overcharge me) cost me between Zero and just 25 Baht after Promo code applied. I am sure they are as aggressive to lure Uber drivers away to join Grab.

From my understanding, Uber charges 25% commission whereas Grab only charges 15%.

In BKK the number of Uber cars has clearly thinned out, there are usually 5-10 times more Grab cars around.

Grab also seems to be not as strict with their drivers when it comes to cancelling trips they initially have accepted and whatever else, and as we know there is nothing more the Thais hate than to adhere to rules, I am sure this is a very appealing fact.

The UBER management in Thailand seems to be completely incompetent, otherwise they would not let all these things happen, because as we know, Uber can be very aggressive in their approach as well and do not lack the funds.

But no promotions offered for a long time, and the number of UBER drivers is not growing any longer.

In Pattaya where no regular cabs exist that use the Meter, Uber is still on par with Grab but this is changing too due to the sheer number of promotions GRAB is offering there. As soon I have used up my usually three rides that qualify for the promotion, they already send me another offer so I never run out of Promo-Codes to apply for huge discounts.

Indeed it would be very sad to see UBER  go, as fares will invariably go up when there is no more competition.

But as has been reported recently, UBER is considering its entire South-East-Asian business, so we have to expect the worst

It was only a matter of time before they figured out how to game the Uber system.

Uber's already on the 3rd "I".  The Innovators, the Imitators, and now the Idiots... 

I'm sure it's like when they first installed meters in BKK taxis and some folks thought that would solve everything...  Wrong.

Archived