Recommendations for a shower heater and bath heater.

nong38

I am looking for a heater for the shower, when I go to Home Pro I have a wall to choose from and a vast price range can anyone give me a good recommendation of company and quality/price what to look for please?

Similarly I have  a bath heater which will soon nead replacing. The original one was a multi point ( built to American Standard yeah right-poor quality) high price and  not  good. Everywhere I went all they showed me was the most expensive model and you can understand why, usual Thai thing, you can afford it! So again any company to go for or avoid, what should I be looking for price wise etc., any advice and help would be gratefully received, thanks.

Thanks for your advice, I see the two companies that seem to give good service without problems so will see which one the lady likes the look of, it all comes down to this in the end, I will just give her the choice.

On 9/22/2017 at 5:25 AM, Crossy said:

We have two Mazuma Power-Stream+2 multipoint heaters, at 8kW they actually rarely get used on full blast. I bought them because they are small and neat. Five years with no issues.

https://www.homepro.co.th/product/260931

260931.jpg

would one of these be suitable for dedicated shower use only? how does the pressure drop compare to an 'on demand' shower water heater unit (Hitachi, Panasonic, etc.)?

25 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

would one of these be suitable for dedicated shower use only? how does the pressure drop compare to an 'on demand' shower water heater unit (Hitachi, Panasonic, etc.)?

Ours run the sink (I like a warm water shave) and shower via a mixer unit.

Difficult to compare directly but the flow is pretty good (and ruddy hot without mixing "cold"). I don't think I could get enough flow to get the hot only down below skin-removing temperature when it's on full-bore.

We are using good quality 1/2" flexies to connect the heaters but they do restrict flow somewhat, bigger ones may be a good idea.

Nong38:  The staff at Homepro might have some experience with which water heaters get complaints and returns. I own five 8000 watt Stiebel Eltron multi point heaters, one 6000 watt Stiebel Eltron multi point water heater and one Toshiba 3500 watt on the wall unit. I had the opportunity to have a technician take apart and compare a 2017 Mazuma on the wall water heater made in a no name Chinese factory and a 2017 Panasonic water heater. There is a world of difference in the build quality and safety features. There is no Mazuma hot water heater factory. Panasonic and Stiebel Eltron have dedicated facilities. The Mazuma, and some other brands, are made contract by contract, to a price point.  In Buriram, different brands have contracts with independent repair facilities to perform warranty repairs and some are stick it in a box and wait a few weeks. I have personal  experience in which brand of hot water heater I could get fixed promptly after the warranty period in Buriram and which were a challenge. HomePro might not have the true lowest price on any item, but they have a good selection of electrical items. They will for a fair fee install your water heater. 

In 2005 we completed our house build with 4x Panasonic 6kw shower units for the bathrooms, and 1x Stiebel Eltron 6000w multi-point water heater for the kitchen (amongst many other appliances).

12 years later - no issues whatsoever with the showers. The kitchen water heater very occasionally trips off (Mrs CL likes to wash the dishes at nuclear temperatures) but it's an easy re-set.

Of course, none of these models are available in 2017 but, based on this experience, I wouldn't hesitate to choose Panasonic or Stiebel Eltron in future.

We also have 5x Mitsu Heavy Duty air cons (regularly serviced) which are still going strong since 2005.

The Mazuma models seem to use Redwing heating which is a Peterborough  (UK) based company, if they are buying them ready made from the UK then they should be ok, but if they dont have any repair facilities then it might be a problem but they do seem to be reliable product un like the Camarcio item I was sold before, no end of problems and call outs.

I have a local man who will come to Home Pro with me and we will discuss the options with the staff there and see what we come up with. Does anyone know what Home Pro charge for installations? Between this and this would be ok so I can get an idea and am presuming that their standard of work is as good as you get here.

On ‎22‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 5:38 AM, inThailand said:

A stiebel multi point 6 or 8k. Have several and never a problem. 

Have owned Stiebel shower heaters for 10 years. Performed flawlessly and only very recently replaced the water flow detector/cut-off assembly on one, which was cheap and easy to do. Have had both thoroughly safety  checked by Stiebel engineers including installation review and both are operating efficiently and safely. 

As a real Kraut, I can tell you, go with Stiebel.  But if you do not live in a condo and have your own house, look for a solar heater consisting of black copper water tubes inside a frame covered with glass, which has the ability to reflect the incoming rays on the inside of the glass only. It should be placed on the roof, with an angle responding to your latitude and facing south for optimum hot water delivery. Some folks I know have it leaned against the house wall, as they do not have a mixer tab. Over the years this is a perfect money saving solution. If you do it your self, one unit costs a maximum of 4.000 THB including the piping. Now calculate by yourself, how much you can save.

Stable Eltron...  

Initially it was installed by 'my Condo guys' incorrectly of course !.... The Mains wires were not quite long enough, so they simply spliced in 6 Inches of 3 much smaller wires.

When I called Stable Eltron to tell them that their Water heater had failed after just a couple of months they sent a Senior Electrician accompanied by a European Chappy (Management I think) to find the fault and ensure I was satisfied with their response. 

The response was excellent... I would choose their equipment again given the choice. 

This is something like asking how long is a piece of string.

Posters are going to give different recommendations according to the model shower heaters they have or have had in the past. I have a Panasonic, been going for 6 years with no problems.

All I can say is buy one of the well known brands what you think are offering the best deals at the time.

On 9/22/2017 at 5:25 AM, Crossy said:

We have two Mazuma Power-Stream+2 multipoint heaters, at 8kW they actually rarely get used on full blast. I bought them because they are small and neat. Five years with no issues.

260931.jpg

Crossy,

Can you tell me how much load current the Circuit Breaker feeding the 8 KW units is set for?  Thanks, UW.

Hi, been here over 25 yrs, These electric instant heaters just do not cut it for me, I used gas at home, for many years until we had pressure problems.

Now I shower and bath on the 3rd story shophouse with a water tank, I for get how big250 ltr or 380 0r 500. Many different brands I think the one I bought was from Malaysia. Turn the switch on for 5 minutes for a steaming hot shower, maybe a little longer for a bath. The tank is installed only a couple of foot above the shower head, best pressure shower I have purchased yet! about the same price as instant hotwater 10 times better!!!!!

You must have hot and cold water taps though as it is way tooo!! hot I use less than half hot full cold for shower! More hot for bath!

Only way to go......check them out have Siebel also

I too only had gas hot water tanks before coming to Thailand. My first condo had a 80 liter electric hot water tank as did all the units. Most failed within 5 years. Some from improper wiring, some no pressure release values, some rusting out. Add in the electric cost to run them 24 x 7, the electric heaters are far superior for the same or less initial costs and less running costs.  

On 25-9-2017 at 7:32 PM, mikecha said:

hi where did you buy this in thailand 

try to put this in your browser and it come up with some   

เครื่องทำน้ำอุ่นพลังงานแสงอาทิตย์ในประเทศไทย

https://www.thaihotwater.com/15267748/เครื่องทำน้ำร้อนแสงอาทิตย์-ชนิดหลอดสูญญากาศ

for instance. Totally ready deliverd and installed, you can see the prices.

Ofcourse alibaba has many  off them for sale, mostly big parties, but there are also 1 set. However then it has to come to you and cost you shipping, other transport, tax and so on. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎22‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 5:25 AM, Crossy said:

260931.jpg

Crossy I have had one of these under the kitchen sink for more than 5 years. Discovered today it seems to have stopped working I think following the big storm Fri night/Sat am here. The reason I make that assumption is I lost both my router and a True modem. Fried both power supplies but on my router with a new power supply the wireless worked but not the LAN port........

Is there a simple way to test the unit to see if it is recoverable or do I have to get a new one?

Also why would the storm have trashed what it did but not anything else like the TV or microwave? Also a Stiebel under sink heater in the main bathroom seems unaffected.

These things are very simple, is it something as daft as the built-in RCD has tripped?

Press the Test button and reset anyway. Also check that its breaker in the board hasn't tripped.

Ours have survived numerous surges and one direct hit on the roof, has to be something silly.

53 minutes ago, Crossy said:

These things are very simple, is it something as daft as the built-in RCD has tripped?

Press the Test button and reset anyway. Also check that its breaker in the board hasn't tripped.

Ours have survived numerous surges and one direct hit on the roof, has to be something silly.

Thanks yes I was just playing around with the ELCB button again after going and looking at replacement costs at Home pro and it is now working again.

:sorry: