Debt-dodging dentist’s Thai medical license revoked over unpaid debts

snoop1130

By Coconuts Bangkok

kjhmn.PNG

Online viral photo of the dentist and her husband.

Notorious debt-dodging dentist Dolrudee Jumlongras will have her Thai dental license revoked over the non-payment of THB36 million (USD1.08 million) in debts that she skipped out on after going to the U.S. to study at Harvard University over 20 years ago.

The Thai Dental Council announced today that they will yank her dental licence due to her breaking the contracts of three Thai education loans she received and never repaid, despite her promises last year to sell of her assets in the U.S. and repay the debt.

They said that she is guilty of misconduct and fraud. They noted that she has tarnished the reputation of the dental profession and that she had broken the dental code of ethics and that annulling her license was a fitting punishment.

Full Story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/debt-dodging-dentists-thai-medical-license-revoked-unpaid-debts/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-9-21

Isn't it amazing that a debt of 8 million baht has quadrupled to 36 million baht? Apparently these benevolent dentists who lent the money charged a not so benevolent interest rate, which may be considered usury in the United States. Sounds like these 4 dentists saw this loan as a pot of gold investment rather than one to help a budding talent.

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

By Coconuts Bangkok

kjhmn.PNG

Online viral photo of the dentist and her husband.

Notorious debt-dodging dentist Dolrudee Jumlongras will have her Thai dental license revoked over the non-payment of THB36 million (USD1.08 million) in debts that she skipped out on after going to the U.S. to study at Harvard University over 20 years ago.

The Thai Dental Council announced today that they will yank her dental licence due to her breaking the contracts of three Thai education loans she received and never repaid, despite her promises last year to sell of her assets in the U.S. and repay the debt.

They said that she is guilty of misconduct and fraud. They noted that she has tarnished the reputation of the dental profession and that she had broken the dental code of ethics and that annulling her license was a fitting punishment.

Full Story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/debt-dodging-dentists-thai-medical-license-revoked-unpaid-debts/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-9-2
Edited by barefootbangkok
Incomplete

14 hours ago, binjalin said:

Revoked in Thailand and so what? she is certified in USA?  oh she's going to be  MORTIFIED that Thailand revoked her licence?   :cheesy:

Well if i were in the USA i sure wouldn't visit  her as a dentist. Just wait untill it's in the newspapers overthere.

So she lost her Thai dental license - big deal, as if she gives a flying F.

Agree that a 8 million debt ballooning to 36 million sounds suspect.

And I think it's about time to call a spade a spade.

What she received was NOT a scholarship, it was a study loan/grant.

Scholarships don't need repayment and guarantors.

17 hours ago, binjalin said:

Revoked in Thailand and so what? she is certified in USA?  oh she's going to be  MORTIFIED that Thailand revoked her licence?   :cheesy:

usa state dental boards have an ethics/moral character requirement and for a foreign trained dentist to be eligible for a usa dental license their home country license must be in good standing, which it was in her case. this requirement is not static, dental boards perpetually review updated information and complaints against dentists and routinely suspend, revoke, issue warnings etc etc to errant dentists.  in the usa too many top earning professionals had failed to repay their student loans and litigation/collection costs were prohibitively high thus state boards in accordance with the moral character requirement have used license non renewal to motivate loan repayment. it works like a charm motivating the deadbeat lawyers, dentists, and doctors.  wonder what the ma dental board will do?    below is the publicly available license info

Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 1.50.05 PM.png

10 hours ago, varun said:

So she lost her Thai dental license - big deal, as if she gives a flying F.

Agree that a 8 million debt ballooning to 36 million sounds suspect.

And I think it's about time to call a spade a spade.

What she received was NOT a scholarship, it was a study loan/grant.

Another interesting factor is that 20 years ago was during the Asian financial crisis. The USD-THB rate fluctuated between 25 to 55 baht to the dollar during that time, which would make 8 million baht range in value between $145,000-320,000 US. If the money was lent at the low point, that's an incredible increase of 700% in value. Nice return boys! So much for benevolence...

I dare say, that's neither a scholarship nor a grant. It's a very profitable investment...ala Donald Trump???

Edited by barefootbangkok
Correction

11 hours ago, barefootbangkok said:

Isn't it amazing that a debt of 8 million baht has quadrupled to 36 million baht? Apparently these benevolent dentists who lent the money charged a not so benevolent interest rate, which may be considered usury in the United States. Sounds like these 4 dentists saw this loan as a pot of gold investment rather than one to help a budding talent.

Over twenty years compounded roughly 9% interest. Hardly usury.

Edited by Ulic

11 hours ago, barefootbangkok said:

The increased value is part and parcel of the loan arrangement she entered into years back, as for the guarantors seeing it as a golden investment, what a load of nonsense - it just highlights the fact you don't know what you're talking about. 

4 minutes ago, Artisi said:

The increased value is part and parcel of the loan arrangement she entered into years back, as for the guarantors seeing it as a golden investment, what a load of nonsense - it just highlights the fact you don't know what you're talking about. 

I guess if you're Asian, I guess you're used to making a 450% profit off an educational loan. In the U.S. educational loans are made affordable so that people that don't have money can become successful. The present US rate is now 4.45% up from 3.76%.

Here it is just another way to get  a rich off the backs of the poor.  The poor have no chance to get a good education without encumbering themselves for a lifetime.

Educational loans in 1998 (1 year) in the US totaled $40 billion. Educational loans in Thailand from 1996 to the present time (22 years) is a total of $11.6 billion. Let's see, which country supports education for needy people more?

5 minutes ago, barefootbangkok said:

I guess if you're Asian, I guess you're used to making a 450% profit off an educational loan. In the U.S. educational loans are made affordable so that people that don't have money can become successful. The present US rate is now 4.45% up from 3.76%.

Here it is just another way to get  a rich off the backs of the poor.  The poor have no chance to get a good education without encumbering themselves for a lifetime.

Educational loans in 1998 (1 year) in the US totaled $40 billion. Educational loans in Thailand from 1996 to the present time (22 years) is a total of $11.6 billion. Let's see, which country supports education for needy people more?

Really shows where their priorities is doesn't it? US$700 billion INCREASE in military spending I mean.

56 minutes ago, barefootbangkok said:

first off thailand is not the usa. we already know thailand is not such a fair just and equitable society

the dentist was not poor, she could have enjoyed a very comfortable life as such in thailand

harvard is an exceedingly expensive university unless you have some significant scholarship. students from non affluent families get a ton of debt. likely a high % of harvard students come from well to do families

such educational training programs for non us non state resident dentists are expensive. though  i could not find the cost at harvard, i did find the cost at a much more affordable state school, university of texas. keep in mind the thai dentist did 2 degrees, masters and a phd and that led to her attaining a dental license in Mass.

a non rich thai could likely never pay for such a program but a grant-loan call it what you will paid for all her expenses with the caveat that after graduation she return to thailand and work and teach for x number of years. she would receive a good salary during such teaching and could also work at private clinics and she would not have to payback any cash that her harvard education cost. not a bad deal. of course in such a contract, there is normally a penalty clause for breech to keep her honest. other thais afforded this type of grant that decided to stay in america honored the contract and breach clause because dentists, doctors in usa have high incomes. without a breach clause likely many would not return and stiff the loan source.

Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 11.04.52 PM.png

Edited by atyclb

1 hour ago, barefootbangkok said:

thailand has about 1/6 the population the usa does and in general education costs in thailand and cost of living are much lower than in the us. i am not claiming thailand education assistance has parity with the usa just saying some other factors should be weighed in.

read recently the cost to complete the medical program at cambridge uk is in the range 500 - 600 thousand. dont recallif was pounds or euros.

Edited by atyclb

22 minutes ago, atyclb said:

read recently the cost to complete the medical program at cambridge uk is in the range 500 - 600 thousand. dont recallif was pounds or euros.

Yes very expensive. Im quite sure a year at Harvard can cost $200k in tuition and expenses. From what I read, this was not an educational loan from the University or the government but a personal loan made by 4 professors.

Whatever the case, the woman should pay the amount she owes and a reasonable amount of interest.  No one should evade debts.  However the research on Thailand shows the poorer a Thai person is, the higher the debt and the interest is. Most poor Thais have no chance for a higher education. Most poor Thais don't make enough to pay for the hamburgers in the fancy restaurants they work in, let alone pay for a university or even a high school education.

However you have made valid points. Let the courts will decide the matter. I'm sure the decision will be more than fair.

30 minutes ago, barefootbangkok said:

Yes very expensive. Im quite sure a year at Harvard can cost $200k in tuition and expenses. From what I read, this was not an educational loan from the University or the government but a personal loan made by 4 professors.

Whatever the case, the woman should pay the amount she owes and a reasonable amount of interest.  No one should evade debts.  However the research on Thailand shows the poorer a Thai person is, the higher the debt and the interest is. Most poor Thais have no chance for a higher education. Most poor Thais don't make enough to pay for the hamburgers in the fancy restaurants they work in, let alone pay for a university or even a high school education.

However you have made valid points. Let the courts will decide the matter. I'm sure the decision will be more than fair.

thank you.

i have thai friends that graduated ramkamhaeng university, a public university, and they are not from even middle class

it seems the university would have covered all the costs assuming there was no breach but a bit odd the uni required guarantors. guess they know better and dont trust each other that much.  i had student loans in usa and there was no personal guarantor requirement. i fully repaid all loans a long time ago and was very grateful.

what may happen is the mass dental will take up the matter at one of their monthly meetings and may decide to motivate the dentist with license non renewal or other disciplinary action. the thai court in sympathy to the loan guarantors lowered the total amount to 12 million baht. a dentist earning 200 k per year should be able to finance repayment and given her history of loan default in thailand a usa bank might require her house title as collateral, even more motivation for her.

Edited by atyclb

2 hours ago, Artisi said:

if she had returned to thailand to teach as agreed the university would have covered the loan and doesnt seem the guarantors would have been effected one way or the other. were the guarantors not just in case of breach??  it doesnt seem to guarantors were seeking a return or even making an investment.

its the same if you have a son or daughter of good friend that wants to study and you guaranty a loan for them.

Dental Instructor Draws Anger in Thailand

By WILLIAM C. SKINNER, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER February 11, 2016

UPDATED: February 15, 2016, at 9:20 a.m.

A Harvard Dental School instructor has been accused of fleeing scholarship loan debts in Thailand, prompting massive outrage in the country among its citizens.

In 1993, Dolrudee Jumlongras allegedly agreed to a scholarship loan of Thai Baht 8 million—which under current exchange rates amounts to roughly $220,000—whereby Thailand’s Mahidol University would sponsor her to study dentistry at Harvard and she would repay the loan upon returning from her studies by working at Mahidol, according to English-language news outlet the Bangkok Post.

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2016/2/11/thai-dentist-debt-outrage/

6 hours ago, atyclb said:

if she had returned to thailand to teach as agreed the university would have covered the loan and doesnt seem the guarantors would have been effected one way or the other. were the guarantors not just in case of breach??  it doesnt seem to guarantors were seeking a return or even making an investment.

its the same if you have a son or daughter of good friend that wants to study and you guaranty a loan for them.

Correct, had she returned as promised and worked the time teaching (usually twice the time away studying) nobody would owe anything to anybody. 

7 hours ago, Thechook said:

How can they revoke her licence because she has a debt?  Malpractice I understand but for a bill?

the very significant and real issue at hand is the fact that her thailand license was revoked and the reasons for it. professional boards have an ethical/ moral character requirement in addition to competency. default on student loan is a reason boards non renew licenses in the usa. the loan is is how the practitioner got to be the practitioner and is inseparable from ethical moral character. license non renewal and or revocation-suspension is also known to a good way to motivate impaired professionals to enter rehab.

14 minutes ago, atyclb said:

the very significant and real issue at hand is the fact that her thailand license was revoked and the reasons for it. professional boards have an ethical/ moral character requirement in addition to competency. default on student loan is a reason boards non renew licenses in the usa. the loan is is how the practitioner got to be the practitioner and is inseparable from ethical moral character. license non renewal and or revocation-suspension is also known to a good way to motivate impaired professionals to enter rehab.

Not forgetting her guarantor's to the study loan are liable for the amount outstanding on her behalf. Really says something about her character and morals.