Pattaya Bangkok Hospital

expatgaz

Just spoken to my wife who informs me our little boy is not very well.She took him to PBH for a check.They have decided to keep him in for 24 hrs to monitor him as they think he has an infection so needs anti biotics.This is fine and money for taking care of my Sons health is really not important.However for the overnight stay and to be "monitored" the price is a basic 20,000 plus any additional treatment.This in my opinion is outrageous.No wonder they can afford to build a nice new wing to their Hospital.My opinion is Soi 4 Pattaya International is a much better Hospital and far more reasonable rates.Are we suffering from PBH price hiking ???

:o EPG

Just spoken to my wife who informs me our little boy is not very well.She took him to PBH for a check.They have decided to keep him in for 24 hrs to monitor him as they think he has an infection so needs anti biotics.This is fine and money for taking care of my Sons health is really not important.However for the overnight stay and to be "monitored" the price is a basic 20,000 plus any additional treatment.This in my opinion is outrageous.No wonder they can afford to build a nice new wing to their Hospital.My opinion is Soi 4 Pattaya International is a much better Hospital and far more reasonable rates.Are we suffering from PBH price hiking ???

expatgaz, i had a similar experience with my son a few years back. Paid 8000 for an overnight stay , with the total bill coming to 12000, and as it turned out the whole thing was unneccesary.

My neighbours recently had their child in for a few nights and only paid 1500 per night. It is a business and they will extract money from you any way they can.

It does sound a bit over the top on the cost.

But why take him there, if the other hospital is better and cheaper?

Any way it should not be an issue, as your family medical insurance should cover all

the costs. You do have some don’t you.

Hope he gets well soon.

Have a nice day.

Yes, I'm afraid that BPH has a bit of a reputation for charging very high prices and also for padding bills where insurance companies are paying.

Pattaya International is cheaper but maybe not by that much. My lad (7) had some sort of abdominal infection and we took him to PI for a blood and urine test. The cost of the consultation and the tests came to several thousand Baht but the real crunch was when they wanted to keep him in for three days. They were very cagey about the projected costs but these would have been, apparently, at least 15000 Baht per day.

Ultimately, we took him down the road to the naval hospital in Sattahip, where the bill, for three nights, including drugs, room, nursing, everything, was less than 6000 Baht. We found the staff and facilities there to be excellent (would put most UK hospitals to shame) and I thoroughly recommend the place. If you have some problem that they can't deal with then you may be better off going to BKK.

DM

I'm not debating the validity of the dispute of what the bill should be for the above mentioned hospital stays. It is just funny as hel_l to compare them with what you'd pay in the states.

I just had a motorcycle accident on the mountain roads near Doi Inthanon. Fractured scull, cranial hematoma, broken nose, fractured clavicle, five broken ribs. The locals shipped me toute de suite (40 miles or so) to Chiang Mai Ram. Four days (unconscious) in the ICU, three more in standard room. Cranial op with blood drainage, multiple neural CT scans, the whole nine yards, rafts of pills, etc. Pretty much Western level, ended up chatting with my doc when I finally came back around, UMinn, worked at the freaking Mayo clinic for a few years. Just hysterical.

Total bill: 85k THB Chatted up my sister who's an RN at Cambridge City Hospital, has worked at Mass General and Brigham and Women's, her estimate of price range for a similar range of treatment depending on hospital in Boston area, broad range: 35k to 90k (that would be in dollars).

My very recent experience at BPH was not good.

I have a mid level Bupha Ins. Plan and went there to see a doctor for a consultation.

Was chaperoned to the cashier upon completion and given a blank paper with only a photocopy of my insurance card and asked to sign it.

I asked what the price was and was told 2700 baht

This was for doctors fees and some sleeping pills.

I refused the medicines saying I would buy them myself and asked for an itemized statement.

It dropped to 1800. for doctors fees and administrative fees.

Still no deduction for my insurance plan.

I asked very loudly if they charge foreigners more here and if the had two prices for care .

There is a large waiting area around the cashier and this was mid afternoon and the place was busy.

I was asked to please sit down.

A few minutes later was called back to the counter , my payment portion "adjusted" to 310 baht w/o any medicines.

My insurance was billed 500 baht and I signed the above mentioned photocopied page.

I sure will not be going back there while conscious..

Edited by Vespa

gf is pregnant and was talking to a new mum who had given birth at bangkok pattaya. no complications or other contributing factors---------- 70,000 baht :o

Find this very hard to believe.

My girlfriend who had a C section (planned) and 4 nights in Bangkok Pattaya with all the trimmings and the bill was 39,990 baht.

Chivas

True, however it is a quality hospital. Went a few times with flu syndroms, quick check, get a sack of medicine which cost me 1,500 - 2,000 Bht. You could buy the same stuff at a pharmacy for a 1/10 of that.

However, in case of serious issues, I'd still prefer the BPH...and take no risks to go up-country. Better check, what your insurance will cover...

gf is pregnant and was talking to a new mum who had given birth at bangkok pattaya. no complications or other contributing factors---------- 70,000 baht :o

My girlfriend who had a C section (planned) and 4 nights in Bangkok Pattaya with all the trimmings and the bill was 39,990 baht.

Chivas

Agree with Chivas, my wife gave birth there last month (C Sec) was no more than 40,000.

The bitch of it is, you'll never know if the overnight stay was really necessary.

I wonder how many kids they prescribe medicine and then say to the parents, "Don't worry, he'll/she'll be fine. He/She doesn't have to stay overnight." Probably zero.

Knowing that anyone who can afford it is not going to take a gamble on their child's health, they err greatly on the side of caution. This of course helps the hospital stay afloat and ensure their own paychecks will never be in jeopardy.

This would be a good test: Someone should bring in a kid who's totally healthy, not even sick. Fake some minor ailment and see if they suggest the kid stay overnight.

My little Boy stayed in only 1 night,he's fine now.I got my wife to kick up a bit of a fuss abt the high price they where charging and miraculously the bill dropped from 20,000 to 13,000.That says it all really.

So your now telling us you went back two days latter and got some discount.

Incredible. Amazing Thailand. What more can I say.

:o

No.Iam at work overseas.I called my wife to get regular updates on his condition.She told me the price the Hospital where quoting her.I informed her that first priority was to ensure the Boy was well and getting treated, money does NOT come into it when you hear your child has been taken into hospital.The following day I spoke to her as she and the Boy where leaving the ward and getting ready to settle the bill.I told her to ask abt the high charge and make a bit of a "fuss" over it.She duly did this and called me back to inform me that the bil was reduced from 20,000 to 13,000 at the payment desk.

Hope that clears it up for you icecubes ?

No.Iam at work overseas.I called my wife to get regular updates on his condition.She told me the price the Hospital where quoting her.I informed her that first priority was to ensure the Boy was well and getting treated, money does NOT come into it when you hear your child has been taken into hospital.The following day I spoke to her as she and the Boy where leaving the ward and getting ready to settle the bill.I told her to ask abt the high charge and make a bit of a "fuss" over it.She duly did this and called me back to inform me that the bil was reduced from 20,000 to 13,000 at the payment desk.

As you never answered my question about insurance.

No worries its as clear as mud.

I have just come back from there after having a standard medical.

The 'hotelospital' is certainly impressive, It doesnt surprise me that this thread is here regarding costs, I imagine the swish decor and air hostess type uniforms have to be funded by someone.

The medical consisted of:

Chest Xray

Blood Test

Blood Pressure

Check eyesight

Measure Height, Check Weight

All in all it took around 2 hours, some waiting between departments but not much. Total cost 2,850 THB.

The 'hotelospital' is certainly impressive, It doesnt surprise me that this thread is here regarding costs, I imagine the swish decor and air hostess type uniforms have to be funded by someone.

Chest Xray

Blood Test

Blood Pressure

Check eyesight

All in all it took around 2 hours, some waiting between departments but not much. Total cost 2,850 THB.

I had the same things done last year for a visa for my wife and daughter. In addition, they ran a urinalysis, stool test, dental exam, HIV test and a Doctor's visit.

The cost was 1,600 each and was performed at St. Louis Hospital in BKK.

I won't go to BKK-Pattaya.

ill just reiterate what Buriramboy said we used to live quite close to Sattahip hosi, its as good as Bkk hosi and about a 1/3 of the price and the doctors speak just as good english as in the bkk hosi so why would anyone go there if its so expensive?

i can only assume they think were all rich and stupid.

ill just reiterate what Buriramboy said we used to live quite close to Sattahip hosi, its as good as Bkk hosi and about a 1/3 of the price and the doctors speak just as good english as in the bkk hosi so why would anyone go there if its so expensive?

i can only assume they think were all rich and stupid.

I think they think we will be willing to pay so much extra for the "ambiance" of the place. Sadly, many are, and this just encourages them. But, back to real life, we see this in capitalism everywhere in the world. You can get pretty much the same plate of Thai food from 20 baht to 200 baht, depending on the restaurant's level of fanciness and target market.

Chest Xray

Blood Test

Blood Pressure

Check eyesight

Eighteen months ago I had the same series of tests for a visa to Saudi. In London it cost £ 500.- That's 35,000 Baht. And it was in a poky room in a hundred-year-old house in Harley Street, where a group of quacks trade on the (now lost) reputation of the road.

Still waiting. Op

Is it a difficult question about insurance for your family?

You caring about money no problem and all that.

Still waiting. Op

Is it a difficult question about insurance for your family?

You caring about money no problem and all that.

O come on don't you want to play anymore? :D

Chest Xray

Blood Test

Blood Pressure

Check eyesight

Check eyesight, height and weight? Why would you pay a doctor to do that? It's usually pretty obvious how your eyes function, so why would you need a doctor to check them....just head down to the optometrist when you need some new glasses.

Whenever I go to PIH, they always want to take my blood pressure and measure my weight so they can add on substantial nurse's fee. I always decline this service.

Edited by tropo

Chivas

Agree with Chivas, my wife gave birth there last month (C Sec) was no more than 40,000.

thought it sounded a bit much,however thats what shes telling everybody in our building, and presumably her boyfriend who is away !! maybe shes just padding out the bill for him !!!!! :D

I agree with others about BPH they are rip offs, soi 4 international is getting nearly as bad.

we now take our daughter to satahip ,once you register and get your card its a bit quicker,but be prepared to wait,and eveyone stops for lunch,get there early,main section closes at 5pm,emergancy open all the time naturaly.

daughter was there for 4 days 9.000 .one night in BPH 22,000 same prob,never again if i can help it.

cat

I agree with others about BPH they are rip offs, soi 4 international is getting nearly as bad.

we now take our daughter to satahip ,once you register and get your card its a bit quicker,but be prepared to wait,and eveyone stops for lunch,get there early,main section closes at 5pm,emergancy open all the time naturaly.

daughter was there for 4 days 9.000 .one night in BPH 22,000 same prob,never again if i can help it.

cat

would you be able to give some general directions to Satahip Hospital? How far is it from Pattaya?