Top-notch Gyms In Cm

mobiryder

I hear there's a Fitness First and California Fitness... Anyone have any experiences with these or other gyms? I'd be more interested in high-end / exclusive kinds of gyms as I hate working out with a million ppl around me ;-)

thx in advance

Mobi

hi, there have been several discussions about gyms in chiang mai during the last few months. you might find the information you need by searching for "gyms" or "exercise." good luck

California Wow will probably be the biggest gym in CM with the most members when it opens at Central Airport Plazza in February.

I think they are aiming for 3,000 members and are nearly full so I have been told...(but you can take that story with a pinch of salt)

If you want to check it out there are staff there now on the top floor, but I must say their equipment is state of the art.

Their running machines have TV's and scales...never seen that before.

PS. Scales are for weighing oneself...not scales like a fish has before anyone jumps on it!!!!

California Wow will probably be the biggest gym in CM with the most members when it opens at Central Airport Plazza in February.

It looks pretty open at the moment! Maybe that is when they will have an opening ceremony.

Have you seen people working out in there then?

I have joined but they have not told me it is ready yet :o

I've been working out at California Wow. I have a Platinum membership from Bangkok. It's not really open but I guess if you have a membership you can use it. There are no changing rooms yet. They have a small amount of weight machines available and the cardio machines are in front of the windows. It's mostly to help membership sales. People often stand in front of the window staring at me while I am on a cardio machine. I think they think I am a farang product demonstrator. I can tell they are thinking, "Why don't they get a younger handsomer farang?" The music is astonishingly loud and bad.

I always join the best hotel fitness centers because I like the luxury and privacy for an hour a day of my life. The Hyatt in Bangok is the best yet. Unfortunately, in Chiang Mai, the Chedi seems well overpriced for what you get, the Mandarin Oriental is too far from my house. D2 isn't bad, and is priced right, but has made the standard Thai hotel decision not to properly maintain the low end Life Fitness brand cardio equipment. I can't stand it when the stuff creaks rattles and moans.

Looks like California Wow might be the best choice given the various trade-offs. I'm hoping it forces Powerhouse to lower it's prices or purchase better equipment.

Edited by ricklev

So with California Wow gym, shoppers can just stand and watch through the glass? The whole gym? Hmm, not sure if I like that, straining on some weights with someone watching me usually makes me laugh!

And do anyone know if protein supplement powder is widely availble around Chiang Mai?