Cheap cellphone calls to UK?

cheeryble

Hi

I've screwed up my Skype account temporarily. 

I have a dual sim phone with AIS prepaid and True monthly account.

On AIS some years ago i used to put 09 or 06 in front of the UK number and it came out much cheaper than normal.

09 44 1273 XXXXXX

I just tried AIS and it doesn't seem to work 

In fact I couldn't even get through to my sister in Brighton by dialling straight with

0441273XXXXXX

or 

00441273XXXXXX

Any guidance on the cheapest easy method would be appreciated.

The number that you were thinking of is the CAT bypass number of 009

Fixed :5 baht + VAT

Mobile :7 baht + VAT

Same as Truemove H 006

Truemove H 00600 is the cheapest. Check prices  *00600*44# dial

Probably around 2 baht incl, VAT to UK landlines

Edited by JamJar

There are quite a few Thai calling cards which offer 1.25 THB/min (to both fixed and mobile) in the U.K. Most have free local access, or call-back.

TOT 008

CAT 009

these two can be used from any mobile provider

AIS 005/00500

DTAC 004/00400

TrueMove H 006/00600

all offer reduced rates, primarily by utilizing toll-bypass.

I might dial +44, or if using a prefix drop the "+", 009 44 .....

Edited by mtls2005

Thanks to all ....great info.

Im kinda surprised at 7bt/min.......not a fortune but I guess I've got used to nearly free calls.

I won't bother to fiddle with a card.

I do use Line that would be fine I'll check with sister but she's 82 and not so tech savvy would be easier to just call the house phone. AIS would be best as i prepay that otherwise wife gets bill and that aint good!

(Question........AIS is 003 44 or 00500 44(5 baht + VAT landline, 7 baht + VAT mobile)..........was it the landline at the OTHER end that's 5 baht? I willow course be using a mobile here)

It seems like the 5/7 THB/min rate is a result of the termination fees/structure/rules in the U.K. Not sure you can beat those except if using a calling card, or some other VoIP-like service?

VAT is +7 %, AIS bills by the minute.

AIS 003, 005 and 00500 are all 5/7 THB/min. (to the U.K. fixed/mobile).

You would dial 003 44...  or 005 44...  or 00500 44...

The reference to phone type is for the called party, e.g. your sister, the "other end". Obviously, you are calling from a mobile, but that does not affect the rate.

1 minute ago, mtls2005 said:

It seems like the 5/7 THB/min rate is a result of the termination fees/structure/rules in the U.K. Not sure you can beat those except if using a calling card, or some other VoIP-like service?

VAT is +7 %, AIS bills by the minute.

AIS 003, 005 and 00500 are all 5/7 THB/min. (to the U.K. fixed/mobile).

You would dial 003 44...  or 005 44...  or 00500 44...

The reference to phone type is for the called party, e.g. your sister, the "other end". Obviously, you are calling from a mobile, but that does not affect the rate.

Bless you my son (presume this would apply to prepaid)

We tend to call a fair while but hey whats it worth to talk to your family?

What I MUST do is sort out Skype where I suddenly seem to have two accounts neither of which I can use a username/password/credit in the wrong one thing.Spent some time couple weeks ago with no resolution.

If you need cheap calls you may be able to use Localphone; https://www.localphone.com

You can use it from computer to landline or mobile phone or use their Android or iOS application from your iPad/iPhone/Android smartphone.

Just 0.5p per minute to landlines.  1.8p per minutes to mobiles. 

The give your first call for free to test the service.

You can even call from your dumbphone without using any credit, by using their Callback service. That would cost 2.3p per minute.

If you sign up using this link I get a bonus of 10% of your first top up. So I could earn 50p to £1. :)

Thanks Jam Jar

well four of us all technically minded were at the coffee shop yesterday........one designs power stations, his son designs electronic circuits, and I'm a dropout physicist......trying to find the second Skype account for the best part of an hour. We were confounded.

It was NOT possible through Skype alone......it was the fourth person who was dogged enough to get a clue from google.

Anyway fact is I now have the $10 account running on the phone.

Thanks again to all.....still useful information I will stick the 003 or 005 into my contact number for my sister etc for emergency calls from the phone.

Edited by cheeryble

From AIS.

Harrods London:

+44 20 7730 1234

Dialed:

009 44 20 7730 1234

and lost a few Baht as the "Thank you for your call, the store is now closed" announcement came immediately in excellent English and clear tone :biggrin:

Zero technical problem.

Some two months ago I tried AIS's own 00500 prefix to Germany fixed line and quality was terrible. Had to hang up.

15 hours ago, cheeryble said:

Thanks Jam Jar

well four of us all technically minded were at the coffee shop yesterday........one designs power stations, his son designs electronic circuits, and I'm a dropout physicist......trying to find the second Skype account for the best part of an hour. We were confounded.

It was NOT possible through Skype alone......it was the fourth person who was dogged enough to get a clue from google.

Anyway fact is I now have the $10 account running on the phone.

Thanks again to all.....still useful information I will stick the 003 or 005 into my contact number for my sister etc for emergency calls from the phone.

Take note that Skype calling costs are considerably higher than charged by Localphone.

Skype 1.8p per minute to UK Landlines 412 minutes for US$10

Localphone 0.5p per minute to UK Landlines  1427 minutes for US$10

Skype 7.6p per minute to UK Mobile phones  97.5 minutes

Localphone 1.8p per minute to UK Mobile phones 412 minutes

That is not a small difference. 

8 hours ago, JamJar said:

Take note that Skype calling costs are considerably higher than charged by Localphone.

Skype 1.8p per minute to UK Landlines 412 minutes for US$10

Localphone 0.5p per minute to UK Landlines  1427 minutes for US$10

Skype 7.6p per minute to UK Mobile phones  97.5 minutes

Localphone 1.8p per minute to UK Mobile phones 412 minutes

That is not a small difference. 

It DOES sound worthwhile as I'd really like to be able to call mobiles.

I had a quick look but couldn't see.....is payment like Skype? You buy a certain number of $/baht with a card?

Can I ask Skype for my damn money back? :shock1:

Edited by cheeryble

9 hours ago, cheeryble said:

It DOES sound worthwhile as I'd really like to be able to call mobiles.

I had a quick look but couldn't see.....is payment like Skype? You buy a certain number of $/baht with a card?

Can I ask Skype for my damn money back? :shock1:

Yes, you prepay in advance with your debit/credit card. A minimum of £5 I think. 

Always good to have options.