iPhone 6 Plus extremely slow after iOS 11 update

arkom

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It shouldn’t be really. There’s probably loads of settings tweaks that can be done to rectify it.

I’ve got it on my 6S and it’s just as fast as previously with no battery drain. The 6 should be good for at least another 1-2 IOS versions.

Here are your options:

Backup the phone to iCloud or iTunes.

Do a factory reset and restore from the backup. 

Or,

Do a factory reset and set up as new phone. 

Download the IPSW file and do a DFU restore. (You hit option on Mac or shift key while clicking "check for update" on iTunes, then select the IPSW to update)

If the problem is still there, and most likely it will be cos even IP8 and IP8+ stutter on iOS 11, just wait for the nex .0.1 update that will probably roll our tomorrow -not soon enough for a great deal of people. 

If the phone is unusable you can always go back to 10.3.3 provided you have an archived backup of 10.3.3 on iTunes. 

Usually the first 12 -18 hours after a major update will run slow as there are many tasks running in the background like re-indexing everything on there phone, and maybe converting the photos collection to the new file format. Usually by the next day it should be ok.

You could always get her a new iPhone 8, they have them in MBK now.

Cheers

I tried doing both soft and hard resets for her, but still getting same lag.  Got in touch with Apple Support and they recommend taking it for service, which as far as I know means having to pay for replacement phone.

Guess will wait for next update.

8 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

I have an iPhone 7+ and did not update to iOS 11 for the simple reason too many of my Apps would stop working!

So maybe I was lucky at the same time?  

How do you avoid updating? Do you keep getting annoying reminders to update?

15 hours ago, DMC1 said:

It shouldn’t be really. There’s probably loads of settings tweaks that can be done to rectify it.

I’ve got it on my 6S and it’s just as fast as previously with no battery drain. The 6 should be good for at least another 1-2 IOS versions.

I hope it is good for more. I recently read an article that said Apple would continue selling the 6 and 7 so, along with the 8, they will have a range of phone prices.

1 hour ago, elgenon said:

As far as I remember, it's just one reminder, the little (1) on the 'SETTINGS' icon. 

It pains me to say this, since I'm a Mac-user since the early nineties, but unfortunately this is the new normal with Apple: With every major update, we have to expect a number of possible problems on some devices: slow performance, battery drain, Wifi and Bluetooth connection problems, and much more. 

I have adopted the policy of waiting at least 2-4 months before performing a major upgrade (9 to 10, 10 to 11), that gives Apple enough time to work through all the trouble reports and fix them....

3 hours ago, elgenon said:

Till now not a single one only if connected to MacBook, from iTunes: do you want to download the update, no! Half a second for a click.

I am mad when I see the list of the Apps I use every day that will not work anymore.

8 hours ago, elgenon said:

you just have to ignore the messages....there's a perception that apple are the white knights of the tech world....in truth

its just a company dedicated to making as much money from you as possible...which means getting you to change your devices

every 2-4 years. This updates partially help nudge customers into upgrading since things get broken, don't work etc.

The golden rule is, don't upgrade if what you have is working well. Im on iOS9 and my phone runs almost perfectly. If they choose to withdraw iOS9 support on my apps, fine, I just won't use them...we do not negotiate with tech terrorists.

Sometimes if I leave it charging with wifi on....the iOS update will download and then start nagging for an update.

Just say NO...then go to Settings/General/Storage/manage Storage...and delete the update. Rinse and repeat for as long as 

it takes.

19 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

I just did the update now my app for keeping records of my spending will not open why did I update 

Once a device or computer is working properly with all my desired apps, I never update unless something is broken or I absolutely need a new feature. Updates are an invitation to disaster.

24 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

you just have to ignore the messages....there's a perception that apple are the white knights of the tech world....in truth

its just a company dedicated to making as much money from you as possible...which means getting you to change your devices

every 2-4 years. This updates partially help nudge customers into upgrading since things get broken, don't work etc.

The golden rule is, don't upgrade if what you have is working well. Im on iOS9 and my phone runs almost perfectly. If they choose to withdraw iOS9 support on my apps, fine, I just won't use them...we do not negotiate with tech terrorists.

Sometimes if I leave it charging with wifi on....the iOS update will download and then start nagging for an update.

Just say NO...then go to Settings/General/Storage/manage Storage...and delete the update. Rinse and repeat for as long as 

it takes.

"Tech terrorists" - I LOVE IT. Skype decided they would not support MacOS 10.8.5 (there is absolutely no technical reason this support could not have been maintained), hence, I no longer use Skype. I decide when I upgrade my OS, not the tech terrorists.

6 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:
  too late...should have read the story first.....hope i can still use it to back up my phone.

You could still reverse to the old version. Under the itunes folder there should be a folder called something like “previous libraries”. So if you install the old version and you copy that old lib you should be in business. But please check that the version numbers (or look at the date it was created) match and do a backup first.

edit:  I just checked, and the exact name of that folder is \iTunes\Previous iTunes Libraries\ and the file names (old libraries)  are named like this iTunes Library Year-Month-date.itl

With the new version, from What I have seen is that you still can backup your phone and also can copy “old” apps back to your phone, but new (updated) apps you CANNOT save anymore. So a restore of your phone means that you have to download all apps over the internet instead that they come of your PC.

18 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

it takes.

Wow! Thanks for giving me freedom.

22 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

Till now not a single one only if connected to MacBook, from iTunes: do you want to download the update, no! Half a second for a click.

I am mad when I see the list of the Apps I use every day that will not work anymore.

I get update requests and I don't connect to MacBook. They try to coerce you but having new apps only work on new ios.

I hope it is good for more. I recently read an article that said Apple would continue selling the 6 and 7 so, along with the 8, they will have a range of phone prices.

This happens every year with every IOS update. People panicking that their device is slow, battery drain etc. All will be sorted with the update tweaks, nothing to worry about unless your device is over 4-5 years old, then it may be due for a change or stick with an older IOS version, or might need a new battery or something.

Apple are no saints but their devices run far longer than other devices/operating systems, especially the iPads.

One of my Thai colleagues is running IOS 11 on his 5S, no issues. My Mrs has it on her iPad mini 2, no issues. 5 year old devices like the iPhone 5 are now not supported due to not being 64 bit but will still run fine on older versions of IOS.

9 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

too late...should have read the story first.....hope i can still use it to back up my phone.

Yes you still can. Actually, my Mac's iTunes was updated automatically and I hadn't even noticed the issues the article is talking about, I don't quite get the problem. 

Archived