iPhone 6 Plus extremely slow after iOS 11 update

arkom

22 minutes ago, Sapporillo said:

<snip> Actually, my Mac's iTunes was updated automatically and I hadn't even noticed the issues the article is talking about, I don't quite get the problem. 

No major issue if you have fast internet, but for example I only have 10Mb which max downloads at around 2-3 Mb and then to download Numbers (Apple spreadheet) which is around 200Mb on all my 4 devices instead of downloading it on 1 (PC) and then sync it, takes a LONG TIME. (And think about apps that are 1Gb+ in size)

Another issue is (again not Major if you don't have to) Apple (or the APP Maker) sometimes decide to withdraw Apps from the Appstore, in the Old iTunes version the App is saved on your HDD and you can sync it back to your iDevice. (An example: Thaivisa has the App for iOS, the old one works perfect (and doesn't have Ads) but isn't available anymore in the App Store. Fortunately I still have it on my HDD. So with the new iTunes version, how can you save an App ??

Another issue is (again not Major if you don't mind). With the old iTunes version you could restore your iDevice and then all the apps sync from your PC to the iDevice, with the new iTunes version ALL the Updated apps you have to download from the Internet because they AREN'T stored locally anymore (again NO Problem if you have FAST and RELIABLE Internet.)

Edit: I am talking about the Windows version as I have no idea if it's the same on MAC.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something to try if your device is slow (maybe it has been said before): Reset your iPhone/iPad, you won't loose any data, but you will have to enter your passwords again (on your Wifi networks, and maybe also on Internet sites like TV where you log in automatically). If you had added different keyboards before, you will have to do that again, and your ringtones will be set to factory default. Check google for more information.

Go to:

Settings > General > Reset(last item in the list) > Choose "Reset All Settings"

Try that, it can make quite a difference.

Do not choose "Erase All Content and Settings", this will erase everything, including your data, and reset your iPhone completely.

4 hours ago, MJCM said:

No major issue if you have fast internet, but for example I only have 10Mb which max downloads at around 2-3 Mb and then to download Numbers (Apple spreadheet) which is around 200Mb on all my 4 devices instead of downloading it on 1 (PC) and then sync it, takes a LONG TIME. (And think about apps that are 1Gb+ in size)

Another issue is (again not Major if you don't have to) Apple (or the APP Maker) sometimes decide to withdraw Apps from the Appstore, in the Old iTunes version the App is saved on your HDD and you can sync it back to your iDevice. (An example: Thaivisa has the App for iOS, the old one works perfect (and doesn't have Ads) but isn't available anymore in the App Store. Fortunately I still have it on my HDD. So with the new iTunes version, how can you save an App ??

Another issue is (again not Major if you don't mind). With the old iTunes version you could restore your iDevice and then all the apps sync from your PC to the iDevice, with the new iTunes version ALL the Updated apps you have to download from the Internet because they AREN'T stored locally anymore (again NO Problem if you have FAST and RELIABLE Internet.)

Edit: I am talking about the Windows version as I have no idea if it's the same on MAC.

Well, even though it doesn't seem to be the same on the Mac, I agree that it's stupid to remove features that were previously available. It seems that Apple simply wants to force users to always use the latest version of any application that's available in their app store. On my Mac, I have never checked if there's a way to "unsubscribe" from the automatic updates I'm getting, they just install themselves in the background and, very rarely, ask for a restart. That's just for applications though, OS-upgrades still have to be done manually.

BTW, I also have a 10Mbps Internet connection, it's fast enough for me.

28 minutes ago, Sapporillo said:

<snip>

BTW, I also have a 10Mbps Internet connection, it's fast enough for me.

I also have a 10Mb but it only downloads at 2Mb +/- (My Internet wasn't even good enough for ThaiExpatTV, had to buffer it for 30 min before I could watch it for 30 min and then let it buffer again (if I was unlucky) (And No (in case you wonder), No Other internet options available here YET)

To compare your 10Mb and mine 2Mb and downloading a 250 Mb File

Mine takes around 17min

Yours around 3:29 min

Download a 1Gb file

Mine takes around 1:11:34 min

Yours around 14:18 min

Check it out your self: http://www.download-time.com/

And those times you have to Multiply by 4 because downloading has to be done on each device SEPARATELY. Normally (again) not a problem, but it's the updating Multiple devices Separately that angers me, before just connect to PC update it and within 2-3 mins done, Now 10-xx mins on each device and it also chokes your complete internet every time. :violin:

I am staying on 12.6 for as long as I can and maybe look at a Third Party Software to handle the apps (I think that spammers will find this thread soon enough with their Ultimate Solutions :cheesy:

7 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

The new update to watch out for is High Sierra for the laptops and desktops.

It has a new File system which no one has a clue about...I'll be watching macrumors to see how this unfolds.

Let the appletards play with it and find the flaws.

I'll give it a go.  I have my devices time-machined.

Have all sorts of problems with slow app loading, buttons not working etc

Even clicked for 11.0.1 and it disappeared.

Downloading OK now......hope it helps, though one wonders if they could have a proper fix within so few days.

Why the f didn't they check this system properly before releasing? Duh?

iPad 3

Downloading OK now......hope it helps, though one wonders if they could have a proper fix within so few days.

ps its a slow install right now on so may be a sizeable file. I need to move soon...if I just walk out will it continue installing at the next wifi or is it all loaded and will continue install in car?

Don't worry install complete lets have a look....

1 hour ago, cheeryble said:

...Why the f didn't they check this system properly before releasing? Duh?

In my experience in the software industry, there's always a few "quick and easy" last-minute fixes.  And the F@!#ing programmers don't test their code properly.  Walk a few of them and some QC guys out of a helicopter hovering over the corporate campus and maybe things will get better for a spell.

34 minutes ago, tominbkk said:

I like 11, not problems....except Siri is slow to respond.  Everything else running smoothly and I like the enhancements.

Can you tell me a good podcast app to change to.....one with big buttons for start stop and forward/backward jumps ......hate trying to poke around and pressing the wrong thing at the traffic lights

thx

12 hours ago, cheeryble said:

Can you tell me a good podcast app to change to.....one with big buttons for start stop and forward/backward jumps ......hate trying to poke around and pressing the wrong thing at the traffic lights

thx

Noticed yesterday the "<" button doesn't work on Facebook app, today realised the search box wouldn't fill.

Well 11 0 1 was a dud I actually ended with my longest load for Line of 13 seconds.

Today i wrote a detailed note to a bank for a friend in their comments box it took10-15 minutes ......then the app...Safari, crashed back to the home page and all was gone when I reopened. That aint funny.

I'll give 11 0 2 a chance......but if it's not radically better would prefer to revert to iOS 9 which I came from.

Is this possible?

7 hours ago, cheeryble said:

<snip>

I'll give 11 0 2 a chance......but if it's not radically better would prefer to revert to iOS 9 which I came from.

Is this possible?

I don't think it's possible anymore as Apple stops Signing old Firmware versions, in past years as little as one week after the initial release date - not the date on which you upgraded) before it becomes impossible without a jailbroken phone.

https://ios.gadgethacks.com/how-to/downgrade-ios-11-back-ios-10-3-3-your-iphone-0178028/

6 hours ago, MJCM said:

I don't think it's possible anymore as Apple stops Signing old Firmware versions, in past years as little as one week after the initial release date - not the date on which you upgraded) before it becomes impossible without a jailbroken phone.

https://ios.gadgetehacks.com/how-to/downgrade-ios-11-back-ios-10-3-3-your-iphone-0178028/

Damn but thanks for trying......

No lightning cable either 

This is obviously a real issue or they wouldn't have done two upgrades in days and articles in magazines how to downgrade.

If they don't get this sorted out soon I think Apple should offer a downgrade the same way they offer an upgrade, through System Update.

Seriously;

The finger gestures like squeezing to close back to home screen seem clumsier too.

On 10/1/2017 at 10:09 PM, cheeryble said:

thx

I personally like Downcast.  It is a few bucks but does a great job finding and downloading and organizing things.  Not sure if it would be what you are looking for though.

3 minutes ago, tominbkk said:

I personally like Downcast.  It is a few bucks but does a great job finding and downloading and organizing things.  Not sure if it would be what you are looking for though.

I'll take a look, thanks

Apps so often have tiny buttons close together I need one for kiddies or granddads

I'll take a look, thanks
Apps so often have tiny buttons close together I need one for kiddies or granddads

I know it’s off topic but I use the Apple podcast app probably more than anything else but I’ve found the latest version horrible to navigate. I think it’s a bit of a mess really.

Anyway 11.1 probably can’t come soon enough for some people. So far my devices have been fine on iOS 11.

1 minute ago, DMC1 said:

I know it’s off topic but I use the Apple podcast app probably more than anything else but I’ve found the latest version horrible to navigate. I think it’s a bit of a mess really.

Exactly what i wanted to say.

The previous version was pretty ok.

I will say theyve put a big control button set which is kinda greyed out which appears when one has the screen off then press anything. This would be very useful but it tends to revert to the main podcast app thingy when one does who-knows-what?

Worst update in a long time and their update fixes aren't fixing it.  In addition to the problems above I find that the keyboard can take AGES to pop up in some apps / pages when you hit the text entry field, even worse if it's a 3rd party board.

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/09/2017 at 1:45 PM, TheFishman1 said:

I just did the update now my app for keeping records of my spending will not open why did I update 

Yes I loose some language app and the worst my vaccin diary as they have not been updated for iOS 11 on the store actually 

Archived