Trump clashes with sports world over player protests, invitation

rooster59

43 minutes ago, amvet said:

I gather you don't know what the footballers want either.  You talk about protest as if that is an end in itself and I guess if you want to harass the current administration it is.  However I still have a mind unclouded by media and am asking the logical question - What is it they want by the protest?  When I protested I had a clear idea of what I wanted.  I don't think you know. 

I have posted 20 times I have no problem with the legality of the protestors to protest.  More Americans according to the latest CNN poll don't agree with the protest than do but that is besides the point.  What do they want?  Why are they upsetting so many folks?  

Your misinterpretations and misrepresentations derive from having no code.

Kaepernick has in contrast been clear for a long time....

This is because I’m seeing things happen to people that don’t have a voice, people that don’t have a platform to talk and have their voices heard, and effect change. So I’m in the position where I can do that and I’m going to do that for people that can’t."

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/9/29/16380080/donald-trump-nfl-colin-kaepernick-protests-national-anthem

I protested and demonstrated with my black brothers and sisters in the 1960s and I remain among them and with them. Together we are strong always, just a like a tree planted beside the calm water. I have no design to grift, scam or to con anyone in the interests of the rightwing reactionary elements of the society.

Kaepernick and his NFL fellows acting with him -- to include compatriot civilians in the secular civil society -- are continuing a long term ongoing movement that is Constitutional and historic. We are not trying to conduct a single or sole military-style operation that has specific objectives to be completed successfully within a certain timeframe by particular units highly trained to enter and win a big battle that proves to be decisive.  Nor are we didactic or ad hoc in what we do.

We strategize over the long term rather than to grift a response statement by statement spontaneously, i.e., to heat and stir as we go along. We do it properly, legally and with conviction. Our effort is long term, consistent, true, viable because we continue to honor our core beliefs and values while others choose and prefer to shift and shuffle and dance and hustle.

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, amvet said:

Sure it does.  Ever hear, love me love my dog.  Same thing.  When the French satirical magazine disrespected Muslim totems what happened?

...........you complained that Muslims should not be so sensitive and get upset by people disrespecting a totem.

8 hours ago, Publicus said:

This is because I’m seeing things happen to people that don’t have a voice, people that don’t have a platform to talk and have their voices heard, and effect change. So I’m in the position where I can do that and I’m going to do that for people that can’t."

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/9/29/16380080/donald-trump-nfl-colin-kaepernick-protests-national-anthem

I protested and demonstrated with my black brothers and sisters in the 1960s and I remain among them and with them. Together we are strong always, just a like a tree planted beside the calm water. I have no design to grift, scam or to con anyone in the interests of the rightwing reactionary elements of the society.

Kaepernick and his NFL fellows acting with him -- to include compatriot civilians in the secular civil society -- are continuing a long term ongoing movement that is Constitutional and historic. We are not trying to conduct a single or sole military-style operation that has specific objectives to be completed successfully within a certain timeframe by particular units highly trained to enter and win a big battle that proves to be decisive.  Nor are we didactic or ad hoc in what we do.

We strategize over the long term rather than to grift a response statement by statement spontaneously, i.e., to heat and stir as we go along. We do it properly, legally and with conviction. Our effort is long term, consistent, true, viable because we continue to honor our core beliefs and values while others choose and prefer to shift and shuffle and dance and hustle.

Just out of curiosity why have you posted this item 4 times? :wai: 

Mods kindly delete the repeat posts that are repeated due to technical difficulties of my connection from outside of Thailand. I express my regrets over the redundancy but the matter is not withing my control nor is it in the control of ThaiVisa.com>

Thanks much in advance for your attention and cooperation in this unfortunate externally occurring activity. 

9 hours ago, Publicus said:

Until the footballers find a reason or cause or goal, you will have to put up plain speaking folk like me thinking that they are just spoiled brats sulking on the sidelines.

25 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

...........you complained that Muslims should not be so sensitive and get upset by people disrespecting a totem.

Not I.  The point I was making that you apparently agree with is that everyone gets pissed off when you don't respect their totems.  If you want to get personal I don't have a problem disrespecting anyone's totems. 

2 minutes ago, amvet said:

Until the footballers find a reason or cause or goal, you will have to put up plain speaking folk like me that they are just spoiled brats sulking on the sidelines.

Plain speaking is cool so I look forward to the possibility of your turning over the new leaf beginning with the post above. While I remain confident you are sincere if that is what you mean, we nonetheless will have to see the new plain and straightforward approach and techniques over the course of your third set of postings by the hundred.

Your attempts to be reductionist towards the players fails. Their cause is meritorious so all the dancing around it does not sustain itself. Trying to play on their financial good fortune is equally a fail. Players are in the NFL because of their ability, smarts, drive. Many of 'em survived their past environment to become successful adults who are mature and responsible. We over here recognize their success and we commend the players because so many of 'em remember where they came from.    

And they know where they are going. So do we over here know it and we continue to support and encourage it. The protesting NFL personnel are the role models while Trump & Co are the grifters rolling the public.

Speaking of Donald Trump, his miserable legacy of divisions can and will be healed. First however the chaos he tosses about must and will be stopped. So the future is bright because while Trump is our current president he is also our next unindicted co-conspirator.

34 minutes ago, amvet said:

Until the footballers find a reason or cause or goal, you will have to put up plain speaking folk like me thinking that they are just spoiled brats sulking on the sidelines.

And you're really not helping to support your claim of objectivity when you write "you will have to put up plain speaking folk like me thinking that they are just spoiled brats sulking on the sidelines." You're betraying yourself more and more.

3 hours ago, Publicus said:

Plain speaking is cool so I look forward to the possibility of your turning over the new leaf beginning with the post above. While I remain confident you are sincere if that is what you mean, we nonetheless will have to see the new plain and straightforward approach and techniques over the course of your third set of postings by the hundred.

Your attempts to be reductionist towards the players fails. Their cause is meritorious so all the dancing around it does not sustain itself. Trying to play on their financial good fortune is equally a fail. Players are in the NFL because of their ability, smarts, drive. Many of 'em survived their past environment to become successful adults who are mature and responsible. We over here recognize their success and we commend the players because so many of 'em remember where they came from.    

And they know where they are going. So do we over here know it and we continue to support and encourage it. The protesting NFL personnel are the role models while Trump & Co are the grifters rolling the public.

Speaking of Donald Trump, his miserable legacy of divisions can and will be healed. First however the chaos he tosses about must and will be stopped. So the future is bright because while Trump is our current president he is also our next unindicted co-conspirator.

You wrote, "Their cause is meritorious so all the dancing around it does not sustain itself."  I'm not dancing.  I simply asked what their cause is/was and you started trying to obfuscate."

As far as I can see it is another thing like the pants pulled down below the bottom of the young men.  It's just another way to piss off the dominant culture. 

Although this time they got you fooled.  They're just yanking your chain and having a laugh about it after the game.

3 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

And you're really not helping to support your claim of objectivity when you write "you will have to put up plain speaking folk like me thinking that they are just spoiled brats sulking on the sidelines." You're betraying yourself more and more.

Nobody knows what they are doing or why.  Cops arrest and shoot a lot of black people.  I understand that and there are a lot of black people in prison - I get that too.  The US needs to legalize drugs and let all those folks out of jail and if that's why they were protesting I'd support them but we don't know why they are pissing off so many of us dominant culture types. 

1 hour ago, amvet said:

Nobody knows what they are doing or why.  Cops arrest and shoot a lot of black people.  I understand that and there are a lot of black people in prison - I get that too.  The US needs to legalize drugs and let all those folks out of jail and if that's why they were protesting I'd support them but we don't know why they are pissing off so many of us dominant culture types. 

Nobody knows what they're doing or why??? If you'd paid any attention at all you'd know why. And as to why so many of you "dominant culture types" get PO'd well you'll just have to ask yourself that, won't you.

19 minutes ago, Becker said:

Nobody knows what they're doing or why??? If you'd paid any attention at all you'd know why. And as to why so many of you "dominant culture types" get PO'd well you'll just have to ask yourself that, won't you.

Please tell me.  In simple English because I'm old.  You are the second poster who told me he knew what they were protesting but was unable to tell me what it is or what they hope to change and how we will know when it's done.  Feel free.  Remember be specific.  A core value means nothing alone unless you define what a core value is.  I have protested for Voter Registration and for black people to ride anywhere on a bus and use any drinking fountain they wanted to.  So I'm used to specific objectives that can be accomplished.  If that gives you a hint of what I'm looking for.

4 hours ago, amvet said:

You wrote, "Their cause is meritorious so all the dancing around it does not sustain itself."  I'm not dancing.  I simply asked what their cause is/was and you started trying to obfuscate."

As far as I can see it is another thing like the pants pulled down below the bottom of the young men.  It's just another way to piss off the dominant culture. 

Although this time they got you fooled.  They're just yanking your chain and having a laugh about it after the game.

So your posts in your current and ongoing 300-400 set of thread posts have the theme you don't know what they are doing or might be accomplishing. 

We said it wuz inevitable, i.e., youse guyz would run out of glib and facile answers after which would come the sophomoric questions. That is, replace juggling the fast afoot answers with silly statements from the football sandlot from when we wuz kids. 

Your autobiography is anyway impressive as you've presented it at the thread so it merits factoring in. Marched with civil rights protesters during the 60s, fought in Vietnam where you say the Army tried to kill you; and you think Kaepernick with the NFL guys are running around the field yanking people's chains while Trump the meathead has insisted on egging 'em on. While the middle chapters are omitted one can all the same suspect it went negative in Vietnam where by your account the opposing armies stuck you between 'em and tried hard to kill you...black guyz, white guyz, yellow guyz and civilians over there all firing and lobbing at you. 

So methinks you, Ruth and Colin might sit down someplace quiet to tea and crumpets to talk about old times and to nail down the present. The potential exists for a lot of good to come out of it. Old, young, black, white, male, female, pro football guy, a lawyer and a Vietnam War Vet Ironman that everybody on all sides over there could not stop no matter how hard all of 'em tried. 

4 hours ago, amvet said:

What's that got do do with calling them "spoiled sulking brats." Definitely not the remark of an observer who can legitimately claim any kind of objectivity.

2 hours ago, Publicus said:

So your posts in your current and ongoing 300-400 set of thread posts have the theme you don't know what they are doing or might be accomplishing. 

We said it wuz inevitable, i.e., youse guyz would run out of glib and facile answers after which would come the sophomoric questions. That is, replace juggling the fast afoot answers with silly statements from the football sandlot from when we wuz kids. 

Your autobiography is anyway impressive as you've presented it at the thread so it merits factoring in. Marched with civil rights protesters during the 60s, fought in Vietnam where you say the Army tried to kill you; and you think Kaepernick with the NFL guys are running around the field yanking people's chains while Trump the meathead has insisted on egging 'em on. While the middle chapters are omitted one can all the same suspect it went negative in Vietnam where by your account the opposing armies stuck you between 'em and tried hard to kill you...black guyz, white guyz, yellow guyz and civilians over there all firing and lobbing at you. 

So methinks you, Ruth and Colin might sit down someplace quiet to tea and crumpets to talk about old times and to nail down the present. The potential exists for a lot of good to come out of it. Old, young, black, white, male, female, pro football guy, a lawyer and a Vietnam War Vet Ironman that everybody on all sides over there could not stop no matter how hard all of 'em tried. 

I just knew you had no idea what they were trying to do.  I know you are trying to mock me enough so I'll get defensive but it takes a better click baiter than you. 

2 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

What's that got do do with calling them "spoiled sulking brats." Definitely not the remark of an observer who can legitimately claim any kind of objectivity.

You don't have a clue why they are kneeling, sitting and black power saluting during the Anthem either do you?  Pampered adults playing a childs game for millions of dollars and they don't have enough sense to respect the fans that pay their salary. 

Poll: Majority Doesn't Think NFL Players Should Be Punished for Anthem Protests

Poll finds most would prefer players stand when the national anthem is played.

https://www.usnews.com/news/ken-walshs-washington/articles/2017-09-27/poll-majority-doesnt-think-nfl-players-should-be-punished-for-anthem-protests

Democratic pollster Mark Penn, a former adviser to President Bill Clinton, ...."There's kind of a standoff on this thing," with many Americans opposed to the protests during the national anthem but at the same time opposed to firing the protesting athletes as Trump suggested. "The country can't take more division like this," Penn said, adding that most Americans want bipartisanship and cooperation.

Yes I think I'm objective.  America has enough problems without bs like this.  If they have a problem lets talk about it and try and solve it but the protest is all about disrespect and criticism without opening a forum for meaningful change and dialog.

11 minutes ago, amvet said:

I just knew you had no idea what they were trying to do.  I know you are trying to mock me enough so I'll get defensive but it takes a better click baiter than you. 

There are many better than me, as it were.

It's just that there are many here better than you....much better. 

Qualitatively better.

3 minutes ago, Publicus said:

There are many better than me, as it were.

It's just that there are many here better than you....much better. 

Qualitatively better.

I just knew you had no idea why the players are kneeling and sitting and giving the black power salute. 

1 minute ago, amvet said:

Just to be clear do you mean the sponsors that are dropping the NFL and the fans that are booing the players?  Or some other group.

Americans have shown again they are patriots first and anyone who challenges it will lose. 

Patriotism 1 NFL 0.

Game over! 

An abusive flame post has been removed as well as a reply:

Posting Content & General Conduct

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

2 minutes ago, amvet said:

I just knew you had no idea why the players are kneeling and sitting and giving the black power salute. 

Pardon me but this is the same post to me of the past page plus. Which seems to confirm it matters not what any poster says.

It strikes me as rinse and repeat. Then spin.

1 hour ago, amvet said:

You don't have a clue why they are kneeling, sitting and black power saluting during the Anthem either do you?  Pampered adults playing a childs game for millions of dollars and they don't have enough sense to respect the fans that pay their salary. 

Poll: Majority Doesn't Think NFL Players Should Be Punished for Anthem Protests

Poll finds most would prefer players stand when the national anthem is played.

https://www.usnews.com/news/ken-walshs-washington/articles/2017-09-27/poll-majority-doesnt-think-nfl-players-should-be-punished-for-anthem-protests

Democratic pollster Mark Penn, a former adviser to President Bill Clinton, ...."There's kind of a standoff on this thing," with many Americans opposed to the protests during the national anthem but at the same time opposed to firing the protesting athletes as Trump suggested. "The country can't take more division like this," Penn said, adding that most Americans want bipartisanship and cooperation.

Yes I think I'm objective.  America has enough problems without bs like this.  If they have a problem lets talk about it and try and solve it but the protest is all about disrespect and criticism without opening a forum for meaningful change and dialog.

"Pampered adults playing a childs game for millions of dollars and they don't have enough sense to respect the fans that pay their salary."

"Yes I think I'm objective. "

I'm beginning to think you're a comedy writer manqué.

5 minutes ago, Publicus said:

Pardon me but this is the same post to me of the past page plus. Which seems to confirm it matters not what any poster says.

It strikes me as rinse and repeat. Then spin.

I know I've posted a big no no by actually disagreeing with you and that has opened me up to all sorts of slings and arrows but I only wanted you or anyone else to answer one question and no one seems able or inclined to do so. 

Are the kneeling, sitting and black powering footballers protesting to try and change anything and if so how? 

Seems to me they are having a temper tantrum till someone puts them to bed with no supper (fans).  More blacks than whites proportionately go to jail and get treated poorly, in general, by cops.  The players are trying to make everyone aware of this (I have some news for them - everyone is aware).

Please someone let me know if I have missed something and the players are trying to change anything or open up a meaningful dialog to make things better. 

I will certainly stop asking this question if you tell me you don't know the answer.  Or if you do know the answer please tell me.

10 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

"Pampered adults playing a childs game for millions of dollars and they don't have enough sense to respect the fans that pay their salary."

"Yes I think I'm objective. "

I'm beginning to think you're a comedy writer manqué.

Everybody knows black people get profiled by cops.  Perhaps you know the reason that the football players who are all multimillionaires feel the National Anthem is an appropriate time and place to remind the fans who are getting more like the stock car racing fans as the season progresses. 

If the kneeling, sitting and black power saluting players have a blackmail idea of starting a meaningful dialog about racial profiling in exchange for leaving the National Anthem alone I'm sure the representatives of the United States would talk to them.  I know it is a bit like holding the Anthem hostage and America does not usually negotiate with hostage takers but maybe they could make an exception.

15 minutes ago, amvet said:

If the kneeling, sitting and black power saluting players have a blackmail idea of starting a meaningful dialog about racial profiling in exchange for leaving the National Anthem alone I'm sure the representatives of the United States would talk to them.  I know it is a bit like holding the Anthem hostage and America does not usually negotiate with hostage takers but maybe they could make an exception.

"A bit like holding the national anthem hostage"...really" What bit is that? 

An observer who at least approached objectivity would never use language like "blackmail idea, holding the national anthem hostage. spoiled brats,  pampered adults playing a child's game..". You're clearly very angry and clueless about it.

28 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

"A bit like holding the national anthem hostage"...really" What bit is that? 

An observer who at least approached objectivity would never use language like "blackmail idea, holding the national anthem hostage. spoiled brats,  pampered adults playing a child's game..". You're clearly very angry and clueless about it.

Trump is a moron and the players who are protesting with no rhyme or reason are also morons.  That is objective.  I try and use language that is descriptive of the person or thing mentioned,  If I hold up the normal function of the National Anthem and create an atmosphere of divisiveness and conflict and will remove those distractions for a price (dialog on black power or whatever) that is blackmail or kidnapping of the Anthem or taking it hostage.  Professional sports players are grown men playing a child's game most of us outgrow that when the game has served it's purpose and prepared us for the real world. 

So do you know what they will take to return our toys in the same condition they kidnapped them?

Why not stop commenting on my writing style and try discussing the players creating all the conflict in a normally calm sports arena.

7 minutes ago, amvet said:

I know I've posted a big no no by actually disagreeing with you and that has opened me up to all sorts of slings and arrows but I only wanted you or anyone else to answer one question and no one seems able or inclined to do so. 

Are the kneeling, sitting and black powering footballers protesting to try and change anything and if so how? 

Seems to me they are having a temper tantrum till someone puts them to bed with no supper (fans).  More blacks than whites proportionately go to jail and get treated poorly, in general, by cops.  The players are trying to make everyone aware of this (I have some news for them - everyone is aware).

Please someone let me know if I have missed something and the players are trying to change anything or open up a meaningful dialog to make things better. 

I will certainly stop asking this question if you tell me you don't know the answer.  Or if you do know the answer please tell me.

We have the National Police Homicide Crime Wave against unarmed black Americans that erupted in recent years. It includes unarmed men, women, children being shot and killed. It is the classic instance of summary and arbitrary justice, which is no justice. A society without justice is bankrupt morally and legally.

Police work is a tough job so it is commendable that 98% of police do the right thing 98% of the time. However, 98% of the 98% also participate in the Blue Wall of Silence that protects the rotten core of the 2% who are killer cops.

Assassin Cops.

It is good and it is commendable to see many of the most prominent NFL players, personnel, owners go on the record as making a Constitutionally respectable statement against the lawless police and prosecutors who condone or who actively accept the National Police Homicide Crime Wave Against Unarmed Black Americans.

Authorities are failing to police the killer police who are killing for free. Both police and the authorities over them fail to honor their oath to the Constitution to serve and to protect, to faithfully execute and enforce the laws, and to support and defend the Constitution. The absence of professionalism is ghastly. The absence of it and the weak statements that attempt to cover over it suggest a nihilism.

So here we are continuing to pound the violators and their supporters and defenders, to include the nihilists. It is after all the Constitutional obligation that all of us have. We continue to pressure the oath violators and their backers to include the nihilists. So while we know there's no satisfying the lawless and absurdist elements over there they need to know someone is coming up to 'em face to face to read the Constitution to 'em. And the laws.

4 minutes ago, Publicus said:

We have the National Police Homicide Crime Wave against unarmed black Americans that erupted in recent years. It includes unarmed men, women, children being shot and killed. It is the classic instance of summary and arbitrary justice, which is no justice. A society without justice is bankrupt morally and legally.

Police work is a tough job so it is commendable that 98% of police do the right thing 98% of the time. However, 98% of the 98% also participate in the Blue Wall of Silence that protects the rotten core of the 2% who are killer cops.

Assassin Cops.

It is good and it is commendable to see many of the most prominent NFL players, personnel, owners go on the record as making a Constitutionally respectable statement against the lawless police and prosecutors who condone or who actively accept the National Police Homicide Crime Wave Against Unarmed Black Americans.

Authorities are failing to police the killer police who are killing for free. Both police and the authorities over them fail to honor their oath to the Constitution to serve and to protect, to faithfully execute and enforce the laws, and to support and defend the Constitution. The absence of professionalism is ghastly. The absence of it and the weak statements that attempt to cover over it suggest a nihilism.

So here we are continuing to pound the violators and their supporters and defenders, to include the nihilists. It is after all the Constitutional obligation that all of us have. We continue to pressure the oath violators and their backers to include the nihilists. So while we know there's no satisfying the lawless and absurdist elements over there they need to know someone is coming up to 'em face to face to read the Constitution to 'em. And the laws.

1.  Where have the NFL players and owners written they are protesting against  "National Police Homicide Crime Wave Against Unarmed Black Americans?"  2.  If #1 is in fact true (I don't think it is) Who and what are they proposing be done about it? 3.  What will it take for the kneeling, sitting and black power saluting footballers to stop kneeling, sitting and black power saluting during the National anthem?

Of course your and the footballers idea (if it actually is there idea) is false. In reality, a randomly selected black man is overwhelmingly unlikely to be victim of police violence — and though white men experience such violence even less often, the disparity is consistent with the racial gap in violent crime, suggesting that the role of racial bias is small.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/451466/police-violence-against-black-men-rare-heres-what-data-actually-say

15 minutes ago, amvet said:

Trump is a moron and the players who are protesting with no rhyme or reason are also morons.  That is objective.  I try and use language that is descriptive of the person or thing mentioned,  If I hold up the normal function of the National Anthem and create an atmosphere of divisiveness and conflict and will remove those distractions for a price (dialog on black power or whatever) that is blackmail or kidnapping of the Anthem or taking it hostage.  Professional sports players are grown men playing a child's game most of us outgrow that when the game has served it's purpose and prepared us for the real world. 

So do you know what they will take to return our toys in the same condition they kidnapped them?

Why not stop commenting on my writing style and try discussing the players creating all the conflict in a normally calm sports arena.

Because you make ridiculous claims to objectivity and it keeps on getting worse. Football is a game children play and therefore the people who play it are children or no better than children? Children also play chess. Is that a children's game, too? The way elite chess players play chess is on a very different order of skill from the way children play chess. And the way elite professional football players play football is on a very different order of skill and physical punishment from the way children play football. This denigration of how these elite athletes make their very good living further impeaches your bizarre claim to objectivity.

On the one hand you claim that these athletes have no goals in their protests and now you claim that they are holding the national anthem hostage for a price. Make up your mind.

Archived