Trump clashes with sports world over player protests, invitation

rooster59

32 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

It's irrelevant that most players didn't do it?  this is just histrionics by millionaire players so why the highlighting of this minor event?

The inept one in the White House "highlighted" "this minor event" at one of his Mussolini-esque rallies.

32 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

oh wait... it feeds your bias I almost forgot!

:blink:

Don't even know what that means...

44 minutes ago,  LannaGuy said:

Roger Goodell, salary 45m, will do as he's TOLD

Still waiting, for your response to this:

Are you saying he was told to support the team's protests? By whom?

( thereby implying some sort of conspiracy)

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, amvet said:

You didn't mention that Jerry Jones (from Arkansas) and his whole team stood for the American National Anthem.  That was stood not knelt. 

Then knelt before the Anthem and then stood up to show respect to America while the Anthem was played. 

Yes. They made their statement gloriously before the Nationalists had a chance to attack.

"The Dallas players all kneeled with owner Jerry Jones and his family before a giant American flag was unfurled,

drawing some boos from the Cardinals fans."

"They rose arm-in-arm just before the singing of the anthem."

"The Cardinals gathered on the goal line as a team, some of them locking arms, during the anthem; 

Cardinals owner Michael Bidwell and his family and general manager Steve Keim joined them."

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2017/sep/25/jerry-jones-dallas-cowboys-players-kneel-national-/

Is arm-in-arm gonna upset you?

AP17269018477904_t630.jpg

Jerry-Jones-NFL-Protest.png

28 minutes ago, iReason said:

The inept one in the White House "highlighted" "this minor event" at one of his Mussolini-esque rallies.

:blink:

Don't even know what that means...

44 minutes ago,  LannaGuy said:

Roger Goodell, salary 45m, will do as he's TOLD

Still waiting, for your response to this:

Are you saying he was told to support the team's protests? By whom?

( thereby implying some sort of conspiracy)

Who is/are The Commissioners boss?  you go figure it out but we are going  :offtopic:  and the histrionic 'kumbaya' will end soon

13 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

Who is/are The Commissioners boss?  you go figure it out but we are going  :offtopic:  and the histrionic 'kumbaya' will end soon

I agree. Let's not get into conspiracies and stay on topic.

14 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

the histrionic 'kumbaya' will end soon

While dispensing with adolescent racial jibes.

:coffee1:

On 9/25/2017 at 7:18 AM, ilostmypassword said:

I actually would enjoy doing brain surgery for free. Better me than those overpaid boys and girls who do it now.

And why is not showing up worse than kneeling on one knee?

And why is the national anthem even played before football and baseball games?

I think it is better they stay in the locker room than have them actually showing to the world, their disrespect for the United States which with all its faults has allowed them to become multi millionaires.

1 hour ago, iReason said:

I agree. Let's not get into conspiracies and stay on topic.

While dispensing with adolescent racial jibes.

What 'adolescent racial jibes'?  'Kumbaya' is a song from South Carolina written by an English Professor used, mainly, by Boy Scouts.

Another attempt by you to discredit other posters, on this occasion, by suggesting I am racist. 

Just for you:

Kumbaya #1 • Scout Songs - YouTube.MP4

Report: Defense Dept. paid NFL millions of taxpayer dollars to salute troops

"The United States Department of Defense paid the National Football League more than $5 million in taxpayer money between 2011 to 2014 to honor U.S. soldiers and veterans at games, an investigation revealed this week."

"Nearly $5.4 million was given to 14 NFL teams across the country, the bulk of which ($5.3 million) was supplied by the National Guard and the rest paid by the Army and Air Force, according to government records obtained by NJ.com."

"But instead of purely heartfelt salutes to soldiers from hometown football teams, 

the halftime segments were reportedly part of paid promotions under federal advertising contracts for the military."

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/defense-department-paid-5-4-million-nfl-honor-troops/

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/05/which_nfl_teams_are_getting_your_federal_tax_dolla.html

Stay out of politics some say here?

DoD paid $53 million of taxpayers' money to pro sports for military tributes, report says

"A report released Wednesday criticized the Department of Defense for spending millions in sports marketing contracts and called to task the professional sports teams that took the money, saying they were engaged in “paid patriotism.”

"Prepared by U.S. Sens. John McCain and Jeff Flake, both Arizona Republicans, the report found that all military branches reported spending $53 million on marketing and advertising contracts with professional sports organizations between 2012 and 2015."

"More than $10 million of that went to the NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA and Major League Soccer."

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/nation/2015/11/06/Department-of-Defense-paid-53-million-to-pro-sports-for-military-tributes-report-says/stories/201511060140

“paid patriotism” you say?

P.S. Up to 2009 all the NFL stayed in their locker rooms until the anthem was over. Fact.

Interesting that not one sports team owner, NFL or other, has fired anyone thus far.  That, despite Trump ordering/begging them to do so. 

Who is loyal to Trump anymore?  Jared?  If Jared was an NFL team coach and 14 players 'took the knee' during the Nat'l anthem, would Jared have immediately fired all of them?  If not, then he's not loyal to his daddy-in-law.  Additionally, if Jared (or Ivanka or Bannon or Cohen or Trump Jr, or Eric, or Miller or whomever is still loyal to Trump Sr) ......would be required to shout 'YOU'RE FIRED, YOU SON OF A BITCH !!!' ....to each person fired, while making sure they immediately left the playing field, took off their uniforms, and forfeited their salaries ....and every penny remaining in their contracts.

What's really sad is that during all the time Trump has been tweeting about the NFL, he didn't tweet at all or in any way address the disaster in Puerto Rico which is far worse for its people than what Irma inflicted on the people of Texas. And when after 5 days of silence he finally did tweet, it was to comment about Puerto Rico's debt and bad infrastructure. Not a word of sympathy for the people there. And more importantly, not a word about sending them additional aid.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/sep/26/trump-puerto-rico-crisis-massive-debt

There is obviously something seriously wrong with Trump.

4 hours ago, iReason said:

And Roger Goodell the Commissioner of the National Football League and the NFL owners supported the protests.

What else ya got?

It is absolutely his right to do so. Just like it is the fans right to not watch, attend , buy, support the sponsors.  Roger Goodell can do whatever he wants, until the owners have lost too much money. Then it will not be up to him...That's what I got...............

53 minutes ago, iReason said:

Report: Defense Dept. paid NFL millions of taxpayer dollars to salute troops

"The United States Department of Defense paid the National Football League more than $5 million in taxpayer money between 2011 to 2014 to honor U.S. soldiers and veterans at games, an investigation revealed this week."

"Nearly $5.4 million was given to 14 NFL teams across the country, the bulk of which ($5.3 million) was supplied by the National Guard and the rest paid by the Army and Air Force, according to government records obtained by NJ.com."

"But instead of purely heartfelt salutes to soldiers from hometown football teams, 

the halftime segments were reportedly part of paid promotions under federal advertising contracts for the military."

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/defense-department-paid-5-4-million-nfl-honor-troops/

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/05/which_nfl_teams_are_getting_your_federal_tax_dolla.html

Stay out of politics some say here?

DoD paid $53 million of taxpayers' money to pro sports for military tributes, report says

"A report released Wednesday criticized the Department of Defense for spending millions in sports marketing contracts and called to task the professional sports teams that took the money, saying they were engaged in “paid patriotism.”

"Prepared by U.S. Sens. John McCain and Jeff Flake, both Arizona Republicans, the report found that all military branches reported spending $53 million on marketing and advertising contracts with professional sports organizations between 2012 and 2015."

"More than $10 million of that went to the NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA and Major League Soccer."

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/nation/2015/11/06/Department-of-Defense-paid-53-million-to-pro-sports-for-military-tributes-report-says/stories/201511060140

“paid patriotism” you say?

P.S. Up to 2009 all the NFL stayed in their locker rooms until the anthem was over. Fact.

True, they should have stayed there. No to bring their BS onto the field. Hopefully, they will go back to them staying in the locker room..

1 minute ago, habanero said:

It is absolutely his right to do so. Just like it is the fans right to not watch, attend , buy, support the sponsors.  Roger Goodell can do whatever he wants, until the owners have lost too much money. Then it will not be up to him...That's what I got...............

If you think fans and sponsors are going to stop watching NFL over this , both you and your messiah Trump are gravely mistaken.

59 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

Interesting that not one sports team owner, NFL or other, has fired anyone thus far.  That, despite Trump ordering/begging them to do so. 

Who is loyal to Trump anymore?  Jared?  If Jared was an NFL team coach and 14 players 'took the knee' during the Nat'l anthem, would Jared have immediately fired all of them?  If not, then he's not loyal to his daddy-in-law.  Additionally, if Jared (or Ivanka or Bannon or Cohen or Trump Jr, or Eric, or Miller or whomever is still loyal to Trump Sr) ......would be required to shout 'YOU'RE FIRED, YOU SON OF A BITCH !!!' ....to each person fired, while making sure they immediately left the playing field, took off their uniforms, and forfeited their salaries ....and every penny remaining in their contracts.

What team does this guy play for?  The one who started it all.

Kappy.jpg

11 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

If you think fans and sponsors are going to stop watching NFL over this , both you and your messiah Trump are gravely mistaken.

This is not about Trump. Yeah, he made the stupid remarks the other day. But, this has been brewing for a while. 

To many of you seem to forget,  this all started on Obama's watch.

3 hours ago, iReason said:

Yes. They made their statement gloriously before the Nationalists had a chance to attack.

"The Dallas players all kneeled with owner Jerry Jones and his family before a giant American flag was unfurled,

drawing some boos from the Cardinals fans."

"They rose arm-in-arm just before the singing of the anthem."

"The Cardinals gathered on the goal line as a team, some of them locking arms, during the anthem; 

Cardinals owner Michael Bidwell and his family and general manager Steve Keim joined them."

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2017/sep/25/jerry-jones-dallas-cowboys-players-kneel-national-/

Is arm-in-arm gonna upset you?

Oh I get it.  You are opposed nationalism.  Is that what the protests are about?  Maybe it's time you stopped being evasive and told up what you think American football players are doing disrespecting the American Anthem? 

I think it's about black power or absence of white power or some racial motive that makes them feel unloved and shot at a lot by black and white cops. 

1 minute ago, habanero said:

This is not about Trump. Yeah, he made the stupid remarks the other day. But, this has been brewing for a while. 

You mean it's Obama's fault that players no longer stayed in the locker room while the anthem was being played?

Or do you mean that players not standing for the national anthem is the kind of important issue a President should address?

11 minutes ago, habanero said:

Disagree, Trump himself made it about Trump.

13 minutes ago, habanero said:

True, they should have stayed there. No to bring their BS onto the field.

Hopefully, they will go back to them staying in the locker room..

They don't need some inanimate nationalistic song glorifying war and professing "In God is our trust" to protest against.

(Although, it would deserve it.)

As evidenced on the field by the Dallas players along with owner Jerry Jones and his family and the Cardinals who gathered on the goal line as a team, along with Cardinals owner Michael Bidwell and his family and general manager Steve Keim.

Before the "god is on our side" proclamation began.

Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the heav'n-rescued land
Praise the Pow'r that hath made and preserv'd us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause is just
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust"
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave

That's when they lost me. As a kid.

14 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

You mean it's Obama's fault that players no longer stayed in the locker room while the anthem was being played?

Or do you mean that players not standing for the national anthem is the kind of important issue a President should address?

It is about the American people and Only the American people. If you think they don't care about this, you are wrong. Do I support them? You bet I do. But I am a little biased for reasons unknown to you.

If you think this letter isn't real, feel free to check it on snopes.com

Commisioner,

I’ve been a season pass holder at Yankee Stadium, Yale Bowl and Giants Stadium.

I missed the ’90-’91 season because I was with a battalion of Marines in Desert Storm. 14 of my wonderful Marines returned home with the American Flag draped across their lifeless bodies. My last conversation with one of them, Sgt Garrett Mongrella, was about how our Giants were going to the Super Bowl. He never got to see it.

Many friends, Marines, and Special Forces Soldiers who worked with or for me through the years returned home with the American Flag draped over their coffins.

Now I watch multi millionaire athletes who never did anything in their lives but play a game, disrespect what brave Americans fought and died for. They are essentially spitting in the faces and on the graves of real men, men who have actually done something for this country beside playing with a ball and believing they’re something special! They’re not! My Marines and Soldiers were!

You are complicit in this!

You’ll fine players for large and small infractions but you lack the morale courage and respect for our nation and the fallen to put an immediate stop to this.

Yes, I know, it’s their 1st Amendment right to behave in such a despicable manner. What would happen if they came out and disrespected you or the refs publicly?

I observed a player getting a personal foul for twerking in the end zone after scoring. I guess that’s much worse than disrespecting the flag and our National Anthem. Hmmmmm, isn’t it his 1st Amendment right to express himself like an idiot in the end zone? Why is taunting not allowed yet taunting America is ok? You fine players for wearing 9-11 commemorative shoes yet you allow scum on the sidelines to sit, kneel or pump their pathetic fist in the air. They are so deprived with their multimillion dollar contracts for playing a freaking game! You condone it all by your refusal to act. You’re just as bad and disgusting as they are. I hope Americans boycott any sponsor who supports that rabble you call the NFL. I hope they turn off the TV when any team that allowed this disrespect to occur, without consequence, on the sidelines. I applause those who have not.

Legends and heroes do NOT wear shoulder pads. They wear body armor and carry rifles.

They make minimum wage and spend months and years away from their families. They don’t do it for an hour on Sunday. They do 24/7 often with lead,not footballs, coming in their direction. They watch their brothers carted off in pieces not on a gurney to get their knee iced. They don’t even have ice! Many do t have legs or arms. Some wear blue and risk their lives daily on the streets of America. They wear fire helmets and go upstairs into the fire rather than down to safety. On 9-11, hundreds vanished. They are the heroes.

I hope that your high paid protesting pretty boys and you look in that mirror when you shave tomorrow and see what you really are, legends in your own minds. You need to hit the road and take those worms with you!

Time to change the channel.

Col Jeffrey A Powers USMC(ret)

5 minutes ago, iReason said:

They don't need some inanimate nationalistic song glorifying war and professing "In God is our trust" to protest against.

(Although, it would deserve it.)

As evidenced on the field by the Dallas players along with owner Jerry Jones and his family and the Cardinals who gathered on the goal line as a team, along with Cardinals owner Michael Bidwell and his family and general manager Steve Keim.

Before the "god is on our side" proclamation began.

Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the heav'n-rescued land
Praise the Pow'r that hath made and preserv'd us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause is just
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust"
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave

That's when they lost me. As a kid.

Jerry Jones and the Cowboys did that before the National Anthem even started.  

34 minutes ago, amvet said:

What team does this guy play for?  The one who started it all.

Nope.

Some guy kneeling in silence did not start anything.

The inept occupier of the White House started it all by fanning the flames for his nationalistic acolytes.

And they leaped to the call.

Has This Happened Before? 6 Things to Know About the History Behind NFL Protests

"Some supporters believe that the history behind the anthem itself makes its performance a fitting time for African-American athletes to protest, given the politics of its writer, Francis Scott Key." 

"He supported sending free blacks (not slaves) back to Africa and, with a few exceptions, was about as pro-slavery, anti-black and anti-abolitionist as you could get at the time," Jason Johnson, a political scientist at Morgan State University, writes." 

"In addition, a third stanza that is almost never sung is specifically disparaging toward the runaway slaves who joined the British Army during the War of 1812 in exchange for their freedom."

http://time.com/4956014/history-anthem-protests-nfl/

23 minutes ago, habanero said:

Jerry Jones and the Cowboys did that before the National Anthem even started.  

Yes. Just as I stated in the post you quoted.

"Before the "god is on our side" proclamation began."

While conveniently ignoring the rest of it.

3 minutes ago, iReason said:

Nope.

Some guy kneeling in silence did not start anything.

The inept occupier of the White House started it all by fanning the flames for his nationalistic acolytes.

And they leaped to the call.

Has This Happened Before? 6 Things to Know About the History Behind NFL Protests

"Some supporters believe that the history behind the anthem itself makes its performance a fitting time for African-American athletes to protest, given the politics of its writer, Francis Scott Key." 

"He supported sending free blacks (not slaves) back to Africa and, with a few exceptions, was about as pro-slavery, anti-black and anti-abolitionist as you could get at the time," Jason Johnson, a political scientist at Morgan State University, writes." 

"In addition, a third stanza that is almost never sung is specifically disparaging toward the runaway slaves who joined the British Army during the War of 1812 in exchange for their freedom."

http://time.com/4956014/history-anthem-protests-nfl/

13 months ago (while Obama was President) Kaepernick knelt down to show his disrespect for the American National Anthem and protest of what he deemed are wrongdoings against African Americans and minorities in the United States. He was not hired by any team this year as a result of that disrespect.   

Archived