Thai junta leader, backers fuel suspicions of plans to stay in power

rooster59

2 hours ago, wow64 said:

I don't think I have meet any Thais that actually like him. They love their country and everything Thai.

Think he has a hard road ahead if he actually wants to be in power by an election.

I don't think you know educated Thai who work/live in BKK and keep the country running, right? How can they do their jobs when there are hurds of people occupying the streets and blocking governmentbuildings?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, rkidlad said:

He's been in power for over three years. I can't see why anything would change anytime soon. Well, at least no one will try to invade Thailand for its som tam when they see the submarines. 

I see, so can't see that loads of corrupt people have been arrested?

Or that loads of new trains are ordered?

And that all those thugs with guns/bombs/burning car tires/roadblocks/landencroachment  are gone?

Or that the streetvendors are moved to new markets so we can walk on sidewalks now and even without motobikes driving there.

I can go on but i think it's time you go see the ophthalmologist :post-4641-1156694572:

32 minutes ago, Thian said:

And that all those thugs with guns/bombs/burning car tires/roadblocks/landencroachment  are gone?

Or that the streetvendors are moved to new markets so we can walk on sidewalks now and even without motobikes driving there.

I can go on but i think it's time you go see the ophthalmologist :post-4641-1156694572:

Yea, you forgot lottery tickets and no one riding in the back of pick up trucks ?

and motorbikes are sill riding on footpaths. Laws are meaningless if the ones upholding them are breaking them themselves and don’t care. 

3 hours ago, saakura said:
3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Other than stopping the reds from shooting and bombing the yellow-shirt groups, what exactly does your wife think the current government is doing that "many Thais have been wanting for a long time."

Police reform, no.

Criminal justice reform, no

Punishing corruption, barely.

Improving Thailand's economy and business climate, no

Improving education in Thailand, no

Making Thailand a more tourist friendly destination, no

Doing anything to lessen the gaping rich-poor divide, no

I could go on, but you kind of get the idea???

Umm..maybe his wife is talking about lottery ticket prices, moto taxi riders wearing jackets, beach chairs and such important matters?

What they had before was a bit better, but it will take a while for the Thai people to realise it. The current ruler is making it quite clear that the military will always have the final say. One day, when a despot takes control, they will realise their mistakes. Absolute power is a dangerous thing.

59 minutes ago, Thian said:

Isn't it amazing how easy it is to get things done when you're in absolute control? You just wave your magic wand and it gets done. There's no red tape getting in your way when you can just make proclamations.

It's also very easy to do bad things. Right now it appears that they got lucky with a ruler who seems to care, but how long will their luck last.

26 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

He seized power with the intention to be PM. The junta appointed NLA dutifully endorsed him. Rest of the procedures were just the normal protocol. 

Prayut is in this for the long haul. Democracy is a long way away. He loves the fame.

1 hour ago, rkidlad said:

Yea, you forgot lottery tickets and no one riding in the back of pick up trucks ?

and motorbikes are sill riding on footpaths. Laws are meaningless if the ones upholding them are breaking them themselves and don’t care. 

I went to saphan kwai this week to those motocy shops but i couldn't park there...there was a sign of the 5000 baht fine and they all pointed at it when i parked on the sidewalk (not in the walkingpath though). 

When i went inside the shop i asked them where i could park cause those shops will go bankrupt if no motocy can park there (they sell motocy parts and helmets), they said i could park right behind their shopwindow while being inside the shop, so that's what i did.

Nobody dares to park there anymore, so where did you see them driving on sidewalks in BKK??

9 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Yes, love your country. Anyone who criticizes the country's leaders doesn't love the country. 

I've heard Thai people say they don't like this person and that person, etc. Never heard one say they don't love their country. Is it a problem?

I don't know one Thai that wants Prayut. The country people no nothing and that's why his there 

7 hours ago, saakura said:
7 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Other than stopping the reds from shooting and bombing the yellow-shirt groups, what exactly does your wife think the current government is doing that "many Thais have been wanting for a long time."

Police reform, no.

Criminal justice reform, no

Punishing corruption, barely.

Improving Thailand's economy and business climate, no

Improving education in Thailand, no

Making Thailand a more tourist friendly destination, no

Doing anything to lessen the gaping rich-poor divide, no

I could go on, but you kind of get the idea???

Umm..maybe his wife is talking about lottery ticket prices, moto taxi riders wearing jackets, beach chairs and such important matters?

I'd be surprised if she's happy about all the street food traders being cleared out.

I reckon the bird crouching front left in the op photo is taller than him.

5 hours ago, Thian said:

I don't think you know educated Thai who work/live in BKK and keep the country running, right? How can they do their jobs when there are hurds of people occupying the streets and blocking governmentbuildings?

The people who keep the country running (the same as in every country) are the ordinary workers. A bunch of trained monkeys could do a better job in Thailand on the management side of things than the entitled rabble who always get to pull the strings. And trained monkeys wouldn't trouser thirty percent of the funds  :sad:.

5 hours ago, Thian said:

Actually work in BKK for a very large tech company.. but good guess

Edited by wow64

11 hours ago, rooster59 said:

A composer of sentimental ballads, Prayuth has dropped hints in his music of a longer term political future. His latest song, "Bridge", repeats a message that he will stay as long as it takes to steer Thailand through troubled waters.

It is a cynical view but what stands out to me from this article is the play on the Thai peoples' inherent patriotism, revealing the junta leader's Machiavellianism.

Standard rhetoric and propaganda, right out of the standard playbook.  I don't think he has any exit strategy nor exit plan for that matter.  The people are under the thumb and in my opinion are likely to remain there. I think in all of history of coups there has only been one or two dictators that voluntarily and agreeably gave up power and followed proper elections after they left.  It was one small African country I think

11 hours ago, Thian said:

I went to saphan kwai this week to those motocy shops but i couldn't park there...there was a sign of the 5000 baht fine and they all pointed at it when i parked on the sidewalk (not in the walkingpath though). 

When i went inside the shop i asked them where i could park cause those shops will go bankrupt if no motocy can park there (they sell motocy parts and helmets), they said i could park right behind their shopwindow while being inside the shop, so that's what i did.

Nobody dares to park there anymore, so where did you see them driving on sidewalks in BKK??

Yes, there are signs that say there's a 5000 baht fine for riding a motorcycle on the pavement. I just watched a few of them ride past me this morning going right under these fear inducing signs. 

But if you didn't see any motorcycles on the pavement in 'Saphan Kwai', then I must be mistaken. 

Just now, rkidlad said:

Yes, there are signs that say there's a 5000 baht fine for riding a motorcycle on the pavement. I just watched a few of them ride past me this morning going right under these fear inducing signs. 

But if you didn't see any motorcycles on the pavement in 'Saphan Kwai', then I must be mistaken. 

You should have made pictures of them and claim the reward of 2500 baht each...and also mention where you have seen it so other bountyhunters can go there as well.

If there are still places where motocy's drive on sidewalks we should mention it here because the police there is not doing it's job. Condo's in those area's will drop in price because who wants to buy a condo in area's without police?

Just now, Thian said:

You should have made pictures of them and claim the reward of 2500 baht each...and also mention where you have seen it so other bountyhunters can go there as well.

If there are still places where motocy's drive on sidewalks we should mention it here because the police there is not doing it's job. Condo's in those area's will drop in price because who wants to buy a condo in area's without police?

I'll be sure to do that. I'm sure the coppers in the traffic booth who can see them with their own eyes will take me dead seriously. 

That money will really come in handy. 

6 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

I'll be sure to do that. I'm sure the coppers in the traffic booth who can see them with their own eyes will take me dead seriously. 

That money will really come in handy. 

If you really want it to stop than take a pic of the coppers sitting in that booth while a motocy drives past them on the sidewalk.

The picture will be on thai tv tomorrow in the news and i guarantee that the days after that there won't be any motocy's driving on the sidewalk.

When i drove onto the sidewalk i noticed a sign on a pole (mounted on a cartire), i only could read the 5000 on the sign but the rest was in Thai script which i can't read. 

I wonder if they could fine me for that. How should i be able to read thai script?

18 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Thai junta leader, backers fuel suspicions of plans to stay in power

By Panarat Thepgumpanat, Patpicha Tanakasempipat and Panu Wongcha-um

640x640 (1).jpg

Thailand's Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha poses for photo with local government officers at a farmer school in Suphan Buri province, Thailand September 18, 2017. REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha

BANGKOK (Reuters) - In his dark suit, Thai junta leader Prayuth Chan-ocha cut an incongruous figure guiding a rice tractor across a muddy paddy field in front of cameras and watching villagers.

The prime minister's latest photo opportunity won applause from farmers watching in straw hats and his visit to Suphan Buri on Monday brought a call from a local political bigwig for him to stay in power for another decade.

Political activities in Thailand have been suspended since Prayuth's 2014 coup, but Thai politicians are asking whether what looks like campaigning is exactly what it seems.

The trips to the countryside, a new Facebook account and a chorus of political groups offering support are raising suspicions of a plan to keep Prayuth in power even if long-promised elections happen next year.

"It's not beyond expectations that he is out campaigning in the provinces to prepare to become prime minister again," said Chaturon Chaisang, a leader of the Pheu Thai party, which under various names has won every election for a generation.

Since August, Prayuth has visited six provinces, including places traditionally considered important battlegrounds for elections. Such trips with his cabinet will now be monthly.

In the previous three years, he had only taken two such trips outside Bangkok.

"I am not here to make people love me, but I want everyone to love the country," Prayuth, 63, told farmers in Suphan Buri, 100 km (60 miles) north of Bangkok.

Said 60-year-old farmer Samruay Tongpratet: "If the prime minister can truly help the poor then he can stay as long as he wants."

Prayuth's office declined to comment on any plan to keep him in power.

CREMATION AND CORONATION

Politics will not resume until well after the cremation next month of the revered King Bhumibol Adulyadej, who died last October, and the subsequent coronation of his son, King Maha Vajiralongkorn.

In the meantime, Prayuth has the field to himself.

"That's why he needed to hold these mobile cabinet meetings in the provinces, act more like a politician, hold rallies, and meet the people," said Thitinan Pongsudhirak, director of the Institute of Security and International Studies at Chulalongkorn University, noting the signs that Prayuth wants to stay longer.

Last month, Prayuth set up a Facebook page with pictures of him walking with his arm around a farmer's shoulder and giving alms to monks. It now has nearly 11,000 likes.

A poll in June showed that 53 percent of Thais would like Prayuth to serve another term.

Although Thailand's economic growth lags other countries in Southeast Asia and dissent is strongly repressed, surveys show that Prayuth's backers welcome the stability since the coup.

Whether that calm survives electioneering is another question after over a decade of turmoil between colour-coded factions that Prayuth said he sought to end with his coup.

On one side is the 'yellow' Democrat Party, which is popular with middle-class voters and has strong support in Bangkok and parts of the south.

On the other side is the 'red' movement of ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, whose parties appeal to poorer voters, particularly in the populous northeast.

Thaksin's sister, Yingluck Shinawatra, was overthrown by Prayuth in the 2014 coup and last month fled Thailand ahead of a verdict in a corruption trial - eliminating a charismatic party figurehead who might also have rallied opposition to Prayuth.

'OUTSIDE PRIME MINISTER'

Although he cannot technically stand for election because he would have needed to resign by July, a new constitution drawn up at the junta's behest does offer him a route.

He could be chosen as an "outside prime minister" - foreseen under the constitution if the winning party fails to get enough votes for its candidate in the 500-member lower house of parliament.

In such a case, the upper house would also have a say - its 250 members will be picked by the military. Prayuth would still need support from at least half the lower house, however.

Although neither of Thailand's two main political parties has said it would endorse him, smaller players are mobilizing.

Paiboon Nititawan, a former member of a now-defunct reform council, has set up an office for a new People's Reform Party to back Prayuth.

Suchart Chantharachotikul, a classmate of Prayuth from military school, told Reuters he is coordinating smaller parties to form a grouping to back the junta leader.

"Prayuth's military government isn't perfect, but they took care of problems like unrest. It wouldn't be so strange if he stays on for another four years," Suchart said.

A composer of sentimental ballads, Prayuth has dropped hints in his music of a longer term political future. His latest song, "Bridge", repeats a message that he will stay as long as it takes to steer Thailand through troubled waters.

"My two hands won't let you go," says one refrain.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-09-24

Hands up the two of you who are surprised by this "news".

8 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Standard rhetoric and propaganda, right out of the standard playbook.  I don't think he has any exit strategy nor exit plan for that matter.  The people are under the thumb and in my opinion are likely to remain there. I think in all of history of coups there has only been one or two dictators that voluntarily and agreeably gave up power and followed proper elections after they left.  It was one small African country I think

He isn't the single decision maker. He will stay, and do, as he is told, for as long as he is told. Any exit plan will be given to him has and when that decision is taken.

What, if any, future role there will be for him, we have to wait and see.

Those backing the Junta call the shots. That's an awful lot of senior military officers and hiso elites to keep happy.

Edited by Baerboxer

17 hours ago, Denim said:

Does he sincerely think that tying a red pakama around his waist for a five minute photo shoot gives him mass appeal to the farming community ?

Talk about shallow.  Pretty low opinion of the average peasant.

party spoiler