One dead, six injured in shooting at Nashville church

webfact

One dead, six injured in shooting at Nashville church

tag-reuters-1.jpg

The scene where people were injured when gunfire erupted at the Burnette Chapel Church of Christ, in Nashville, Tennessee, U.S. September 24, 2017. Nashville Fire Department/Handout via REUTERS

(Reuters) - A woman was killed and at least six people were injured when a gunman opened fire at a church in Nashville on Sunday morning, officials said.

The woman died in the parking lot and medical officials were treating at least six wounded church-goers after the shooting at Burnette Chapel Church of Christ, according to the Nashville Police Department.

All but one of the wounded were over 60 years old and were being taken to nearby hospitals, Joseph Pleasant, a Nashville Fire Department spokesman, told Reuters. The gunman was among the wounded, according to Pleasant and the police.

The church is in Antioch, about 10 miles (16 km) southeast of downtown Nashville in Tennessee.

The church's pastor was shot in the chest and was being treated at a hospital, the WKRN television news channel reported, citing the pastor's son.

(Reporting By Frank McGurty and Jonathan Allen; Editing by Mary Milliken)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-09-25

23 minutes ago, FreddieRoyle said:

Reuters gone full-on PC. The shooter was a Sudanese national called Emanuel Kidega Samson aged 25yrs. Reuters seems to be deliberately omitting the shooters name and background, I wonder why?? 

Rueters has been full on PC for some time already.

9 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Rueters has been full on PC for some time already.

Yes, but this is deliberately misleading. Readers will jump to the conclusion that it is some right wing nut like Dylan Roof - who incidentally was named and photographed within hours after his church rampage. This is a pure hate crime from Reuters. It's a disgrace, I have messaged them already - now holding my breath for a reply.

2 hours ago, FreddieRoyle said:

Reuters gone full-on PC. The shooter was a Sudanese national called Emanuel Kidega Samson aged 25yrs. Reuters seems to be deliberately omitting the shooters name and background, I wonder why?? 

Jumping to conclusions yourself. Reuters are reporting the information given to them by the Fire Department official. When their report was published had the identity of the gunman been released?

2 hours ago, FreddieRoyle said:

Yes, but this is deliberately misleading. Readers will jump to the conclusion that it is some right wing nut like Dylan Roof - who incidentally was named and photographed within hours after his church rampage. This is a pure hate crime from Reuters. It's a disgrace, I have messaged them already - now holding my breath for a reply.

You have no information yet but you know it is a hate crime. It may very well be, but why don't we wait for the police to begin their investigation first. Why would readers jump to the conclusion that it is a white, Christian terrorist instead of a black (religion unknown) terrorist just because Reuters didn't immediately publish the shooters name?

2 hours ago, Scott said:

I read somewhere that he was known to the Church and had attended.  

Aaron had said earlier that police weren't aware of any relation between the gunman and the congregation, but he said Sunday evening that some churchgoers recognized his name and said he had attended the church about a year or two ago.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/one-killed-eight-shot-church-shooting-tennessee-n804321