Used Golf Club sets

JAFO

I am looking to take up Golf. At this time I do not want to sink a wad of cash into a new set. I am looking for a nice used set. I live in Lampang. Anybody steer me in the direction of used ones on sale?

Thanks

On 9/25/2017 at 6:02 PM, JAFO said:

I am looking to take up Golf. At this time I do not want to sink a wad of cash into a new set. I am looking for a nice used set. I live in Lampang. Anybody steer me in the direction of used ones on sale?

Thanks

I have seen used sets for sale at driving ranges or the "pro" there may be able to help you find a set to suit you.

You maybe should inform if you are a leftie or rightie..

15 minutes ago, james.d said:

I have seen used sets for sale at driving ranges or the "pro" there may be able to help you find a set to suit you.

You maybe should inform if you are a leftie or rightie..

Thanks I will look into it. I am going to be in BKK this weekend and will visit the golf shops on Silom rd. 

I am a rightie btw.

Thanks

I'd check Craigslist and Bahtsold.  I've bought several larger items on both and had them shipped to Bangkok where I live with no issues.  Of course, that doesn't mean the next transaction won't go sideways...  I'm always astounded that used golf clubs are usually discounted way below the new cost, while many other items are often offered at just a slight discount to new.  

a new set will cost you 5000 bht ..........

Quality ????? you dont need quality .....you are a starter and will probably give

it up after 2 tries ........

If not ,buy a very expensive set....try 2 more times and give it up then ......

So by now ..you have 2 sets of clubs ......just like the rest of us !:stoner:

9 minutes ago, lucjoker said:

a new set will cost you 5000 bht ..........

Quality ????? you dont need quality .....you are a starter and will probably give

it up after 2 tries ........

If not ,buy a very expensive set....try 2 more times and give it up then ......

So by now ..you have 2 sets of clubs ......just like the rest of us !:stoner:

THB5000 for a new set of golf clubs? You must be joking. By the way I have never met anyone who has not become hooked on golf once they have given it a try,

There is a unique shop just south of Jomtien on Sukhamvit road - it has a 4-story guitar you can climb up at the storefront.  I did a Google search and nothing came up, but I've purchased a guitar there. It has SUCH a mixture of odds and ends, and in the middle there is a huge mound of golf clubs and complete sets of clubs. I haven't been there in about a year, I hope it's still there cuz it was so COOL just to window shop!  Leaving Jomtien heading towards Sattahip, go slow cuz you'll miss it if you blink, it's on the left side of the road.

On 9/27/2017 at 10:11 AM, JAFO said:

Thanks I will look into it. I am going to be in BKK this weekend and will visit the golf shops on Silom rd. 

I am a rightie btw.

Thanks

Try the golf shops on Thaniya Rd (runs between Silom & Surawong), nr the Sala Saeng BTS.  Japanese area. They tend to trade up quite often, bargains for us Gaijin.

Edited by jgarbo
addition

16 minutes ago, quandow said:

There is a unique shop just south of Jomtien on Sukhamvit road - it has a 4-story guitar you can climb up at the storefront.  I did a Google search and nothing came up, but I've purchased a guitar there. It has SUCH a mixture of odds and ends, and in the middle there is a huge mound of golf clubs and complete sets of clubs. I haven't been there in about a year, I hope it's still there cuz it was so COOL just to window shop!  Leaving Jomtien heading towards Sattahip, go slow cuz you'll miss it if you blink, it's on the left side of the road.

Yeah, I bought a guitar from there, the problem with the golf clubs from these places they are eons old, I think Ben Hogan would have been a child when these clubs were made. The best is to get some clubs from a retired golfer, but warch out for named clones, many in Thailand are from a backyard in China.

On 9/25/2017 at 6:02 PM, JAFO said:

Thanks

check auction houses usually many for sale in them

On 9/30/2017 at 3:22 PM, glasswort said:

THB5000 for a new set of golf clubs? You must be joking. By the way I have never met anyone who has not become hooked on golf once they have given it a try,

I know many who did it once,and gave up.....tooo hot !

well you did not met me ,nor my friends......

most new players here are 60+ , too old to learn this sport in this heat......

we changed to the afternoon (aircon) bar games, it's a much easier "ball-game' .....

I would suggest you take a couple of lessons before spending your money on golf clubs. That way, you will find out if you have any aptitude for the game. I've seen a few people who will never become golfers while their ###e points to the ground.

Bear in mind golf is a sport where starting late limits the level you can achieve. I've been playing golf for 60 years, and still consider I started 2 years too late.

The OP has a number of suggested golf sets to choose from. There is a lot more to buying even a used golf set of clubs than he imagines.

For example, blades are out. That's for professionals. If he is over 50, steel shafts are out as well. I'm willing to bet most posters on this thread don't know steel shafts degrade over time and become "dead". That means the steel has lost its tensile properties.

If he's over 60, the question becomes - regular flex graphite or senior? Depends on his strength and hand speed.

I have to laugh when I see some of the clubs posters are trying to sell. Some of them wouldn't be out of place in the museum at the back of the first hole of the Old Course at St. Andrews.

On ‎01‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:49 PM, bazza73 said:

If he is over 50, steel shafts are out as well. I'm willing to bet most posters on this thread don't know steel shafts degrade over time and become "dead". That means the steel has lost its tensile properties.

If he's over 60, the question becomes - regular flex graphite or senior? Depends on his strength and hand speed.

Sorry but I cannot agree with any of that (I am trying to be polite :1zgarz5:). .

Please link some proof that steel shafts degrade and become "dead" over time.......

At best the rest is a generalisation but I do agree with your previous post re taking some lessons :thumbsup:

11 hours ago, topt said:

Sorry but I cannot agree with any of that (I am trying to be polite :1zgarz5:). .

Please link some proof that steel shafts degrade and become "dead" over time.......

At best the rest is a generalisation but I do agree with your previous post re taking some lessons :thumbsup:

I can't prove it with a link, only anecdotally. I had a set of Wilsons, steel shafts, which I played with for about ten years. I noticed I'd dropped a club distance with them. I mentioned it to a fellow player who later turned professional. He laughed and said your shafts have gone dead. He was playing with a set of Wilsons about 2 yo, same spec shafts, same cavity back. We proved it on the next hole, a par 3, when his clubs were a good club different in length. We were both playing off scratch at the time.

I have also worked in a golf shop for a couple of years. The owner was a walking encyclopedia on golf clubs, and he said the same thing.

Most of the internet information appears to debunk the hypothesis that steel shafts go "dead". All I can relate is my own experience.

I currently play with Taylormade Burner irons, regular flex graphite. My old set of Acer ( Callaway clone ) irons have steel shafts, about 15 yo now. There's about 5- 10 yards difference in length on the 7-iron.

Graphite is definitely the way for older players to go. Much more forgiving, less jarring. When you've been playing as long as I have, some osteoarthritis creeps into the hands due to the constant shocks transmitted up the shaft. I once thought nothing of playing a 72  hole tournament over a weekend. Those were the days.

2 hours ago, bazza73 said:

I can't prove it with a link, only anecdotally. I had a set of Wilsons, steel shafts, which I played with for about ten years. I noticed I'd dropped a club distance with them. I mentioned it to a fellow player who later turned professional. He laughed and said your shafts have gone dead. He was playing with a set of Wilsons about 2 yo, same spec shafts, same cavity back. We proved it on the next hole, a par 3, when his clubs were a good club different in length. We were both playing off scratch at the time.

I have also worked in a golf shop for a couple of years. The owner was a walking encyclopedia on golf clubs, and he said the same thing.

Most of the internet information appears to debunk the hypothesis that steel shafts go "dead". All I can relate is my own experience.

I currently play with Taylormade Burner irons, regular flex graphite. My old set of Acer ( Callaway clone ) irons have steel shafts, about 15 yo now. There's about 5- 10 yards difference in length on the 7-iron.

Graphite is definitely the way for older players to go. Much more forgiving, less jarring. When you've been playing as long as I have, some osteoarthritis creeps into the hands due to the constant shocks transmitted up the shaft. I once thought nothing of playing a 72  hole tournament over a weekend. Those were the days.

Ok thanks for the qualification :thumbsup:

Hey TVF'ers 

Thanks for the PMs and other input. I purchased a Used Set of Callaway X series with Bag and 2 woods. Good enough to go play. 

@ Bazza73, I have actually been  to the driving range with friends half a dozen times or so. Just never actually had a set of clubs to do a golf day. The plan is to have some fun and be outdoors. Not looking to be a pro. Cheers

On 10/5/2017 at 6:23 PM, JAFO said:

Hey TVF'ers 

Thanks for the PMs and other input. I purchased a Used Set of Callaway X series with Bag and 2 woods. Good enough to go play. 

@ Bazza73, I have actually been  to the driving range with friends half a dozen times or so. Just never actually had a set of clubs to do a golf day. The plan is to have some fun and be outdoors. Not looking to be a pro. Cheers

Hi JAFO. Hope you acquire the same addiction I have had for 60 years. I also hope those Callaways are legit. They are the number one among Chinese forgeries. Not that it will be important when you are just starting.

Slow back and keep your eye on the ball.