Beer producers expected to suffer from excise tax hike: Fitch

snoop1130

28 minutes ago, manarak said:

light German beers all have between 4.5 and 5% alcohol content.

So you can buy a liter of "light beer" in a bierstube for quarter of a Euro.

Wow! I can see why Germans drink so much beer.

Weather not warm enough in Germany for me though.

You have to pay the price for what is your top priority.

:wai:

2 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

So you can buy a liter of "light beer" in a bierstube for quarter of a Euro.

Wow! I can see why Germans drink so much beer.

Weather not warm enough in Germany for me though.

You have to pay the price for what is your top priority.

:wai:

not a Bierstube... Supermarket.

Beer has become as overpriced in German bars as anywhere else. almost.

On 9/27/2017 at 7:06 AM, Thechook said:

On par with beer prices in Australia now.

You have been away from home far too long.

https://m.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_38175/victoria-bitter-bottles-375ml   That is B1250 @ B25/AU$

https://shoponline.tescolotus.com/groceries/en-GB/shop/beverages-snacks-and-desserts/alcoholic-beverages/beer/all

Chang 24x320mL B708.  Slightly smaller bottles, much lower price.

1 hour ago, halloween said:

And what's the wage Aussie vs Thai?

You can have IQ of a broken car and still earn $20 an hour in Aus

1 hour ago, JohnLick said:

And what's the wage Aussie vs Thai?

You can have IQ of a broken car and still earn $20 an hour in Aus

What does the wage difference have to do with the price being on par as claimed? Do any Thai tourists remark that Oz beer is the same price as back here?

19 hours ago, manarak said:

not a Bierstube... Supermarket.

Beer has become as overpriced in German bars as anywhere else. almost.

Okay, even in a supermarket that is cheap for 4-5% beer.

So comparing regular supermarket or even Macro type places it is very cheap and might come up to your claim of 4x the price with considerably bigger overheads.

So what's the tax rate? And how do they make a profit?

I'm not arguing, I genuinely would like to know why we pay more in the UK, never mind here, if it isn't tax etc.

A price cartel that is ignored?

:unsure:

31 minutes ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Okay, even in a supermarket that is cheap for 4-5% beer.

So comparing regular supermarket or even Macro type places it is very cheap and might come up to your claim of 4x the price with considerably bigger overheads.

So what's the tax rate? And how do they make a profit?

I'm not arguing, I genuinely would like to know why we pay more in the UK, never mind here, if it isn't tax etc.

A price cartel that is ignored?

I wouldn't know details, but what I know about the situation in Germany is that there were many small and medium sized breweries, many have been bought by industrial giants, but a number of medium sized breweries remained independent, I believe the cheap beer comes from them.

I found a comparison of beer prices in the EU from 2006, buy I guess most of it is still true

http://www.focus.de/finanzen/steuern/biersteuer/biersteuer_aid_21793.html

Germany: fresh 10-liter Barrel costs 18 EUR,  or which 3.43 EUR are VAT and "beertax"

Ireland: 29.65 EUR, 14.30 EUR taxes

UK: 28.34 EUR, 14 EUR taxes

Sweden: 28 EUR, 13.50 EUR taxes

Denmark: 22.48 EUR, 7.5 EUR taxes

Italy: 20.87 EUR, 6.9 EUR taxes

Austria: 20.37 EUR, 6 EUR taxes

Poland: 20.34 EUR, 6 EUR taxes

Netherlands: 20.33 EUR, 6 EUR taxes

it seems Ireland, UK and Sweden completely rip off their citizens when it comes to beer.

On 9/26/2017 at 11:26 AM, idman said:

For the average Thai who only earns 300 baht a day yes of course a two or three baht increase will impact them a lot more than the average ExPat or tourist. With petrol rising rapidly once again, the cost of their food increasing their spending ability will suffer thus having a negative effect on the beer and alcohol producers.

If you have the name and phone number of any Thai or Myamar worker who will work for 300 baht per day send them over I need a helper.

2 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Beer the same price where I am for now.

I was charged the new price for ciggs on Tuesday, but Friday they were back to the old price in the same shop.

Amazing Thailand.

?

I bought a box of my favorite last night. Price went from 490 baht to 520 baht. Even I can afford a 2.5 baht increase.

18 hours ago, halloween said:

I have never seen a 15 bottle case of beer here. Is the size of the bottle smaller than the 12 bottle case?

On 9/27/2017 at 2:15 AM, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Are you sure? The article is about beer and spirits not imported whine...

My favourite bar in town charges 90Tb a small bottle, so about £4 a pint (it costs more if you want to watch dancing girls).

In the UK, not known for cheap booze, I pay about £3.50 for a pint of larger in the pub. 

In the shops and out of town bars here it is cheaper, 200Tb for 3 large bottles in many music bars, and 7/elevens and supermarkets a large bottle of beer is about 55-60Tb, much the same as the UK.

My brand of ciggy went up today to 100Tb from 87Tb. Price rises on beer is expected to go up about 2Tb on a small can or small bottle.

So GBP3.50 for a pint of "larger" is the same as THB55-60 for a 620 ml bottle. Hmmm never used to be. in my local small town bars it is still THB70-80 for 620 ml.

14 hours ago, rott said:

So GBP3.50 for a pint of "larger" is the same as THB55-60 for a 620 ml bottle. Hmmm never used to be. in my local small town bars it is still THB70-80 for 620 ml.

You are mixing it up or I didn't explain clearly enough.

Bars and supermarket prices are not comparable.

In an ordinary beer bar in down town Bangkok a small beer (half pint) is close to ฿90+ without "girly entertainment" but with TV sport.

In an equivalent pub in the UK a pint of regular larger is a minimum of  £3.50.

Work it out.

If you bargain hunt the offers in UK supermarkets it is much the same story. Pint bottle of Singha light here for ฿51 and a pint can of Carling for £1.20, both 4.5%.

:burp:

Of course, in middle and southern Europe beer is much cheaper.

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

On 9/28/2017 at 2:16 AM, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

The cost of production including tax determines the wholesale price, the wholesale price plus distribution and tax determines the retail price, so it is all relative anyway.

True in a market economy with real competition between the brewers.  Not so true when one company has 90% market share. 

In Thailand. the wholesale price is what customers are willing to pay minus what the brewer grudgingly allows everyone else in the supply chain to make.  Just like so many other products in LOS, where the price we pay is seriously disconnected from production costs- either by monopoly, or by protectionist import policies.

Edited by impulse

28 minutes ago, impulse said:

True in a market economy with real competition between the brewers.  Not so true when one company has 90% market share. 

In Thailand. the wholesale price is what customers are willing to pay minus what the brewer grudgingly allows everyone else in the supply chain to make.  Just like so many other products in LOS, where the price we pay is seriously disconnected from production costs- either by monopoly, or by protectionist import policies.

Unfortunately in the real world a true market economy doesn't exist.

Or maybe you can surprise me and tell us all where it does?

:ermm:

5 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

You are mixing it up or I didn't explain clearly enough.

Bars and supermarket prices are not comparable.

In an ordinary beer bar in down town Bangkok a small beer (half pint) is close to ฿90+ without "girly entertainment" but with TV sport.

In an equivalent pub in the UK a pint of regular larger is a minimum of  £3.50.

Work it out.

If you bargain hunt the offers in UK supermarkets it is much the same story. Pint bottle of Singha light here for ฿51 and a pint can of Carling for £1.20, both 4.5%.

:burp:

Of course, in middle and southern Europe beer is much cheaper.

I would say that 90 baht a small (320 ml) bottle in downtown Bangkok is cheap. Last week in Asoke I paid 130. But it is still possible to get a pint of local draught for 120 or less. Central Bangkok has always been pricey, reflecting rents, wages and a profit motive. These are businesses with a fair bit of investment, not a Pattaya beer bar.

18 hours ago, rott said:

I would say that 90 baht a small (320 ml) bottle in downtown Bangkok is cheap. Last week in Asoke I paid 130. But it is still possible to get a pint of local draught for 120 or less. Central Bangkok has always been pricey, reflecting rents, wages and a profit motive. These are businesses with a fair bit of investment, not a Pattaya beer bar.

Small bars still charge around that, but yes, Hooters, Hillary's various Irish bars and  similar cost more.

I'm talking about Bangkok soi 4 not in the plaza.

I don't live down town anymore, but local bars to my apartment always have deals.

If I'm out a beer tower or 3 for the price of 2 on big bottles is good enough.

?