More monsoon rains this week in Thailand

webfact

More monsoon rains this week in Thailand

By Thai PBS

2017-09-27_TopChart_07.jpg

BANGKOK: -- More monsoon rains are expected to hit several regions of the country this week with intense rains in some areas of the South, the Meteorological Department said on Wednesday (Sept 27).

It said Thailand will face continuous rains over the next 24 hours with intense rain expected in some areas of the southern region. People in these areas are warned to brace for flash flood and surface water flooding from accumulated rain water.

In the Andaman Sea and the Gulf of Thailand, it said high waves of 2 metres high are expected, adding that small boats must take precautions.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/monsoon-rains-week-thailand/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-09-27

I guess now that they've given a heads up, you can follow progress on one of the online Met sites for your local area.

Even if they did give specific predictions I wouldn't put too much weight on it, as the accuracy is limited to the amount of data points they can process in a timely fashion to keep updates reasonably fresh.

A few years ago we had a small part of the city centre blowing in windows and a KFC sign land on half a dozen parked cars (enough to kill any occupants were it not that they were all huddled up in the bricks and mortar building instead), branches everywhere, concrete and metal posts level on the ground...the usual.  A couple of hundred metres away in any direction it was just a heavy storm and a couple of temporary outages from power lines.  I don't think there are any systems out there with enough granularity of data to say that part of one road is safe and part is not, so we have to accept our responsibilities.

2 hours ago, RichinThailand said:

Is the best warning they can  put out...no specifics as to what areas, other than very general terms???  Doesn't help much and can lead to life loss.

I use yahoo weather through my iphone.  It does a pretty good job at predicting the downpours.  I agree though the local services are quite useless.

3 hours ago, RichinThailand said:

Is the best warning they can  put out...no specifics as to what areas, other than very general terms???  Doesn't help much and can lead to life loss.

Naw, it happens every year at this time. Second half of September and most of October we get the heaviest rains. Anybody who hasn't figured that out after four of five years here isn't paying attention. The thing that puzzles me, though, in the twenty years I lived in Bangkok, we always had floods in late October, because the highest tide of the year always happened on October 21st. Now, the tides are caused by the moon, not the sun, so why the highest tide would follow the solar calendar makes no sense to me.

Edited by Acharn

3 hours ago, Shiver said:

I guess now that they've given a heads up, you can follow progress on one of the online Met sites for your local area.

Even if they did give specific predictions I wouldn't put too much weight on it, as the accuracy is limited to the amount of data points they can process in a timely fashion to keep updates reasonably fresh.

A few years ago we had a small part of the city centre blowing in windows and a KFC sign land on half a dozen parked cars (enough to kill any occupants were it not that they were all huddled up in the bricks and mortar building instead), branches everywhere, concrete and metal posts level on the ground...the usual.  A couple of hundred metres away in any direction it was just a heavy storm and a couple of temporary outages from power lines.  I don't think there are any systems out there with enough granularity of data to say that part of one road is safe and part is not, so we have to accept our responsibilities.

Yes, and Thailand is a small country in any case so, from a forecasting point of view, there's mostly just The South, The North and The North-East. Oh, and Grung Thep.

3 hours ago, Shiver said:

Absolutely correct.:unsure: I remember a certain night following one of these sites. Clear skies it told me as one hell of storm was battering down. Best way to describe it was monsoonal. Most times temps are way lower than my thermometer tells me, which is inside and catches a breeze. I've seen 33 on a site when it's 37 inside and f...k..n REALLY hot outside. You may guess I don't give much respect to these sites.

p.s. please don't tell me to check see this site or that site. Had a look a lots and still think looking out of the window/at the sky + thermometer is far more accurate. 

52 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Absolutely correct.:unsure: I remember a certain night following one of these sites. Clear skies it told me as one hell of storm was battering down. Best way to describe it was monsoonal. Most times temps are way lower than my thermometer tells me, which is inside and catches a breeze. I've seen 33 on a site when it's 37 inside and f...k..n REALLY hot outside. You may guess I don't give much respect to these sites.

p.s. please don't tell me to check see this site or that site. Had a look a lots and still think looking out of the window/at the sky + thermometer is far more accurate. 

Thermometers you buy for home use are usually pretty crap, anywhere from 10 to 20% or more out.

Local conditions can't really be forecast, too many variables, topography, slight change in wind direction or change in speed locally etc.

Sometimes I would like rain on the back garden and not on the front garden but I really don't think it will happen.

Two nights ago I called a mate and mentioned how heavy the rain was at my place, among other things. He answered that he was sitting next to his pool with a glass of red falling down water. He lives 5 kilometres away.

???

Just checked a few sites and if you want an accurate thermometer it will cost anywhere between 50 $ cheap to 300 $.

Edited by overherebc

12 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

On a coat hanger from a curtain rod in a window that gets no direct sunlight.

Mate of mine has one on the wall near his barbie. ???.

Micro weather. ???

Should close to the mark where you use it.

Best if on the shady side of the house 

Edited by overherebc

1 hour ago, Acharn said:

Naw, it happens every year at this time. Second half of September and most of October we get the heaviest rains. Anybody who hasn't figured that out after four of five years here isn't paying attention. The thing that puzzles me, though, in the twenty years I lived in Bangkok, we always had floods in late October, because the highest tide of the year always happened on October 21st. Now, the tides are caused by the moon, not the sun, so why the highest tide would follow the solar calendar makes no sense to me.

it's caused by both but the moon has a greater influence and  so when the sun and moon are the same of earth then the tide is stronger, high tide is higher and low tide is lower.

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/education/kits/tides/tides02_cause.html

https://blog.metoffice.gov.uk/2015/09/24/super-tides-this-autumn/

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2017 at 10:21 PM, sandrabbit said:

it's caused by both but the moon has a greater influence and  so when the sun and moon are the same of earth then the tide is stronger, high tide is higher and low tide is lower.

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/education/kits/tides/tides02_cause.html

https://blog.metoffice.gov.uk/2015/09/24/super-tides-this-autumn/

Yeah, but that happens every month. It's called the new moon. 

On 9/28/2017 at 11:18 AM, Stargrazer9889 said:

I just hope that the areas that still need rain  will get enough with this storm

Has the Hua Hin area gotten enough to help fill their reservoirs?

Geezer 

According to link Hua Hin area still has plenty of room for more rain, lot more water in reservoirs than past few years already though. 

http://www.thaiwater.net/DATA/REPORT/php/rid_dam_1.php?lang=en