Where to buy Steel Wool

edwarda909

Looking to buy steel wool. I have made numerous attempts to locate steel wool in CM without luck- HomePro, BigC, Global House, Tesco Lotus, numerous small shops of different stripes.  If you know oaf a specific shop that definitely (sorry to be redundant, but past posts point to the need to do this) please let me know. When I asked this question a year ago, I received suggestions (no help) and one response saying there was a 69 Baht shop in the Rimping complex ( the one on the river) but went there today and zilch. 

When I went looking for 0000-grit Steel Wool for final wood finishing, I couldn't find any in Chiang Mai. In fact, I couldn't find anything other than the coarse kitchen pot scrubbing stuff, not even real steel wool! But I was able to order it cheaply enough on E-Bay, with free international shipping. As SoloFlyer said, $2 for a large roll of it, delivered in a week or so.

37 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

If it is indeed required for finishing wood, then what to local cabinet makers use?

My guess would be 'Pumice.'  You can find that easily here, in different grit sizes. Many wood-workers prefer pumice to steel wool, especially with harder woods.

51 minutes ago, elektrified said:

Correct on all above. The grade found in the plastic shops is not for kitchen use. It is in the aisles that sell paint, tools, etc. But it is not what you are used to. It is a fine grade and disintegrates into powder as you use it. Not very good.

One of the problems with the very fine grades of steel wool is that in Thailand, the humidity causes it to rust away into nothing in a very short time... Days and weeks, rather than years. When I buy it from E-bay, I store it in zip-lock bags with silica gel bead desiccant to eliminate this problem.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, passingas said:

Folk Guitar....how much do you need? I had someone bring me some from the states and have more than I really need. AND....it hasn't started rusting yet! I needed it for tarnished frets and it worked great. pg

Thanks for the offer, but the last time I ordered some from E-bay, I was unsure of the amounts being sold and bought twice as much as I needed. I still have plenty left for the project I'm working on right now. Thanks again for thinking of me.  I appreciate it.  :)

Archived