Eva Air any good?

toast1

1 hour ago, Dene16 said:

Just checked, you are correct, except it states Sept 19th and A380's to continue to run the lunchtime daily flight  

I booked my flight in june and when i enquired about the plane the only information then was about new A380's during day and still 777's on TG flights 

So a pleasant surprise for me to be able to check it out although probable little difference in economy

I bet it does not decrease the journey time though

I've never been on one albeit am guessing as new many here wont have either. If its as good as the Dreamliner who it was built to rival it should be good

Some advice on the A350. According to the flyer Thai sent me regardinf LHR flights there is slightly less pitch in the rear economy cabin (31inches) that in the other economy cabin (32 inches). Oh and no first class, no that I could afford that.

20 hours ago, steve187 said:

that  makes eva a bad airline, first or last on the plane, 1st, business  or economy you all leave at the same time.

Apologies Steve, those three flights I quoted in my post were actually not EVA,I should have been clearer,but apart from first/business class always gaining entry to the plane first,I suppose they do pay a huge amount extra for the privilege,that does happen every flight,it's just the fact it has always been just the odd few boarding first that I mentioned about with my post,lately it seems like the 'fit' ones are in the minority, I don't mind as long as no one has my allotted seat,which has happened a few times,probably because I was one of the last on and the people thought it was a spare and better seat,no problem for me because the nice hostess quickly sorted it, I have made the mistake myself by misreading the seat numbers,tired brain syndrome for me I would think.

• Like 1

EVA is my preferred airline and used to be cheaper than BA but the last 3 flights I've had have been with BA because they have been around GBP 200 cheaper.

I find little difference in comfort and although the crew are nicer looking on EVA I can't justify paying that much extra.

Fantastic airline.   The original premium economy airline.   If you sign up for their email specials you can get premium economy ticket for the price of economy.    

They are putting their 747 fleet out to pasture in favor of 777.  Cabins have been refurbished and the layover in Taipei is much better in my opinion than Incheon or Narita when traveling to the US largely due to the smaller crowds transmitting there.  

• 1 month later...

EVA over Thai or BA for direct flights any day.  

My wife and I have tried all three and agree on EVA.  We have flown in all classes but at the moment we choose business class, for as long as I can afford it, as I'm getting too old for cattle and premium economy.

Our only minor quibble with EVA is their breakfast on the outbound flight (LHR - BKK).  It never quite works and only ever eat half of it.  Last week we had the ham, spinach and sun blushed tomato frittata with chicken sausage and potatoes.  The frittata and chicken sausage were pretty rank, the potatoes were just okay but there was also a small portion of mushrooms in sauce which was great.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2017 at 12:48 PM, Here It Is said:

Our only minor quibble with EVA is their breakfast on the outbound flight (LHR - BKK).  It never quite works and only ever eat half of it.  Last week we had the ham, spinach and sun blushed tomato frittata with chicken sausage and potatoes.  The frittata and chicken sausage were pretty rank, the potatoes were just okay but there was also a small portion of mushrooms in sauce which was great.  

I flew with EVA a couple of weeks ago and had the economy version of the breakfast you describe. Rank is the word for it! It was like eating plastic, but I was starving so ate it all. Needs must and all that.

Most food on airplanes is rank so I still rate EVA quite highly. It was my first flight with them for quite a few years and I was impressed. Having a whole row to myself did make it more enjoyable!  

EVA air is nothing special, on par with KLM and China Airlines (they all do the same route BKK-AMS).
So you can pick EVA when they have a sell, no reason to worry.

On par with. KLM , you must be kidding. Eva is way better.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

On 02/10/2017 at 3:26 AM, Bob12345 said:

EVA air is nothing special, on par with KLM and China Airlines (they all do the same route BKK-AMS).

So you can pick EVA when they have a sell, no reason to worry.

China stopped direct flights over a year ago,I always fly EVA from Amsterdam and if you book early it's a lot cheaper than KLM they are the only direct flights on the AMS-BKK rout.They are fine though always full in high season,they had flights for €589 in june return AMS-BKK January 11 - return march 6,they fly Tuesday,Thursday, Saturday only.good company book early direct with them no hidden charges.

We just flew EVA from Seattle to Bangkok earlier this month and have no complaints. It does allow, like Korean Air, two 50 pound bags per person in economy, as opposed to other airlines, like Delta and United which only allow half that weight allowance.

Other than that, in our opinion anyway, they are like all the rest - get in the metal tube, nap, watch movies, eat whatever food they provide, repeat until you arrive.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

Other than that, in our opinion anyway, they are like all the rest - get in the metal tube, nap, watch movies, eat whatever food they provide, repeat until you arrive.

In terms of the food served on EVA in economy, in my experience, it tends to make quite a difference on which city/location's kitchen is stocking the plane's food supply.

IMHO, the food stocked on the planes departing BKK and LAX is pretty mediocre. But I've always had much better food on the flights departing out of Taipai, which is EVA's home base and HQ. Good on the outbound flights from Taipei. Not so good on the return segment from LAX.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2017 at 8:17 PM, robin33 said:

Not even close did them both many times

Me to, and in my mind they are equals.

Maybe this discussion would move a bit forward if you would mind to explain WHY you don't see them as equals?

State of equipment, quality of seating, taste of food, overall cleanliness, professionalism of staff, etc.

And also mention the class you flew in (EVA has an upgraded class with better seats for a bit more, KLM not).

Me to, and in my mind they are equals.

Maybe this discussion would move a bit forward if you would mind to explain WHY you don't see them as equals?
State of equipment, quality of seating, taste of food, overall cleanliness, professionalism of staff, etc.
And also mention the class you flew in (EVA has an upgraded class with better seats for a bit more, KLM not).

The plane s. Are same. In my opinion both Seats are fine klm and eva a like.
Food in klm is more european but liked both.

Flew both econemy and premium with eva. You get what you pay for.

If i book klm and want to change seat(
mostly i book months in advance).

You have to pay. ,with eva you can change as many times as you like

For example when went to toronto klm put me and traveling partner in the middle in a row of 4 with the 2 outer seats not occupied. One of us wanted to change to the free outer seat ... had to pay

If you want to go to comfort econemy That is just in econemy with a little more leg space you pay 70and up as i rember (correct me if i am wrong). And that s just for a one way

With eva i last time paid 150 for a return and .... wel look for your self at the specs for premium.

And then the personell... eva always friendly..

Klm well. They treat you as of i must thank them. To be allowed in there present.
Did not find them friendly.

The eva ground staf are from a handler. But there regular staff (only a few). Are so friendly and helpfull.

Another thing is eva is mostly cheaper (not always)

• Like 1

On 12/2/2017 at 2:19 PM, robin33 said:

Klm well. They treat you as of i must thank them. To be allowed in there present.

Okay, I understand your point. 

I normally never change seats so I've never run into the problems regarding that.

The point above I can confirm though; KLM staff has some of that arrogance in them that makes me dislike them right from the start. Most of the stewardesses are older than an old cheese and they want everybody to know who is the boss (hear them talk in the back of the plane in Dutch how they had to straigthen out some people because they didn't do exactly as they said). Compare that to EVA where the nimble ladies focus on the passengers and their well-being. Fly with Emirates and see how it is really done with friendliness. 

Only positive about it is that once people start to annoy fellow pessangers (getting drunk, being smelly, move seats before take-off to have several seats for themselves ignoring other people would also like that and might need it more due to issues), the Dutch staff will walk up to them and sort it out, while the EVA staff will ignore it and everybody will be left with the annoying behavior.

p.s. agree with the premium seats in EVA; love those as it costs only a little more and does give some extra comfort.

Edited by Bob12345

As an aside, I see China Airlines have started direct flights from TPE to LGW. I've noticed that EVA has had a growing number of Taiwanese passengers over the last year or so. Might have implications on prices for LHR - BKK.

EVA has been the ONLY carrier I flew on for my last 6 trips to Thailand.  A co-worker, a very large man clued me into their premium elite class.  Big seats, recline nicely, full foot rest, separate plane section, never had a baby crying in that section.  Dedicated check in counter at the airport (LAX, and BKK).  Never had to wait in line for anything.  Made the flight a joy and part of the vacation.  Take the midnight flight our of LAX, sleep 5 hours.  connect through Taiwan.  two meals on the LAX leg, one meal on the Taipei leg.  When the dust clears arrive BKK at 11 AM a perfect time to catch buses, or whatever during the day.  I bunched up my trips and could use my miles for discounts.  The price from coach to premium elite was about 500 difference and well worth it.  My last few trips cost me $1750 round trip.  A few times I changed return flights and had no problems. One had a small change fee, one did not.  The food was good.  The personal entertainment thing was fine.  The seas were 2 5 2 across.  I prefer the 2 in the aisle.  I found that seat did not have the box on the floor for that entertainment electronics stuff. 

Having said that, recently they seemed to have changed the 777 seats.  The premium Elite seats are now very different from what they used to be.  They don't seem to have complete foot rests.  They seem to have little things you put your heels into, almost like stirrups on a OBGYN table.  I haven't flown in t he last two years so this is just what I seem to see on Youtube.  And the prices seem to have gone up a bit. 

I might fly Cathay Pacific next time and pay more like, 2700 but go business class. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/2/2017 at 7:19 AM, robin33 said:

The plane s. Are same. In my opinion both Seats are fine klm and eva a like.
Food in klm is more european but liked both.

Flew both econemy and premium with eva. You get what you pay for.

If i book klm and want to change seat(
mostly i book months in advance).

You have to pay. ,with eva you can change as many times as you like

For example when went to toronto klm put me and traveling partner in the middle in a row of 4 with the 2 outer seats not occupied. One of us wanted to change to the free outer seat ... had to pay

If you want to go to comfort econemy That is just in econemy with a little more leg space you pay 70and up as i rember (correct me if i am wrong). And that s just for a one way

With eva i last time paid 150 for a return and .... wel look for your self at the specs for premium.

The eva ground staf are from a handler. But there regular staff (only a few). Are so friendly and helpfull.

Another thing is eva is mostly cheaper (not always)

Agree Eva is on a different planet compared to KLM.

Have to say when I last used them in July 2017 on one of their retrofitted 777's in economy it ranks as 1st in any trip to Thailand on any airline I have ever used to and from UK (26) and just under 170 round trips so taking into account double sectors on many trips plus non stops well over 500 flights. Well over

I understand though that some of the newer retrofits will and are 3-4-3 in economy

Edited by Chivas

Agree Eva is on a different planet compared to KLM.
Have to say when I last used them in July 2017 on one of their retrofitted 777's in economy it ranks as 1st in any trip to Thailand on any airline I have ever used to and from UK (26) and just under 170 round trips so taking into account double sectors on many trips plus non stops well over 500 flights. Well over

I understand though that some of the newer retrofits will and are 3-4-3 in economy
Had to book klm today (eva plane was full) normally if I book eva you get an assigned Seat but can change many times if Chaires are emoties. Today i booked klm no assigned Seat. Not even a clue where in the plane. So I have to pay 20 extra for a Seat change. I m travelling with a 12 year old girl so do not want here to site alone.

We are with 4 so 80 euro added to the tickets price and another 80 for return trip.

Then i wanted to pay... They charge 25 for a cc payment and funky enough also if you pay with there own flying Blue card. ..... Miss eva already

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Moto G (5) Plus met Tapatalk

Every time over the yyears i have had to take klm intead of eva 1 time for the price.. all the other times eva was cheaper than klm.

But i think the results of my booking proves people like eva better. There are 2 direct flights from ams to bkk. Eva was fully booked. (And a lot of dutch do not even know eva. And the dutch airline klm . Where on the same day 85 prc of the plane is still empty.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

On 06/01/2018 at 8:12 AM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Eva is not cheap. Every airline has a sale once in a while, that's why the rates might be cheap now.

To say Eva is not cheap is misleading, flying from Amsterdam to Bangkok direct return for this January at their cheapest Eva could be had for €585 KLM would be at least €150 more at their cheapest.have seen airoflot for under €500 they were the cheapest with a stopover.I can only comment on the Amsterdam flights.

To say Eva is not cheap is misleading, flying from Amsterdam to Bangkok direct return for this January at their cheapest Eva could be had for €585 KLM would be at least €150 more at their cheapest.have seen airoflot for under €500 they were the cheapest with a stopover.I can only comment on the Amsterdam flights.

And take in account. You only now your seat 30 hours in advance. Instead of almost immidiate . So If you absolute want to sit with your travel companion it is another 20 euro per seat. Single journey. So. In best case if you anly have 1 other person its 40 euro for a single flight (for klm)

And luggage for eva econemy is 30kilo. Klm 23

1 minute ago, robin33 said:

And take in account. You only now your seat 30 hours in advance. Instead of almost immidiate . So If you absolute want to sit with your travel companion it is another 20 euro per seat. Single journey. So. In best case if you anly have 1 other person its 40 euro for a single flight

I always fly with Eva and choose my seat there and then.since China stopped their direct flights it's no contest between KLM and EVA. though looking at the app for my flight on Thursday I see they don't show my chosen seat on the return leg and I did choose it when I booked,says to choose it at the airport?

On 02/10/2017 at 8:58 AM, glasswort said:

Being the state airline of Taiwan Eva is fine. but personally I find nothing wrong with BA. Some may say that the majority of the female BA flight attendants are not exactly the most attractive in the world but that does not bother me in the least. As an aside,  a while ago my son was booked to travel with Eva from Taiwan where he lives, to UK via Bangkok. As a matter of interest I went through the booking process to join the same flight in Bangkok. My son paid the equivalent of THB 32,000 return but for me to join the same flight in Bangkok I was quoted almost THB 50,000 i.e. 50% more !!!! Ignoring the time element it would be cheaper for me to fly to Taipei from Bangkok (THB 10,500 return) and fly from there. Crazy or what.

As a British person I have no hesitation in saying that EVA Air is far superior to BA. BA have the worst staff attitude of any airline in the world. And expensive.

• 1 month later...

My problem with EVA from the US is that no matter what,  you are going to spend 2 hrs and 50 minutes transiting Taipei due to their Bangkok schedule

The other rub is that their "fare" restrictions force a full fare because any discounted fares have a 6 month return requirement