Overdue red licence plate drivers face Bt10,000 fine

snoop1130

Overdue red licence plate drivers face Bt10,000 fine

By Suriya Patathayo 
The Nation

05679385ac8931962487fb25b79e26c0.jpeg

Drivers of new vehicles with red licence plates face a fine of up to Bt10,000 if they do not acquire proper plates and pay vehicle taxes within 60 days of taking delivery of the car, according to a new traffic rule that took effect on October 1, police deputy spokesman Pol Colonel Krissana Pattanacharoen said on Monday.

The Land Transport Department can complete the car registration process for a proper plate within a day, police said. 

From January 1, any drivers who fail to register their vehicles within 30 days after taking delivery of a new car will face a fine up to Bt10,000, Krissana said.

According to the law, red licence plates are issued to car companies for temporary use on vehicles for sale or maintenance that are not yet subject to registration and taxes. 

Authorities have pledged to continue the stringent implementation of the vehicle registration law until the new law goes into effect.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30328273

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-10-2

Just now, taichiplanet said:

The problem is the car dealerships not doing the paperwork, so the dealer should be fined not the buyer. That way the dealer will not let a car go until it has the proper plates.

Yes, but a lot of times buyers themselves delay it in purpose until they can get the number they desire, due to superstitious and other voodoo reasons. 

22 minutes ago, taichiplanet said:

The problem is the car dealerships not doing the paperwork, so the dealer should be fined not the buyer. That way the dealer will not let a car go until it has the proper plates.

You can refuse to hand over the money till the car is registered with white plates, of course, 'your' car could be sitting on the dealer's back lot for weeks, but any dealer worth your business can get it done in a day or two if you wave the money around.

The delay in getting registration paper is that some dealers try to save on the messengers cost by only going to land transport office in bulk, and too often the cars won't get the needed paperwork (registration kit) from the factory because the dealer hasn't 'paid up' to Toyota or Honda or whatever the factory is. The factory would not release the 'registration kit' unless the dealer has cleared funds for the car, for cash purchase this is probably straightforward, but with finance involved they could give you the runaround for months.

Or you can even save yourself 50-100 baht dealer's fee by demanding the 'registration kit' and go to land transport office yourself to register the car, all could be done in a day and you go home with your plates in the afternoon. 

8 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

About time too; a woman at the end of our soi has been driving her 'new' Merc' around with red plates for more than three years as it 'looks good' to other people.   Just another example of Thai's living in a Parallel Universe !

It's a Merc?

I somehow doubt this law will be enforced against Mercedes owners....

Not sure how it works but as soon as I was told the white plates were ready that was when it was registered even if you went to collect 3 years  later it wont show as a newer model?

Saying that a neighbour bought a car last Christmas time still not changed from red plates.

I was stopped by the police the other day with red plates. 

The first guy tried to say I had no tax and tried to get cash out of me. A senior one came and noticed a badge on my radiator of a famous sports club in Bangkok and said he would let me off. I only had it for a week. Surely, straight from the dealership, it is taxed and insured properly?

41 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

The first guy tried to say I had no tax and tried to get cash out of me. A senior one came and noticed a badge on my radiator of a famous sports club in Bangkok and said he would let me off. I only had it for a week. Surely, straight from the dealership, it is taxed and insured properly?

What club if i may ask? 

As for the red plates, good on them. Though i think this might pump the price of those auction plates up.

The issuance of my white plates was a direct result of incompetence in Land Transport Kamphaeng Phet.... the “delay fine” was only 450 baht so I didn’t fuss.... but I can already hear my loud protests if it were 10,000 baht!!!

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Insured yes, taxed? not until you have the plate and registration book, hence the crackdown on 'red' temporary plate

What has the driver to do with the DLT incompetence ? LOL... Thai scam in full swing and the great PM has not reformed one thing. In my country you get your plate the same day lol. Nothing but a scan colluding with RTP. How long do Thai people have to wait for a real leader ?

21 hours ago, digbeth said:

You can refuse to hand over the money till the car is registered with white plates, of course, 'your' car could be sitting on the dealer's back lot for weeks, but any dealer worth your business can get it done in a day or two if you wave the money around.

The delay in getting registration paper is that some dealers try to save on the messengers cost by only going to land transport office in bulk, and too often the cars won't get the needed paperwork (registration kit) from the factory because the dealer hasn't 'paid up' to Toyota or Honda or whatever the factory is. The factory would not release the 'registration kit' unless the dealer has cleared funds for the car, for cash purchase this is probably straightforward, but with finance involved they could give you the runaround for months.

Or you can even save yourself 50-100 baht dealer's fee by demanding the 'registration kit' and go to land transport office yourself to register the car, all could be done in a day and you go home with your plates in the afternoon. 

Save 50 to 100 baht, 2 to 4 dollars by taking a day to do it yourself.  Fair dinkum, are people that hard up?  My day is certainly worth more than that to me.  I bought my vehicle in Loei, wanted BKK plates, took 3 months.  Had red plates and log book during that time, never had a problem but if the law changes, then obey it.

The one aspect that really irks me is the no plate release of a new vehicle.  These clowns drive like maniacs and if they have a slight accident how is one supposed to seek redress if they cannot identify the offender is they fail to stop.  I now have front and rear dash cams, saves a lot of angst. :wai:

the red plates are as good as no plate in identifying vehicle, due to shortages, many that the dealers give out are fakes, or two real plates shared between two cars with two fake plates to go on the other half, or the real log book with fake plates...

the new law essentially got rid of the red plate and makes it more urgent to get proper plates put on a car before it is driven off the showroom

14 minutes ago, digbeth said:

the red plates are as good as no plate in identifying vehicle, due to shortages, many that the dealers give out are fakes, or two real plates shared between two cars with two fake plates to go on the other half, or the real log book with fake plates...

the new law essentially got rid of the red plate and makes it more urgent to get proper plates put on a car before it is driven off the showroom

I don't know how you have been able to determine this, that is the fake plates, maybe it happens, maybe it doesn't, I don't know.  But given that the dealer I used is high profile, issued a log book, a receipt for the monies that I had to pay as a deposit, then he wold be risking his business's credibility and leave himself open to all sorts of redress should he act illegally.  IMO.   :wai: 

4 hours ago, Jamestaylor said:

What club if i may ask? 

As for the red plates, good on them. Though i think this might pump the price of those auction plates up.

The royal Bangkok sports club, which has a badge with a crown on it, showing that it is royal endorsed. 

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:   well, my neighbor's wife drives a  Mercedes with Red Plates, and he  drives a Ford Ranger with Red Plates both have been driving with them for over a year.........this is another law, rule, that can't or won't be enforced..............there are a large number of vehicles being driven with these plates.  Good luck getting any of that fine money