Requirement to notify immigration Office after arrival

I am sorry if this has been asked before but I know things change.

1. I have just arrived back in Thailand from a visit to the UK.
  2. My visa type is extension based on retirement.
  3. I know I have to report to my local  IO (Jomtien) in 90 days.
  4. I am living at the same address as when I last reported to the IO  - My permanent address in Thailand
  5. It is the same address as I wrote in my Arrival card. 
  6. My question is: Do I have to report to the IO now, as in ASAP to notify them of my arrival.
  7. Should the Condo Manage/Juristic person have to report my arrival back in the condo?
  8. I have never reported to immigration in such circumstances before, only for 90 day reporting .
  9. If such an action had to be taken I assumed my condo manager had done it. Is this a wrong assumption?

Thanks in advance for any advice

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, The manic said:
  1. My question is: Do I have to report to the IO now, as in ASAP to notify them of my arrival.
  2. Should the Condo Manage/Juristic person have to report my arrival back in the condo?
  3. If such an action had to be taken I assumed my condo manager had done it. Is this a wrong assumption?

Thanks in advance for any advice

1. You might as well report to the IO ASAP. 

2. The Condo manager/juristic person cant be bothered to report your arrival; are they aware of your arrival so that they would feel obligated to report it to the IO? Personally I think the responsibility is yours.

3 Yes

Am just a rookie so literally my 2 cents worth.

Might as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No. Never get needlessly involved with Bureaucracy unless obliged to. Thanks for the input but I need an expert to tell me my legal obligations. I have never had to do this before but we have a new condo manager who is not lazy at all but might not know the ropes as well as the last one did. As I have not changed my address I doubt I have to report but would like confirmation or otherwise from an old hand. Thanks for your views and time.

• Haha 1

When is your next reporting due? 

FYI the 90 day report can be done online.

The link is here: https://extranet.immigration.go.th/fn90online/online/tm47/TM47Action.do

Thanks to Ubonjoe

But am afraid I cant tell if you have to do it before you are due for the next reporting or now that you are back.

Edited by Aditi Sharma
more info from research

ubonjoe on Sept 26 wrote this:

There is a 15 to 7 days window before your report date you can submit the application online. Anytime within that window would give you enough time to do the report in person or contact your local office about the pending online report.
The new 90 days starts from the date the report is approved which is the same as doing a report in person.

On Sept 27 he commented:

There is really no excuse for doing the reports late since you have a window of 15 days before or 7 days after the report date to do them. You can also do them by mail if you cannot do the online reporting.
The standard fine for not reporting or being late is 2000 baht but they could fine you up to the maximum fine of 5000 baht and if they wanted to they could charge an additional fine of 200 baht a day.

Hope this adds to your knowledge.

28 minutes ago, Aditi Sharma said:

The link is here: https://extranet.immigration.go.th/fn90online/online/tm47/TM47Action.do

Thanks to Ubonjoe

But am afraid I cant tell if you have to do it before you are due for the next reporting or now that you are back.

if you leave the country the 90 day reporting resets (so 90 days after entering the country)

The online link hardly ever works.

There have been many threads on this topic lately. I've seen the signs at Chonburi Immigration. It is a new obligation.  

If you want answers regarding how long you have to be out of the country before reporting back becomes necessary when you return - there are none.  There are lots of different theories and it seems that different offices have different policies on this. The problem is some of these offices may change their policy on a daily basis depending on who you see.

This has nothing to do with the condo manager. It's an obligation that you must fulfill personally. Once your condo manager has reported you on a TM30 form when you initially moved in, he has done his duty. Unless you report to him, how would he know who's going overseas trips?

If you've been out of the country I would recommend you make a trip to report your return. The "might as well" answer you didn't like is right on the money IMO. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

if you leave the country the 90 day reporting resets (so 90 days after entering the country)

The online link hardly ever works.

Do folks do border runs to reset their 90 day reporting as well? Just asking.

The online link works fine in Mumbai ;-)

8 minutes ago, Aditi Sharma said:

Is a TM30 required at every reporting?

No - and when it is required varies by office, with some not enforcing it at all.  But, generally, every time you leave the country and/or are away from your reported-residence to another province for more than 24 hours, it is (supposed to be) required.  Again, though, every office makes up their own enforcement-rules.

So, if you check into a hotel somewhere, they report you - then you return, and Immigration sees you were away via that report.  Similarly, when leaving the country and returning, most immigration procedures require a copy of your passport-stamps and/or TM-6 - so that will show them you left and returned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aditi Sharma said:

Thanks to Ubonjoe

But am afraid I cant tell if you have to do it before you are due for the next reporting or now that you are 

Edited by The manic

Thanks to Ubonjoe

Not relevant. I know I have to report in 90 days. This was not my question.

46 minutes ago, Aditi Sharma said:

ubonjoe on Sept 26 wrote this:

There is a 15 to 7 days window before your report date you can submit the application online. Anytime within that window would give you enough time to do the report in person or contact your local office about the pending online report.
The new 90 days starts from the date the report is approved which is the same as doing a report in person.

On Sept 27 he commented:

There is really no excuse for doing the reports late since you have a window of 15 days before or 7 days after the report date to do them. You can also do them by mail if you cannot do the online reporting.
The standard fine for not reporting or being late is 2000 baht but they could fine you up to the maximum fine of 5000 baht and if they wanted to they could charge an additional fine of 200 baht a day.

Hope this adds to your knowledge.

Not relevant. I am not talking about my 90 day reporting. Please desist from confusing the issue.

Thanks to Ubonjoe

Please stop .

53 minutes ago, tropo said:

There have been many threads on this topic lately. I've seen the signs at Chonburi Immigration. It is a new obligation.  

If you want answers regarding how long you have to be out of the country before reporting back becomes necessary when you return - there are none.  There are lots of different theories and it seems that different offices have different policies on this. The problem is some of these offices may change their policy on a daily basis depending on who you see.

This has nothing to do with the condo manager. It's an obligation that you must fulfill personally. Once your condo manager has reported you on a TM30 form when you initially moved in, he has done his duty. Unless you report to him, how would he know who's going overseas trips?

If you've been out of the country I would recommend you make a trip to report your return. The "might as well" answer you didn't like is right on the money IMO. 

I moved here two years ago. I always tell my condo manager when i am going away regarding, water, electricity and er...immigration matters.  I have not changed address. I have completed my arrival form at immigration when I arrived. " Might as well" is not a sensible option. I will go if required. I just wish I could get accurate advice. Has the rule changed in the last 6 weeks? ***** Am I obliged to report to my local IO 24 hours after leaving the airport? *****That is my question. Thanks all for relevant input.

Edited by The manic

I am unclear why the issue of 90 day reporting has arisen. I know I have to report in 90 days.  The issue I want clarifying in the context of the original information I submitted when starting this thread: Am I obliged to report to my local IO 24 hours after leaving the airport having just returned to the country to my permanent residence?  

Just now, The manic said:

I moved here two years ago. I always tell my condo manager when i am going away regarding, water, electricity and er...immigration matters.  I have not changed address. I have completed my arrival form at immigration when I arrived. " Might as well" is not a sensible option. I will go if required. I just wish I could get accurate advice. Has the rule changed in the last 6 weeks? ***** Am I obliged to report to my local IO 24 hours after leavingbthe airport? *****That is my question. Thanks all for relevant input.

I'm very aware of your question. Instead of getting frustrated by answers you don't want to hear, how about you do a search and read some of the many long threads that have covered this exact topic over the last 5 or so months. Try the Pattaya forum - there was a very long thread there.

"might as well" IS your best answer and the closest you will get to the facts that you crave. You were given the best answer you're going to get in my last post.

I'll tell you what mate, as someone who has read all the threads on this topic and seen the sign that they have posted at the Chonburi office explaining that you have to report within 24 hours (I even went to the trouble of posting a photo of this sign), I would report within 24 hours. People have been fined already for not reporting.

The whole idea of "might as well", could save you a fine. If you don't need to report, they will tell you when you go there. The other option is that you will be fined. It's up to you!

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, tropo said:

The whole idea of "might as well", could save you a fine. If you don't need to report, they will tell you when you go there. The other option is that you will be fined. It's up to you!

Tropo, can you tell me if he needs to go to his IO now. And what he needs to carry with him. 

And this to OP: why dont you want to do the process online?

Please respond guys. Thanks

1 hour ago, tropo said:

You're right but who would check this kind of bureaucratic nonsense?

If you haven't changed your address, why would you report the same address that 1) you are declaring on your arrival card (and for now, foreigners still have to fill them in though Thai citizens were recently made exempt) 2) you have already declared at your 90 day reports and perhaps also on the TM30 form.

Does Thai immigration have some kind of computer glitch that appears every time some expat crosses the border? There are expats I know who leave Thailand every single week on a short overseas trip, say to Vietnam for 2-3 days - they have done this for years. I highly, highly doubt they have ever bothered reporting their very same address again just because of the incompetence of Thai immigration.

46 minutes ago, jimster said:

You're right but who would check this kind of bureaucratic nonsense?

If you haven't changed your address, why would you report the same address that 1) you are declaring on your arrival card (and for now, foreigners still have to fill them in though Thai citizens were recently made exempt) 2) you have already declared at your 90 day reports and perhaps also on the TM30 form.

Does Thai immigration have some kind of computer glitch that appears every time some expat crosses the border? There are expats I know who leave Thailand every single week on a short overseas trip, say to Vietnam for 2-3 days - they have done this for years. I highly, highly doubt they have ever bothered reporting their very same address again just because of the incompetence of Thai immigration.

If you don't want to report your re-entry to immigration within 24 hours, that's your decision. (read the notice I posted above).

The point is it's a new requirement. I don't make the rules. If you make the trip to IO, you won't be fined. If you don't, you may be fined. It's your decision to comply or not. There's no point complaining about it.

16 minutes ago, tropo said:

LOL> I have no recollection of who you are, when I replied to you or what it was about. Judging by your puerile response here, you're very forgettable.

Feast your eyes on this. Pay careful attention to the red print. 

(Hopefully, this will clear up any confusion you have over the real topic of this thread. Probably it won't, but I'll give it one last try: This notice was posted earlier this year at the Jomtien Immigration Office)

59d4faea7346a_Officialimmigrationnotice.jpg.63c8a523cbb7a35dc0a22154f10134ad.jpg

My interpretation is if one is returning to the address that is already registered and on file as the home address (home address given for extension applications) then there's no need to run to the Immigration office and report. If one returns and is NOT staying at that address and it is not a hotel or guesthouse, then you must inform local Immigration of the new address, be it a temporary or a full relocation.

I think that "every time" in red is buggering up the whole thing and actually means "every time you stay at a non-registered or new address".

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

My interpretation is if one is returning to the address that is already registered and on file as the home address (home address given for extension applications) then there's no need to run to the Immigration office and report. If one returns and is NOT staying at that address, then you must inform local Immigration of the new address, be it a temporary or a full relocation.

Sound logic....

But ...... a friend was told by local officials that after a 4 day break to Pattaya he must report his return to them within 24 hours.

I have a home in Buriram and a condo in Jomtien. The first officer I asked said I must do likewise whenever I retu4ned from Jomtien. (and also report in 24 hours if staying in Jomtien) - another IO said that wasn’t necessary if the Buriram address was registered with them - and by the same token there was no need to report to Jomtien if the condo was registered down there.

10 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

My interpretation is if one is returning to the address that is already registered and on file as the home address (home address given for extension applications) then there's no need to run to the Immigration office and report. If one returns and is NOT staying at that address, then you must inform local Immigration of the new address, be it a temporary or a full relocation.

Hence the pages and pages of theories presented on here.

There isn't any other way to interpret: "You must inform the housing at Immigration, every time when you arrive within 24 hours".

That's quite clear. You're suggesting they mean something else based on the context of the rest of the notice.

I take it, based on this and other posts you've made, that you won't be reporting within 24 hours when you return.

I will be. It's not a big inconvenience for me to go there and I don't go overseas often. I'd prefer to err on the side of caution... until more reports surface from Jomtien about how they are handling this.

Edited by tropo