Requirement to notify immigration Office after arrival

1 hour ago, tropo said:

Are you referring to the Jomtien office? I've been there a number of times over the last 6 months and have never been handed a pamphlet. Over the last 6 months, one visit was to report a change of address, another visit to renew my retirement extension and 2 more visits to report and a further visit to get a residence certificate. No pamphlets! I didn't even see the sign - I saw that posted on here.

I'm not sure if the sign is still up.  I think the pamphlet was also posted here, at some point - anyone have a link - I cannot find it?  The editing of the two laws on it to make them appear to be one law was not subtle.  This 'new enforcement' of the old law was reported back in 2016, before the set up the TM-30 "satellite office" downstairs:

1 hour ago, tropo said:

Even if pamphlets were given out, many who travel overseas often wouldn't go to the immigration office more than once a year to renew their extension.

Yes, if they travel often enough to avoid 90-day reporting.  And on that extension is when they may get hit with the TM-30 fine - though reports are not consistent on this.  Some get fined, some seem not to.  I don't know if there is a rhyme or reason to why.  Others have reported being unable to do their 90-day reporting without a current/valid TM-30.

1 hour ago, tropo said:

You claim to have observed many people being fined, going back quite a while. How do you see that? Do you hang out there, watch and question people?

No, I go to Immigration after every trip out of the country, and overnights to Bangkok (but not after day-trips), and to obtain extensions of stay.  When staying on Tourist Visas, that was 8 times/yr (4 reporting my return/TM-30, and 4 getting extensions of stay). 

In those visits, I have observed fines given, and observed those arguing sent "upstairs," then coming back to pay - all while in/around the little "TM-30" office they have set up (on the left when you enter, in the hall leading to the copy-machine).  Usually, the process is fairly quick, but at times there is a line going down the hall, so you get to observe a few cases while waiting for your copies, then waiting to be served. 

I am not claiming my anecdotal observations constitute a scientific sample, which is why I leave open the possibility that some may get warnings for violations (even though I haven't seen this happen).

3 hours ago, JackThompson said:

No, I go to Immigration after every trip out of the country, and overnights to Bangkok (but not after day-trips), and to obtain extensions of stay.  When staying on Tourist Visas, that was 8 times/yr (4 reporting my return/TM-30, and 4 getting extensions of stay). 

In those visits, I have observed fines given, and observed those arguing sent "upstairs," then coming back to pay - all while in/around the little "TM-30" office they have set up (on the left when you enter, in the hall leading to the copy-machine).  Usually, the process is fairly quick, but at times there is a line going down the hall, so you get to observe a few cases while waiting for your copies, then waiting to be served. 

I am not claiming my anecdotal observations constitute a scientific sample, which is why I leave open the possibility that some may get warnings for violations (even though I haven't seen this happen).

Here's my personal experience, so far:

In June, a month AFTER I changed addresses I reported my new address. I have no TM30 on record at this new address. I'm renting through a real estate agent and can't get the info from the Farang landlord that I need to complete the TM30 due to having no contact with him, so I didn't bother. The real estate agent couldn't help me either. I presented the completed form (I think TM28) with supporting documents (real estate contract) and that was it. There was no mention about a TM30. I also reported on this same day with my new address. A month later in July, I extended my retirement for another year. No mention of TM30. I've reported once since then and still no mention of a TM30.

I'm covered for any fines I may receive for non-compliance (TM30) by my real estate contract, that specifically states that the landlord pays (fines). I didn't ask for this - it just happened to be in the contract.

There was no queue in the "TM30 room" when I went there.

Over this time period, there was one trip to Bangkok - 3 nights in a hotel. That was before I applied for my retirement extension, so the hotel would have reported me away from my usual address.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

....so I coming in Sunday and my address through twenty years are already on the TM 6. but the following Monday I'm supposed to do an "alias" 90 day report at Immigration....:huh:.I'm one... the next months comes thousand a day in at Suvarnabhumi.... no this I believe is some few people encounter meeting a IO with a bad "hair day" making some extra demands:unsure::smile:

3 hours ago, Felt 35 said:

....so I coming in Sunday and my address through twenty years are already on the TM 6. but the following Monday I'm supposed to do an "alias" 90 day report at Immigration....:huh:.I'm one... the next months comes thousand a day in at Suvarnabhumi.... no this I believe is some few people encounter meeting a IO with a bad "hair day" making some extra demands:unsure::smile:

Although the wording of the relevant laws would seem to apply to everyone, most people entering Thailand never apply for extensions-of-stay or even set-foot in an Immigration office.  Some longer-stayers use ME type visas to avoid dealing with their local immigration-offices.  Some have TM-30s filed on their behalf by hotels or guesthouses.  In short, those who do not use the services of their local-immigration office do not need to worry about this at all, because it is not enforced when entering/leaving the country.

Those who do need to use the services of their local-immigration office are the only ones who may (or not) need to file TM-30s or TM-30 updates, under varying circumstances, depending on the current policies of their local immigration office,  to avoid fines.

10 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Although the wording of the relevant laws would seem to apply to everyone, most people entering Thailand never apply for extensions-of-stay or even set-foot in an Immigration office.  Some longer-stayers use ME type visas to avoid dealing with their local immigration-offices.  Some have TM-30s filed on their behalf by hotels or guesthouses.  In short, those who do not use the services of their local-immigration office do not need to worry about this at all, because it is not enforced when entering/leaving the country.

Those who do need to use the services of their local-immigration office are the only ones who may (or not) need to file TM-30s or TM-30 updates, under varying circumstances, depending on the current policies of their local immigration office,  to avoid fines.

"Those who do need to use the services of their local-immigration office are the only ones who may (or not) need to file TM-30s or TM-30 updates, under varying circumstances, depending on the current policies of their local immigration office,  to avoid fines"

Where is the Immigration act which state that if you have been abroad and have a extension based on retirement you have to re-report your address at Immigration in your province in 24 hour when its already reported at arrival and its only 90 days to your next 90 day report and address is not changed since this address reporting started.

1 hour ago, Felt 35 said:

"

Where is the Immigration act which state that if you have been abroad and have a extension based on retirement you have to re-report your address at Immigration in your province in 24 hour when its already reported at arrival and its only 90 days to your next 90 day report and address is not changed since this address reporting started.

I don't think your address is logged  into the immigration data base when you arrive in Thailand.

5 hours ago, Felt 35 said:

"Those who do need to use the services of their local-immigration office are the only ones who may (or not) need to file TM-30s or TM-30 updates, under varying circumstances, depending on the current policies of their local immigration office,  to avoid fines"

I would not venture to debate the intent of the law, as written.  All that seems to matter is what we are asked/told to do. 

Here is a picture of the sign which was up at Jomtien.  Notice the wording they highlighted in red:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/967547-immigration-charging-for-tm30/?do=findComment&comment=11597471

The TM-6 filled out on entry should, in my perfect world, be "reporting to a competent official" - but given many of us have been told to report to immigration upon re-arrival at our same-residences, I will keep doing so to avoid any trouble, unless or until they tell me I don't need to, anymore.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

I don't think your address is logged  into the immigration data base when you arrive in Thailand.

My experience is that it is. Do you remember the Paris bombing about 2-3 years ago! Due to property in Europe which needed mainetance I left for home just two days before the bombing happened and returned 4 days after it happened. The day after returning to Thailand, civil clothed Police come to check and interview me about why I went out that periode and returned so quickly.They referred to the address on Tm 6 when asked how they could locate me. Will add that I certainly did not have anything with the Paris bombing to do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JackThompson said:

I would not venture to debate the intent of the law, as written.  All that seems to matter is what we are asked/told to do. 

Here is a picture of the sign which was up at Jomtien.  Notice the wording they highlighted in red:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/967547-immigration-charging-for-tm30/?do=findComment&comment=11597471

The TM-6 filled out on entry should, in my perfect world, be "reporting to a competent official" - but given many of us have been told to report to immigration upon re-arrival at our same-residences, I will keep doing so to avoid any trouble, unless or until they tell me I don't need to, anymore.

The TM 6 is as perfect as it can be in the Immigration world :smile:

A related question.  if I have visitors for say a week, do I need to fill in a TM30 at Immigration for them, as they are staying in my house, or is their declaration on arrival on the TM6 sufficient for Immigration purposes.  I can't seem to get an answer on this, as some say don't bother and others that I need to do it.   

12 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I can't seem to get an answer on this, as some say don't bother and others that I need to do it.   

I would say don't bother with it unless they will need to do something at immigration.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Felt 35 said:

My experience is that it is. Do you remember the Paris bombing about 2-3 years ago! Due to property in Europe which needed mainetance I left for home just two days before the bombing happened and returned 4 days after it happened. The day after returning to Thailand, civil clothed Police come to check and interview me about why I went out that periode and returned so quickly.They referred to the address on Tm 6 when asked how they could locate me. Will add that I certainly did not have anything with the Paris bombing to do.

Interesting story,  you obviously triggered something the day you returned,   and they

got your Tm 6 out or maybe they already had your address on computer from previous paper work,   at your local immigration office. ?

Maybe people in a back room are typing our details in for immigration at a latter date,   maybe someone knows the answer to this ?

But i'm sure at the time of entry to Thailand the immigration guy in front of you is not typing your address in,  maybe i'm wrong, anyone ?

On 10/5/2017 at 12:43 AM, Roger Lee said:

I'm coming back to Jomtien after leaving for a few months and I have a reentry permit stamp for Non O based on Retirement.  

Based on what I've read all I need is and I'll quote a previous poster.

"When I reported returning to the same address to Jomtien, I did not need to re-fill a new TM-30, provide a condo-letter (juristic person), copy of lease, etc - just passport photos (main-page,  latest stamp), TM-6, and copy of my previous TM-30 passport-slip."

I'll be arriving late night so I'll have all the next day to gather my needed stuff and report to Chon Buri Immigration, on business days.

My question is, am I good to go doing this?

Thanks

Update from earlier today at Chon Buri Immigration.  I went with the above items mentioned and was handed a check list and a blank TM30 by the front desk.  Unfortunately I was missing the filled out TM30, lease agreement, the owner's house book and his ID card.  Based on the overfull room shortly before lunch I decided to wait until about 2pm before returning.

I returned with all of the required items on the check list and saw the lady about 5 minutes after my arrival at 2pm.  She kept the new TM30 form and items 1-4 on the check list.  Items 5-7 were handed back as I had my previous receipt for the TM30 which is the same residence.  No change in residence.

Immigration Check List.jpg

Edited by Roger Lee

5 minutes ago, Roger Lee said:

Update from earlier today at Chon Buri Immigration.  I went with the above items mentioned and was handed a check list by the front desk.  Unfortunately I was missing the filled out TM30, lease agreement, the owner's house book and his ID card.  Based on the overfull room shortly before lunch I decided to wait until about 2pm before returning.

I returned with all of the required items on the check list and saw the lady about 5 minutes after my arrival at 2pm.  She kept the new TM30 form and items 1-4 on the check list.  Items 5-7 were handed back as I had my previous receipt for the TM30 which is the same residence.  No change in residence.

Immigration Check List.jpg

I changed my address recently but couldn't apply for a TM30 due to not having or able to get #6. They didn't ask for a TM30. I hadn't left Thailand but was merely reporting a change of address.

27 minutes ago, tropo said:

I changed my address recently but couldn't apply for a TM30 due to not having or able to get #6. They didn't ask for a TM30. I hadn't left Thailand but was merely reporting a change of address.

I'm certainly no expert as it seems the requirements change with every visit even with the same laws on the books.

Anyway, I believe the TM 28 form is used for a change of residence.  Of course I would check with your local immigration office first as they might be interpeting the law a little different there and who knows, maybe there's an updated check list for TM 28's.

Edited by Roger Lee
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Roger Lee said:

I'm certainly no expert as it seems the requirements change with every visit even with the same laws on the books.

Anyway, I believe the TM 28 form is used for a change of residence.  Of course I would check with your local immigration office first as they might be interpeting the law a little different there and who knows, maybe there's an updated check list for TM 28's.

I used the same office as you at Jomtien. This was early June. I intended to submit a TM30 form and read the same list you posted here. I went back to my real estate agent, but he couldn't help me with #6, so I didn't bother and just submitted the TM28. Perhaps this could be a problem if I exit Thailand and come back to report.

• Thanks 1

On 04/10/2017 at 8:50 PM, Aditi Sharma said:

Tropo, can you tell me if he needs to go to his IO now. And what he needs to carry with him. 

And this to OP: why dont you want to do the process online?

Please respond guys. Thanks

I am happy to do my 90 day reporting in any manner that is available. I am not asking about 90 day reporting. I am trying to ascertain if there is any obligation to report to the authorities shortly after arrival. There is not. It is an erroneous idea that I picked up from confused threads written over the last few years on related subjects. I started this thread for purposes of clarification so as to prevent a needless visit to the IO.

On 04/10/2017 at 8:32 PM, tropo said:

I'm very aware of your question. Instead of getting frustrated by answers you don't want to hear, how about you do a search and read some of the many long threads that have covered this exact topic over the last 5 or so months. Try the Pattaya forum - there was a very long thread there.

"might as well" IS your best answer and the closest you will get to the facts that you crave. You were given the best answer you're going to get in my last post.

I'll tell you what mate, as someone who has read all the threads on this topic and seen the sign that they have posted at the Chonburi office explaining that you have to report within 24 hours (I even went to the trouble of posting a photo of this sign), I would report within 24 hours. People have been fined already for not reporting.

The whole idea of "might as well", could save you a fine. If you don't need to report, they will tell you when you go there. The other option is that you will be fined. It's up to you!

Sorry I missed the photo. 24 hours from what? Tell you what though matey. There is no point getting impatient with people who expect a modicum of pertinence and relevance in the responses supplied. This thread was nevef about 90 day reporting anymore than it was about food, football or any other irrelevant subjects. I look forward to seeing your photograph.

4 minutes ago, The manic said:

There is no point getting impatient with people who expect a modicum of pertinence and relevance in the responses supplied

Please run that by me again in English and explain what relevance it has to my post. I've not discussed 90-day reporting in this thread.

If you want to see the photo, please go back in the thread and look for it. I've posted it twice on this forum and I'm not going to keep doing it. As it happens I had to restore my computer and lost it.

I did my 90 day report last week at CW, I didn't report to them within 24 hours of moving to Thailand.

I had no problems what so ever.

I had far more important things to do in the first day I was here other than running to CW.

So no its probably not something you have to do or are expected to do.

I didn't do it. I had no problem.

• Thanks 1

To the OP .... I'd be inclined to just visit Immi asap and do the TM30 and get the damn thing out of the way. Costs nothing, except a little time and petrol. At least then you know for sure that you're legal.

Is interesting to read different requirements at Immi offices.

Last week I visited Buriram Immi to do TM30. Quite literally, all I took was my passport and 1 copy of my wife's ID.

IO .... "wife not come with you ?"

Me .... "no, she busy."

IO ..... "you can call her. I say hello she."

The IO talked for 2 minutes on the phone with my wife, verifying that I actually lived with her.

He typed everything into Immi computer, gave me a receipt to acknowledge my TM30 visit, then smilingly said "see you in 90 days."

Was really simple. 10 minutes finished. Zero paperwork. Was a nice example of how uncomplicated a visit to Immi can be.

• 2 months later...
On 10/4/2017 at 8:32 PM, The manic said:

I am unclear why the issue of 90 day reporting has arisen. I know I have to report in 90 days.  The issue I want clarifying in the context of the original information I submitted when starting this thread: Am I obliged to report to my local IO 24 hours after leaving the airport having just returned to the country to my permanent residence?  

And the answer is no.  Not in Pattaya. You do not have to report to your local immigration department after travelling abroad or travelling out of your province. But you must inform immigration in the correct way within 24 of changing address/moving home to another permanent location. Hotels and guest house are temporary and you are registered when you check  in and out. I recently did my first 90 day renewal having been in Europe and Bangkok. I had also traveled around Thailand to places where I was registered by the hotel and places where they did not bother. At the IO in Soi 5 Chom tien there was no issue at all. What was more interesting was the long queue to get in which reached back to the soi. However the queue moved rapidly and once inside I was processed within minutes. I was told Mondays and Fridays are always more busy. Also notable was 'paddy wagon' in the queue with probable over-stayers I guess - all asian except one large European Guy. That was my experience in late December a couple of weeks ago. So to reiterate: leaving your RESIDENCE to travel abroad or visit other parts of Thailand does not count as changing your address. That's my take on it based on personal experience which has been consistent over the the last 3 years.

On 10/12/2017 at 11:52 PM, Roger Lee said:

Thanks for your input. So what is a TM 30 and #6 referred to in this thread? BTW one of my friends went to his IO to report that he had just arrived back in the country and was told to 'come back in 90 days'

Perhaps the name of the various offices should be included in the topic titles on this forum, then readers who don't use that office wouldn't need to concern themselves with that post.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

10 hours ago, The manic said:

And the answer is no.  Not in Pattaya. You do not have to report to your local immigration department after travelling abroad or travelling out of your province.

That is not 100% correct. For the most part of 2017, you definitely DID have to report your return to the regular registered address after having left the kingdom. In April 2017, I did exactly that, and was almost fined 4.000 Baht, because I only went to the Jomtien immi office 5 days after re-entering Thailand. But I had stayed in BKK a few days upon arrival and could produce an online reservation confirmation which was sufficient to avoid the fine.

But while waiting in line, I witnessed how others had to pay 4K Baht fine as they did NOT report their return within 24 hours. At that time, there was a huge sign at the entrance to that small section of the office, reading "Reporting return to the kingdom" so people knew where to queue.

As of 2018, this requirement has obviously been dropped (thankfully!). They may have realized they cannot handle the daily assault of "reporters" creating a chaos in that tiny sardine can part of the office every day.

I was one of the probably Thousands of Expats who returned to the country in the time frame of Dec 29 - Jan 2, when the immi offices were closed for five days. In order to keep my sheet at Thai immigration clean, I nevertheless showed up at the first day after re-opening on Jan 3 (and yes, it was not only a zoo, but the godfather of all zoos) and queued up at the information counter (the queue covered much of the parking area all the way to Soi 5).

When I finally reached the desk (Kudos to the immi folks as the queue really moved quickly, despite a lot of foreigner-morons who came completely unprepared or/and behaved improperly), the officer at that desk basically sent me away. I told him I want to "report my return to the old registered address after leaving the kingdom", he then said "ONE YEAR - NO PROBLEM" (referring to the one-year-extension-of-stay stamp I showed him in my passport). At the same time I noticed that the sign I saw in April 2017 leading to the small section of the office where those case were being processed had disappeared as well. So, as of now (of course as we know, things can change in Thailand every day without much prior announcement) there seems to be no more such reporting requirement, but there definitely was in much of 2017.

Would be interesting to learn how the situation is as of 2018 in offices that are known to be overly strict CM comes to my mind)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Perhaps the name of the various offices should be included in the topic titles on this forum, then readers who don't use that office wouldn't need to concern themselves with that post.

Good point. Otherwise there is always going to be conflicting advice, especially when the main Bangkok Immigration office doesn't require the TM30!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, siam2007 said:

// I told him I want to "report my return to the old registered address after leaving the kingdom", he then said "ONE YEAR - NO PROBLEM" (referring to the one-year-extension-of-stay stamp I showed him in my passport). //

As far as I know, this has always been the policy at Jomtien Immigration.

I am on a Retirement Extension and never had to make a TM30

even if I exit the country at least once a year.

Same for all the friends I know on Retirement Extension too.

7 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

I did my 90 day report earlier today in Jomtien and as my Retirement Extension renewal is due again early april I asked the officer for the relevant TM7 form....he also gave me the TM 30 also,as I,ve lived here continuously for the past 4 years at the same address is it necessary that I should complete the TM30 also?

7 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

My landlord submitted a TM30 at an old address, but my current address is not TM30'd. As far as I'm aware it needs to be TM30'd, but like you, no one has asked for it yet and they didn't when I reported or extended my visa. I don't take this to mean I don't need to complete a TM30, only that so far I've slipped under the radar.

When I extended at Bangkok yesterday I signed three extra forms, one of them was entirely in Thai and was for a guarantor to fill out, at least she didn’t insist that I guarantee myself. Another was something about me stating that I knew the penalties for overstay. Who thinks this stuff up? I am on a retirement and have been for eleven years.
What I find irksome is that every year they treat you as though you are doing it for the first time when with all the information they have seen, they should be able to take the form, look at your bank books and passport amend your file and sign off on the extension. It took me two visits because my fixed account passbook was only six weeks old, I provided the details of that account last year and the figures were carried forward but they can’t look that up, knowing is not the same as having a photocopy of the page. They even took a photograph of me at the desk, that probably gets printed and added to my file none of which will be ever referred to again!