Requirement to notify immigration Office after arrival

22 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

My interpretation is if one is returning to the address that is already registered and on file as the home address (home address given for extension applications) then there's no need to run to the Immigration office and report. If one returns and is NOT staying at that address and it is not a hotel or guesthouse, then you must inform local Immigration of the new address, be it a temporary or a full relocation.

I think that "every time" in red is buggering up the whole thing and actually means "every time you stay at a non-registered or new address".

That`s the way its always been and I interpret it as that unless a sign coming up from the Immigration country wide on the airport and says different. And if you rent then this https://www.immigration.go.th/content/การแจ้งที่พักคนต่างด้าว

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sinbin said:

If you have a 'condo manager' it is his job to report to immigration for the TM30.

http://www.chiangmailocator.com/wiki-the-tm-30-form-all-you-need-to-know-about-it-and-why-it-matters-to-you-p172

They should, but they don't/won't, in many cases.  And if you want anything done at immigration, the fine must be paid and matter resolved, first - which leaves you on the hook, ultimately. 

Some have reported they will deduct their fine from rent, but I'm not sure how a property-owner could track when a lease-holder comes and goes to another province or makes a quick in/out - so "blame the owner" would only work (logically) for initial reporting upon move-in.  Even in that case, best to CYA and do it yourself unless you talk with the owner and verify they did it - preferably with a screen-shot or printout proving they did.

11 hours ago, NanLaew said:

My interpretation is if one is returning to the address that is already registered and on file as the home address (home address given for extension applications) then there's no need to run to the Immigration office and report. If one returns and is NOT staying at that address and it is not a hotel or guesthouse, then you must inform local Immigration of the new address, be it a temporary or a full relocation.

I think that "every time" in red is buggering up the whole thing and actually means "every time you stay at a non-registered or new address".

I have returned to the same residence and reported each time, and received a new TM-30 in my passport each time (Jomtien).  When you report to a different address, there is additional paperwork required. 

BUT - enforcement and rules vary By Immigration Office, and over-time at the same office - so everyone needs to find out what their office wants this month.

12 hours ago, jimster said:

If you haven't changed your address, why would you report the same address that 1) you are declaring on your arrival card (and for now, foreigners still have to fill them in though Thai citizens were recently made exempt) 2) you have already declared at your 90 day reports and perhaps also on the TM30 form.

Yes, the arrival-card would suffice in a logical world.  But, the short answer is: "Because they said so."   If you want to be sure - report.  If they tell you "you don't have to do this" at your office - great. 

I've been told repeatedly that what I did (reporting each time) was required, and I've watched others fined for not doing so.  But, again, enforcement-rules vary by office and over time at the same office. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

I have returned to the same residence and reported each time, and received a new TM-30 in my passport each time (Jomtien).  When you report to a different address, there is additional paperwork required. 

BUT - enforcement and rules vary By Immigration Office, and over-time at the same office - so everyone needs to find out what their office wants this month.

What aditional paper work do you meen ?
More than a TM 30 form ?

18 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

What aditional paper work do you meen ?
More than a TM 30 form ?

When I reported returning to the same address to Jomtien, I did not need to re-fill a new TM-30, provide a condo-letter (juristic person), copy of lease, etc - just passport photos (main-page,  latest stamp), TM-6, and copy of my previous TM-30 passport-slip. 

If reporting a new address, then you need all that and more - the list varying depending on which office.  Some offices may even want the whole stack for a same-address return - have to check with them to find out.

11 hours ago, tropo said:

Hence the pages and pages of theories presented on here.

There isn't any other way to interpret: "You must inform the housing at Immigration, every time when you arrive within 24 hours".

That's quite clear. You're suggesting they mean something else based on the context of the rest of the notice.

I take it, based on this and other posts you've made, that you won't be reporting within 24 hours when you return.

I will be. It's not a big inconvenience for me to go there and I don't go overseas often. I'd prefer to err on the side of caution... until more reports surface from Jomtien about how they are handling this.

It's harder to work out an accurate translation of their 'manglish' when they throw in arbitrary capital letters and possibly omit commas and/or full stops. IMO, the splash of red that they think makes the major point does exactly the opposite when taken in the context of the whole message.

"Shall stay at the place as indicated to the competent official" - I take to mean the address already claimed and accepted by Immigration (and in their database) as the registered address or place of actual, physical abode.

Accordingly, "Where there is a proper reason that cannot stay at the place as indicated to the competent official of the change in residence, within 24 hours from the time of removing to said place. You must inform the housing at immigration, (every time when you arrive within 24 hours.)

Keeping in mind that Thai is a language where the meaning is relatively clear in the written text, but meaning is largely inferred in the spoken form, translations must be fraught with bear traps! That banner does not look like any official translation from the edict that it mentions but it's possibly a translation of a paraphrased, spoken version?

But I wholeheartedly agree that it is only my interpretation and people should do as they see fit and best suits their situation. Since Jomtien Immigration is handy for you, then it's even easier to comply. Right now, I am pretty much all over the shop and reporting at various, different immigration offices up to twice a week is a laughable concept and just isn't practical.

Can an expert answer this:

1. Whether 90 day reporting automatically resets when I go abroad?

2. Lets say I did my last 90-day reporting on Sept 5 2017 and the very next day I flew to the UK and came back in the morning today. Should I head to my immigration office and tell them I was away in the UK between 06-09-2017 and 05-10-2017 not including the whole of the latter date.

Thanks will be in order.

Edited by Aditi Sharma
edit

10 minutes ago, Aditi Sharma said:

Can an expert answer this:

2. Lets say I did my last 90-day reporting on Sept 5 2017 and the very next day I flew to the UK and came back in the morning today. Should I head to my immigration office and tell them I was away in the UK between 06-09-2017 and 05-10-2017 not including the whole of the latter date.

Thanks will be in order.

1. Yes, of course, as you would not be in Thailand, 90 day reporting is for 90 consecutive days in the Kingdom.

2. Would depend on where you were located, some immigration offices require, some don't, so not possible to answer definitively.

29 minutes ago, Aditi Sharma said:

The 90-day count stops on the day you depart Thailand and resets on the day you re-enter Thailand. Based on your subsequent information, your next 90-day report will be due in early January if you remain in the country during all the interim time.

29 minutes ago, Aditi Sharma said:

No. But depending on the where your immigration office is, yes. As Mattd said, some seem pretty hard-nosed in enforcing this "re-entry/re-reporting" nonsense while others don't give a monkey's.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

No. But depending on the where your immigration office is, yes. Some seem pretty hard-nosed in enforcing this "re-entry/re-reporting" nonsense while others don't give a monkey's.

I hope you have answered the OP's question now.  

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

When I reported returning to the same address to Jomtien, I did not need to re-fill a new TM-30, provide a condo-letter (juristic person), copy of lease, etc - just passport photos (main-page,  latest stamp), TM-6, and copy of my previous TM-30 passport-slip. 

If reporting a new address, then you need all that and more - the list varying depending on which office.  Some offices may even want the whole stack for a same-address return - have to check with them to find out.

ok, i got you. 

I'm coming back to Jomtien after leaving for a few months and I have a reentry permit stamp for Non O based on Retirement.  

Based on what I've read all I need is and I'll quote a previous poster.

"When I reported returning to the same address to Jomtien, I did not need to re-fill a new TM-30, provide a condo-letter (juristic person), copy of lease, etc - just passport photos (main-page,  latest stamp), TM-6, and copy of my previous TM-30 passport-slip."

I'll be arriving late night so I'll have all the next day to gather my needed stuff and report to Chon Buri Immigration, on business days.

My question is, am I good to go doing this?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Roger Lee said:

I'm coming back to Jomtien after leaving for a few months and I have a reentry permit stamp for Non O based on Retirement.  

"When I reported returning to the same address to Jomtien, I did not need to re-fill a new TM-30, provide a condo-letter (juristic person), copy of lease, etc - just passport photos (main-page,  latest stamp), TM-6, and copy of my previous TM-30 passport-slip."

I'll be arriving late night so I'll have all the next day to gather my needed stuff and report to Chon Buri Immigration, on business days.

Thanks

Nobody knows for sure. There's a new office at Jomtien Immigration, to the left side of the info desk. You could help us all by going in there to report and letting us know what happens.

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

It's harder to work out an accurate translation of their 'manglish' when they throw in arbitrary capital letters and possibly omit commas and/or full stops. IMO, the splash of red that they think makes the major point does exactly the opposite when taken in the context of the whole message.

"Shall stay at the place as indicated to the competent official" - I take to mean the address already claimed and accepted by Immigration (and in their database) as the registered address or place of actual, physical abode.

Accordingly, "Where there is a proper reason that cannot stay at the place as indicated to the competent official of the change in residence, within 24 hours from the time of removing to said place. You must inform the housing at immigration, (every time when you arrive within 24 hours.)

Keeping in mind that Thai is a language where the meaning is relatively clear in the written text, but meaning is largely inferred in the spoken form, translations must be fraught with bear traps! That banner does not look like any official translation from the edict that it mentions but it's possibly a translation of a paraphrased, spoken version?

But I wholeheartedly agree that it is only my interpretation and people should do as they see fit and best suits their situation. Since Jomtien Immigration is handy for you, then it's even easier to comply. Right now, I am pretty much all over the shop and reporting at various, different immigration offices up to twice a week is a laughable concept and just isn't practical.

Yes, I do see your point if you move the sentence in red print back into the previous paragraph. I really hope you are right.

It's a shame you don't try it a few times (at different offices) just to let us know what happens. You could provide some valuable insight. If you are correct they will tell you that if you live at the same address previously indicated on the TM30 you don't need to report and send you on your way.

On 10/5/2017 at 10:53 AM, NanLaew said:

Depends...there really isn't (or shouldn't be) any difference between the written and spoken forms. All depends on how well one knows Thai and the level of formality used when speaking to one another in Thai. I think what you are referring to is the fact that most Thais speak very informally, whereas in formal writing (as opposed to LINE messages exchanged between friends and colleagues) Thai is written in a very formal and matter of fact way, using terminology that is rarely used in everyday parlance, except among news broadcasters. This very same technique is employed by speakers of German and various other languages.

As I pointed out in a previous reply, reporting the same address they already have on file EVERY time you come back from a quick 2 night trip across the border to say Cambodia is so ridiculous I can't believe it would ever be enforced. Would immigration really go through your passport to see when you entered the country to determine that you haven't re-registered?

Even if it can be done online (if 90-day reporting can be, then shouldn't the TM-30 reporting requirement also be able to be done online, or at least by mail) it's still not convenient, though it sure beats wasting time going to immigration. People do have to work, so I can't imagine a busy executive of a foreign multinational would have the time to waste half a day at Chaeng Wattana every single time after his weekly trips down to Singapore or up to Hong Kong. If this were seriously enforced, watch foreign multinationals pull their operations from Thailand or downsize them and replace their most important staff with locals - those with the real decision making power (foreign nationals) would no longer be based in Thailand. Of course I know that you can send someone else to do these things for you, but even then, it would still be a tedious thing.

22 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

Thanks

Do you have an existing TM-30 slip in your passport?  If so, you should be good to go, if you let them know you are returning to the same address which is on that form.  They should already have a copy of your lease or blue-book, etc, from the previous filing.

But, I would bring whatever you have available - it can't hurt.  I always come prepared with a copy of my lease and landlord-info copies - but I did not need it on my last "same address" TM-30 update. 

I have found they (in the TM-30 office) are polite and helpful to those trying to "do the right thing" by showing up right away to report.

Edited by JackThompson

1 hour ago, jimster said:

Depends...there really isn't (or shouldn't be) any difference between the written and spoken forms. All depends on how well one knows Thai and the level of formality used when speaking to one another in Thai. I think what you are referring to is the fact that most Thais speak very informally, whereas in formal writing (as opposed to LINE messages exchanged between friends and colleagues) Thai is written in a very formal and matter of fact way, using terminology that is rarely used in everyday parlance, except among news broadcasters. This very same technique is employed by speakers of German and various other languages.

Have you aced Thai, my man?

On 2017-10-04 at 2:47 PM, JackThompson said:

No - and when it is required varies by office, with some not enforcing it at all.  But, generally, every time you leave the country and/or are away from your reported-residence to another province for more than 24 hours, it is (supposed to be) required.  Again, though, every office makes up their own enforcement-rules.

So, if you check into a hotel somewhere, they report you - then you return, and Immigration sees you were away via that report.  Similarly, when leaving the country and returning, most immigration procedures require a copy of your passport-stamps and/or TM-6 - so that will show them you left and returned.

The hotel report within the country is only to be seen as a temporary report. Your TM30 will not have to be resubmitted.
The only time it needs to be resubmitted is when you leave the country. After you done that a couple of times, my Immigration office told me that it´s not neccessary no more.

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

The hotel report within the country is only to be seen as a temporary report. Your TM30 will not have to be resubmitted.
The only time it needs to be resubmitted is when you leave the country. After you done that a couple of times, my Immigration office told me that it´s not neccessary no more.

At some offices, if you are away from your reported-abode, and out of your home-province for 24+ hours, you need to return to immigration to report your return, and obtain a new TM-30 slip for your passport.  If not, when you go to immigration for a 90-day report or new extension, you could face a fine. 

All should check with their particular office to ask what the requirements are, currently, on this question.

4 hours ago, jimster said:

On 10/5/2017 at 10:53 AM, NanLaew said:

Here I was waiting for the best interpretation of the notice I posted and all you did was give us a lesson on the Thai language.

In your expert opinion, what is meant by the red print on said notice? Are we to take it literally or not? Does it depend on other factors or not?

3 hours ago, JackThompson said:

I have found they (in the TM-30 office) are polite and helpful to those trying to "do the right thing" by showing up right away to report.

Did you come to that conclusion after observing them to be rude and unhelpful to other people who didn't show up to "do the right thing"?

4 hours ago, jimster said:

As I pointed out in a previous reply, reporting the same address they already have on file EVERY time you come back from a quick 2 night trip across the border to say Cambodia is so ridiculous I can't believe it would ever be enforced. Would immigration really go through your passport to see when you entered the country to determine that you haven't re-registered?

Even if it can be done online (if 90-day reporting can be, then shouldn't the TM-30 reporting requirement also be able to be done online, or at least by mail) it's still not convenient, though it sure beats wasting time going to immigration. People do have to work, so I can't imagine a busy executive of a foreign multinational would have the time to waste half a day at Chaeng Wattana every single time after his weekly trips down to Singapore or up to Hong Kong. If this were seriously enforced, watch foreign multinationals pull their operations from Thailand or downsize them and replace their most important staff with locals - those with the real decision making power (foreign nationals) would no longer be based in Thailand. Of course I know that you can send someone else to do these things for you, but even then, it would still be a tedious thing.

Your logic doesn't work with Thai Immigration. They often do things that seem incomprehensible to the logical mind. What they do is a work in progress. They continually change things hoping they will find a way which works. It truly is a matter of "the left-hand doesn't know what the right-hand is doing".

At some offices, if you are away from your reported-abode, and out of your home-province for 24+ hours, you need to return to immigration to report your return, and obtain a new TM-30 slip for your passport.  If not, when you go to immigration for a 90-day report or new extension, you could face a fine. 

All should check with their particular office to ask what the requirements are, currently, on this question.

In theory, yes! As the rules say, yes!
How ever, if you are not going out of the country and the hotel is only temporary. My Immigration officer said it was not neccessary. Different as you say. :smile:

3 hours ago, tropo said:

Did you come to that conclusion after observing them to be rude and unhelpful to other people who didn't show up to "do the right thing"?

Yes - in two respects. 

With regard to the TM-30 office, in particular, they seem unwilling to listen to reason in the form of, "I've lived here for years and this was never mentioned before, and now I must pay a fine?" and "How were we supposed to know to do this?"  That only gets folks a trip to see the boss, with reported threats of a fine for every, single, instance where one has been away from home and returned without reporting going back years (before they ever requested TM-30s).  Then upon return downstairs, paying a fine to a less-pleasant person there.

In comparison to other desks/offices:  They are generally as nice and helpful as the Tourist-Visa desk, and much more polite and helpful than the desk whose job seems to be, "Invent reasons NOT to process a visa-conversion."

In comparison to other desks/offices:  They are generally as nice and helpful as the Tourist-Visa desk, and much more polite and helpful than the desk whose job seems to be, "Invent reasons NOT to process a visa-conversion."

How do they gain by being difficult? Or are they impolite unhelpful and difficult because they have nothing to gain from being the opposite?

5 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Yes - in two respects. 

With regard to the TM-30 office, in particular, they seem unwilling to listen to reason in the form of, "I've lived here for years and this was never mentioned before, and now I must pay a fine?" and "How were we supposed to know to do this?"  That only gets folks a trip to see the boss, with reported threats of a fine for every, single, instance where one has been away from home and returned without reporting going back years (before they ever requested TM-30s).  Then upon return downstairs, paying a fine to a less-pleasant person there.

Which office is this?

The guys saying "how were we supposed to know to do this" and "this was never mentioned before" are not really doing the wrong thing, and have every reason to ask those questions. Perhaps it's the way they ask that gets them in trouble. The only reason I know of this is from seeing threads about it on this forum. How are they supposed to know about this if they don't read this forum and catch the appropriate threads? I'm sure most people reading this thread are still in shock.

8 hours ago, tropo said:

Which office is this?

The guys saying "how were we supposed to know to do this" and "this was never mentioned before" are not really doing the wrong thing, and have every reason to ask those questions. Perhaps it's the way they ask that gets them in trouble. The only reason I know of this is from seeing threads about it on this forum. How are they supposed to know about this if they don't read this forum and catch the appropriate threads? I'm sure most people reading this thread are still in shock.

Yes, many are still posting "I just heard..." about this here.  As you are probably aware, any questioning of what one is told by officialdom here does not go down well.  Perhaps some folks got fee-free warnings, in the first weeks/months, but I saw folks paying fines from the beginning of this old-law's resurrection.

Likewise, the way heard of this (and I avoided being fined), was hearing about this requirement in this discussion-forum early-on - from people who were fined upon first hearing of it.  This was before the signs went up, and the pamphlets were handed out - pamphlets which combine two different immigration-rules (TM-30 and TM-28) with a cut/paste (not even a smooth edit), which appears intended to create the implication that foreigners are "on the hook" for TM-30 fines (which they are not, in many cases).

12 hours ago, Aditi Sharma said:

How do they gain by being difficult? Or are they impolite unhelpful and difficult because they have nothing to gain from being the opposite?

Two different primary reasons:

1. Foreigner is being fined for something they never heard about after staying here for years (TM-30) and following all instructions given up to that point.  They don't want to pay.  IO is told by boss to collect + foreigner believes they are being scammed = unfriendly conversation.

2. IO doesn't want to do their job ("conversions" at Jomtien, extensions at other offices), and modifies/improvises with the legal requirements to avoid doing their job.  Result: foreigner gets a visa from the MFA from a consulate abroad, in some cases (ex: ME Non-Os) legally avoiding not only their local immigration office for permissions-of-stay, but TM-30 + 90-day reporting, as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JackThompson said:

This was before the signs went up, and the pamphlets were handed out - pamphlets which combine two different immigration-rules (TM-30 and TM-28) with a cut/paste (not even a smooth edit), which appears intended to create the implication that foreigners are "on the hook" for TM-30 fines (which they are not, in many cases).

Are you referring to the Jomtien office? I've been there a number of times over the last 6 months and have never been handed a pamphlet. Over the last 6 months, one visit was to report a change of address, another visit to renew my retirement extension and 2 more visits to report and a further visit to get a residence certificate. No pamphlets! I didn't even see the sign - I saw that posted on here.

Even if pamphlets were given out, many who travel overseas often wouldn't go to the immigration office more than once a year to renew their extension.

You claim to have observed many people being fined, going back quite a while. How do you see that? Do you hang out there, watch and question people? 

10 minutes ago, tropo said:

Are you referring to the Jomtien office? I've been there a number of times over the last 6 months and have never been handed a pamphlet. Over the last 6 months, one visit was to report a change of address, another visit to renew my retirement extension and 2 more visits to report and a further visit to get a residence certificate. No pamphlets! I didn't even see the sign - I saw that posted on here.

Even if pamphlets were given out, many who travel overseas often wouldn't go to the immigration office more than once a year to renew their extension.

You claim to have observed many people being fined, going back quite a while. How do you see that? Do you hang out there, watch and question people? 

At Jomtien near Pattaya in the middle of the waterbody, it's the sea isnt it, is an island, man-made or othewise, where there are houseboats hired by foreigners, aren't there? You been there?