Requirement to notify immigration Office after arrival

5 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

When I extended at Bangkok yesterday I signed three extra forms, one of them was entirely in Thai and was for a guarantor to fill out, at least she didn’t insist that I guarantee myself. Another was something about me stating that I knew the penalties for overstay. Who thinks this stuff up? I am on a retirement and have been for eleven years.
What I find irksome is that every year they treat you as though you are doing it for the first time when with all the information they have seen, they should be able to take the form, look at your bank books and passport amend your file and sign off on the extension. It took me two visits because my fixed account passbook was only six weeks old, I provided the details of that account last year and the figures were carried forward but they can’t look that up, knowing is not the same as having a photocopy of the page. They even took a photograph of me at the desk, that probably gets printed and added to my file none of which will be ever referred to again!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

They've been taking photographs for years at Jomtien - they snap me with their webcam when I pick up my passport.

They've been taking photographs for years at Jomtien - they snap me with their webcam when I pick up my passport.

Yes, sorry to give the impression that it was a new thing. Cynically one might wonder why all the latest high tech is provided if full use is not to be made of it. Computerising needn’t cost jobs after all it hasn’t saved paper has it?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

14 hours ago, siam2007 said:

That is not 100% correct. For the most part of 2017, you definitely DID have to report your return to the regular registered address after having left the kingdom. In April 2017, I did exactly that, and was almost fined 4.000 Baht, because I only went to the Jomtien immi office 5 days after re-entering Thailand. But I had stayed in BKK a few days upon arrival and could produce an online reservation confirmation which was sufficient to avoid the fine.

But while waiting in line, I witnessed how others had to pay 4K Baht fine as they did NOT report their return within 24 hours. At that time, there was a huge sign at the entrance to that small section of the office, reading "Reporting return to the kingdom" so people knew where to queue.

As of 2018, this requirement has obviously been dropped (thankfully!). They may have realized they cannot handle the daily assault of "reporters" creating a chaos in that tiny sardine can part of the office every day.

I was one of the probably Thousands of Expats who returned to the country in the time frame of Dec 29 - Jan 2, when the immi offices were closed for five days. In order to keep my sheet at Thai immigration clean, I nevertheless showed up at the first day after re-opening on Jan 3 (and yes, it was not only a zoo, but the godfather of all zoos) and queued up at the information counter (the queue covered much of the parking area all the way to Soi 5).

When I finally reached the desk (Kudos to the immi folks as the queue really moved quickly, despite a lot of foreigner-morons who came completely unprepared or/and behaved improperly), the officer at that desk basically sent me away. I told him I want to "report my return to the old registered address after leaving the kingdom", he then said "ONE YEAR - NO PROBLEM" (referring to the one-year-extension-of-stay stamp I showed him in my passport). At the same time I noticed that the sign I saw in April 2017 leading to the small section of the office where those case were being processed had disappeared as well. So, as of now (of course as we know, things can change in Thailand every day without much prior announcement) there seems to be no more such reporting requirement, but there definitely was in much of 2017.

Would be interesting to learn how the situation is as of 2018 in offices that are known to be overly strict CM comes to my mind)

Thank you for your input. I wonder if the 12 month extension makes a difference? You say you saw people being fined 4000 baht but did you see what kind of visas they had? I can only speak of my own experience from 2015 to present day whether travelling out of the country or out the province. It has never been an issue. I heard of people getting 1600 baht fine which they were to told to pass on to their landlord.  But the sheer imparcticality of processing everyone who has done a border run, been out of the province over night or out of the country on a home visit is just not feasible, not practicable.  Also it is kind of obvious that staying at a hotel is not the same as changing your address. However TIT etc. 

Edited by The manic

On 10/15/2017 at 9:22 PM, The manic said:

I am happy to do my 90 day reporting in any manner that is available. I am not asking about 90 day reporting. I am trying to ascertain if there is any obligation to report to the authorities shortly after arrival. There is not. It is an erroneous idea that I picked up from confused threads written over the last few years on related subjects. I started this thread for purposes of clarification so as to prevent a needless visit to the IO.

Regarding 90 day reporting on line (not the subject of this thread): However, when I mooted the idea  in June at Jomtien IO I was told not possibe - not yet - not working- referring to 90 on line reporting. But anyway, I started this thread to throw light on the idea of reporting back within 24 hours to the IO every time you leave the country or province. AFAIAK leaving behind one's permant residence is not moving house - is not changing your home or housing situation. As for the CM IO - just another reason why not to live there .

5 hours ago, tgeezer said:

When I extended at Bangkok yesterday I signed three extra forms, one of them was entirely in Thai and was for a guarantor to fill out, at least she didn’t insist that I guarantee myself. Another was something about me stating that I knew the penalties for overstay. Who thinks this stuff up? I am on a retirement and have been for eleven years.
What I find irksome is that every year they treat you as though you are doing it for the first time when with all the information they have seen, they should be able to take the form, look at your bank books and passport amend your file and sign off on the extension. It took me two visits because my fixed account passbook was only six weeks old, I provided the details of that account last year and the figures were carried forward but they can’t look that up, knowing is not the same as having a photocopy of the page. They even took a photograph of me at the desk, that probably gets printed and added to my file none of which will be ever referred to again!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

But had you left the province or country within the last 90 days? If not then you are on the wrong thread. But if you had the left the country or province in the last 90 days did they fine you for not reporting back within 24 hours or do you always report back within 24 hours.  This is the issue being explored on this thread: not 90 day reporting nor yearly renewals.

I use a lady to process all my visa's and she used to work at immigration for 10+ years.   I'm on a retirement visa and last year after returning from a short trip to KL friends we talking about this 'new 24 hours report' after returning from any trip outside of country.  I couldn't / didn't believe it so i called up my visa lady and asked if it true... unfortunately YES was the answer.  She said immigration are tearing their hair out over this as much as the foreigners.  So think bout this.... you arrive in country and you fill out your form upon entering with your address.  Then within 24 hours you have to go to immigration and do the same thing again....<deleted> are these people thinking???   Fortunately for me my lady came to my house next day took some pics of my PP and said leave it with me i can sort this out online for you... which she did.  So there ya have it....

29 minutes ago, pattayadgw said:

I use a lady to process all my visa's and she used to work at immigration for 10+ years.   I'm on a retirement visa and last year after returning from a short trip to KL friends we talking about this 'new 24 hours report' after returning from any trip outside of country.  I couldn't / didn't believe it so i called up my visa lady and asked if it true... unfortunately YES was the answer.  She said immigration are tearing their hair out over this as much as the foreigners.  So think bout this.... you arrive in country and you fill out your form upon entering with your address.  Then within 24 hours you have to go to immigration and do the same thing again....<deleted> are these people thinking???   Fortunately for me my lady came to my house next day took some pics of my PP and said leave it with me i can sort this out online for you... which she did.  So there ya have it....

We all seem to be having different experiences! Could you ask her if the rule applies to only leaving the country or leaving the province also?

Edited by The manic

On 1/11/2018 at 10:50 AM, Pattaya46 said:

As far as I know, this has always been the policy at Jomtien Immigration.

not correct, as I clearly described in my post how I witnessed others being fined for not reporting back within 24 hours while I was at that immi office  in April 2017.

Though as of 2018, the requirement is obviously no longer in place

1 hour ago, siam2007 said:

not correct, as I clearly described in my post how I witnessed others being fined for not reporting back within 24 hours while I was at that immi office  in April 2017.

Though as of 2018, the requirement is obviously no longer in place

But we need to ascertain why kind of visas those people had who were being fined. From 2015 -Current day I have not had this issue at Jomtien IO.

On 04/10/2017 at 6:45 PM, Aditi Sharma said:

1. You might as well report to the IO ASAP. 

2. The Condo manager/juristic person cant be bothered to report your arrival; are they aware of your arrival so that they would feel obligated to report it to the IO? Personally I think the responsibility is yours.

3 Yes

Am just a rookie so literally my 2 cents worth.

i could not find anyone in ptty immigration that can tell me i need to file any tm30 papers going in/out as I'm retired; 1 yrs ; with home/living on file. part of my visa papers is the home/immigration paper. so I see no need to do that form;  unless you bring visitors with you from outside to stay. 

• Thanks 1

On 05/10/2017 at 10:12 AM, JackThompson said:

They should, but they don't/won't, in many cases.  And if you want anything done at immigration, the fine must be paid and matter resolved, first - which leaves you on the hook, ultimately. 

Some have reported they will deduct their fine from rent, but I'm not sure how a property-owner could track when a lease-holder comes and goes to another province or makes a quick in/out - so "blame the owner" would only work (logically) for initial reporting upon move-in.  Even in that case, best to CYA and do it yourself unless you talk with the owner and verify they did it - preferably with a screen-shot or printout proving they did.

I have returned to the same residence and reported each time, and received a new TM-30 in my passport each time (Jomtien).  When you report to a different address, there is additional paperwork required. 

BUT - enforcement and rules vary By Immigration Office, and over-time at the same office - so everyone needs to find out what their office wants this month.

Yes, the arrival-card would suffice in a logical world.  But, the short answer is: "Because they said so."   If you want to be sure - report.  If they tell you "you don't have to do this" at your office - great. 

I've been told repeatedly that what I did (reporting each time) was required, and I've watched others fined for not doing so.  But, again, enforcement-rules vary by office and over time at the same office. 

I would assume also that if you have long term renters; they have this address on file. Probably with an 1 yrs O visa or retirement visa. they can also go in/out without the tm30 papers each time. or any reporting. -All subject to change daily. 

A recent comment by  The ptty expats  club posted new Thai immigration rules ( of latest understanding in Dec.17' ) that someone was asked to have a work permit as the landlord was retired-retirement  visa ; and tenant was retired with a 1 yrs retirement visa. That throws a new kink into what is the purpose and thinking here ? Perhaps someones mis-misunderstanding ? 

On 1/12/2018 at 8:44 PM, wpcoe said:

As it would happen, I just posted this in another thread:

Note that (3) above was today -- 12-January-2018 -- and an Immigrations Officer at Cholburi (Jomtien) Immigrations clearly advised the fellow, twice, that he needed to report after returning to Pattaya even if to the same address.

(PS:  Forum software was messing around with formatting of the quotes, so my apologies if there are huge gaps between paragraphs, or alternately, if there is no space between paragraphs.)

That's absolutely annoying indeed. The *&'#%&/$§% immi office really needs to clarify the requirements so that it does not become a (costly) lottery game for every foreign resident every time he/she shows up at the Jomtien office

• Like 1

That's absolutely annoying indeed. The *&'#%&/$§% immi office really needs to clarify the requirements so that it does not become a (costly) lottery game for every foreign resident every time he/she shows up at the Jomtien office

Yes, unfortunately it takes a physical appearance at the Immigration Office to find out what their requirements actually are !!

I bit the bullet and went to my IO ( Ayutthaya ) armed with all the paperwork for a TM30 after returning from o/seas in November only to be waved away and told that “ some immigration offices require that, we don’t here “ [emoji846]

NOTE: I had already filed a TM30 at this IO when I moved here 6 months ago .

• Like 1