Thai army chief says attack helicopter purchase from US will take time

webfact

Army chief says attack helicopter purchase from US will take time

By Thai PBS

5DE2044C-B89B-44DB-9744-A9B9E283CAD6.jpe

The army chief says the procurement of US-made attack helicopters will take time and may not be seen during his term in service.

Gen Chalermchai Sithisart, the army commander-in-chief, said of the four Sikorsky Black Hawk helicopters which the US Congress has given sale approval to Thailand, as the Army Aviation Centre has now submitted procurement plan to the Army to to replace attack helicopters which will be soon put out of service.

Full story:  http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/army-chief-says-attack-helicopter-purchase-us-will-take-time/

9 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

I am curious as to where and whom they may attack. Any suggestions?:unsure:

Ideal for submarines that are not able to dive deep enough to avoid detection,especially in the Gulf of Thailand/Andaman seas..........:sorry:

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Gen Chalermchai Sithisart, the army commander-in-chief, said of the four Sikorsky Black Hawk helicopters which the US Congress has given sale approval to Thailand, as the Army Aviation Centre has now submitted procurement plan to the Army to to replace attack helicopters which will be soon put out of service.

The Black Hawk is a four-bladed, twin-engine, medium-lift utility  helicopter, it is not considered an attack helicopter anywhere else in the world.

14 hours ago, Jonah Tenner said:

The Black Hawk is a four-bladed, twin-engine, medium-lift utility  helicopter, it is not considered an attack helicopter anywhere else in the world.

Good enough to attack Thai citizens, the only enemy of the Thai army for the last 84 years.

20 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

I am curious as to where and whom they may attack. Any suggestions?:unsure:

Now then, let me think.......

If there is an escalation, the south maybe?

If any of those ME idiots decide it might be fun to meddle in the affairs over there, the army might need some suitable hardware, don't you think?

It may well take some time. They will have to scratch up the cash, which I rather get the feeling is in short supply at the moment. I don't think that there is any buckshee dosh left...

Edited by JAG

53 minutes ago, JAG said:

It may well take some time. They will have to scratch up the cash, which I rather get the feeling is in short supply at the moment. I don't think that there is any buckshee dosh left...

The money is coming from alcohol and tobacco tax

The article is a bit misleading. The attack helicopters are in addition to the Black Hawks. Thailand currently has 6 Cobras, of which 4 are out of service. The Cobra design is nearly 50 years old and it makes sense for them to be replaced based on their possible age (Wki puts them at 12 years old). The same people whinging about them would be whinging if they fell out of the sky for being outdated. 

Black Hawks are transport helicopters and as such are multi use for the military in tasks such as flood and other disaster relief- their purchase makes sense. Some of the Hueys that they will replace are Vietnam vintage.

3 hours ago, brucec64 said:

Good enough to attack Thai citizens, the only enemy of the Thai army for the last 84 years.

Don't laugh, in 1976, a Thai Army Lieutenant stole a gunship from US SF in Lopari and strafed the streets of Bangkok during that coup by the Students  -  dozens killed in the streets, luckily he ran out of both Gas and Ammo early and landed the chopper on the Palace lawn.   He truly believed he was protecting the Royal family as there were rumors abound they would be kidnapped and killed. ...........was a well kept secret for over 35 years.  and I know this how??  I'll never tell.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thammasat_University_massacre