Entertainment operators asked to suspend activities throughout October

webfact

26 people in his bar. How many are prostitutes?. If any are, then no doubt he will be deprived of his pimping fees (bar fines).

If last year is anything to go by, when the same order was made, he should be ok, as "low key" dancing is still allowed and barfines will still be available.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is very difficult to get a straight answer from anyone in an official status in Thailand. One has to ask the same question in numerous ways to get to the actual truth.  Most people are more than willing to abide by the 'rules'- we just need to know exactly what they are.

22 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

It is very difficult to get a straight answer from anyone in an official status in Thailand. One has to ask the same question in numerous ways to get to the actual truth.  Most people are more than willing to abide by the 'rules'- we just need to know exactly what they are.

correct and very true words ...............

I wouldn't worry about it. More than likely this won't be enforced too rigorously, as per usual. If bars persist and stay open,  a few may get popped as an example to the rest. But I would think closing down for a whole month would be a tall order in practical terms no matter how much bar owners might want to respect the funereal proceedings, especially considering this is, as usual, a snap decision with no warning and no one being able to plan for a month of losses due to the extended down time. The threat of the loss of income would be greater than that of being busted for most bar owners I would think.

Edited by Shaunduhpostman

23 hours ago, NanLaew said:

What's so hard about turning off the neon signs, dimming the sidewalk lighting, turning off the outside speakers, and keeping the doors closed?

...oh yes and asking the door girls to wear more clothes?

Well that would be easy enough and many would say entirely appropriate.

So why the ambiguity from the authorities , the unspoken apparent flexibility, I think we can all guess !

22 hours ago, pigeonjake said:

just shows the kind of girls that work there, they should be at home at this sad time

just my opinion

Thats a very snide and unfair comment Jake , I doubt many of the girls who work in the 'entertainment ' business are thrilled at what they do.

I would also add that a large proportion of them will be paying their respects at a local Wat and grieving along with their more ' respectable ' sisters !

22 hours ago, Cadbury said:

No mention of concerns by anyone for the RTP and their families. This could have an serious impact on monthly bar and club insurance revenue and other various "entertainment" extraneous revenue. If they have a budget shortcoming at home then domestic problems might arise. One consequence could be that motorists might have to make up the shortfall. This decision could have an unintended financial impact on many. 

Oh I shouldn't worry too much , there is enough ambiguity in the statement to allow for ' business ' opportunities.

Only a few days ago, earlier information was repeated in the news (Reuters, October 2nd) that »Tourism activities will continue as normal around the country, even though Thai people will be in mourning [...] There are no restrictions on tourists at all and they can still enjoy ‘Amazing Thailand’ while they are here«.

Earlier information was for example from May this year said: »For the period of the Royal Cremation, we would like to inform all visitors to Thailand that they can continue with their travel plans as normal. All transportation, banks, tourism and hospitality businesses across Thailand will be operating as usual.«

A pity for those tourist, that for long time had planned their visit during October, to learn that planning had suddenly changed with only few days notice – fell little sorry for the youngsters heading for their life's party experience at some southern islands, which may be a once only event for them – however,  "Amazing Thailand" and "hospitality business" may have several meanings...:whistling:

22 hours ago, pigeonjake said:

just shows the kind of girls that work there, they should be at home at this sad time

just my opinion

Well observed. I was in one of those venues, on the sad day last year I didn't see one employee of any of those places shed a tear. I thought it a bit odd, as Thais are usually so emotional. I think all go go's, discos, clubs, bars, etc should be closed for the week that the main events are happening, anything else just seems wrong.  Why does everyone have to be 'entertained' the whole time anyway? Go for a walk, read a book [yes, those things with pages in them], go to a quiet place, and sit down, and just listen.

6 hours ago, Searat7 said:

Less than 2 weeks ago the Government Tourism office announced that all entertainment activities could proceed as usual during this period. Then operators were asked to scale back and now they want these activities suspended . I have no problem with what they are doing but they should have announced their policy long in advance so that operators, employees and tourists could plan for this.

Exactly !

One has to wonder why they did not.

5 hours ago, Psimbo said:

I love these 'how dare they' threads. How dare a certain person have the temerity to di and 'spoil' people's holidays! 

I love posts that deliberately misrepresent the views of others in order to strengthen their own particular bias.

5 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Doesn't TAT say something like 30 million visitors a year?  Assuming not quite a straight average equal each month which would be 2.5 million per month, and doubling that during High season to 5 million.  Seems like a lot of visitors would like to know exactly what the state of affairs will be.  Bars close early?  No outdoor music at all? 

Yes but if potential visitors are given the full story they might decide to go elsewhere , cant have that !

3 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

For a lot of people in the north is can be bought for 500 THB a day.

For a lot of people the fact that such propaganda has been many times rebutted by credible , unbiased souces , is apparently not a good enough reason to stop endlessly repeating the untruth.

3 hours ago, gamini said:

26 people in his bar. How many are prostitutes?. If any are, then no doubt he will be deprived of his pimping fees (bar fines).

Prostitutes , the large majority conrtrolled by Thais , are human beings who have responsibilities and bills to pay just as judgemental puritans like you do. They also happen to come on the whole from the poorest and most disadvantaged levels of society , all the more reason to mock them yes ?

Edited by joecoolfrog

1 hour ago, Jeremy50 said:

Well observed. I was in one of those venues, on the sad day last year I didn't see one employee of any of those places shed a tear. I thought it a bit odd, as Thais are usually so emotional. I think all go go's, discos, clubs, bars, etc should be closed for the week that the main events are happening, anything else just seems wrong.  Why does everyone have to be 'entertained' the whole time anyway? Go for a walk, read a book [yes, those things with pages in them], go to a quiet place, and sit down, and just listen.

Wow!

I hate to break it to you but these are places of fantasy , the girls put on an act , you may not believe this but they probably dont find any of us particularly handsome or entertaining.

Whilst it might please you if they all walked around in funeral attire , looking morose with mascara smeared from crying , it might not be good for business.

Yes there is another bomb shell for you , the girls work for money , not to salve your concience or make a statement of spiritual awareness.

On 10/6/2017 at 3:31 PM, brommers said:

Smutcakes it was the end of Buddhist Lent, Awk Phansa, and a mandatory alcohol free day since 2015. 

If entertainment venues have to suspend their shows etc for a month a whole lot of businesses will go broke. A friend had budgeted for up to four days without a show in his successful bar would now be faced with a six figure salary bill, which he could not afford. This would put 26 people out of work. Sure to get a lot of support for those in power at the promised election. Not.

All previous information put out by government has allowed for shows etc to continue on a cut back form but this new directive seems draconian to say the least.

Let's hope all landlords do the right thing too and suspend rent payments for the month.

On 10/6/2017 at 5:31 PM, baboon said:

Then feel free to go and mourn. Just don't concern yourself with the decisions of others.

If anyone is interested in how police states are maintained, they could do worse than read this thread and the responses from the Thaivisa curtain twitchers...

I also disagree with your notion that mourning should be up to the individual. A period of government-mandated mourning with guidelines would seem very appropriate this month.

This is not the time to have inconsiderate fools spoiling the grieving process of most of the nation. For example, how would you feel if you were having a funeral service for your father and next door to the church a group of inconsiderate people were having a loud party.

Unfortunately, it only takes a few inconsiderate individuals to spoil the atmosphere for everyone. There's no other solution here - it must be controlled. The only way to have reverent mourning for the King is for everyone to be quiet.

22 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

To understand their situation, you should not eat or pay your rent for however long you consider they should be at home for.

Unless you are intending to support them financially, as no one else will be.

If by "entertainers" you're referring to prostitutes, then they should take time off... even if only to prevent their customers from partaking in such activities during this period of mourning. They had a lot of time to save for this occasion - a whole year. I don't think they'd be getting a lot of sympathy from the general population. They are in a higher salary bracket than many - too bad most don't have good money management skills.

In reality, they can survive just fine. Their families can return the favour and support them for a month in the provinces.

If by "entertainers" you're referring to prostitutes, then they should take time off... even if only to prevent their customers from partaking in such activities during this period of mourning. They had a lot of time to save for this occasion - a whole year. I don't think they'd be getting a lot of sympathy from the general population. They are in a higher salary bracket than many - too bad most don't have good money management skills.

In reality, they can survive just fine. Their families can return the favour and support them for a month in the provinces.

Foreigners shouldn't partake in sex during a period of mourning? That's a new one for me!

21 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Foreigners shouldn't partake in sex during a period of mourning? That's a new one for me!

The tongue was in cheek, dude... (btw, it was about prostitution, not sex in general, and it wasn't specific to foreigners.)

Having said that, I'm pretty sure all this is new for you. When did Thailand last mourne the passing of a King? It was 71 years ago, so this is all new to nearly everyone currently living and most of the people who were alive in 1946 were too young to remember all the details.