Visa Juggling question

Hi guys I was reading this thread

Tourist VISA

Post #4,  about not getting tourist visa stamped on arrival

On 10/4/2017 at 12:53 PM, JackThompson said:

You can ask the officer at the airport to not use your visa, as you intend only a short-stay and to come back and use it later. (Edit - do NOT write your visa-number on your TM-6 Entry Form, to help facilitate this.)

If he insists he will use your Tourist Visa anyway, you can always get a re-entry permit (1000 Baht) for it to cover your trip to Cambodia.  The downside of this, is that the 60-days will begin upon your first entry, and will terminate on the same day regardless of leaving and re-entering with a re-entry permit.  But, after you are back in Thailand, you can apply for a 30-day extension to your Tourist Visa - giving you a total of 90-days, counting from your first entry with it.

Express service for Tourist Visas may or may not be available in Cambodia - check with an agent first to verify.  I could not get express my last time there, with an agent who had always been able to do it before.

I was wondering if anyone had got this done,  ie the tourist visa not getting stamped, getting a 30 day visa on arrival and then using the tourist visa when coming back into Thailand?

Asking as I'd like to travel to straight to Cambodia from Thailand then come back to Thailand for 60 days after spending 30 days in Cambodia.

The other thing that I thought of was is it possible to use an agent in Siem Reap to get a tourist visa?  That way I could get my 30 day visa on arrival and then come back to Thailand for 60 days.

Same thread post #2

On 10/4/2017 at 12:48 PM, dogfish180 said:

How long will you be in Cambodia? Are you going to Phnom Penh? If so you can get a tourist visa from the Thai embassy in Phnom Penh. There is a few shops there that will get the visa for you, so that you don't need to bother yourself with going to the embassy. Normal turn around is 3 days, but there is a same day express service for extra payment. The standard cost is the same as the UK. I can give you the contact details of the shop if you want it.

TIA  :smile:

if you use the tourist visa and get stamped in for 60 days, you could then get a re-entry permit from local immigration (1.000 baht), on reentry to Thailand you will then get stamped into Thailand until the original date, you can then get a 30 day extension again at local immigration (1,900 baht) or lose the remainder of the tourist stamp, and get a visa exempt 30 day entry on re-entry with a 30 day extension.

That's if the visa exempt first and saving the tourist visa for 2nd doesn't  work

is your final flight out of Thailand within 90 days of first arrival

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, NotWhatItWasnt said:

I was wondering if anyone had got this done,  ie the tourist visa not getting stamped, getting a 30 day visa on arrival and then using the tourist visa when coming back into Thailand?

Plenty of times by mistake when the IO has not seen the Tourist Visa. There's nothing stopping an IO ignoring the Tourist Visa, but I doubt many IO's would voluntarily comply and not use a valid visa. It's a question frequently asked and the lack of reports of people successfully doing it would suggest that not many , if any, have got this done.

45 minutes ago, NotWhatItWasnt said:

The other thing that I thought of was is it possible to use an agent in Siem Reap to get a tourist visa?

Yes there are agents in Siem Reap that will take your passport to Phnom Phen and get a Tourist Visa for you. I believe it takes a few days.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 10/6/2017 at 7:50 PM, elviajero said:

Yes there are agents in Siem Reap that will take your passport to Phnom Phen and get a Tourist Visa for you. I believe it takes a few days.

The last report, I believe the fellow gave his passport to the agent in SR on Sunday, and got his passport back, from the Consulate in Phnom Penh, on Thursday afternoon - so I would give myself a week, to be on the safe side.  The formerly available "rush" service, for an extra fee, may no longer be available (wasn't from my agent on last check - but might be again or via select agents).

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

The last report, I believe the fellow gave his passport to the agent in SR on Sunday, and got his passport back, from the Consulate in Phnom Penh, on Thursday afternoon - so I would give myself a week, to be on the safe side.  The formerly available "rush" service, for an extra fee, may no longer be available (wasn't from my agent on last check - but might be again or via select agents).

Thanks for that Jack, I'll get that done the first week I am there

• 1 month later...

PS Documents needed (Originals not copies)

• 2 Photos (I used 2 X regular UK passport size photos)
  • Eticket
  • Bank statement issued within last 3 months (Sorry I forget the amount that needs to be in the account)

The Thai Embassy kept these documents, no explanation was given when I asked why.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NotWhatItWasnt said:

Bank statement issued within last 3 months (Sorry I forget the amount that needs to be in the account)

For future readers of this thread, the last time I was there for a Tourist Visa, $1000 USD equivalent was recommended, and others have more recently reported they have started requiring this as a minimum.  At least 20K Baht equivalent would be the lowest minimum possible, but I would be prepared with 33K Baht / $1000 USD if using Cambodia.

• Like 1