Tourist VISA

Luckily I have a Thai Consulate 5 minutes from my house in the UK and I can get a Tourist VISA in 10 minutes costing about 1500baht £35. 
I'm landing back in Bangkok next week but only for 2 weeks until I go to Cambodia for the weekend. 

My question is if I get a Tourist VISA in England when I land in Bangkok can I NOT have my tourist VISA stamped but just get a normal 30day entry, stay for 2weeks, got to Cambodia for the weekend and when I arrive back in Bangkok then use my 2month Tourist VISA

I hope someone can help me out.

Kind Regards,

How long will you be in Cambodia? Are you going to Phnom Penh? If so you can get a tourist visa from the Thai embassy in Phnom Penh. There is a few shops there that will get the visa for you, so that you don't need to bother yourself with going to the embassy. Normal turn around is 3 days, but there is a same day express service for extra payment. The standard cost is the same as the UK. I can give you the contact details of the shop if you want it.

• Like 1

Thank you very much Dogfish. 

I'm only going for the weekend, on rugby tour in PP, so I don't really want to be distracted with getting my VISA but the same day express sounds like an option. Do you know how much that cost? 

Also any idea on my first question, can I get a tourist VISA in UK and not use it until I re-enter? That would be the easiest 

You can ask the officer at the airport to not use your visa, as you intend only a short-stay and to come back and use it later. (Edit - do NOT write your visa-number on your TM-6 Entry Form, to help facilitate this.)

If he insists he will use your Tourist Visa anyway, you can always get a re-entry permit (1000 Baht) for it to cover your trip to Cambodia.  The downside of this, is that the 60-days will begin upon your first entry, and will terminate on the same day regardless of leaving and re-entering with a re-entry permit.  But, after you are back in Thailand, you can apply for a 30-day extension to your Tourist Visa - giving you a total of 90-days, counting from your first entry with it.

Express service for Tourist Visas may or may not be available in Cambodia - check with an agent first to verify.  I could not get express my last time there, with an agent who had always been able to do it before.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

Pretty sure you can get a re entry permit for your tourist visa which will keep it valid for when you come back in from cambodia cost i wouldnt know i think about 1k for a single entry re entry permit.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Benbkk26 said:

All great info thanks guys. 

A single entry tourist visa is about 1000baht ish but a multiple entry tourist visa is nearly 8,000baht, it's a massive difference. 

A single re-entry permit is 1,000 baht a multiple re-entry permit is 3800 baht.

Not sure where you got the 8,000 baht number. 

From the Thai consulate in Hull, UK. Correction it's £135 for multiple entry and they want 6 months bank statements with £5000 in there for that period. I have a house in Bangkok and make this journey 4 or 5 times a year with tourist VISA. The workers in the consulate know me on a first name bases, I've also read it on a number of forum. It changed at the start of this year. 

21 minutes ago, Benbkk26 said:

From the Thai consulate in Hull, UK. Correction it's £135 for multiple entry and they want 6 months bank statements with £5000 in there for that period. I have a house in Bangkok and make this journey 4 or 5 times a year with tourist VISA. The workers in the consulate know me on a first name bases, I've also read it on a number of forum. It changed at the start of this year. 

A re-entry permit is issued by Thai immigration that is issued to keep your current permit to stay valid if you want to travel during it.

Not the same as applying for a multiple entry tourist visa at consulate.

@Benbkk26 - If you are not familiar, you obtain a re-entry permit to keep an existing "permission of stay" valid so you can leave the country and return within the permission-of-stay period.  A single 're-entry permit' is 1000 Baht, and you would obtain it from an immigration-office within Thailand after you arrived, having been stamped in on your Tourist Visa. 

The important thing to remember, is that the clock keeps running while you are gone - so you don't get any extra days / credit for time out of the country.  All that happens, is when you return, the IO will stamp the same "permitted until" date in your passport which you obtained before, when you first entered.

1 minute ago, Benbkk26 said:

I would have to do that at the immigration office in Changwattana? 

You can get one there, or if flying out, they can also be obtained at the airport..

Edited by JackThompson

2 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

@Benbkk26 - If you are not familiar, you obtain a re-entry permit to keep an existing "permission of stay" valid so you can leave the country and return within the permission-of-stay period.  A single 're-entry permit' is 1000 Baht, and you would obtain it from an immigration-office within Thailand after you arrived, having been stamped in on your Tourist Visa. 

The important thing to remember, is that the clock keeps running while you are gone - so you don't get any extra days / credit for time out of the country.  All that happens, is when you return, the IO will stamp the same "permitted until" date in your passport which you obtained before, when you first entered.

You can get one there, or if flying out, they can also be obtained at the airport..

Thank you Jack, great stuff. 

I'm in Bangkok for 2weeks before flying to PP for 3 days then flying back to Bangkok, so I can obtain a re-entry permit in Sukvarnbhumi airport as I'm leaving for PP Cambodia. Changwattana is a pain to get to and do but if needs must....

1 minute ago, Benbkk26 said:

Thank you Jack, great stuff. 

I'm in Bangkok for 2weeks before flying to PP for 3 days then flying back to Bangkok, so I can obtain a re-entry permit in Sukvarnbhumi airport as I'm leaving for PP Cambodia. Changwattana is a pain to get to and do but if needs must....

I think it may be 1200 Baht at the airport, vs 1000 Baht at an Imm-office - but probably still worth not having to go out to CW. 

Just leave some extra time to get it before your flight - I have heard 20-mins extra quoted, but I'd probably give myself a bit more of a time-allowance, just in case the office happened to be busy at that moment.