Embassy Letter for New Passport

My British passport is soon to expire and I was hoping to re-new in the UK. With Immigration needing a letter from the Embassy when transferring my retirement 'extension of stay' I was unsure how to get such so emailed the  Consular Section at British Embassy Bangkok. To my surprise they replied in 10 mins.

Further to your query, we have a transfer visa letter at Trendy Office in Bangkok, you can ask for this letter when you collect you new passport. However, If you renew your passport in UK, you might need to ask Royal Thai Embassy in London about transfer your Thai visa to your new passport.

Is this correct for I though the transfer can only be done at your local Immigration office? Or are they playing with me when I said 'Thai visa' when it should have been 'extension of stay'. Kindly advise how I would get said letter if re-newing my passport in the UK.

On a second point I have also looked at applying within Thailand and are unsure about what I would use as proof of address. Of the list of items I can only see "immigration documents" as being a possible. Would the receipt from the TM30 Notification form suffice as it is the only one with my address on it. Perhaps someone can kindly advise what they have used.

They will send you a blank proforma letter.

It appears to be misunderstanding. You would not be able transfer your extension at the embassy in London.

Info is in this PDF. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/491945/Visa_Transfer_Information.pdf

They will accept many things for proof address/residence. A Thai driver's license, some document you got in the mail such as phone bill and etc.

Thank you ubonjoe

The PDF is written for those collecting a passport in Bangkok and hence why I had used the email address at the bottom to seek advice. It does not address how the letter would be issued if a passport has been obtained in the UK. Do I just turn up at the Trendy Office and ask.

12 minutes ago, Kron said:

Thank you ubonjoe

The PDF is written for those collecting a passport in Bangkok and hence why I had used the email address at the bottom to seek advice. It does not address how the letter would be issued if a passport has been obtained in the UK. Do I just turn up at the Trendy Office and ask.

When you get your new passport and have are back here send the email and request the letter explaining that you got your new passport in the UK and need it to transfer your stamps at immigration. Others have done the same and got the blank letter from them by email. They may ask for a copy of the photo page of your new passport.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

When you get your new passport and have are back here send the email and request the letter explaining that you got your new passport in the UK and need it to transfer your stamps at immigration. Others have done the same and got the blank letter from them by email. They may ask for a copy of the photo page of your new passport.

Correct me if i'm wrong Joe but if you renew your PP in the UK do you really need the letter to transfer the stamps? I have known friends who have done the same but didn't have the letter, they simply showed both PP when entering and then went to Immi to transfer the stamps

Again please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong

1 hour ago, darrendsd said:

Correct me if i'm wrong Joe but if you renew your PP in the UK do you really need the letter to transfer the stamps? I have known friends who have done the same but didn't have the letter, they simply showed both PP when entering and then went to Immi to transfer the stamps

It entirely depends upon the office you have to use.