Trump derides Corker for Iran deal; Corker strikes back

webfact

Trump derides Corker for Iran deal; Corker strikes back

By Doina Chiacu and Patricia Zengerle

tag-reuters-1.jpg

Senator Bob Corker (R-TN) speaks to reporters after the Senate approved $15.25 billion in aid for areas affected by Hurricane Harvey along with measures that would fund the federal government and raise its borrowing limit on Capitol Hill in Washington, U.S., September 7, 2017. REUTERS/Joshua Roberts

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump blamed Senator Bob Corker for the Iran nuclear deal on Sunday in a series of derisive Twitter posts that drew a sharp comeback from the lawmaker, an influential fellow Republican and onetime ally.

The senator, who announced his retirement last month, was a national security adviser to Trump during the 2016 presidential campaign and on Trump's short list last year for both vice president and secretary of state.

More recently, he has criticized Trump, taking issue with the president's response to a white supremacist demonstration in Charlottesville, Virginia, in August. Critics assailed Trump for saying rival protesters were also to blame for violence.

"Senator Bob Corker "begged" me to endorse him for re-election in Tennessee. I said "NO" and he dropped out (said he could not win without my endorsement)," Trump wrote. "He also wanted to be Secretary of State, I said "NO THANKS." He is also largely responsible for the horrendous Iran Deal!

"Hence, I would fully expect Corker to be a negative voice and stand in the way of our great agenda. Didn't have the guts to run!"

An hour later Corker, chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, tweeted back: "It's a shame the White House has become an adult day care centre. Someone obviously missed their shift this morning."

Corker's chief of staff, Todd Womack, said Trump called the senator last Monday, asked him to reconsider his decision not to seek re-election in 2018, "and reaffirmed that he would have endorsed him, as he has said many times."

Trump's dispute with Corker could also have implications for the president's policy goals of repealing Obamacare and passing tax reform. Republicans control both houses of the U.S. Congress but hold only a narrow majority, 52-48, in the Senate, which means Trump has only a slim margin for potential defections from within his own party on legislation.

Even before Trump's Twitter attacks on Corker, the senator has said he would have difficulty supporting any tax package that added to the federal deficit, posing a potential hurdle for the president's tax plan.

"Bob Corker gave us the Iran Deal, & that's about it," Trump posted on Twitter later on Sunday. "We need HealthCare, we need Tax Cuts/Reform, we need people that can get the job done!"

KEY PLAYER ON IRAN

On Iran, Trump is expected to disclose within days a plan to decertify the 2015 international nuclear agreement with Tehran, putting the agreement's future in the hands of Congress, where Corker would play a central role in determining its fate.

Trump has long criticized the pact, a signature foreign policy achievement of Democratic former President Barack Obama in which Iran agreed to reduce its nuclear programme in exchange for easing of international sanctions.

During the U.S. political fight over the agreement, which was opposed by every Republican in Congress, Corker co-wrote the law that required congressional approval for the deal and required the president to certify that Iran was complying every 90 days.

Some critics on the far right have blamed Corker for that measure, which they say helped push the pact through Congress.

The two-term senator's retirement is a blow to a Republican Party struggling to balance divisions between mainstream and more populist wings.

Asked last week about reported tensions between Trump and Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, Corker responded with what was seen as a jab at Trump.

He described Tillerson, Secretary of Defence James Mattis, and White House Chief of Staff John Kelly as "those people that help separate our country from chaos."

After Charlottesville, Corker said, "The president has not yet been able to demonstrate the stability, nor some of the competence, that he needs to demonstrate in order to be successful."

(Reporting by Doina Chiacu and Patricia Zengerle; Additional reporting by Lindsay Dunsmuir and Sarah N. Lynch; Editing by Howard Goller and Lisa Shumaker)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-10-09

Corker said there are “people within the administration” working against the interest of the country.

If Corker knows this then others in Congress do also. So what is being done to address this? Or, is this another example of 45's lackeys putting party above country? Congress is spineless. 

14 minutes ago, tomwct said:

Corker is a "RINO" and part of the Swamp. He will be replaced by a real Republican and Trump Supporter in the next election! Making America Great One Day at a Time! Go Trump!

Corker nailed it.   The White House is an adult day care center and someone missed their shift.   

17 minutes ago, tomwct said:

Corker is a "RINO" and part of the Swamp. He will be replaced by a real Republican and Trump Supporter in the next election! Making America Great One Day at a Time! Go Trump!

Trump will never be reelected. Luckily! Absolutely amazing some still support this nut job.

It seems we are back with the Trump, "praise me and do everything I say, or I will tell lies and defame you out of spite." You really have to seriously question the intellect of anyone that still supports this pathetic creature.

2 hours ago, tomwct said:

It's hard to know who is worse for the USA;  candidates picked by Bannon or those picked by Trump.  It's like trying to decide whether to eat a rotten egg sandwich or rotten fish.

"It's a shame the White House has become an adult day care center. Someone obviously missed their shift this morning."

.....and insisting he put on his adult diaper - over his mouth.  It's debatable whether Trump has more shit coming out of his mouth, than out of the orifice between his bulbous butt cheeks.

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

Trump will never be reelected. Luckily! Absolutely amazing some still support this nut job.

I thought for sure Trump would not get elected in November.  I was dead wrong. 

So, I now have no confidence in predicting whether he or any other harmful-to-America people will get elected in upcoming elections.  A sizeable portion of American voters are so-easily-duped, have no problem with pussy-grabbing, with automatic weapons, and seem eager to see America self-destruct, ...... that anything's possible.   Bernie Madoff looks quite good in comparison.

2 hours ago, tomwct said:

Got that right!

Corker is't running for office now that he's been outed and Trump's criticism re the Iran deal is most justified.

I never voted  for or supported Trump when he was running. When he won, I said I would give him a chance as I expected he would ct in a Presidential manner. Instead, he has lied consistently; denigrated people personally; sent out useless tweets; destroyed the reputation of America; picked fights with staunch American allies; and generally made the World less safe for everyone. In addition, he has done nothing to help the American people. We do not have a universal healthcare bill; we do not have a realistic tax bill; there is no immigration legislation that is fair and balanced.  Instead America has a $40Billion increase in the defense department mostly caused by bombastic rhetoric from a President that is ignorant and unstable.

Donald Trump has serious mental issues- he has a personality disorder called narcissistic personality syndrome- he lies instinctively; cannot keep quiet when needed; and strikes back at every perceived criticism. His demeanor and choice of words are filled with hate and derision. 

I am really surprised that Trump's supporters continue to believe anything he says. Is this the type of behavior that you want your children and grandchildren to emulate. The fact is most Americans do not support him and want him out.

Undoubtedly, the worst President in American history.Even his Secretary of State cannot stand him him.

1 hour ago, Thaidream said:

I never voted  for or supported Trump when he was running. When he won, I said I would give him a chance as I expected he would ct in a Presidential manner. Instead, he has lied consistently; denigrated people personally; sent out useless tweets; destroyed the reputation of America; picked fights with staunch American allies; and generally made the World less safe for everyone. In addition, he has done nothing to help the American people. We do not have a universal healthcare bill; we do not have a realistic tax bill; there is no immigration legislation that is fair and balanced.  Instead America has a $40Billion increase in the defense department mostly caused by bombastic rhetoric from a President that is ignorant and unstable.

Donald Trump has serious mental issues- he has a personality disorder called narcissistic personality syndrome- he lies instinctively; cannot keep quiet when needed; and strikes back at every perceived criticism. His demeanor and choice of words are filled with hate and derision. 

I am really surprised that Trump's supporters continue to believe anything he says. Is this the type of behavior that you want your children and grandchildren to emulate. The fact is most Americans do not support him and want him out.

Undoubtedly, the worst President in American history.Even his Secretary of State cannot stand him him.

Thank you Thaidream I agree with you. I believe he will be the most hated man in the world. 

Even the field of mental health professionals are showing alarm writing a warning to us/ the world a/b 45 being unstable and untruthful. I stated the name of title of the book previously,  but it was removed by monitors. Not sure why b/c 45's lies are linked to this topic. He is currently lying a/b Senator Corker. His delusion has no boundaries. 

Should the USA void the Iran deal and introduce Sanctions they will do so alone. The cost for a start will be $400 billion loss to Boeing. 

Everyone else says Iran is in compliance it is on Trump and Israel that say otherwise. 

Iran is not Iraq. It is not Syria . US may awake a snake it cannot control if it imposes sanctions.

Iran has changed a lot since 1979 so why give the Radicals the upper hand again

Edited by Kiwiken