Do you plan to upgrade to Windows 10?

connda

Upgrading your computer's Operating System: Windows 10 or something else?  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, JaiMaai said:

It's a laptop.

Win 10 commands

Set active hours to let us know when you typically use this device. We won’t automatically restart it during active hours, and we won’t restart without checking if you’re using it.

We'll finish installing updates when you tell us to.

We'll show you a reminder when we are going to restart.

Temporarily pause updates for up to 35 days.

Choose how updates are delivered.

17 hours ago, connda said:

Bad assumption, and incorrect. 

No, it stands as the most likely explanation (note I said "probably") until you come up with some rational informed arguments. I've pointed out your bias and misinformation previously but they're ignored, so you're not actually interested in discussion while claiming that you are. 

My Linux based systems run just fine on the hardware I have.

This begs the question of whether Win 10 might also run just fine on the hardware you have. We'll need to see whether your machines meet the minimum specs or not and the reports of the Windows Upgrade Advisor. Previously I've pointed out the Windows tuning possibilities. In fact you can make a Windows install disc/stick with a lot of unwanted features stripped out.

Internet-based keyboard commandos are fond of making claims that are built on nothing more than a guess or prejudice. One such claim that I've been coming across regularly is that Windows 10 is a total pig on older systems and should be avoided at all costs because otherwise you'll run into all sorts of problems.

Well, I just happened to have an old system lying about, so I decided to install Windows 10 on it just to see what would happen.

—Yes, Windows 10 runs great on old hardware

So you still don't really have much of a reason yet. Now you could argue that since you don't have Win 7 or 8 now that you'd have to spend $20 to buy a Win 10 key. Bingo! (Good word, eh.)

I'm talking as a guy who worked as first and second tier support on a help desk in a 4000 employee company and prior to retirement, the manager of our Windows-based server infrastructure.

We've heard the invocation of superior credentials twice before and they were debunked in the reply about your main obsession, the interface, and about backups/restore. Not to mention your googling skills.

Then why is a problem to understand?

Condescending straw man argument. We ain't stupid here. You see, the corporate question is completely irrelevant to this topic and so is merely raised further to bolster your authority as an expert. The new hotness is that you understand "costs"--in general, with no numbers. Step 1, check. But Step 2 is the hard part: the ROI part. A real expert would of course offer an objective appraisal. Just because you imply the corporate ROI will be negative--based on your own "knowing"--don't make it so. If you improve your Google skills, you can find reasons why the corporate ROI on Win 10 is likely to be positive, long-term. M'soft itself commissioned a study on the subject that concluded:

This Microsoft-commissioned report demonstrates how deploying Windows 10 can reduce costs and provide significant benefits to your organization. The report found an ROI of 233% with a payback period of only 14 months.

--https://blogs.windows.com/business/2017/04/04/updated-forrester-study-finds-windows-10-can-increase-roi-enterprises/

Read a summary here: https://blogs.windows.com/business/2017/04/04/updated-forrester-study-finds-windows-10-can-increase-roi-enterprises/

And you can download the report here: http://wincom.blob.core.windows.net/documents/Windows 10 TEI Study.pdf

Go through the Value Estimator here: https://microsoft.valuestoryapp.com/win10

Fabulous, eh! Of course this will all be dismissed as M'soft propaganda. Reminds us of TAT, right? I understand perfectly. Yet we don't have YOUR figures refuting the estimations. Let's see 'em. Just how false is this report you haven't read?

However, other more clearly objective sources seem to agree that a switch to Win 10 may in fact pay off:

For most businesses, Windows 10 looks like a viable proposition.

For the end user it addresses many of the mistakes and missteps of Windows 8, returning the familiarity of Windows 7 with added security and a modern interface optimised for greater mobility across multiple devices used in the workplace.

For IT the security and identity management options are far more robust, and with greater intelligence baked in threats should be flagged and dealt with earlier than before. Add in the improved transparency and analytics, and Windows 10 looks like a winner for both sides.

--https://www.computerworlduk.com/applications/pros-cons-for-businesses-moving-windows-10-3621064/

And there's more to say about the advantages of Win 10 in the corporate world, more articles to reference, but you can of course find those yourself--if you want to. Just the improved bootup time should be a meaningful savings. ;)

This is sufficient to show that you don't really have anything of substance to offer on this irrelevant point yet. However, you'll need first to study up on the concept of ROI, which is pretty fundamental after all.

Now I'd like to know- why does posting a request for information from Windows users on Thai Visa

But you've done a lot more yourself than just post a request for information. If you'd left it at that, then your credibility would still be intact. Nobody would have argued; nobody cares. Instead we also got a rather silly obsession with the Windows interface; posting only out-of-date negative articles about the latest Windows; unsubstantiated claims of widespread losses in productivity; and dark mutterings about the very future of Microsoft! Then you were touting the wonders of Linux (interface & update) w/o mention of the downsides. Meanwhile you made a false comparison re: Windows vs. Linux backup and filesystems. So that's why. Since you're using Linux, you have no reason to be "curious" about Windows users' plans to upgrade--except to question them.

I won't reciprocate by making this issue about your personal preference in operating systems.

Please do. Me, I've given rational reasons for my preference for Windows on my desktop and on one of my netbooks. I also run BunsenLabs on another of my netbooks, the one with only 1GB of RAM as it's fast, it's all I need on a netbook for occasional travel, and--mainly--I enjoy playing around with it for a change.

Edited by JSixpack

21 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

That's a bit of a sore point. Just this week AOL ended its messaging services.

Yep, now it belongs to the ages. Fortunately, whenever AOL nostalgia strikes we do have some recordings.

Guy's an Uber driver now. He recorded those on his home cassette recorder. Hi fi sound wasn't a big internet issue quite yet. :)

If missing the dialup sound there's this:

Evidently AOL still offers dialup access.

Edited by JSixpack

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 3:32 PM, scottiejohn said:

I thought at first that this was an "official" TV Tech survey but it seems it is for your personal use and given your obvious dislike of Windows10 just what are you up to.

Connda

It is my belief that the framing of a poll/vote question is to gather an independent and unbiased set of responses in order to form a reasoned result based on those responses.

(For whatever non commercial/personal purposes the results may be used for!)

Your Initial Statement and responses to comments etc; above have shown a total lack of impartiality.

You have also suggested that you will use all the data/responses and links that posters have provided to this topic/forum for your future advantage when you "finally" upgrade to windows.

Just what was is you agenda?

19 hours ago, JaiMaai said:

Doesn't help much when your machine is powered off overnight and then takes several hours to complete the updates it installed in the background before it was shutdown.

What's can a clearly expert IT guru like you clearly recommend to resolve that?

Leave it powered on.... 

On 10/10/2017 at 7:55 PM, connda said:

I have had issues with the direction the company has chosen to take in their product design, implementation, and support.  And I'm old enough to have watched IBM take the same route with their products and service prior to losing market share and crashing - it's called technological hubris: "We know what the customer needs better than what the customer wants."  That approach will implode the company over time.

Hmmm. Doesn't seem on track to implode again. Quite the opposite; seems to have recovered from the implosion of 2000. 

Now, after 17 long years, the Redmond company has regained the market capitalization of $600 billion. On Thursday, its shares grew 0.4% to $77.91, setting a new all-time high. The corporation had crossed the $500 billion threshold back in January this year.

—Like the good old days: Microsoft's market cap hits $600 billion

Poor Microsoft. And OMG! They're just gon' continue that doomed imploding strategy: Microsoft shows off its Fluent Design changes to Windows 10. Guess they want more o' that implosion. The hubris! Fools.