Who's Reading What?

medicinebox

Glad to see this thread resurrected...I'm presently with Garcia Marquez' 'News of a kidnapping' about actual goings on in Colombia when Pablo Escobar and the Medellin cartel terrorized the country and succeeded in bringing the government to its' knees. Like a lot of ace novelists Garcia Marquez started his writing career as a journalist and his take on actual events is riveting.

It's nice now being in Bahrain where there are plenty of places to by reasonably priced books...big drag in this regard being broke and isolated in Suphan Buri...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to see this thread resurrected...I'm presently with Garcia Marquez'  'News of a kidnapping' about actual goings on in Colombia when Pablo Escobar and the Medellin cartel terrorized the country and succeeded in bringing the government to its' knees. Like a lot of ace novelists Garcia Marquez started his writing career as a journalist and his take on actual events is riveting.

It's nice now being in Bahrain where there are plenty of places to by reasonably priced books...big drag in this regard being broke and isolated in Suphan Buri...

Suphan's not that far from BKK, Tutsi...

Boon...I guess it was the fact of being unemployed and broke rather than the distance to town that mattered most. Like Fred C Dobbs said in The Treasure of the Sierra Madre "Tampico...what a town to be broke in"...Curtin replies "What town isn't?" or words to that effect...being broke as a state of mind not necessarily influenced by environmental considerations...

By the way...anything by B Traven is a worthwhile read...

Glad to see this thread resurrected...I'm presently with Garcia Marquez' 'News of a kidnapping' about actual goings on in Colombia when Pablo Escobar and the Medellin cartel terrorized the country and succeeded in bringing the government to its' knees. Like a lot of ace novelists Garcia Marquez started his writing career as a journalist and his take on actual events is riveting.

You must also read a biography on Pablo Escobar which came out a couple of years ago. Incredible ruthless man, head of a billion dollar empire, he controlled not only the Medellin drug Cartel but put fears into thousands, fed the poor and gave shelter to the homeless....Not a Saint by all means but although a bucolic character very sharp and witty.

I finished the biography on keith Richards a few weeks back and another one by his Bodyguard..Tony Sanchez. Interesting persona definetely a living legend. The Motorcycle Diaries by Che Gueverra is a good read as well. The Bone Man of Benares by Terry Tarnoff is interesting , for light entertainment. It is the story of a Hippie musician travelling around the world and ending up in South East Asia in the late '70s. :o

Currently working on The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time by Mark Haddon simultaneously along with 1421: The Year China Discovered the World by Gavin Menzies (although not progressing) and lastly with a side order of Invisible Trade by Gerrie Lim.

It's nice to have free time to read......I've just got to try to acquire some....