Smoke on Thai beaches this high season and face jail or 100,000 baht fine

webfact

Just now, wealthychef said:

Again, you are drifting into quite the long personal discussion of side issues of who said what, actually drew me in there, nice job.  I refuse to wallow in the stinky mud with you.  The fact is that the article is entirely about removing the right to smoke cigarettes from the beach, not about any of your other noises.  We can save a hell of a lot of time right now if you will just agree that this is a sensible rule, or disagree and give a reason why.  Anything else is truly off topic, which is my only point from the beginning, as much as you have swerved around without addressing it.  

What other noises, I have not drifted off topic, you claim I have but your claim is nonsense, no swerves from me.  I never said the rule was not sensible, I never said a word against it, all I said was that it is not only about smoking on the beach as you claimed but it is also about the litter that smokers drop on the beach in the form of butts, in fact that appears to be primarily what it is about.  You have done nothing but reply to me with nonsense about being off topic, seeking to smoke on beaches, and saying that other things should come first, all figments of your weird imagination.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

I never claimed anything to be more important than anything else or that other ways should not be pursued, it was all your weird little fantasy, or was it myopia you hilariously ironic soul.

OK so, you now agree that the article is about not smoking on beaches?  And why do you have to call me nasty names?   What is the point there?  Which of your arguments does it strengthen if I'm hilariously ironic?  

3 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

hope your hand heals mate. it's not perfect mate. far from it. won't change anytime soon.

Thanks mate, unfortunately, it's as good as it's going to get and that's about as useful as an open Claw, so no longer can I play guitar (I used to busk and play in a band) and golf with my son etc etc., and if I come across a bitter old git, then so be it I guess :)

Back on topic, I will never understand how they ( the Thais that is), come up with their league table of fines/punishments, against the crime committed, if only it made sense then I could come to terms with it, but when I see this sort of headline I'm thinking, jeez, I give up, but I know for sure the family and locals that all love me where I live, also don't understand the difference is, they just accept, which is kinda sad wouldn't you say.

Yes, there is the odd large animal that will eat and be killed by plastic pollution, then there is every single fish that exposed to enough of it will die due to the toxic soup that emerges from a cigarette butt, just because you cant see it as easily as you can the plastic cut out of a whale does not mean it is not real pollution.
I agree with you but let's call a spade a spade here they don't give a shit about the environment. Charging people (and we all know it's only going to be tourist) 200000THB for smoking on the beach is unbelievable. If they tidy up the place and stop the raw shit being pumped in the ocean it wouldn't be ridiculous. It's a cash cow and nothing more it's shameful and pathetic.Now if they charged someone 200000THB for acuallty chucking there butt on the beach I would agree. Let's face it the majority of Tourist smokers dispose of there butts properly I know I did when I smoked.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Just now, Kieran00001 said:

What other noises, I have not drifted off topic, you claim I have but your claim is nonsense, no swerves from me.  I never said the rule was not sensible, I never said a word against it, all I said was that it is not only about smoking on the beach as you claimed but it is also about the litter that smokers drop on the beach in the form of butts, in fact that appears to be primarily what it is about.  You have done nothing but reply to me with nonsense about being off topic, seeking to smoke on beaches, and saying that other things should come first, all figments of your weird imagination.

Nice hair splitting there.  You actually never said this new thing but now that you have said it, ah yes, not only are we talking about smoking but also we are discussing dropping the cigarette butts on the beach.  I don't see an important distinction there, certainly not one warranting all this discussion.  Only smokers drop cigarette butts, and only after smoking.  The point is to prevent the cigarette butts from harming animals.  It's a good rule.  Fine, we agree, done.  

OK so, you now agree that the article is about not smoking on beaches?  And why do you have to call me nasty names?   What is the point there?  Which of your arguments does it strengthen if I'm hilariously ironic?  

You called myopic, what argument did you think that would strengthen? 

You have called me out on all sorts of things I never said, that is why you are ironic, as you are the one with the poor eyesight, so the argument I made that is strengthened by pointing out your irony is the argument against your false claims, I thought that would be obvious.

What nasty names have I called you?  You need to sort your head out, you're falsly accusing me of saying all sorts of things I didn't say, it isn't normal to do that.

And finally, I never argued against the premise of the article further than stating the clear fact that it is not only about smoking on beaches but also about littering with cigarette butts, or have you still not made it past the headline?

Just now, Kiteboy57 said:

Thanks mate, unfortunately, it's as good as it's going to get and that's about as useful as an open Claw, so no longer can I play guitar (I used to busk and play in a band) and golf with my son etc etc., and if I come across a bitter old git, then so be it I guess :)

Back on topic, I will never understand how they ( the Thais that is), come up with their league table of fines/punishments, against the crime committed, if only it made sense then I could come to terms with it, but when I see this sort of headline I'm thinking, jeez, I give up, but I know for sure the family and locals that all love me where I live, also don't understand the difference is, they just accept, which is kinda sad wouldn't you say.

that's basically it. there really is no explanation. it's how it is here. shhh 5555. buskings illegal here so you didn't miss out there. golfs boring. can play cards though ; )

3 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

Nice hair splitting there.  You actually never said this new thing but now that you have said it, ah yes, not only are we talking about smoking but also we are discussing dropping the cigarette butts on the beach.  I don't see an important distinction there, certainly not one warranting all this discussion.  Only smokers drop cigarette butts, and only after smoking.  The point is to prevent the cigarette butts from harming animals.  It's a good rule.  Fine, we agree, done.  

It was my first comment, the one you first replied to about me wanting to smoke on the beach and other such made up nonsense.  You really need to pay attention to either what you are reading or to the state of your mental health, I am not sure which is the issue here.

6 minutes ago, juice777 said:

I agree with you but let's call a spade a spade here they don't give a shit about the environment. Charging people (and we all know it's only going to be tourist) 200000THB for smoking on the beach is unbelievable. If they tidy up the place and stop the raw shit being pumped in the ocean it wouldn't be ridiculous. It's a cash cow and nothing more it's shameful and pathetic.Now if they charged someone 200000THB for acuallty chucking there butt on the beach I would agree. Let's face it the majority of Tourist smokers dispose of there butts properly I know I did when I smoked.

Lets face it that is not true, the majority of smokers throw their butts on the ground, a small minority dispose of them properly.

On 10/10/2017 at 9:35 AM, webfact said:

is targeting smokers as it tries to rid the country of an unwanted tag as one of the biggest environmental polluters in the world.

Has anyone considered targeting people who have bowel movements, or people who eat/drink from plastic containers, the "actual" cause of Thailand's beach pollution.

A quick visit to any beach in Thailand will confirm that cig butts are a minor part of the problem.

Just now, Happy enough said:

that's basically it. there really is no explanation. it's how it is here. shhh 5555. buskings illegal here so you didn't miss out there. golfs boring. can play cards though ; )

even cards are against the law. basically everything is against the law. the police made that. they need cash. betting at the racecourse is allowed however. thats royal connections with the uk. sport of kings and all that

Lets face it that is not true, the majority of smokers throw their butts on the ground, a small minority dispose of them properly.

Maybe but I was talking about the beaches(sorry I didn't make that clear) . Chucking you butts on the pavement is wrong I suppose but on the beaches is a million times worst.

28 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Really ???... the "if you don't like it go home" response... please please please (some) members of ThaiVisa, I deplore you to come up with something which shows you have a least smattering of intelligence....

Kiteboys comments are highly valid - He clearly cares for this country, but it is often the case that many here don't care for their own country or each other, this is clearly evident each and every day which ever area of Thailand you are in... People driving carelessly and aggressively, and back on Topic: if you walk around with your eyes open the rampant littering is plain to see. Take a look at any vacant piece of land, take a look at any Khlong which backs on to housing....   It clearly shows that a lot of Thai's do indeed throw their sh!t on the floor... perhaps not most, but a significantly large enough majority to make such issues readily visible to anyone passing.

Yes, the old chestnut  "if you don't like it go home" response gets right up my nose as well (as does "deal with it") 

2 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

Haha, thankfully I don't need to busk anymore, never say never though, but as my lawyer said, it's all about Loss of opportunity, and bringing things back on topic, the loss of opportunity to have a smoke and cheeky beer, whilst lying on a beach watching the tide ebb n flow, is a serious loss to my reduced life's pleasures :( 

Just now, Kieran00001 said:

You called myopic, what argument did you think that would strengthen? 

You have called me out on all sorts of things I never said, that is why you are ironic, as you are the one with the poor eyesight, so the argument I made that is strengthened by pointing out your irony is the argument against your false claims, I thought that would be obvious.

What nasty names have I called you?  You need to sort your head out, you're falsly accusing me of saying all sorts of things I didn't say, it isn't normal to do that.

And finally, I never argued against the premise of the article further than stating the clear fact that it is not only about smoking on beaches but also about littering with cigarette butts, or have you still not made it past the headline?

OK settle down.  It's over. Maybe I got you mixed up with some other person, let's just say that.  I don't want to go back through this huge thread and figure it all out.  Not worth it.  

6 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

It was my first comment, the one you first replied to about me wanting to smoke on the beach and other such made up nonsense.  You really need to pay attention to either what you are reading or to the state of your mental health, I am not sure which is the issue here.

You really need to stop with the mental health comments, since you are with me all the way on this stupid series of petty gripes.  That's the personal attack thing I was talking about.  Can you see how I might take that as ad hominem?  

Just now, Kiteboy57 said:

Haha, thankfully I don't need to busk anymore, never say never though, but as my lawyer said, it's all about Loss of opportunity, and bringing things back on topic, the loss of opportunity to have a smoke and cheeky beer, whilst lying on a beach watching the tide ebb n flow, is a serious loss to my reduced life's pleasures :( 

i doubt that any thai would interfere in that. they just woudn't

You really need to stop with the mental health comments, since you are with me all the way on this stupid series of petty gripes.  That's the personal attack thing I was talking about.  Can you see how I might take that as ad hominem?  

Read your comments, from the first one I wrote through your replies and see if you think they make the slightest bit of sense, if you are well then they should shock you.

Th

3 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Read your comments, from the first one I wrote through your replies and see if you think they make the slightest bit of sense, if you are well then they should shock you.

There are 368 replies in this thread.  Have no idea when you jumped in.  Don't care. 

2 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

You have not done well here.  

I used to have a dog, named Tippy Toes, cute little mongrel.  She always had to have the last word.  She would bark, and you would say "quiet!"  She would then bark again, and no matter what, she always had to have the last word.  Bark, Tippy, bark!  :-)  

Come on boys, stop all the sledging (sure there's another word for it re forum bashing :), the Laws an Ass, end of, I think the majority of us feel the same way,  sadly as a previous poster replied to my words ( or pretty much, on this topic, like it or we'll have to lump it, as per. Hey Ho!

40 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

I used to have a dog, named Tippy Toes, cute little mongrel.  She always had to have the last word.  She would bark, and you would say "quiet!"  She would then bark again, and no matter what, she always had to have the last word.  Bark, Tippy, bark!  :-)  

I never said a word to your mongrel.

16 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

Always another little bark.  Sometimes she would hide grapes behind the couch too.  

Any chance you two might get back on topic rather than trying to increase your number of posts, or see who gets the last word?

5 minutes ago, sambum said:

Any chance you two might get back on topic rather than trying to increase your number of posts, or see who gets the last word?

Are you saying we should butt out?  That we're just talking garbage?  Need to clean up our act?  What we're doing is not fine?  

Archived