Operators preparing for the storm as Pattaya smoking ban approaches

webfact

Operators preparing for the storm as Pattaya smoking ban approaches

2pm.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

Manager reported that business was usual on Pattaya Beach yesterday with tourists smoking and tossing their butts in the sand.

But with the November 1st deadline on the cards - and a whopping year in jail or 100,000 fine waiting to catch smokers - the operators were understandably concerned at what would happen.

One operator Saranya Yingyortram, 33, said that no one had officially told them about the plans. They were concerned about the high penalties being spoken of.

She urged the authorities to conduct a PR campaign in advance of the start of next month to inform both Thai and foreign tourists of the ban.

She also hoped that signage would be installed and places to throw butts organised as well as an area where smokers could have a puff.

Phatrajit Chiawkit, another deckchair operator, was already talking to tourists and giving them ashtrays.

"We will help to break the news about this," she said, "and encourage tourists to dispose of their butts in the correct place".

Manager said that the ban was slated for 20 beaches including those in Pattaya, Cha-Am, Hua Hin, and Bang Saen.

They did not mention Phuket but Patong is also believed to be on the list.

They added that Khao Takiap south of Hua Hin would also see the ban in place.

Other beaches around Thailand affected are in Rayong, Chantaburi, Pangnga, Pattani, Songkhla and on Koh Lanta and Koh Si Chang, they said.

Penalties are severe as environment damage legislation is being used to deter smoking and the throwing of the butts on the beaches.

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-10-11

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, webfact said:

Phatrajit Chiawkit, another deckchair operator, was already talking to tourists and giving them ashtrays.

So is it okay to smoke if you are using an ashtray, or is it a total No, No? I see lots of horror stories emanating from this.

This is another fine example of how Thailand just can't get their head around why nothing works - a fine example would be the accident and death rate on Thai roads, they can't see that law enforcement is a failure.

As similar in this case, it is not the smoking or drinking or eating that is the crime - it is what people do with their leftovers - again this comes down to enforcement

I'd also be willing to bet that the area of the beach they performed this so called investigation on a Phuket beach is right where the jetski renters have been operating for years 

1 minute ago, NCC1701A said:

Can you imagine after your long flight the first morning on the beach, not knowing anything about this new law, you relax and light up and get fined $3000 USD?

well yes if you discard your rubbish on the beach including cigarette butts, then it makes sense

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Manager reported that business was usual on Pattaya Beach yesterday with tourists smoking and tossing their butts in the sand.

What a load of BS, 90% of beach goers pay their 100 baht for a chair, umbrella, table service, rubbish bin, and an ash tray if required or someone cleans up your table after you eat drink etc . Just like any other resturant, bar etc.

The odd person may set up on their towel and then leave behind rubbish but most will sit at the beach vendors.

This is addressing a problem that really doesn't exists.

The problem is water and sewage treatment, plastic bags and bottles, cigarette butts are way at the bottom of the list.

Just now, HooHaa said:

just another entry on the endless list or reasons to avoid pattaya altogether.

This report is to do with Pattaya but the ban is at beaches all over Thailand.

1 hour ago, stanleycoin said:

Reckon the beach vendors have found a new way to

supplement there income from the last few crackdowns on them.

Synchronized grassing up to the cops,  is on it's way.

Win Win. :thumbsup:

Ps what a stupid rule,  let the people have a smoke out side if they want.

I smoke and have no objection to walking 20 or 30 metres to an area where I can smoke and throw the cig' butt in a bin.

Can't see a problem.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Penalties are severe as environment damage legislation is being used to deter smoking and the throwing of the butts on the beaches.

As far as I can see, its not much to do with banning smoking, public health etc, its being put forward as the holy grail of "What is causing the beach pollution". Its environmental damage laws, not public health laws.

How stupid do I feel, I always thought it was sewage and plastic bags.

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Can you imagine after your long flight and the first morning on the beach, not knowing anything about this new law, you relax and light up and get fined $3000 USD?

Yes, what a shock.  

Fines for littering -- quite understandable. But such draconian penalties for smoking are

a bit ridiculous. I don't smoke, but logically, this new rule, if enforced, would very likely have

a huge negative affect on tourism. Have the authorities even considered that?

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

I smoke and have no objection to walking 20 or 30 metres to an area where I can smoke and throw the cig' butt in a bin.

Can't see a problem.

There won't be any bins to throw away any garbage, butts in.

You'll have to walk back to your hotel or where you live to find one.

16 minutes ago, BradinAsia said:

Yes, what a shock.  

Fines for littering -- quite understandable. But such draconian penalties for smoking are

a bit ridiculous. I don't smoke, but logically, this new rule, if enforced, would very likely have

a huge negative affect on tourism. Have the authorities even considered that?

Everything in Thailand is about money, short term money income. 

They don't care as long as the trickle of money flows up.

4 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Can you imagine after your long flight and the first morning on the beach, not knowing anything about this new law, you relax and light up and get fined $3000 USD?

Why dont theyjust put  signs at swampy tell tourists of all the restrictions, smoking,  drinking etc and recomend that they just get a flight to Cambodia/Vietnam as they are not really wanted here other than to charge and fine.?

As a non-smoker I think this is great! Nothing worse than getting the stench of cigarette  smoke when "kicking it" at the beach.  A good start, hopefully restaurants are next!!!   The penalties mentioned however are ludicrous and open for corruption as is everything else.  Also, as someone mentioned in a previous post, these law makers are evading the obvious problem of the seriously polluted beaches. This law will NOT help! 555.  But thank you for the clean air!