new rules for teaching on Non-B Visa (extension)?

Just a heads up for people teaching on a Non-B Visa (extension).

A little background first, to answer any inevitable questions that will be asked.

I am 54 years old. I am a registered teacher in the UK (full teaching qualification in the UK). I have 19 years of experience teaching English as a foreign language. I have been in Thailand on a Non-B Visa, extended for 8 years now. I work full-time at a non-Government English school.

Today, I went to do my extension for next year. The rules have changed, but I haven’t read anywhere about the changes. Now, teachers in non-Government schools are ONLY given 6 months extension. After 6 months, we have to apply again (at an additional 1,900 Baht)…. So, a non-B extension is now, in effect, 3,800 Baht for 1 year! This is at Hua Hin Immigration.

Another teacher that I know (not the same school) has just messaged me to say that they have been given the same extension, so it is not only me.

* edit: changed "visa" to "extension" because some clever bugger will make the point that I am not on a visa, but an extension of my original visa!

Edited by tokyoblond
  • Like 1

Haven't heard about this 'new' rule for teachers who are going to Hua Hin or Phetchaburi Immigration. Are you sure it's not related to the temporary teaching permit (aka provisional teaching permit aka waiver) from the Teachers' Council of Thailand? Those Immigration Offices are known for not giving extensions of stay based on employment as a teachers, exceeding the expiration date of the teaching permit.

Hi aidenai.... no, this has nothing to do with a temporary teaching permit.

I posted on Facebook too and got some interesting PMs...... it seems that a Thai lady set up an "English school" as a visa mill and was processing Non-B Visas for foreigners who never have been nor ever will be teachers. She was caught and the outcome of that is that ALL teachers with Non-B Visas/extensions in non-government schools (in this area) are now being given only 6 months. However, the teachers that have contacted me are all on extensions of 3, 4, 5+ years with schools that had nothing to do with this other corrupt school. The extensions, they (and I) are renewing our visa on are with legitimate, Ministry of Education licensed schools.

So, it seems that Immigration have decided to punish the "good guys" because of one "bad guy" (or one Thai lady, in this case). And who's going to fight them? Hua Hin is a relatively small town, and we all know that next year, or in 6 months, we still have to face that Immigration officer again and he or she can make it even more difficult for us next time. It is frustrating, not because of the cost but because of the paperwork, the medical, the preparation and all because of something/someone we had no control over and that had nothing whatsoever to do with us. 

The mantra of bad guys out/good guys in is farcical if you decide to punish the good guys for the bad guys' indiscretions. 

Sad all round, but TIT :(

• Like 1

For what it's worth, I'm currently working for a private language school at the moment in Pathum Thani. Pathum Thani immigration will also only give 6-month extensions to language school teachers. No justification (official or otherwise) given. However, the school I'm working for also has branches in a couple of other provinces. Teachers based out of those immigration offices are still getting one-year extensions. 

• 4 weeks later...

Confirmation and even perhaps even more bad news from the south... I work for a private language school who even provide teaching to many government offices in Nakhon Si Thammarat and yet the Immigration office here would still  only give me a 90 day extension on my non immigrant B visa today... I'm teaching their colleagues for goodness sake!

That's 1900 baht every 3 months which the school has to pay to keep me here.

Thailand really is becoming one of the worst places to teach in South-East Asia... easily the lowest paid and fraught with corruption, exploitation and top level bureaucracy that makes your toes curl.

Thai work mates could do with being a bit more pleasant too... anyway Taiwan looks interesting!

B visa ext.jpg

• Like 1