Terror as lift plunges from fourth floor to ground injuring 14 department store staff

webfact

2 hours ago, balo said:

Nonsense , there are maintenance and service contracts for elevators in Thailand.  The few accidents that do happen here is caused by service men that forget something , like installing the automatic switch for the brakes etc. 

Note the keywords that I have stressed: legislation, inspect and certify.

Not maintenance and service. As some has pointed out on quality of such service...

'Well known department store'. Here we go again; prestige over principles. When is a media outlet going to locate some balls and put each and every flagrant violator of basic safety standards in the spotlight? Let's be frank, if they all grew brass ones at the same time, these morons would be hard pushed to sue them all.

If tourists had been in the lift, does Thailand seriously think that its lawmakers' peculiar take on defamation would concern the tourists or their families in the slightest?

I have a mate who has worked on lifts for 30 years and he says; both the cables and the brake mechanism would have to fail for an elevator to free fall. This does not mean a combined failure cannot happen, and the only ones known are the ones that planes have hit buildings and sheared the cables, knocked the power generator out and the brakes failed.

Will have to keep an eye out for planes next time I am in a department store I guess ?

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I have a mate who has worked on lifts for 30 years and he says; both the cables and the brake mechanism would have to fail for an elevator to free fall.

I think we can blame the service men , maybe they forgot to turn on the switch for the brakes, and then the cables failed. That's what worries me the most , that they do not check everything.  

On 10/13/2017 at 5:36 PM, Just Weird said:

Why wouldn't it?

" Would an office building have lifts rated to carry 14 passengers? "

"Why wouldn't it?"

An ordinary low-rise office building would likely have elevators rated at around one metric ton. Fourteen passengers at 71 kg each would be right at the limit.

It still shouldn't fall but it would tempt any existing defects.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/12/2017 at 11:47 AM, trogers said:

All because there is no legislation to ensure elevators are inspected and certified fit for use, like vehicles on the roads...

Are you sure there is no legislation? And are you sure that where there's legislation accidents do not occur? Are we once again discussing of "this is Thailand, ya know, what do you expect?" and on and on? 

Have a look:

1. here
  2. here
  3. here
  4. here

Hope it's enough... otherwise just go on Google and have fun.

41 minutes ago, Italian guy said:

Are you sure there is no legislation? And are you sure that where there's legislation accidents do not occur? Are we once again discussing of "this is Thailand, ya know, what do you expect?" and on and on? 

Have a look:

1. here
  2. here
  3. here
  4. here

Hope it's enough... otherwise just go on Google and have fun.

Having legislation for compulsory inspection and certification would cut down on incidents, not eliminate them totally.

Imagine the carnage on the roads should Thailand do away with annual vehicle inspection.

Or are you an advocate for perfection only and against anything less?

Edited by trogers

1 minute ago, trogers said:

Having legislation for compulsory inspection and certification would cut down on incidents, not eliminate them totally.

Imagine the carnage on the roads should Thailand do away with annual vehicle inspection.

I don't mean Thailand is the safest country in the world but I haven't read of many elevator crashes in my over 10 years in LoS. Accidents do happen... If we talk of the roads that's all another story.

30 minutes ago, Italian guy said:

I don't mean Thailand is the safest country in the world but I haven't read of many elevator crashes in my over 10 years in LoS. Accidents do happen... If we talk of the roads that's all another story.

It's not the past that's worrying. It's the future when all those high-rise buildings that have been sprouting out since the early 2000s become decades old.

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 7:55 PM, johng said:
On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 5:32 PM, sanemax said:

If you jump up and down, you would stand a 50% chance of survival

No jumping doesn't help one bit....proved by "the Mythbusters"

In fact it would help - supposing that you make the big  jump at the exact right time! - but it would help just a little bit, way to little to save you or reduce any corporal damage.