Opening a Bank account in. Bangkok

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

Without an account with a Thai bank, yes.

Thanks. Would you say I wont be able to manage alright without a bank account? I am thinking about managing with a wallet in my purse and the rest of them notes in a safe box which will hold other things like passport etc at my digs. Owing to the horror of using bank products. Do you think Thai banks were better than Indian banks in terms of their operational excellence, in case you knew?

Edited by Aditi Sharma
edit

5 hours ago, banjoe said:

Cheers for that. Showed the reidence cert from immi and then had account within 10 mins, albeit with a Chelsea FC bankcard, bankbook and t-shirt. Gave the wife the shirtemoji1.png

Sent from my SM-G950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Which Central Plaza? There are maybe 10 Central Plazas in Bangkok

With which kind of Visa? Obviously not a tourist Visa, because with a tourst Visa you don't get a certificate of residence in BKK

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

With which kind of Visa? Obviously not a tourist Visa, because with a tourst Visa you don't get a certificate of residence in BKK

By certificate of residence, I wonder if he meant his hotel booking 

11 hours ago, Aditi Sharma said:

Thanks. Would you say I wont be able to manage alright without a bank account? I am thinking about managing with a wallet in my purse and the rest of them notes in a safe box which will hold other things like passport etc at my digs. Owing to the horror of using bank products. Do you think Thai banks were better than Indian banks in terms of their operational excellence, in case you knew?

As long as you do not need extensions of stay that require proof of money in a Thai bank, it would seem feasible to operate without a Thai bank account. The service provided by Thai banks varies a lot from bank to bank and branch to branch. Overall, they are not a problem if you have an ATM card (cheap and almost invariably people have them). You may also be able to get Internet banking on your account, though likely not on a tourist visa.

6 hours ago, BritTim said:

As long as you do not need extensions of stay that require proof of money in a Thai bank, it would seem feasible to operate without a Thai bank account. The service provided by Thai banks varies a lot from bank to bank and branch to branch. Overall, they are not a problem if you have an ATM card (cheap and almost invariably people have them). You may also be able to get Internet banking on your account, though likely not on a tourist visa.

oi vey,  i should have known there was a bank balance requirement for getting an extension of stay on my 90 day non imm B visa. 

2 minutes ago, Aditi Sharma said:

oi vey,  i should have known there was a bank balance requirement for getting an extension of stay on my 90 day non imm B visa. 

The is none in your case. There is only a minimum salary requirement.

• Thanks 1

FWIW, I was able to open a savings account yesterday with Krungsri on 3rd floor of EmQuartier in Bangkok. I brought with me a 6 month condo lease and my Irish passport which has a METV in it. Half an hour later I had a bank book, ATM card and mobile banking.

I tried Bangkok Bank next door but was told they wanted a notarised copy of my passport from the embassy.

1 minute ago, steeb said:

FWIW, I was able to open a savings account yesterday with Krungsri on 3rd floor of EmQuartier in Bangkok. I brought with me a 6 month condo lease and my Irish passport which has a METV in it. Half an hour later I had a bank book, ATM card and mobile banking.

I tried Bangkok Bank next door but was told they wanted a notarised copy of my passport from the embassy.

Have you tried using the account to see if it works?

3 hours ago, steeb said:

I've not yet transferred funds into it from the UK but using the mobile app I can see the initial B500 deposit

It was reported in the press here recently that many people lost the money from their bank accounts after account details saved to mobile apps were stolen and used to transfer money to overseas accounts. How well protected are you? 

Edited by Aditi Sharma
edit

It was reported in the press here recently that many people lost the money from their bank accounts after account details saved to mobile apps were stolen and used to transfer money to overseas accounts. How well protected are you? 

Has been in the news since the invention of internet banking. What does this (and a dozen of other quite low noise-to-signal ratio questions) have to do with the way of opening a bank account in Thailand?
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Aditi Sharma said:

Internet banking is inherently dangerous. Your account credentials might be stolen in a variety of ways. Once this happens, in Thailand, the main protection is usually only OTP (one time passwords) to your mobile phone. This is not safe against a skilled attacker (even if your phone is not stolen) as there are ways of fraudulently getting a replacement SIM card. Better is where Internet banking is secured with a USB security appliance provided by the bank.

Where fraud using Internet banking is committed, it can be difficult sometimes to know whether it really is third party fraud or the account holder pulling a fast one. Banks in Thailand tend to put the onus on you to prove you did not execute transactions before they will consider reimbursement. Indeed, there have been cases of tampered with ATMs in Thailand being used to commit fraud, and victims taking a year or more to get their money back.

A little paranoia is not altogether a bad thing in dealing with banks. Thailand's banks are probably more trustworthy than those in most third world countries, but do not expect Western standards.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

Internet banking is inherently dangerous. Your account credentials might be stolen in a variety of ways. Once this happens, in Thailand, the main protection is usually only OTP (one time passwords) to your mobile phone. This is not safe against a skilled attacker (even if your phone is not stolen) as there are ways of fraudulently getting a replacement SIM card. Better is where Internet banking is secured with a USB security appliance provided by the bank.

Where fraud using Internet banking is committed, it can be difficult sometimes to know whether it really is third party fraud or the account holder pulling a fast one. Banks in Thailand tend to put the onus on you to prove you did not execute transactions before they will consider reimbursement. Indeed, there have been cases of tampered with ATMs in Thailand being used to commit fraud, and victims taking a year or more to get their money back.

A little paranoia is not altogether a bad thing in dealing with banks. Thailand's banks are probably more trustworthy than those in most third world countries, but do not expect Western standards.

Thanks for the lecture but ones chances of being the victim of a fraud, identity theft, credit card fraud are much much greater in a "western standard" country.  As supported by statistics, these crimes are rampant in the USA as compared to Thailand.

• Like 1

Sorry, Central Festival and with a non-o based on marriage from Savannakhet.
As an aside, i got a couple of credit cards from Bangkok bank. I have a platinum visa which can be used to top up miles with Bangkok airways and Thai airways. and an Air Asia master card which came with a few perks too.
You just deposit 100k in a seperate account with the bank.
The Platinum leader can be gotten when leaving 200k with them which earns twice the mileage of the Platinum visa i believe.
Anyway theyre both great for hiring cars abroad or onine shopping.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On ‎14‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:26 AM, Foozool said:

Why don't you give the bank name and location ? 

How long ago was it ?

I don't think it is that easy anymore. 

I have bank accounts with Bangkok Bank, but I tried to open a new one at different branches, the answer was: need "confirmation address" by consulate or immigration. I'm on retirement extension not even on tourist visa. 

I tried to open a fixed rate deposit account with L and H bank had passport, blue book not enough wanted a cert of residence.

Edited by akampa

14 hours ago, SicTransit said:

Has been in the news since the invention of internet banking. What does this (and a dozen of other quite low noise-to-signal ratio questions) have to do with the way of opening a bank account in Thailand?

How can I make sure my information is safe with the bank I have opened an account with blindly? Blindly meaning without asking the "quite low noise-to-signal ratio questions."

Edited by Aditi Sharma
edit

4 hours ago, Aditi Sharma said:

How can I make sure my information is safe with the bank I have opened an account with blindly? Blindly meaning without asking the "quite low noise-to-signal ratio questions."

You can't be! But your money is as safe with any of the retail banks in Thailand as it is anywhere else in the world.

If your worried about someone emptying your account then don't leave too much in there, wherever it's located. And get yourself a credit card to use when travelling.

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

You can't be! But your money is as safe with any of the retail banks in Thailand as it is anywhere else in the world.

If your worried about someone emptying your account then don't leave too much in there, wherever it's located. And get yourself a credit card to use when travelling.

Thanks for your patience!

Lets say I put 3000 dollars in the account to begin with which is roughly 200,000 Indian rupees which is a lot of money here to leave in a savings account which pays an interest of 3.5%. 

Lets say I have to get out of the Kingdom vowing never to go back because of problems ---not legal but of a personal nature like disagreement with boss etc -and I want to take that money out, close the account out and leave. How easy is it to do so in Thailand, can you please tell me?

Also, are there hidden fees that I have to be beware of?

Thanks

On second thoughts: I think I will just walk into a branch of several branches and see how they sell it to me and go with the best. At the back of my mind what I am thinking is are banking rules changeable at the whim of the officer like it is in immigration matters???

Edited by Aditi Sharma
PS

5 minutes ago, Aditi Sharma said:

Thanks for your patience!

Lets say I put 3000 dollars in the account to begin with which is roughly 200,000 Indian rupees which is a lot of money here to leave in a savings account which pays an interest of 3.5%. 

Lets say I have to get out of the Kingdom vowing never to go back because of problems ---not legal but of a personal nature like disagreement with boss etc -and I want to take that money out, close the account out and leave. How easy is it to do so in Thailand, can you please tell me?

Also, are there hidden fees that I have to be beware of?

Thanks

Just keep a record showing that the money originally came from overseas and no issues at all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aditi Sharma said:

Sir, are banking rules changeable at the whim of the officer like it is in immigration matters, pls?

Not that I am aware of. I have 2 accounts here with 2 different banks and have no fears whatsoever. I would not put everything in but I would not do that anywhere in the world including the USA.