Stricter controls over firearms, fireworks and explosives

snoop1130

Since permits have only been issued to foreigners with permanent residence who are working in Thailand, these are relatively respectable residents who have all been checked for home country criminal records when they were processed for PR in addition to the regular Thai criminal record and finger print check.  They have also not been issued at all to foreigners by provincial governors in places where the foreign mafias hang out like Phuket, Samui and Pattaya. On the other hand, it is very easy for Thais, specially those living in Bangkok to get permits, as long as they can show a minimal salary and 50,000 baht in the bank.   It seems logical to assume that the foreigners with permits are probably amongst the  most responsible gun owners in the Kingdom.  It might make more sense to raise the bar of gun ownership for Thais or everyone instead.  At the very least a basic gun safety course that cannot be avoided by paying a bribe should be mandatory.  I have seen a lot of Thai gun owners handling their firearms in very unsafe ways at ranges, purely through ignorance.  That is not to mention Thai gun shop owners and staff who often point guns at customers without checking they are clear first and put live rounds, rather than dummies, into cylinders and chambers to test feeding.    

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Predictably there seems to be a lot of resentment against perceived unequal treatment of foreigners v Thai citizens.

Just on the off-chance, I thought I would google some info on the law as it pertains in the 'land of the free' . Surely with their sense of fair play and the right to arm bears it should be the same for everyone ?

Not so, apparently... http://wdfw.wa.gov/help/questions/118/What+are+the+firearms+possession+rules+for+non-U.S.+citizens%3F

Surely some mistake ?

2 hours ago, grollies said:

Why on earth would you take a gun with you away from the house? Ours is kept for a specific reason, we don't carry it round in the car :blink:.

Obviously, don't know your reasoning, but if the reason is 'protection' (most people's reasoning), then the gun is really of no use at all. As one, it is probably locked up so no real use in a home invasion as by the time you are alerted to the invasion it is probably too late. And two, unless the house is a high risk target due to some criminal, political element etc, the chances of needing protection in public far outweigh the chances of needing it at home. 

I think guns are not wise in the home or outside, but all the Thai I know who own guns have them in a case everywhere they go (as it is for 'protection' in their eyes). If someone has a gun for protection and don't take it outside, then really there is absolutely no need in their own minds for a gun at all (as they must feel relatively safe to feel not to need it in the potentially more dangerous context than the home). And as the other poster mentioned, why have a gun if people don't bother to practice. Would be the same as having a car but never driving it - when the person finally does pull it out, it is an accident waiting to happen. 

13 hours ago, coconuthead said:

it's a good move keeping guns out of the hands of foreigners after what we saw with the old rabid aussie yesterday

He was a Brit... show some respect ( preferably before a real Aussie screws the pooch, making it redundant ???)

57 minutes ago, dunque said:

Predictably there seems to be a lot of resentment against perceived unequal treatment of foreigners v Thai citizens.

Just on the off-chance, I thought I would google some info on the law as it pertains in the 'land of the free' . Surely with their sense of fair play and the right to arm bears it should be the same for everyone ?

Not so, apparently... http://wdfw.wa.gov/help/questions/118/What+are+the+firearms+possession+rules+for+non-U.S.+citizens%3F

Surely some mistake ?

Lol.... did you bother to read the info contained in the link... basically all a non resident requires to possess a firearm, is a pulse.

several years ago, I was pulled over in Bakersfield... the cop wanted to see our guns ( a group of five travelers), but refused to believe we had none..... after searching our car, and finding no firearms, he gave us directions to a gun shop, and advised that we should drop past and arm ourselves

4 hours ago, Arkady said:

Another thing I noticed, which may be extremely distressing for some, is that the fee for a permit to manufacture gun powder for personal use has been increased 60 fold from 5 to 300 baht. 

Fees for regular Por 4 licences have also gone up 10 fold from 100 to 5,000 baht but I think the fees were last revised in 1979 and probably won't be revised again for a good few years. I am also told that they want increase from 100 to 5,000 baht all in one go  but will probably increase it to 1,000 baht first and leave the rest till later. 

You mean the 'theoretical' fee of 100 Baht, ...without the 'tea money' for the police, the village headman and the district official, I guess? Making a total of several thousand Baht in the present reality. When those corrupt(!) people want to go on with the same multipying factor with the new fee of 5,000 they'd expect brown envelopes of a couple hunderd thousand for each permit. Maybe quite cheap in their logic, just like for throwing away a couple of cigarettes on a beach?

Edited by bangrak

14 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

Good measure, cause we all know its those foreigners driving around with guns in their car and waving them around as soon as someone passes them on the highway.

They're also the pretend-hitmen on mopeds. And, no doubt, were in charge of the army's armaments stock when Redshirts apparently stole weapons in 2010.

9 hours ago, juice777 said:

There you go Americans if Thailand can change a amendment any country can.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Yes... but... does it make sense?

im sure it happens, but I'm yet to read about a farangs killing someone with a gun... I missed that post ( sincerely)

but i sure as s*** didn't miss the multiple posts about Thais shooting people.

19 hours ago, Time Traveller said:

Well we're not all tough guys like you. For us mere mortals who aren't adept at unarmed defense like you and Steven Seagal, the firearm is the last line of defense. Women, elderly and disabled people in particular. But with the Government saying certain persons are allowed firearms and certain persons are not, just means you drawn a line between those people whose lives are worth protecting and those people who's lives are not worth protecting.....

If you disagree, feel free to msg me, I'd love to learn all about your secrets to unarmed defense, especially for mobility impaired people.

You may want to read this article:

http://beta.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-0804-hemenway-defensive-gun-home-20150730-story.html

4 hours ago, Ruffian Dick said:

Gosh, then laws do no good...?

Well let's just say in some countries more than others...

Armed local criminals need the comfort and reassurance of knowing that if they should decide to invade your home or assault you personally they won't need to chance your being able to confront them or defend yourself or your family or your property.

And actually, the same criminal-favoring rationale is quite popular in the west as well.

Edited by hawker9000

35 minutes ago, hawker9000 said:

Well let's just say in some countries more than others...

Armed local criminals need the comfort and reassurance of knowing that if they should decide to invade your home or assault you personally they won't need to chance your being able to confront them or defend yourself or your family or your property.

And actually, the same criminal-favoring rationale is quite popular in the west as well.

Hmm, ALL laws do the same thing. In firearms discussions, it's often commented that gun laws won't stop criminals.

But that generalization can be applied to all laws and all criminals.

Does it seem that the Thais are betraying a fearful reaction to recent USA gun violence?

Edited by Ruffian Dick

17 hours ago, digger70 said:

Self Defense  comes to mind , especially with all the mafia and Gun ho Idiots around .They shoot you around here  for a frowned look.

you need to change the area where you live or change your attitude before you end up in big trouble.

On 13/10/2017 at 8:41 AM, coconuthead said:

it's a good move keeping guns out of the hands of foreigners after what we saw with the old rabid aussie yesterday

Ah yes, subsequently found to be a British subject and looking at the video Thailand would be a better place without the coward punching mongrel he was targeting.