Decent coffee somewhere around Nana/Asoke ?

Sandy Freckle

Can anyone recommend somewhere to get a decent coffee in the morning..., somewhere around the areas of Nana/Asoke BTS on Sukhumvit ?
I don't want to offend anyone but please not American Starbucks style..., I prefer European..., or specifically Italian style. 

Edited by Sandy Freckle

I always found the coffee to be decent in the little shop at Nana BTS (exit closest to Soi 8 near the new condo build). Good coffee, friendly staff and seems to have a lot of regular customers. 

Also Chu in exchange tower is good. 

There's a place on the bottom floor of the right building at Em Quartier (so Phrom Phong but only one stop from Asoke) called D'ark. It has a wide selection of black coffees (different countries, roasts etc) and different options like cold drip, airspresso etc. 

Honey Hotel Coffee Shop! Soi 19 about half km down on the left. Small pot...2 cups...B50. Should visit at least once anyway, as this Viet Nam War era landmark is now in it's final weeks. Set to close doors forever 31 December and be razed next year. Great old hotel and good coffee too! :thumbsup: :coffee1:

Edited by Skeptic7

Could any knowledgeable coffee drinker shed some light on the quality of  Seagafredo coffee . I have never tried it as I see that they mix robusta coffee beans in with arabica beans and I've always thought that 100% Arabica was the gold standard and why should I pay Arabica price for beans diluted with Robusta beans.

i guess ultimately taste matters at the end if the day and if Seagafredo can achieve that with mixed beans then it shouldn't matter 

32 minutes ago, AJBangkok said:

Could any knowledgeable coffee drinker shed some light on the quality of  Seagafredo coffee . I have never tried it as I see that they mix robusta coffee beans in with arabica beans and I've always thought that 100% Arabica was the gold standard and why should I pay Arabica price for beans diluted with Robusta beans.

i guess ultimately taste matters at the end if the day and if Seagafredo can achieve that with mixed beans then it shouldn't matter 

i have drank espresso for 30 years, home roasted coffee beans, numerous coffee brands, numerous blends, numerous 100% arabicas. some roasters in italy blend extremely well arabica with robusta and also usually offer 100% arabica. they use the best tasting origin country beans arabica and robusta to blend and the final product is excellent. actually having a % robusta increases the "crema" and body of espresso but does not diminish the taste and also makes the price more attractive.  seagafredo as do most  italy roasters also offers a 100% arabica http://www.segafredo.it/en/at-home/coffee/mocha/emozioni-100-arabica.html .     in thailand partly due to high coffee import tax the prices for many coffees is crazy expensive. some brands mark up the price well above the already added import tax. lavazza 250 grams in thailand typically 500 baht or more while you can but the same coffee in cambodia for 150 baht  (usd equivalent) so even if you add 90% import tax the final price is still under 300 baht but they jack up price to 500 or more.  illy is another world famous overpriced coffee that spend lots on marketing. seagafredo beans are priced under lavazza and illy at thailand supermarkets and imo high quality coffee for a better price.

i have used carraro globo oro italy blend because it tastes very nice and it doesnt break the bank. a kilo of beans runs about 30 usd . (15 usd in cambodia lol)

taste wise i prefer seagafredo to lavazza or illy even though it is a blend.  recently seagafredo opened a roasting facility in vietnam and use vietnam beans BUT it seems the price has not gone down much if at all since this would drastically lower import tax under asean. seagafred vietnam is quite decent but i personally prefer the seagafred roasted in italy

argentina is a country of italian immigrants that know their coffee and seagafredo franchises do very well there. seagafredo is also polular with italians in italy.

another thing to keep in mind is how the coffee shop/restaurant preserve their beans. often they do not refrigerate and the heat when the business closes and a/c off rapidly degrades the coffee, any coffee, arabica or blend.

Edited by atyclb

RADI grab & go, at Ploenchit BTS. It is a Chiang Mai coffee shop/farm and they roast their own Arabic coffee. 50 baht before 9 am.

I go there 2-3 times a week at 8 am.

There is another very good CM coffee shop in Bangkok, but it it outside the area you are looking for.

Edited by ExpatOilWorker

Apart from the post before mine - this is an excellent thread.  The replies are varied and excellent - good resource for decent coffee in lower Suk!

Well done everyone who posted (apart from the last one, shame on you.  Don't you know 3-in-1 is far better at Family Mart?)

a word to the wise about single origin thai coffee albeit 100% arabica; usually bitter due to soil-growing conditions. the more experienced thai roasters mix thai beans with other country origin to reduce bitterness.

renowned coffee bean origins include; south america, indonesia, central america, ethiopia, tanzania, and even india, monsooned malabar.

Edited by atyclb

2 hours ago, Argus Tuft said:

Apart from the post before mine - this is an excellent thread.  The replies are varied and excellent - good resource for decent coffee in lower Suk!

Well done everyone who posted (apart from the last one, shame on you.  Don't you know 3-in-1 is far better at Family Mart?)

i drink 3 in 1 from 7 11 and family mart when traveling because i refuse to drink expensive mediocre espresso either at starbucks, hollys, or other similar place. most of the thai bean espresso is bitter

3 hours ago, Argus Tuft said:

2 minutes ago, atyclb said:

i drink 3 in 1 from 7 11 and family mart when traveling because i refuse to drink expensive mediocre espresso either at starbucks, hollys, or other similar place. most of the thai bean espresso is bitter

Thank you - first person I have seen to say the same as my thoughts.

Would rather have a quick 3-in-1 at a Kwik-e-mart than settle for a half-decent "real" coffee

I have no shame in the instant coffee for a quick hot comfort drink on the go.  If a better quality real coffee exists, then that's my first choice.

The jibes at Jean-Luc up the page were in jest...

another place for decent espresso is in the basement level of the building . ploenchit center.   next to jw marriot . sukumwit soi 2.  if i recall correctly they use indonesian beans. it is a freestanding kiosk towards the rear near supermarket. they have their own seating.

6 hours ago, atyclb said:

another place for decent espresso is in the basement level of the building . ploenchit center.   next to jw marriot . sukumwit soi 2.  if i recall correctly they use indonesian beans. it is a freestanding kiosk towards the rear near supermarket. they have their own seating.

I haven't noticed any coffee shops at the basement of Ploenchit Center just before Villa, but there is a nice little coffee shop at the groundfloor, right in the middle of the center under the big atrium.

Now we are in that same area, there is also a big coffee shop under the expressway where Soi Zero use to be. Nothing special, but worth a visit.

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I haven't noticed any coffee shops at the basement of Ploenchit Center just before Villa, but there is a nice little coffee shop at the groundfloor, right in the middle of the center under the big atrium.

Now we are in that same area, there is also a big coffee shop under the expressway where Soi Zero use to be. Nothing special, but worth a visit.

danube coffee

Speaking of 7-11 . . . Their machine americano is quite decent for 25 baht! Consistent, too. Not all 7s have this service but it seems most in Bangkok do. I'd rather drink this than some half-good triple-priced americano from the brand name shops. 7-11 machines also dispense milk/coffee drinks, such as capps and lattes, but I have never tried them because I cannot drink milk. 

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp